Page 107 of 166 FirstFirst ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 4148
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    If there are mezcals left on friday I'll get one as we have some barzos on the shelf and I like that combo well enough.
    Are you using that combo mostly for racing? I picked up a set to try as a lighter trail tire.

I put them on my hardtail last year, but then there was no racing, so uh, no, it wound up being my general trail riding tire until I got the hei hei in august. They roll well, had acceptable xc tire grip, and are more durable than a maxxis 120tpi exo xc tire. And cost less. I liked the old racing ralph with a nobby nic up front better as far as traction goes but they're a little heavier and slower (I had the cheaper performance line ones).

^^thanks jamal, i'll probably give them a shot on my Ranger. Was contemplating returning them but having spares doesn't seem like a bad thing this year

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Are you using that combo mostly for racing? I picked up a set to try as a lighter trail tire.
    I did Barzo 2.6/Mezcal 2.35 for quite a bit of trail riding last year, including backcountry rides on volcanic rock in the Cascades- no issues at all, they were great.

I hit a bad water bar pretty fast once and the rear tire took no damage even while my rim was mostly destroyed.

For people with the 2.35 Mezcal... whats the actual size on it? I've read older reviews that the 2.35 was not any bigger than the 2.25 and that the 2.6 is a full-on 2.6 (and won't fit the rear of most xc bikes). I liked my 2.25 a lot but would love it if it were just a bit bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    For people with the 2.35 Mezcal... whats the actual size on it? I've read older reviews that the 2.35 was not any bigger than the 2.25 and that the 2.6 is a full-on 2.6 (and won't fit the rear of most xc bikes). I liked my 2.25 a lot but would love it if it were just a bit bigger.
    I’ll measure when I get home, I think it’s still mounted to my old rims. I think it ended up around 2.3 on a 23-inner rim. I’ll be putting them on my 30-inner rim later this year.

The 2.6 Barzo (likely similar to the Mezcal) is BiG. Way bigger than my NN or DHF 2.6.

I should really post a full review of the e13 tires. They are amazing.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Has anyone had any time on the new Spec butcher and or eliminator in 2.6 &2.3 grid trail casing / T7 & T9 compounds? I have read good things, they are cheap, and available. Seems like a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    Has anyone had any time on the new Spec butcher and or eliminator in 2.6 &2.3 grid trail casing / T7 & T9 compounds? I have read good things, they are cheap, and available. Seems like a no brainer.

Yep. Got a bunch of time on T9 Grid Trail Butchers, 2.6f/2.3r. First Specialized rubber compound that I've liked. They're really good. The 2.6" is well under 2.6" wide, FWIW. The 2.3" is pretty true to size.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Yep. Got a bunch of time on T9 Grid Trail Butchers, 2.6f/2.3r. First Specialized rubber compound that I've liked. They're really good. The 2.6" is well under 2.6" wide, FWIW. The 2.3" is pretty true to size.
    What he said.

T7 2.6 Butcher up front on one bike - quite nice, and yeah, really about 2.5.

Older Eliminator in 2.3 - not the new stickier stuff - they were quite on sale. Liking it as a rear on one bike, and using a 2.6 version up front on another - it's more a 2.5 as well.

Like them both.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Thanks HAB and Scrub!

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    Thanks HAB and Scrub!

gonna keep the agreements flowing:

the new grid trail casing is similar to the old old Grid (pre stepped cornering blocks) which is a good thing. definitely a nice feel to it. Eliminator is fast in the T7 but holds nicely under heavy braking. T9 is fantastic but expect wear similar to maxxgrip. wish they had the gravity eliminator in standard T7.
    bumps are for poor people

Great beta! Im gonna try a 2.6 butcher grid trail T9 up front and a 2.3 eliminator grid trail T7 out back. Currently on 2.5 dhf maxx grip up front and 2.4 disector max terra out back. Thinking the new setup will be similar enough. Cant wait to try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    2.6 Mezcal measured pretty true. I mounted and put one on the rear of the Epic Evo.

