Page 115 of 165 FirstFirst ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 4125
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I threw on my XC tires to get used to them before the Dakota 5-0, and I’m having a lot of problems with my 27.5x2.35 Vittoria Mezcal folding in corners (30inner rim with Cush XC @35psi) I know there’s a trade off for weight in a race tire, but does anybody know of a tire with fast rolling tread that’s got a little more sidewall support?

Before you say it, yes, I’m a fucking 200lb princess.
    Maxxis Ikon I swear do not do that.......

but really in longer race you are not pumping corners generally...

I threw on my XC tires to get used to them before the Dakota 5-0, and I’m having a lot of problems with my 27.5x2.35 Vittoria Mezcal folding in corners (30inner rim with Cush XC @35psi) I know there’s a trade off for weight in a race tire, but does anybody know of a tire with fast rolling tread that’s got a little more sidewall support?

I've been running Kenda Booster Pro slt's on my "fast" bike and been surprised at how much I like them. Running them at 20#s or so, but I'm only 150. Can't imagine how bad running a tire at 35# would feel.

Ok tire gurus... question. I'm looking to pick up some gently used DH casing minions and I've noticed there are "exo tr dh casing" versions with no compound logo. So what compound are they? Are these older versions?

Quote Originally Posted by bonewrenched View Post
    Ok tire gurus... question. I'm looking to pick up some gently used DH casing minions and I've noticed there are "exo tr dh casing" versions with no compound logo. So what compound are they? Are these older versions?
    Exo and DH casing are mutually exclusive.

Are those knockoffs? Does the seller have no idea what they're talking about? Was the guy operating the hot patch machine at the factory super drunk? I dunno.

You got a pic?

What kind of a gauge are you using? The ones on bike pumps tend to be fairly inaccurate. I like my topeak d2, whether or not it's actually the pressure in my tires who knows but I've tried a few and they all read the same so I go by that.

Are they the xc-trail or tanwall race casing? I haven't tried the tanwalls, which are thinner, but the regular ones are probably stiffer than like a 120tpi exo maxxis. Personally I prefer to have a thinner tire that requires more pressure to stay supported vs using the stiffness of the casing. End result is the same but there's less rolling resistance.

And, uh, on my gauge I run 21psi in my rear 2.25 mezcal on a 30mm rim (but weigh 160).

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Exo and DH casing are mutually exclusive.

Are those knockoffs? Does the seller have no idea what they're talking about? Was the guy operating the hot patch machine at the factory super drunk? I dunno.

You got a pic?
    Hey I had the same thought but can't claim to know every verse of the Maxxis Bible.

Two pics from two separate ads:

I thought all white logo Maxxis were OEM?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I thought all white logo Maxxis were OEM?
    It's the Maxxis logo that's the point of differentiation, not the tire name. "Minion DHF" is always white.

The Maxxis catalog only lists a 29x2.5 DH DHF in MaxxGrip, but those tires are labeled as such. So I have no idea what's going on there.

Plenty of DH casing Minions also say exo. I think it's something that they started doing (for unknown reasons), but they may have since stopped (presumably because it's confusing).

But anyways, the ones in the picture are the normal DH casing.

New tires mini review:
    I picked up a set of Hutchinson Griffus 2.5s a few weeks ago (from CRC, about $52ea shipped), which turned out to be the single ply version. I've been very pleasantly surprised with these for summer NorCal conditions (loose, loose over hard). Tire profile unsurprisingly looks similar to a DHF, although less of a transition gap. The side rubber knobs feels very soft, on par with MG. They just seem to be constantly clawing for grip, even in loose. Once the knobs dig down through dust or sand and find something firm, they grab and hold. The 2.5 mounted out back is harder to break loose than a DHR (or Dissector of course). I haven't been riding anywhere with rocks, so can't comment on puncture resistance, but the center tread appears to be wearing at similar rate to MT. After inflation on 30mm internal rims, casing measures 2.5" and knobs are about 2.46". This wider casing seems to contribute to the side knob support - either less fold marks at my usual Maxxis pressure, or able to run 1 psi less with similar level of folding.

I am curious to try out the 2.4 version at some point now, but I've got a huge pile of tires I need to work through, so not sure when I'll get to it.

I do like them better than the new Spec Butcher T9 2.6, which I also tried recently. And they have a much less wooden feel than Michelin Wild Enduros.

Thanks for that review - I was looking at that tire too, but didn't really need them immediately, so didn't pick them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Plenty of DH casing Minions also say exo. I think it's something that they started doing (for unknown reasons), but they may have since stopped (presumably because it's confusing).

But anyways, the ones in the picture are the normal DH casing.
    Huh. Not doubting you, but just went through my pile out of curiosity, and none of them do. Either way, I think we can all agree that the double labeling is very stupid.

And that Griffus 2.5 is a really good dry condition tire. I think a lot of the magic is that they've got really sticky rubber over a very hard base, so there's good grip, but the side knobs aren't as squirmy as, say, MaxxGrip. I've only ridden the double ply version, but I love that casing too. Pretty burly (seems roughly on par with DD) but much more supple and less wooden feeling.

They're not great on wet roots, but for a summer tire they're awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Huh. Not doubting you, but just went through my pile out of curiosity, and none of them do. Either way, I think we can all agree that the double labeling is very stupid.
    Yeah, my current ones don't. But I had some maybe a year ago that did. I only remember because I was similarly confused at the time.

