Page 20 of 167 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Yeti specs the 5.5 which is a fairly happening 29'er enduro bike with a 2.3 aggressor on the rear and a minion 2.5 DHF on the front

IME the DHF on the front sticks like shit in a bars fur while the aggressor likes to drift around corners in a controled fashion which I like
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Thoughts on the aggressor on the rear vs DHR 2 or HR 2? Sometimes I wish the latter two would be a bit more drifty at speed but it’s a very fine line. I’m all about the DHF up front.
    Having run both in the back, I think DHR 2 is a better match for the DHF, which is not a huge surprise. HR 2 handles slightly differently and I just think it works better matched with another HR 2. I think DHF front and DHR II rear is one of the best all-around combos, and it's no surprise many bikes come speced with that combo.

Aggressor is a terrific rear tire, but right now it is available in only the 2.3 width and only their dual compound (it will be offered in 2.5 WT and 3C compounds in the next month or two.)

DHR2 offers more grip, and because the knobs have more space between them, they are a little lighter weight (a 27.5 x 2.3 Aggressor is around 925g while a 27.5 x 2.4 WT DHR2 is around 875g.)

You can’t really go wrong with Aggressor, DHR2, or HR2 as a rear tire, but I personally most prefer DHR2.

So what flavor of minions is favored here? 60, 42, maxxxgrip maxxterra?

Currently running DHF maxxterra exo on front and aggressor on rear. Thinking about replacing with aggressor with DHR2. How do both rear tires compare from a rolling resistance perspective?

IMO Aggressor rolls faster, DHR2 brakes better and carves through turns better, while Aggressor is a little drifty

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    IMO Aggressor rolls faster, DHR2 brakes better and carves through turns better, while Aggressor is a little drifty
    I’ve been running with DHF up front and DHR2 on back for the last 2.5 years but just a little more drifty and rolling sounds good. I’ll have to give it a shot next spring.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

I go back and forth. It’s also nice to put on the DHR2 and feel like you’re setting an edge.
    I ran Shorties f&r for a bit this fall just for giggles. So many giggles.

What are the numbers on running regular "enduro" tires (ie DHF/DHRII 3C EXO) with flat tire foam options versus just running DH tires? Seems like the last numbers I saw for the foam du jour made me think it was a massive weight penalty that if added to any other component (including wheel specs) would leave people laughing and running away!!!
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    What are the numbers on running regular "enduro" tires (ie DHF/DHRII 3C EXO) with flat tire foam options versus just running DH tires? Seems like the last numbers I saw for the foam du jour made me think it was a massive weight penalty that if added to any other component (including wheel specs) would leave people laughing and running away!!!
    Changing from a DD Aggressor to an EXO Forekaster with a CushCore was a wash. As mentioned above, the Aggressor is heavier in a given casing because of the increased amount of rubber. I still managed to slice the DD casing, so I figured fuck it, the rim protection is what I want anyway. I thought the Forekaster was a pretty good rear tire, punching well above its weight.

I gained some weight in front since I just added the insert to the existing DHR2 WT. Still worth it.

Huck Norris regular is less than 100 grams I️ believe. Less than going to DD, and pinch flat specific protection. I found a pair for $55 on Amazon, so jumped on it. Figured it was a relatively cheap experiment, and the included mud flap actually came in really handy going into a rainy bike trip. I’ve only got about a dozen rides on it, so it’s early to come to any conclusions. I’ve been running lower pressures than I️ ever have and have been choosing meathead lines. Had a couple strikes where I️ expected the tell tale ping and got a dull thud instead. So far so good.

Cush core is a different animal. Total overkill for my purposes on a trail bike, but seems like a good option for DH.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I just mounted a 60A HR2 2.3 on the rear of my hardtail and am surprised how well it rolls after typically choosing fast-rolling designs (Slaughter, Aggressor).

