Page 123 of 164 FirstFirst ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 4099
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

lol

Do you have some sort of alert set up for the word Kenda.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    That's interesting, since there's virtually no reviews online anywhere about the new tires.

Maybe their next release will be replacements for the Race King, Cross King, and Trail King? I think the Xynotals are pretty good for most trail riding... definitely not an XC tire, but they roll plenty fast. They're similar to a Maxxis Dissector, IMO.
    I was lookign at them for a rear... they kinda remind me of a Kaiser Apex which I really liked on the back as much better all condition tire than a Dissector which sucked in mud/wet while still being faster than DHR. Super ramped knobs = nice on a rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    lol

Do you have some sort of alert set up for the word Kenda.
    I do...

Name:  PTSD-dog.png
Views: 380
Size:  470.6 KB

I’ve only got a few rides on them so far, but I’ve been impressed by the new Vittoria Syerra. ~850g with a substantial casing, these seem like they’ll wind up being my go to fast rolling tire. I absolutely hate the giant red hot patch though, fucking hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    I was lookign at them for a rear... they kinda remind me of a Kaiser Apex which I really liked on the back as much better all condition tire than a Dissector which sucked in mud/wet while still being faster than DHR. Super ramped knobs = nice on a rear.
    I might have talked myself into another Kaiser Apex on the back to replace the Betty

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    I wouldn’t have any interest in pushing around a 2.6 29er no matter what it weighed.
    1040g (stated spec) for a 29x2.4 trail casing seems quite competitive though I do find it strange that weight spec seems to same irrespective of tread pattern.
    Would be interested if anyone has tried them.
    Man, I'd love if my e13 AT came in a 2.6 up front. They seem to be getting out of the tire game.
    Also seems like semi slicks once again came and went. Is something like a Rekon or Martello that much better?
    E13's very generous 2.35 SS is way faster than a much smaller 2.3 Aggressor.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Schwalbe Rock Razor semi slick rules. You better know how to handle the drift or your gonna hate it. I absolutely love it for most Colorado terrian.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Old:
    I'll eventually do something better for the Gravity setup, like a Mazza 2 Ply 2.6 / 2.4
    This is a killer tire setup
    Mazza question on 2.6 vs 2.4

My biggest reason for using DHRs over DHF was the DHF's empty channels between the center and shoulder knobs that left the tire feeling vague when not vertical or hard leaned... empty channels that just got wider with wider casings accentuating the vague drifting problem such that I felt more secure on a 2.35DHF than a 2.5 because when Maxxis grew the casing, they kept the knobs all the same size, just increasing the spacing between the side knobs from the center tread. IMO this vagueness problem on wider DHFs is the primary reason that people liked Mary's and Michelins... and why Maxis created the Assegai.

The Mazza is DHFish but doesn't have a giant empty channel... at least not on the 2.4. Has anyone looked at a 2.6 side by side with a 2.4 to see if it has a larger empty channel or if Vittoria compensated lug size/spacing to avoid this?

I'll answer your Mazza 2.6 to 2.4 in a few days. Been running a 2.4 for a while but got a 2.6 to replace it.

My biggest reason for using DHRs over DHF was the DHF's empty channels between the center and shoulder knobs that left the tire feeling vague when not vertical or hard leaned... empty channels that just got wider with wider casings accentuating the vague drifting problem such that I felt more secure on a 2.35DHF than a 2.5 because when Maxxis grew the casing, they kept the knobs all the same size, just increasing the spacing between the side knobs from the center tread. IMO this vagueness problem on wider DHFs is the primary reason that people liked Mary's and Michelins... and why Maxis created the Assegai.

The Mazza is DHFish but doesn't have a giant empty channel... at least not on the 2.4. Has anyone looked at a 2.6 side by side with a 2.4 to see if it has a larger empty channel or if Vittoria compensated lug size/spacing to avoid this?
    Funny, I wouldn't call that vague.. but that drift that scares the crap out of you until you just lean your bike is real.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Funny, I wouldn't call that vague.. but that drift that scares the crap out of you until you just lean your bike is real.
    While I'm a much better biker now than I was when I used to run DHFs.... ya I commit to full leans, I just don't see the advantage of only having the choice of full lean or straight up-and-down if I don't want drift. Some people like the drift and use it to move their line to the outside, but that's not part of my riding style.

The advantage of that channel is that there aren't intermediate knobs interfering with the shoulder knobs preventing them from digging in and gripping. It makes it possible to reliably rail turns and makes the tire much more predictable, making it easier to find the breaking point so that you can push the tire without worrying about it unexpectedly breaking loose (Nevegal). FWIW, I'm a Maxxis fanboi but rarely drift intentionally. I ride them because they corner well and are predictable (some more than others).
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

While I'm a much better biker now than I was when I used to run DHFs.... ya I commit to full leans, I just don't see the advantage of only having the choice of full lean or straight up-and-down if I don't want drift. Some people like the drift and use it to move their line to the outside, but that's not part of my riding style.
    The advantage is that tires without transitional knobs can (theoretically) yield more grip at maximum lean. Grip is just a function of the knobs digging into the dirt, and the more pressure on any given knob, the more it can dig in. If you have a side knob trying to dig into the dirt, it'll do that better if there's nothing around it - all the pressure is directed onto that knob. If you add an in-board transitional knob next to it, some of the pressure on that side knob is now being directed into the transitional knob, but (on a fully leaned bike), that transitional knob isn't situated correctly to really dig into the dirt, so the end result is just less pressure on the side knob, and therefore less grip. So a tire with transitional knobs will corner better at moderate lean angles, but if you're fully leaned over, a tire without transitional knobs will yield more grip.

