Page 45 of 166 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 4148
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Where'd you find it in stock? I'm interested in giving it a go myself also. The Maxxis shop site only has the DH version. My usual go-tos (Jenson, WWC, Fanatik) don't have it.
    If your shop uses BTI, they should be able to order ya one. Appears to be in stock at BTI...

But, will they let you just roll over a mess of off camber roots like nothing’s there? Or do they make roots a little better for people who already have root skillz?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    But, will they let you just roll over a mess of off camber roots like nothing’s there? Or do they make roots a little better for people who already have root skillz?

The second one.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    If your shop uses BTI, they should be able to order ya one. Appears to be in stock at BTI...
    Thanks, not sure what system they use but I'll give them a holler.

There is no tire that will grip well on wet roots. The only thing that’s helped me is a ton of exposure. Doing a couple DH races in pissing rain really forced me to learn. Until then, all roots were a terrifying mystery
    I've had good experiences with the Terrene Chunk in the terminal wet that has been the thing here in the NE for the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Wait, Jamal, are you trying to say that 770g on a front 29er tire is heavy?
    For racing XC, yes. The Kendas claim to be around 540g each so I'm saving over a full pound just on tires. The nice evo/ss schwalbes are also significantly lighter than the performance/tr/ versions. And the performance ones are heavier and narrower than advertised. So I was pretty annoyed by that part. If you are less concerned with weight and speed they seemed like pretty good tires for the price though.

Next thing I'd like to try are some vittorias. Was thinking about a barzo front, peyote rear before I got the Kendas. Those are like $65 msrp.
    Last edited by jamal; 06-10-2019 at 08:43 PM.

Where'd you find it in stock? I'm interested in giving it a go myself also. The Maxxis shop site only has the DH version. My usual go-tos (Jenson, WWC, Fanatik) don't have it.
    Jenson USA, hopefully I ordered the correct tire...

Your search fu is weak
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Maxxis-Assegai-275-Trail-Tire
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Maxxis-Assegai-29-Trail-Tire

In stock in all but one configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    Jenson USA, hopefully I ordered the correct tire...
    Looks they have the 2C EXO version in stock. Was looking for 3C myself.

Just ordered a 2.5 WT Aggressor double down for park season. First time running anything other than a DHR2 in a while, but I need a bit more support in back than the exo casing. Wider than usual, we'll see how it goes.

There is no tire that will grip well on wet roots. The only thing that’s helped me is a ton of exposure. Doing a couple DH races in pissing rain really forced me to learn. Until then, all roots were a terrifying mystery to me.

I'll refine my thinking a bit then...

What tire would be faster rolling than a DHR2 in the 3c compound, still fairly grippy in general, and also not have a huge disparity between wet grip and dry grip? If that is still too goldilocks, maybe I'll just run the SE4 and call it good... but I do wish that dealt with the slick a *little* bit better and/or had slightly bigger side knobs

+1 for Conti on wet roots. I warped the light casing mountain king, and I got a protection mountain king as replacement. They have really good grip on cambered wet roots.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Right, but German tires last about 5 minutes on the smoothest of dirt. Fuck that shit.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

My new assegai on the front sent me OTB. Huge levels of grip if you have the legs for it.

Quote Originally Posted by thechad View Post
    My new assegai on the front sent me OTB. Huge levels of grip if you have the legs for it.
    When I first installed a Wild Rock'R2 on the front of my old Reign I rode Buff Crik as my 1st ride, which is well known as a loose-ass kitty litter place to ride.

I kept inadvertently cutting corners WAY too much on the inside because the grip was so good. It really took some getting used to having that much traction.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    When I first installed a Wild Rock'R2 on the front of my old Reign I rode Buff Crik as my 1st ride, which is well known as a loose-ass kitty litter place to ride.

I kept inadvertently cutting corners WAY too much on the inside because the grip was so good. It really took some getting used to having that much traction.
    I was worried they were phasing them out in favor of the enduro. Chain reaction had limited on sale stock of 26" for a few months and that was it. Back in stock . Magic x replacement ordered. Sketchier than normal with a 2 yrs + old on on the front atm. Side knobs have lost their magix at this point

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

So what is the deal with the new Assguy vs DHF or, in Specialized's case, Eliminator vs Butcher?
    More forgiving? Faster rolling? Squarer? Rounder? Front? Rear? They look like good tires, but it seems like they would overlap. Especially when you add in things like the Slaughter (way more grip than you think) or the Aggressor.
    Heavily detailed Blister review forthcoming?
    No longer stuck.

