Page 42 of 166 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 4130
    Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    Nobby Nic is a good tire, ran it before in 2.35, 2.6 and 2.8. Not as durable as Maxxis, sidewalls tear easily, so I switched back to Maxxis a while ago. My brother was on the 2.8 spec'd with his Ibis Mojo 3 for a while and also liked them but has the same issues as me...flatting them both out multiple times and switching over to Maxxis. I'd say it's my shitty riding style but my last pair of Maxxis held up for 1,000+ miles without a single flat, riding the same trails as I did with the Nobbys. They are also more expensive and harder to find on sale as the DHF/DHR's.
    Yeah - what you're describing is a shitty tire.

Of course, I flatted a brand new Maxxis DHR EXO on my *FIRST* ride on it... so it may be me.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Went to the LBS today and chatted with an employee who is also racing this weekend. Seemed to know his shit. He had a good point. The weather is calling for actual rain all day Sunday which should make it wet/puddled enough that it won't be as sticky as "rained on the day before and starting to dry peanut butter". I think I am just gonna stick with the DHF. If this was pure DH it would be a different story, but there is quite a bit of pedaling on 2 of the stages and they are the longest. I lost alot of time on those two stages when running the Shorty. Loose in some of the turns will be worth it to roll fast on the long pedally sections.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah - what you're describing is a shitty tire.

Of course, I flatted a brand new Maxxis DHR EXO on my *FIRST* ride on it... so it may be me.

It's a good tire when it's working... Of course any tire can flat at any time for any reason... Good results with Maxxis + durability and low cost is why I ditched the Nobby's.

It's a good tire when it's working... Of course any tire can flat at any time for any reason... Good results with Maxxis + durability and low cost is why I ditched the Nobby's.
    I'm just bitter because I detest flimsy sidewalls on tires. For me, that puts it right into the "shitty tire" category. YMMV.

Not everyone needs DH sidewalls. Snake skin is a piece of tissue and it revolutionized tire technology for most users. That plus Stans helped kill Mavic UST. The sidewalls no longer needed to be stiff and a tight air seal.

I agree... I know there's different compounds/sidewalls that might have better results but I don't see myself switching from Maxxis anytime soon... I'm curious about other brands but a DHR/DHF EXO TR 3C can be found for ~$50-60 a pop...

Anyone on the new Michelin enduro shit?

Do the German brands still run small and die after 5 minutes?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Not everyone needs DH sidewalls.
    I agree.

I, however, apparently need more than EXO. Michelin's Advanced Reinforced seems to be the sweet spot for my hackitude. That and I just LOVE the tread of the Wild Rock'R2.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Do the German brands still run small and die after 5 minutes?
    Certainly not the former. The 2.35 Hans Dampfs on the wife's bike are as big as my DHF 2.5WT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Certainly not the former. The 2.35 Hans Dampfs on the wife's bike are as big as my DHF 2.5WT.
    Yeah - I had some HD's and they were HUGE volume-wise. Sidewalls sucked, though.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

It’s interesting to read about all the flat tires people get on the internet.

I just had over 30 riders between Brevard and Fruita do four days each, and not a single flat tire. No sidewall tears, no pinch flats. We’ve done Moab trips with no flats, too. And they had EXO and Schwalbe Addix compound tires... not a single DD or Super Gravity casing to be seen. Of course, these guys aren’t enduro or DH racers, but there were some rippin mountain bikers for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post

I just had over 30 riders between Brevard and Fruita do four days each, and not a single flat tire. No sidewall tears, no pinch flats. We’ve done Moab trips with no flats, too. And they had EXO and Schwalbe Addix compound tires... not a single DD or Super Gravity casing to be seen. Of course, these guys aren’t enduro or DH racers, but there were some rippin mountain bikers for sure.
    Yeah, last time I had a problem with flats was a few years ago when I was ripping through rock gardens at Keystone with the thin sidewalk DHFs. Went with Highrollers w/ thicker casing on the rear w/ Stans and now no problems. Now I'm gonna jinx myself though.

I know why I get flats, it's because I ride much faster than my skill level and have terrible line choice. People tend not to do that on demo bikes where they might be responsible for buying a bike/parts that's not theirs (I don't know what your policies are regarding damage, I'm just assuming that the client is responsible as that's usually the case with demos unless you buy insurance).

After years of riding and I'm still convinced the Maxxis DHF/DHF is the best tire out there. Price, grip, longevity/durability are hard to beat.
    FIFY

(although I have a DHR II in waiting)

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I know why I get flats, it's because I ride much faster than my skill level and have terrible line choice. People tend not to do that on demo bikes where they might be responsible for buying a bike/parts that's not theirs (I don't know what your policies are regarding damage, I'm just assuming that the client is responsible as that's usually the case with demos unless you buy insurance).
    Nope, we cover all damage unless it’s due to negligence.

Minions w/ Exo have treated me very well in the flats department for years.
    I would try Schwalbe, except for:
    1. Cost
    2. Haven’t figured out their compound/sidewall language yet
    3. Minions

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Nope, we cover all damage unless it’s due to negligence.
    I just need to say; That Is Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Zero ews racers use exo weight tires. Total hacks the lot of them. Half the races they're on full dh casings and only run 1100g tires when they can

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I know why I get flats, it's because I ride much faster than my skill level and have terrible line choice.
    This is also my issue. And I'm not willing to go slower and pick/choose better lines 'cause I don't wanna.

This is also my issue. And I'm not willing to go slower and pick/choose better lines 'cause I don't wanna.

I didn't buy a 6"+ bike to wiggle my way around rocks and roots. I'm plowing through that shit!

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I didn't buy a 6"+ bike to wiggle my way around rocks and roots. I'm plowing through that shit!
    Bingo. And that means 1000g+ tires. Especially out back. EXO ain't gonna cut it.

Bingo. And that means 1000g+ tires. Especially out back. EXO ain't gonna cut it.
    What GG are you on? I'm on an OG Megatrail

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    What GG are you on? I'm on an OG Megatrail
    I'm not. Just used that photo for the badge.

I tried the Megatrail but the long/low/slack didn't work for me (originally demo'd a L). I had to size down to a M to make it handle like I wanted, and that presented "too small a bike" issues (I'm 6'2"-ish).

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Minions w/ Exo have treated me very well in the flats department for years.
    I would try Schwalbe, except for:
    1. Cost
    $35 on bike-discount.de. Magic Mary is the best front tire I’ve ever used.

I wonder this too. I ride 3-4 days a week and I think I've gotten 2 flat tires in the last 3 seasons. I credit not running low tire pressure. At 185 lbs. I'm quite happy with 28-30 psi in my tires.