It fit, but I'm pretty sure it would have buzzed the stays with hard cornering, so I took it back off.

If anyone wants them: $35 ea + a few for shipping.
    1. 2.6 Mezcal- Brand New
    2. 2.6 Mezcal- Mounted once and ridden around the block

How are Assegai vs DHF on front? Seems like a lot of new bikes are spec'ed with Assguys.

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    How are Assegai vs DHF on front? Seems like a lot of new bikes are spec'ed with Assguys.
    I'm no tire review guru by any stretch, but had my first ride on an Assegai this afternoon. Have used DHFs here and there in the past. Already can say I'd stick with the Assegai over the DHF.

Similar kinda' trail stuff as what you have around MA. Caveat: haven't had it out in wet conditions yet.

My wife's new bike came with Assegai's front and rear. After switching from 26" DHF/DHR to 29" Assegai's I dont think I'll ever convince her to try something else. The caveat is that while she does pedal a lot she really doesnt give a shit about how fast she goes on the uphills or flats.

Assegais roll worse, brake better, and have more consistent grip across lean angles than DHFs, but less grip once you fully commit to leaning them over. They're also less good on wet roots.

Assegai provides a ludicrous amount of grip but rolls just as slowly. I loved it on the front and hated it on the rear. For a rider who can't stomach drifting they are super confidence inspiring. I can certainly see why they get specced. Personally I've given up some grip for way easier rolling on both ends, especially since most of my rides are 30-50 miles.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

From the sloppiest stickiest mud - dry conditions i think maxxis would line up - shorty , dhr2, assegai(soft with good pen more than mud), dhf, aggressor.
    I cant stand high rollers so ill leave them out. Assegai and dhr2 are close to the same spot but the dhr2 sheds mud better so i put it closer to mud

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Assegais roll worse, brake better, and have more consistent grip across lean angles than DHFs, but less grip once you fully commit to leaning them over. They're also less good on wet roots.
    Heh! I'd certainly trust your judgement over mine on tires! I felt like it didn't roll any worse, but it's on a 29er front wheel on a very different bike than the last time using a DHF. Need more time on it, but think I might also prefer it over a Magic Mary.

For all the low speed flat corners and short up/down that is a vast portion of my local day to day riding, the Assegai ought to work well. Tried it on the front of the little bike, with the XR4 out back- keeping the Butcher for the front of the Clash, Eliminator out back there. The spare rear Hadley hubbed rear wheal keeps a DH DHRII 2.4 on. Have a couple SE4 replacements for rears once the XR4 and XR3 I've got both die.

Need a stickier front for my down-country 29. Currently 2.4 dissector. I'm finding rolling resistance data for the ikon race and a few others, they all seem to be 31ish watts @ 25psi. Anyone know of an efficient xc tire with more grip/aggressive tread in the shoulders? Tempted to run something slower like the DHF I have on my other bikes...

Just scored some Dissector 2.4 DD’s in QBP, so your LBS might have some on order. Just a PSA.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Need a stickier front for my down-country 29. Currently 2.4 dissector. I'm finding rolling resistance data for the ikon race and a few others, they all seem to be 31ish watts @ 25psi. Anyone know of an efficient xc tire with more grip/aggressive tread in the shoulders? Tempted to run something slower like the DHF I have on my other bikes...
    What's your dirt / terrain like?

Maxxis does poorly on the rolling resistances tests; tires from other companies with taller knobs (e.g. Racing Ray) still seem to be faster.

I'm running 2.35 Nobby Nick's F/R on downcountry set-up and 2.35 Racing Ralph / Thunder Burt in Marathon-mode.

Vittoria Agarro could be a tire with better grip that retains some rolling speed.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Just scored some Dissector 2.4 DD’s in QBP, so your LBS might have some on order. Just a PSA.
    I really should grab one. I really liked that tire for the rear. Thanks for the heads up.