Page 69 of 166 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 4131
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Checking in!
    Red Five standing by...

Other than bash guards, I’ve only seen garbage from e13.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Other than bash guards, I’ve only seen garbage from e13.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I had a previous version of their tires and liked them, though they worked better on narrower rims.

The new ones have a rounder profile and should do better on current rim widths.
    Last edited by D(C); 04-07-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Damn you and your modern bikes!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Anyone know why tires start to weep sealant after a while? I've had a few that just started to seep out the sidewalls, and even a few spots mid tread around the knobs. Sometimes the bead too, but that I'd expect. Current tire sealed up with new stans and is holding pressure now, but still has some slow leaks of thin liquid that doesn't seem like latex.

Because bicycle tires that aren't UST tubeless are air permeable. It is leaking air but takes the fluid with it.

Minion SS on the back of my hardtail developed a bubble in the tread. WTF?
    I ordered a new one since I'm guessing I can't ride it like that. Slower shipping now means I don't get it till Tuesday.
    How does that even happen, weak spot in the carcass? It never stopped wheaping sealant, I can tell you that.
    Really wanted to keep it for a while and eventually try the new e13 stuff, but that supply chain seems fucked too.
    Do I really need to get super reenforced tires for xc riding around Missoula if I want the casing to last as long as the tread on any rear tire? Lame. Not even talking wide rims and low pressures. Usually have it around 30psi back there.
    DHF on the front shows ok wear for time installed.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Getting close to ordering a new bike, but in the meantime it was time to get off those kenda sabers. What I liked about them: light, fast, supple. What I didn't like: worrying I was going to slice one open all the time and the minimal grip. Especially now that I have quite a few miles on them and the sharp edges are wearing off. Our trails are that nice, grippy hardpacked dirt and I'm slipping and sliding around a lot compared to when they were new, even though they still look fine.

Went with vittorias this time around, as they have an msrp of like $64 instead of 92 for evo casing schwalbes. That new racing ralph/racing ray combo looks pretty good but I wasn't super thrilled with the cheaper performace/tr/addix casing. They are a good value and pretty durable, and I would generally recommend them, but I like light and supple tires and they were not those things. I understand that tires with actual knobs on them that get ridden a lot faster tend to need a stiffer casing to be supported, but it's not really what you want in an XC tire.

So yeah, got a barzo for the front and a mezcal in the rear

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200514_150239149.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	329064

Name:	IMG_20200514_150217236.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	329065

I pretty much always ride to the trailhead so they spend a lot of time going across town on pavement and that kind of continuous center strip on the mezcal seemed like it'd last longer and roll faster and smoother on roads and hard packed stuff. Only have one short ride as it's been raining pretty much non stop since i put them on (and got rained on today). Seems pretty good. Rolls well, less buzz than the kendas, lighter and smoother than the schwalbes. Put down an identical time as last week on my local climb although i went out a little hot today. faster on the first section, slower at the end, so it felt harder overall.
    Last edited by jamal; 05-20-2020 at 12:26 AM.

I have a tire update as well.

Not sure when I will install

Obligatory "looks like a Minion."

I’ve been playing around with some tire combos, ran a DHF 2.6 front and Nobby Nic 2.6 rear (on 34mm inner rims) all last summer and this winter but after going back to my XC wheelset and running skinny XC tires, I’m going to move to a 2.6 front and 2.35 rear on my all mountain bike. I like the feeling of a giant front tire to gobble up the hits and a smaller rear for better rolling resistance/less squirm on landings

I’ve also tried the Vittoria Barzo, and I’m not a huge fan considering the hype around these tires for low rolling resistance and ease of tubeless set up. Mine feels slower rolling than my NN, and it leaked sealant around one entire side bead for several days before finally sealing up. Yes, the bead was seated perfectly prior to adding sealant.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Finally have some time on the Michelin Wild Enduros I bought last fall. Front and Rear in 2.4.

These things are legit. Definitely not the fastest rolling speed, but the grip is insane. Slick rock or sand. They are basically small moto tires.

Highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Finally have some time on the Michelin Wild Enduros I bought last fall. Front and Rear in 2.4.

These things are legit. Definitely not the fastest rolling speed, but the grip is insane. Slick rock or sand. They are basically small moto tires.

Highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    What compound did you go with?

