Page 70 of 165 FirstFirst ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 4105
    Yeah once you go CC it is no going back

I debated XC version but went Pro on carbon wheelset. Heavier but eats rocks

I don't get the Dissector. It looks like another case of new for the sake of new, and not newer and better. Faster High Roller, maybe? I guess I could see that.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I don't get the Dissector. It looks like another case of new for the sake of new, and not newer and better. Faster High Roller, maybe? I guess I could see that.
    they prob could have gotten away with calling it an HR III. the side channels are much more clearly defined and the center strip has significantly less ramp. don’t have an HR II to compare but from what i remember the knobs on the dissector seem bigger. possibly not faster as a result.
    bumps are for poor people

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    What compound did you go with?

I have a few rides on my Wild Enduro front Magi-X and Rear Gum-X. Overall, I like them. They are good at digging into soft, loose dirt but feel solid on hardpack. Compared to a DHF or Assegai/DHR combo, the rear feels easier to break loose (but predictable). Rolling speed feels similar to the Minion combo and faster than when an Assegai is involved. On wet rocks and roots, they’re acceptable but less grippy compared to something with more compliant knobs.
    Front MagiXand rear GumiX.

I will say the compound seems softer and more compliant than the Maxxis of all varieties, but they will probably wear out twice as fast. I already have a couple knobs on the rear breaking off after riding lots of slickrock stuff in UT. Not a ton of miles by any means though. Like literally 100-120 miles on the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    they prob could have gotten away with calling it an HR III. the side channels are much more clearly defined and the center strip has significantly less ramp. don’t have an HR II to compare but from what i remember the knobs on the dissector seem bigger. possibly not faster as a result.
    I just put a Dissector on the rear and also have a brand new HRII siting in the garage. Going to run the Dissector for a few rides and can report back.

I’ve been riding DHF + DHRII combo in multiple variations for years on all my bikes, so we shall see how this plays out
    You should have been here yesterday!

Any of you like using the HR II for a rear tire? Thinking about trying it.

Seems OK on the front, but I'm seeing undercutting on the side knobs fairly quickly, so may be time to move that HR to the rear and use it up there. Those side knobs aren't supported as well as a DHF or DHR II.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Front MagiXand rear GumiX.

I will say the compound seems softer and more compliant than the Maxxis of all varieties, but they will probably wear out twice as fast. I already have a couple knobs on the rear breaking off after riding lots of slickrock stuff in UT. Not a ton of miles by any means though. Like literally 100-120 miles on the tires.
    According to an app I use, I have 325 km (200 mi) and 33 h of moving time on mine. I agree that they look to be wearing somewhat quickly. The cornering knobs on the front Magi-X have rounded off a bit, and a few of the rear knobs are starting to tear.

Compared to DHF/DHR or Assegai/DHR combos, I think the only place the Michelins do better is soft, loose, dry conditions where the tire can punch through. But I think the Maxxis tires win on versatility, durability and forgiveness. I'd probably go back to Maxxis next time, but it sure is a nice feeling when the Michelins grab onto fresh loam.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Any of you like using the HR II for a rear tire? Thinking about trying it.

Seems OK on the front, but I'm seeing undercutting on the side knobs fairly quickly, so may be time to move that HR to the rear and use it up there. Those side knobs aren't supported as well as a DHF or DHR II.
    I can say one thing for sure: do *not* use the HR II for ANYTHING if it's the dual compound. Those things suck.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I can say one thing for sure: do *not* use the HR II for ANYTHING if it's the dual compound. Those things suck.
    I have two, both are 3C EXO.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

If anyone is looking for something different, I just put two tires up on eBay for pretty cheap.
    WTB Vigilante 29”x 2.6, brand new

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133423984762

And a near mint DHF 27.5 x 2.6
    (Honestly used for one ride, I went to a 2.8”)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133423954687
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

<snip> EXO.
    Hopefully you're a lightweight, or have no sharp rocks where you ride... or have an insert?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Hopefully you're a lightweight, or have no sharp rocks where you ride... or have an insert?

Nope, lots of rocks, and nope!

Somehow I don't seem to destroy tires on rocks, other than one bad experience with Schwalbe.

Nope, lots of rocks, and nope!