Would a hard compound DHF or DHR2 roll similarly to my HR2? This experience is somewhat eye-opening. I figured the HR2 would feel like an anchor but it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Huck Norris regular is less than 100 grams I️ believe. Less than going to DD, and pinch flat specific protection. I found a pair for $55 on Amazon, so jumped on it. Figured it was a relatively cheap experiment, and the included mud flap actually came in really handy going into a rainy bike trip. I’ve only got about a dozen rides on it, so it’s early to come to any conclusions. I’ve been running lower pressures than I️ ever have and have been choosing meathead lines. Had a couple strikes where I️ expected the tell tale ping and got a dull thud instead. So far so good.

Cush core is a different animal. Total overkill for my purposes on a trail bike, but seems like a good option for DH.
    Yea, I stuck Huck Norris in the back of my wife's trail bikes after she had a run of flats and rim damage last winter/spring. No flats since, but the situations are different since moving to CO. Not nearly the wheel/tire impact here compared with the SE (surprisingly). Actually thinking about pulling it out now.

We've literally never flatted our DH bikes using 2 ply tires. Some rim damage, but not rocking $900 wheelsets so not losing sleep over it. Inserts are usually a reactionary purchase (flats on epic day today, buy inserts tomorrow), so I don't see going that route with our DH bikes.
    I do have a friend who works for i9; let all the air out of his rear tire at the top of a 1600 foot chunky rocky rooty fast descent in Pisgah to test Crushcore. He said it rode great and the rim was completely unmolested at the bottom. Really interesting to hear. But I asked him how well he thought the i9 Enduro 305 wheelset would sell if it weighed 2250gm instead of 1750gm, but came with a "no flats" guarantee? No response.

Personally, when I ride, I think of rocks as hatchet heads, mattocks, sledges and axe heads. Goes a long way toward not cutting my tires. That, and the cost of a new tire.

Don't have time on Aggressor but my experience on rear tires runs the spectrum of Maxxis, Aspen Ikon Ardent Ardent Race HR2 DHF DHR2.

I agree HR likes HR fellowship. The open main tread pattern is the reason, I think.

Most controllable rear tire DHR2.

Most rail-y rear tire DHF, then DHR2, then HR2. Ardent Race, Ardent, Ikon, Aspen do not rail, they roll.

Best braking = DHR2, by miles.

Drift then catch is your game? HR2, DHF. Look at the knobs: DHF will be the most stout catch, between the two.

Also, for anyone who ever rode the old Minion DHR, please don't confuse that tire with DHR2. The old Minion DHR was not remarkable in any way, the newer DHR2 is a much different tire and works very well as a front tire too.

But I asked him how well he thought the i9 Enduro 305 wheelset would sell if it weighed 2250gm instead of 1750gm, but came with a "no flats" guarantee? No response.
    Facts? What the hell are facts? FEELINGS are what matter here!

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Personally, when I ride, I think of rocks as hatchet heads, mattocks, sledges and axe heads. Goes a long way toward not cutting my tires. That, and the cost of a new tire!
    Ha ha! I see rocks like a game of whack-a-mole! The most fun is to jump off a big rock and stomp down into a pile of smaller rocks!

In all seriousness, this points out how ridiculous it is for us all to debate the merits of each other’s tire/rim choices without real knowledge of riding style & conditions. And why it always ends up with a bunch of dick waving.

Ha ha! I see rocks like a game of whack-a-mole! The most fun is to jump off a big rock and stomp down into a pile of smaller rocks!
    This is my style. And why I tend to lean to 1000g+ tires. Esp in the rear. 'Cause I'm kinda fat too.