So what is the deal with the new Assguy vs DHF or, in Specialized's case, Eliminator vs Butcher?
    More forgiving? Faster rolling? Squarer? Rounder? Front? Rear? They look like good tires, but it seems like they would overlap. Especially when you add in things like the Slaughter (way more grip than you think) or the Aggressor.
    Heavily detailed Blister review forthcoming?
    I haven't ridden the Assguy. But a buddy had them on his bike right next to my DHF and I can say that without a doubt the knobs are way taller on the assguy. It also has intermediate cornering knobs, the DHF does not. Without riding it, my theory is it would have more grip in loose conditions with less drift at low lean angles.

Most intermediate knob tires do the opposite. They just push the traction past the actual edging knobs(nevegalitis). Assguy was flavor of the week, now I see most just using them as an aggressive rear tire and going back to the dhf on the front. Kind of related but same thing happened to the scwalbe eddy current. Aggressive lugs , super burley, almost moto. People tried running it on the front. It ended up on the rear with magic Mary back on the front. Less predictable with the intermediate knobs. Brosnan's proto tire looks good or atleast better. Nicely ramped to so it should roll fast. They could ditch both the assguy and aggressor in that case. Theyll still probably flat though

Quote Originally Posted by thechad View Post
    I usually run a shorty or Magic Marry depending on the season. I was impressed with the Assgai while riding off-camber on granite and sections with a lot of roots. I cannot tell you if its actually better than the others because its a new tire with a sticky compound & DH casing.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/17335621/

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Most intermediate knob tires do the opposite. They just push the traction past the actual edging knobs(nevegalitis).
    Can you elaborate more on this? Will all front tires with transition knobs suffer this, or just ones with big/frequent ones? Cause the Magic Mary has fairly frequent transition knobs (essentially every other row) and I think of it as fairly predictable.

I actually just mounted up a pair of DHRs F/R, from DHF/Aggressor. It's getting to be the usual loose over hard in NorCal, which on one of my favorite local trails which is fairly steep becomes a problem for the Aggressor. (Hard to bleed speed before corners.) I know the DHR brakes better in the rear, but figured I'd try it out front too since the ramped knobs should roll better than the DHF. Is that why people cut the transition knobs on the DHR on the front?

So, maybe for more mixed conditions? They have some pretty stout side knobs, so they can't be total Nevegal. I could see really aggressive rear tire (but not for me).
    No longer stuck.

Can you elaborate more on this? Will all front tires with transition knobs suffer this, or just ones with big/frequent ones? Cause the Magic Mary has fairly frequent transition knobs (essentially every other row) and I think of it as fairly predictable.

I actually just mounted up a pair of DHRs F/R, from DHF/Aggressor. It's getting to be the usual loose over hard in NorCal, which on one of my favorite local trails which is fairly steep becomes a problem for the Aggressor. (Hard to bleed speed before corners.) I know the DHR brakes better in the rear, but figured I'd try it out front too since the ramped knobs should roll better than the DHF. Is that why people cut the transition knobs on the DHR on the front?
    I haven't tried the assguy or the eddy current. Just reports I've seen. The intermediate knobs are tighter spacing than the magic Mary's. I liked the mm apart from wearing out fairly quick and a bit easier to puncture. Still I prefer dhf over the mm slightly. It's more definitive onto the edge. Mm is better in mud. Haven't tried it but Michelin wild enduro front reminds me of a mm with a more aggressive side knob. I have a wild enduro rear and center knobs are shorter so it rolls well but I've been surprised where I can take it. Gives up a little in the steeps but it still hooks up throwing it side to side with the burley side knobs. Good compromise for a rear in the double down type weight range

Going to take back any thoughts on the assguy. Has more space than I thought/remembered around the intermediates. Definitely not as tight as the eddy current. Actually could be a decent option around home. What about wtb? They seem to have a lot of nice looking treads. This vigilante looks assaguyesque

https://www.instagram.com/p/By3R9Hcl...=1dxg2y1562twr

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Going to take back any thoughts on the assguy. Has more space than I thought/remembered around the intermediates. Definitely not as tight as the eddy current. Actually could be a decent option around home. What about wtb? They seem to have a lot of nice looking treads. This vigilante looks assaguyesque

https://www.instagram.com/p/By3R9Hcl...=1dxg2y1562twr

The knobs on the Vigilante are about half the size of the knobs on the assguy. Yeah the tread pattern is similar, but I doubt they're at all comparable in how they feel on dirt.