Somehow I don't seem to destroy tires on rocks, other than one bad experience with Schwalbe.
    You're sure to destroy those EXO's now.

after 12 (!) miles of zero organic matter Bonneville shoreline garbage, the Dissector on the front wasn't the greatest. when pushed and weighted it has a little wash feel and then it grabs but not in the predictable manner of a DHF, DHR or even Butcher.

will have to ride it on some actual soil to see if things cheer up. granted the lack of cush core for the first time in 500 ish miles is quite the perspective.

nothing to say about the Rekon except that after these 12 mildly aggressive miles the exo+ didn't dissolve.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    If anyone is looking for something different, I just put two tires up on eBay for pretty cheap.
    WTB Vigilante 29”x 2.6, brand new

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133423984762

And a near mint DHF 27.5 x 2.6
    (Honestly used for one ride, I went to a 2.8”)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133423954687
    Damn, if that WTB was the Light version, I'd take it. I love that as a front tire.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Damn, if that WTB was the Light version, I'd take it. I love that as a front tire.
    Let me double check it tomorrow, I peeled some of that description from eBay. I didn’t know there were two versions.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Let me double check it tomorrow, I peeled some of that description from eBay. I didn’t know there were two versions.
    It's the light casing. It says so in your picture.

Edit: it's also the high grip version, not the fast rolling. That'd be a good front tire.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Cushcore in the rear still? That Exo plus casing fucking sucks IMO. Pinch flatted a half dozen holes already. I've run out of bacon strips.
    That hasn’t been my experience, at least with a 2.5 Assegai. I wanted DD but all the shop had was exo+. The shop owner said if I tear it open he wound replace It for free. That was about 6 - 8 months ago. It’s on the rear of my full squish and has seen some abuse. I did notice recently that there is a superficial slash in the sidewall that looks to be weeping a little sealant but other than that all good. Usually run around 25-27 psi, weigh 210 and ride pretty hard.

I’m running a Dissector 29 2.4WT on the rear. Very impressive tire. Somehow rolls very well but hooks up great. Lightweight too.

I did not like aggressor on front and then got minion DHF for front. Moved aggressor to rear. Both 2.5 by 29 with EXO casing. Really like this setup. The aggressor was too loose on the front but slides nice like motocross on rear. Durability has been good

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I’m running a Dissector 29 2.4WT on the rear. Very impressive tire. Somehow rolls very well but hooks up great. Lightweight too.
    Good climbing traction?

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Good climbing traction?
    Yes! And side knobs hook up nicely on tight uphill tech corners on climbs. I’ve been very impressed with this tire.

I wouldn't mind something that breaks and has better loose climbing traction than the Minion SS. Those little ramped knobs should be square. Rear tires also don't seem to last very long for me, but I really don't want to do heavier casing. I think part of the problem is also skinny rims. I really notice that DHF transition now and I don't like it. Or I just suck. Who knows. DHF is starting to get a little worn. Is there anything like it, but maybe with a little transition support? Skinny-ish sizes. I suppose I could go back to Butcher/Slaughter, but the new design looks fucking dumb, especially without the ramps on the front, and didn't they make their casings weaker?
    I'm riding a hardtail 29er around Missoula. I don't know why tires are such a big deal for me.
    Considering swapping to the new e13's, but I have this feeling they're designed for 30mm rims and they will be very very round on the ~20mm rims that I have.
    I'd get better wheels but I have dropouts and anything on sale is usually boost/xd. Sorry my bike is from 2013 and I got a cheap fork. At least it's light?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

I wouldn't mind something that breaks and has better loose climbing traction than the Minion SS.
    So almost literally anything else?

A 2.3 Aggressor seems like a pretty obvious call for the rear tire. They roll pretty fast still, but definitely brake better and have more climbing traction than the Minion SS. Of course, there are a ton of tires that do those things much better than the Aggressor, but given the Minion SS, I'm assuming you want something that still rolls pretty fast?

I really notice that DHF transition now and I don't like it. Or I just suck. Who knows. DHF is starting to get a little worn. Is there anything like it, but maybe with a little transition support? Skinny-ish sizes.
    The Assegai would be the obvious call here, but they only come in a 2.5, which probably fails on the "skinny-ish sizes" part. I like the new e13s a lot (if you can get them mounted - the bead on them is stupid tight) but they have a fairly similar transition to the DHF. Maybe a little less since they're a touch more square (comparing a 2.5 DHF WT to the 2.4 e13 Gen 3, both on 30mm rims) but they're broadly similar in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I did not like aggressor on front and then got minion DHF for front. Moved aggressor to rear. Both 2.5 by 29 with EXO casing. Really like this setup. The aggressor was too loose on the front but slides nice like motocross on rear. Durability has been good

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    2.3 DHF in the front (22 psi), 2.3 Aggressor Rear (25 psi), both 3C, Max Terra, Exo, TR. Seem pretty faultless to me.