You can’t avoid them all. 1000g+ and Huck Norris rear club. Going to need new huck Norris’ next year. They get ripped from the rim sidewall but thus far no dings in my butter soft Easton rims since installing huck. They’ve paid their way. Supposedly Huck Norris has a new tougher version with minimal weight gain. Hopefully see those on amazon

In all seriousness, this points out how ridiculous it is for us all to debate the merits of each other’s tire/rim choices without real knowledge of riding style & conditions. And why it always ends up with a bunch of dick waving.
    Not really though. Good tires work everywhere. Grabbing available material for turning/braking only really changes when the material is complete gummy slop.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Thoughts on the aggressor on the rear vs DHR 2 or HR 2? Sometimes I wish the latter two would be a bit more drifty at speed but it’s a very fine line. I’m all about the DHF up front.
    I think others have already said it, but Aggressor is definitely faster than the DHR2. In dry conditions where traction is good and I'm asking a bit less from the back brake, I like the Aggressor. But the DHR2 definitely stops better, and it's a bit more locked into corners. And really, if there's dry conditions with good traction, I'd usually go for an SS - rolls faster than an Aggressor, and can corner harder than almost any other tire Maxxis makes (but it's kinda weird in how it corners, and takes a lot of getting used to).

HR2 might be my favorite tire of all time, but agreed with others that it works best when paired with another HR2. And they wear out pretty quick in the rear. But yeah, HR2 rolls almost as fast as the Aggressor, brakes harder, and corners harder but requires a bit more commitment as it's leaned it. It needs to be leaned a little further before the side knobs start to work, whereas the Aggressor has a more seamless transition between the center knobs and side knobs when leaning over. But the ultimate, locked in, "fuck you I'm railing this corner" traction the Aggressor will provide is definitely lower than a HR2 (or a DHF, or a DHR2, for that matter).

It's inevitable that it would mirror ski choice discussions in tech talk. Bigger & burlier always. In a sense it's a rebuild or replay of the late 90s/early 00s. Maybe that's an indirect statement that most real innovation is exhausted by now, time to rethink the tiny things, or maybe the imperceptible ones.

I know people whose swordfight might be about getting away with the most pinner tires and most XC or CX ish bike imaginable for the situation. None of these people would be an ex trials person, so that's not where it originates.

It might be reasonable to think of them as the telemarkers of MTB.

In truth old age and slow healing dictate whether, at this point in my riding, I see rocks as something to pop off, vs something to up&over or skip across. As to not slamming into them directly or obliquely -- that's more a weird empathy I have for machinery and trying to avoid its abuse.

My trail bike came with 27.5x2.4 HR2's (EXO, single compound), took me a bit to get used to them as I previously was DHF front/rear but I enjoyed them in summer conditions and they felt like they rolled a lot faster. I have a DHF 27.5x2.5 WT 3C MaxxGrip coming this week which I will be putting up front as the HR2 single compound is scary on wet roots/rocks. Curious to see how it pairs with an HR2 on the back. I am not that aggressive on trail riding so EXO seems adequate for me even though I am a fatass (210lbs, 27 psi front, 29psi rear tubeless).

DH bike is DHF DH casing SuperTacky front and DHR2 DH casing 3C MaxGrip rear. Love that combo, but am really looking forward to the new DH casing folding bead/TR Minions that Maxxis is supposedly releasing soon. Bit lighter and should be much less painful to swap tires around.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    <snip> HR2 single compound is scary on wet roots/rocks.
    Agreed. And not just on wet roots/rocks. I had the stock HR2s on my new bike try to kill me at Dakota Ridge on a *dry* off-camber rock.

The HR2 single compound was it 60 maxxpro supertacky 42?

hard/60 I think.

Doesn't look like they make a supertacky one. They probably know the thin sideknobs would last about one run.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Yeah it's gotta be 60a I guess? They don't publish durometer on the HR2 single compound it seems.

DHF WT MaxxGrip arrives tomorrow. Yay. Debated grabbing a 27.5x2.4 WT DHR2 MaxxTerra for the rear but I will give the HR2 a shot... and just avoid riding any wet rock/wood that requires anything other than straight line braking haha. DHR2 MaxxTerra has to grip/brake better in the wet than HR2 single compound right?