Nice review on the Hutchinson. Sounds like that compound works well and the dual ply casing is coming in under 1200 grams. Could be a great option for some. I too have a "pile of tires" to try out soon. Venturing away from my Exo+ Assegai/DHF/DHR setup, and going with heavier duty casings for my bike park wheelset. Got some DHF/DHR DD maxxgrip, Kenda Pinner AGC, and EThirteen LG1 Enduro Mopo. Going to bring two wheelsets and excited to try them back to back to really feel them out.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, my current ones don't. But I had some maybe a year ago that did. I only remember because I was similarly confused at the time.
    Thanks for the clarification!

Front or Rear?

Generally my XC tires BBRRRAAAPPPPPPP (in the rear) before they fold.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Front or Rear?

Generally my XC tires BBRRRAAAPPPPPPP (in the rear) before they fold.
    Rear.

Also had Ikon 2.2 on last year but wanted a little more volume and it also wasn’t confidence-inspiring in sidewall strength.

And yes I realize XC tires aren’t going to support like DH casings but if we separate fire characteristics into two categories, it’s tread aggressiveness/rolling resistance and then casing stiffness. Yes going with a less supple casing will also affect rolling resistance but I’d guess there’s somebody making a thicker sidewall with a fast tread out there for bigger boys like me.

Looking for a front tire recommendation. I ride in dry/loose over hard, nothing too rocky, standard intermountain west type stuff. I'm thinking DHR 2.6 or Assegai 2.5 might work well. rode WTB vigilante front and trail boss rear for a long time, mainly because I could get 2 WTB for the cost of one maxxis tire but I did like this combo. also rode 2.6 vigilante front and warn out vigilante 2.5 rear than that seemed to work well too. Recently got a dissector 2.4 EXO+ since my rear tire was toast, not sure if I'm into it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by troth View Post
    Looking for a front tire recommendation. I ride in dry/loose over hard, nothing too rocky, standard intermountain west type stuff. I'm thinking DHR 2.6 or Assegai 2.5 might work well. rode WTB vigilante front and trail boss rear for a long time, mainly because I could get 2 WTB for the cost of one maxxis tire but I did like this combo. also rode 2.6 vigilante front and warn out vigilante 2.5 rear than that seemed to work well too. Recently got a dissector 2.4 EXO+ since my rear tire was toast, not sure if I'm into it yet.
    Michelin Rock'R2 Enduro.

Oh, wait.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1629064985.202354.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	312.5 KB 
ID:	382402
    Try something new out back on the DH bike.
    Was having a hard time finding DHR MaxTerra and didn’t want to kerp burning through MaxGrip rears. $60 vs $110 was compelling too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Im putting on my eliminator soon. The bike park has killed 2 big betty soft componds and my newish mich dh22 looks like itll be dead soon. The big betty soft and dh34 dh casing i have on the front of each bike still have tons of life. With the super dry conditions i really see the need for an ultra soft bb or mm up front now. I can empathize with the maribor conditions.
    Im waiting for the dh 34 bike parks to be back in stock. Check the price and description on these.
    https://www.bike24.com/p2366175.html...,1868,1951,103

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Loving my eliminator in a 29x2.3 T7 in Idaho. Seems like it was a little leaky, but after re-taping a wheel and adding new sealant, it’s holding air nicely. Great climbing traction and breaking traction while still rolling, and seems like side lugs are the same as on the butcher. For the price you can’t beat it in this day and age when tires are so expensive and hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Im putting on my eliminator soon. The bike park has killed 2 big betty soft componds and my newish mich dh22 looks like itll be dead soon. The big betty soft and dh34 dh casing i have on the front of each bike still have tons of life. With the super dry conditions i really see the need for an ultra soft bb or mm up front now. I can empathize with the maribor conditions.
    Im waiting for the dh 34 bike parks to be back in stock. Check the price and description on these.
    https://www.bike24.com/p2366175.html...,1868,1951,103

How's your experience with ordering from bike24? Saw the low prices before but didn't have any ordering confidence

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    Loving my eliminator in a 29x2.3 T7 in Idaho. Seems like it was a little leaky, but after re-taping a wheel and adding new sealant, it’s holding air nicely. Great climbing traction and breaking traction while still rolling, and seems like side lugs are the same as on the butcher. For the price you can’t beat it in this day and age when tires are so expensive and hard to find.

That sounds good. Im going to wear either the bb or dh22 to near bald before i put my eliminator on but that wont be long
    How's your experience with ordering from bike24? Saw the low prices before but didn't have any ordering confidence
    No problems. Wiggle/chainreaction/bike24 are all owned by the same company now. I think bike24 was less hassle than crc was and they have some different items and better prices on a bunch of things. They must be still operated seperately. Im in a rural area and couriers wont come to the property outside town or deliver to po boxes and crc is less than consistent on their shipping method even though i select "post" and pay duty/taxes up front. I have it figured now where i put both a physical address in town(for courier) and my po box(incase its post) on my shipping instructions and it works well that way but that took a while to get dialed after they would inexplicably change the shipping method. Bike24 was quick and straightforward from the get go. They even put when they expect out of stock items to be back in stock

I bought a brakeset and other stuff from them a year or two ago. Zero problems.
    However many are in a shit ton.