I have a few rides on my Wild Enduro front Magi-X and Rear Gum-X. Overall, I like them. They are good at digging into soft, loose dirt but feel solid on hardpack. Compared to a DHF or Assegai/DHR combo, the rear feels easier to break loose (but predictable). Rolling speed feels similar to the Minion combo and faster than when an Assegai is involved. On wet rocks and roots, they’re acceptable but less grippy compared to something with more compliant knobs.
    Last edited by D(C); 05-21-2020 at 09:47 AM.

I've got about 35 rides now on the Front/Rear combo (both Gum-X) now, and would agree with all of the above, with the exception of break away. I actually have a much harder time getting the rear to slide than a DHR. There's one corner in particular on a local trail that's steep into a tight right hander, with a catch berm. With a DHR, I can start the slide as soon as I start leaning over and it doesn't take much rear brake to get it to slide into and the bounce off the berm. With the WER, I have to actively push the rear wheel sideways while grabbing rear brake to get a similar affect, and even then the slide starts later and ends earlier.

I'd echo the experience with wet roots, although I think I've only ridden them in the wet like 2 days, and most of the roots here are godawful greasy eucalyptus, which is total anti-grip.

Anyone running dissectors?
    They just came out with an exo+ version, and I am interested.
    Currently running an aggressor out back for reference.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have been using a DHR2 front and Dissector rear for the last couple months and have been super pleased. Dissector rolls really well but offers tons of grip. I feel like you can feel the side lugs flexing before they break loose. That doesn’t sound so good, but actually feels really grippy and consistent. The tire tolerates aggressive lean angles really well.

Actually thought about trying one up front after the first couple times using it, but so far have decided to stick with the DHR2.

edit- I'd be surprised if you didn’t prefer it to Aggressor. Obviously, it’s most similar to HR2, but I prefer it to that one too...

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    So yeah, got a barzo for the front and a mezcal in the rear
    Nice combo. The Mezcal (29 x 2.25) is my go-to for the rear of my SS. Fast, tough, and reasonably grippy. Vittoria's TNT carcass sets up well and doesn't weep.

So far so good. That mezcal does roll really smoothly with that center strip and got me up some steep, loose climbs yesterday. Up front my other previous setup was a nobby nic and I do notice there isn't as much grip but that's pretty obvious.

Ran them through a bunch of rocks yesterday and had no issues, and yeah they went on my wheels and sealed very easily, but with that solid "pop" onto the bead seat you like to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I liked it better than the Aggressor, but it wasn't enough braking for me. The side knobs are better than Aggressor. The center wears fast though.

Is there a big difference in rolling resistance between maxxis 3c Maxxgrip and 3c Maxxterra?

Currently have DD Maxgrip DHF/DHRII on my patrol and feel like I’m dragging a boat anchor when pedaling on flat ground.

Yeah, there's a real difference there. The DHRII is a bit on the slower rolling side in general, but the sticky rubber isn't helping either.

decided that an XC setup was necessary as my DHF 2.6 exo+ and Butcher DD 2.3 with cushcore is both overkill and little slow for the flatter stuff which is most of my riding from home lately.

picked up some treads I haven't been on before which is always exciting. a couple of photos of them mounted up to a 27mm rim and inflated to 30 psi.

for the front:

Name:	dissector.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	329913

looking a little round on the 27mm rim:

Name:	dissector profile1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	429.0 KB 
ID:	329915

for the rear:

Name:	rekon.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	948.1 KB 
ID:	329917

pretty square for a 2.6:

Name:	rekon profile1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	462.5 KB 
ID:	329918

will be getting them out soon and come back if i learn anything interesting
    bumps are for poor people

Cushcore in the rear still? That Exo plus casing fucking sucks IMO. Pinch flatted a half dozen holes already. I've run out of bacon strips.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Cushcore in the rear still? That Exo plus casing fucking sucks IMO. Pinch flatted a half dozen holes already. I've run out of bacon strips.
    this is a second set of wheels and I don't have another cushcore. exo+ is no DD for sure. will just have to run 27 or higher psi but I might have to grab a single XC cc so it can actually be comfortable.
    bumps are for poor people

Looks like a good combo. I hadn't really looked at that dissector. Bike I plan to order comes with rekons and I was thinking about more aggressive front tire options.