Of course, the details matter, and the dirt matters. In legitimately soft dirt, transitional knobs probably aren't really reducing the pressure on the side knobs much at all. And a lot of corners don't really favor maximum lean angles, so the benefits of a channeled tire are a bit lost.

Also worth noting that most of the successful tires that have transitional knobs have transitional knobs that are pretty small, and pretty spaced out. Both Assegai and Magic Mary have small-ish transitional knobs every other row, so there's a bit more grip at moderate lean angles, but the tires largely function like a channeled tire (just with a bit less driftiness in the transition). Compare that to something like the Nevegal that has big transitional knobs on every row, which results in death.

edit: bagtagley beat me to it with 90% less words. Funny that we both picked on the Nevegal though. That tire sucked.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

What’s your use for the 2.6?

I’m running a 2.4 Mazza and it’s the same size as my Aggressor 2.5”. Reading reviews, the 2.6 doesn’t seem that much wider than the 2.4 and there’s a significant weight penalty. Unless you really need as wide a Mazza as you can get, I’d go 2.4.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    edit: bagtagley beat me to it with 90% less words. Funny that we both picked on the Nevegal though. That tire sucked.
    And to prove your point, BITD people made the Nevs less sucky by snipping off every-other transition knob.

Now, for a back tire, I like a bit of drift, as I suck at riding bikes but like to go reasonably fast... so it helps the rear end come around for me.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

<snip> the Nevegal results in death.
    Pretty sure we can all agree on this...

I appreciate the tire guru commentary!
    Compare that to something like the Nevegal that has big transitional knobs on every row, which results in death.

The Nevegal had a safety factor: it was too slow to need extra grip but seriously though, I tried Nevegal after running DHF/DHF, hated Nevegal, and went to the Marys (good slow) then to DHR2 (good fast).

Yea the Nevegal is on the list of bad ole tires next to the DHR1.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    What’s your use for the 2.6?

I’m running a 2.4 Mazza and it’s the same size as my Aggressor 2.5”. Reading reviews, the 2.6 doesn’t seem that much wider than the 2.4 and there’s a significant weight penalty. Unless you really need as wide a Mazza as you can get, I’d go 2.4.
    Gravity to replace 2.6 DHR...

Trail wheels: 2.4 Mazza Trail / 2.4 Dissector Exo+

Gravity wheels... Mazza 2.6 Trail? vs 2.4 Enduro? / Kaiser Projekt 2.4

Yea going to the Enduro casing and/or the 2.6 seems to add 300-400g to the Mazza!

FWIW the 2.4 Mazza on my one bike is only slightly narrower than the 2.5 Assguy on the other bike. I do think the Mazza feels a LOT like a DHF but with less vagueness at moderate lean angles. They have slightly less maximum grip than the Assguys, but roll much faster. It's been long enough since I ran a DHF that it's hard for me to directly compare maximum grip DHF vs. Mazza but I think they're pretty damn similar, at least in the loose sandy soil around here.

I did quite a bit of back to back testing of the DHF and Assegai as a front tire last season, and ended up preferring the DHF. Theres no doubt that the Assegai has some more grip, and more grip at shallow lean angles. But I felt like the transitional knobs of the Assegai did not allow me to easily lean the bike over that far. Like you would hit the transition knobs and it did not really want to lean much further than that. The DHF seem more versatile in the sense that I could hit all lean angles much easier, and get it to lean over further more comfortably.

This year going to also try some Hutchinson Griffus 2.5/2.4 trail casing with Tubolight Evo HD inserts. Will be interesting to see have that setup works!

Were the assegais squared off? What rim width?

Assguys look like a boat anchor.

I have never noticed any SS treads being drifty. If anything they can produce a weird feeling where they lock in more quickly than the front. Sometimes manufacturers compensate for this with side knob design.
    Because the center knobs are so small, if you lean at all they start hooking up.
    As I'm riding harder and learning to corner better, I do wish the e13 AT was rounder.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Assguys look like a boat anchor.
    My new bike last year came with assegai, 2.5 front and back. So far I’ve been happy with them. Came from DHF/DHR on the last bike. Many variables have changed from old bike to new bike but the assegais seem to have better traction and I’m more comfortable leaning the bike in corners. Im slow uphill regardless of tire. I’m able to carry more speed this year but that could be 27.5 to 29 or Chris King hubs to I9 hubs. I’ll keep the tires until they are worn and see what’s out there when it’s time to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Continental had a HUGE booth at Sea Otter and was really making a slash about the new tires. They all looked like lift/shuttle serve models to me, so i asked them if they were going to make some that suited those who liked to pedal. They said more new models are in the pipeline, presumably to be similarly inscrutably named. Their sales pitch about using casing tech developed on the road tires rang true: the GP5000 is a really great tire with very low rolling resistance while also being pretty durable.

After finally giving up on repairing the knob I tore out of a Vittoria Agarro I put a 2.4 Pirelli Scorpion R on the rear. I like it so far: it's a bit grippier than the Agarro but rolls about the same. I have the matching front but the Kenda Hellcat I'm running now seems indestructible, so it might be a bit.
    I've got a set of the new Contis on the way to replace my hammered-out Butcher/Slaughter combo.

Thanks for the advice in this thread. Once I've got some miles on them I'll post my shitty review.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Were the assegais squared off? What rim width?
    Assegais were 2.5 width mounted on a 30mm internal rim. Its been a while since I had them mounted so not sure how squared off they were. But it was clear that leaning them over was a different feel that the DHF, and personally I preferred how the DHF felt.