Page 49 of 165 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 4102
    Let's say I wanted to cut some knobs on the Eliminator to make it more predictable and open up the channel, what should I cut?

Name:  ELIMINATOR-6728-601x400.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  40.3 KB

i have heard of people cutting down the corner lugs on spec tires cos they are so tall. I basically took the tires off and left them in a pile.
    personally i would get a real front tire and relegate the others to the back.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Let's say I wanted to cut some knobs on the Eliminator to make it more predictable and open up the channel, what should I cut?

Name:  ELIMINATOR-6728-601x400.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  40.3 KB
    The little ones closest to the sideknobs.

Cutting down corner knobs 'because they're too tall?'

Sweet jesus people are idiots
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    The little ones closest to the sideknobs
    Think it would make a big difference?

As a start, I’m thinking I’d trim them so the outer edge is in line with the other small knobs.

Yeah thats kinda of what i was told. The difference between the tall corner knobs and the significantly shorter intermediates made it vague when coming back out of corners. Almost like a semi slick, which i wouldn't want out front.

Just chiming in to say the Magic Mary in the soft compound is an A+ tire.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Think it would make a big difference?

As a start, I’m thinking I’d trim them so the outer edge is in line with the other small knobs.
    do you notice a big difference between different kinds of tires? You live in BC which generally has pretty good dirt and delicious fresh cleared loam. Cutting out things to open that channel up won't hurt anything, but will allow the tire to grab more dirt leaned over on brake free hard corners. So 'big' difference? probably not. But 'some difference' I'd say yes. If I had that tire I'd do it. But then again if it were me I would have just bought a butcher.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Yeah thats kinda of what i was told. The difference between the tall corner knobs and the significantly shorter intermediates made it vague when coming back out of corners. Almost like a semi slick, which i wouldn't want out front.
    That makes very little sense to me on anything but imba built sidewalk trails. But hey maybe that's what they're talking about.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

do you notice a big difference between different kinds of tires? You live in BC which generally has pretty good dirt and delicious fresh cleared loam. Cutting out things to open that channel up won't hurt anything, but will allow the tire to grab more dirt leaned over on brake free hard corners. So 'big' difference? probably not. But 'some difference' I'd say yes. If I had that tire I'd do it. But then again if it were me I would have just bought a butcher. .
    Yeah, I should have bought a Butcher, but with the Assguy being all the rage, I wanted to try something different.

Yeah, I should have bought a Butcher, but with the Assguy being all the rage, I wanted to try something different.
    Heh. In a few years that ass guy will be about as relevant as the griffon in their lineup.

Companies release new because it's new not because it's better. It's what keeps tire companies employed.

I haven't seen one those eliminators in person. It really does like they have bigger/thicker sideknobs than the butchers.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I’d echo jc on the wild enduro rear. I noticed they rolled faster than the wr2 but I was quite surprised how well I could chuck them down the hill . With those burley edging knobs it gives a lot of confidence throwing them into the corners despite losing that little bit of straight line braking. Has me considering trying a wild enduro front and also a wild enduro rear front and back on the trail bike. They still have waaay more grip than a Schwalbe rock razor(the only other rear specific fast rolling en/dh tire I’ve tried)
    Trigger pulled on a Wild Enduro. Still curious about that Force AM at a tick under 800g (in 27.5 x 2.4 per CRC), but with the WE at the same money as the competition version Force AM, I decided to go less unknown (and maybe more similar to the Trail Boss it replaces?) Thanks for the recs!

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Trigger pulled on a Wild Enduro. Still curious about that Force AM at a tick under 800g (in 27.5 x 2.4 per CRC), but with the WE at the same money as the competition version Force AM, I decided to go less unknown (and maybe more similar to the Trail Boss it replaces?) Thanks for the recs!
    Ahh crc 800g , check , could be ok for a trail/bc bike. Tread pattern looks similar if not identical to wild enduro so might give you some perspective with the safe bet enduro first. Also looks the same as the "22" dh tires Sam was running this weekend

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Got back out on the Eliminator today, this time with Purgatory in back. The Eliminator’s fine. I think it was the Ikon that spun me around backwards when I tried to stand on it in the corner.

The high roller 2 front and slaughter dh rear is super good for the loose gnar on the kenai peninsula. I liked the ardent for reasonable weight and fast rolling but it got fucking shredded after like 4 rides.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Ended up taking advantage of bontrager's unconditional guarantee and returned the 29x2.4 XR3 I'd be testing the past few weeks. It wasn't terrible, but in the end I don't think it was fast enough to justify it's shortcomings. With a larger and/or stiffer casing, softer rubber or bigger side knobs (or some combination of those), I think they'd have a winner on their hands. But as is, it comes up a little short. Tossed a fairly well-worn SE4 on for the weekend and didn't feel that much slower but was much more confidence inspiring. May still try the e13 semi slick or something else fast-ish out back...or may stick with SE4 for drier season and DHR for wetter season.

Other than some encounters with mud, I've been really pleased with the Aggressor out back. Running a 2.5" WT in the Double Down casing and not finding it to be a huge penalty over the previous 2.4 DHR2 EXO. Getting away w/ running slightly lower pressure, but it still feels like it rolls faster.

I rode some e13s for the second time last week. Holy shit do those things grip!

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1562643448.703926.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	288076
    Looks like a shop in Finale is hoarding all yur Michelinzzz

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Those particular michelins....they can keep.

Heh. In a few years that ass guy will be about as relevant as the griffon in their lineup.

Companies release new because it's new not because it's better. It's what keeps tire companies employed.

I haven't seen one those eliminators in person. It really does like they have bigger/thicker sideknobs than the butchers.
    Spesh is a great example of this.
    Step 1: update Grid with less sidewall support, new stair-pattern side-knob tread to look new and then have to update the compound to harder because you made the knobs shitty.
    Step 2: take advantage of new gap in range to introduce a vowel-free trendy casing BLCK DMND.
    Step 3: sue a small company that can't spell litigious.

Eliminator side knobs are not bigger. they just look bigger on the 2.3 tires. I recently picked up a 2.3 blck dmnd Butcher for the back and a 2.6 grid for the front. 2.3 knobs look stouter than the 2.6. it is a good enough setup but I really miss their old Grid tires with the old tread/compound.
    bumps are for poor people

Those particular michelins....they can keep.
    But... but... Wild ENDUROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Here’s one for the tire thread. The guy who won the BC Bike Race ran dual Maxxis Aspens with XC CushCore with 18-19 psi front and 17-18.5 psi rear. That’s an interesting setup...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-c...n-element.html

Here’s one for the tire thread. The guy who won the BC Bike Race ran dual Maxxis Aspens with XC CushCore with 18-19 psi front and 17-18.5 psi rear. That’s an interesting setup...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-c...n-element.html
    That guy's setup is weird for a ton of reasons. Higher pressure in front? But then softening the fork? And how is he not rolling that rear tire off the rim?

But can't really argue with results.

Spesh seems good at fucking up their tire designs once they get a good thing going. Who'd they sue this time?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Been running cushcore front and rear with DHF Double downs the past few days. Had a local race yesterday which was the first time i've really pushed and noticed the cushcore. Damn its good stuff. really notice a "floating on a magic carpet" type feeling down some rougher high speed chatter. I'm running 23psi rear and 21 front now, no noticable squirm at all (and I hate squirmy tires), send it full gas into a couple of chundery rock sections without hesitation and not even a ping.
    Don't really notice much of a weight penalty either...

Michelin Wild Enduro Rear update: side knobs aren't wearing well at all. Lots of cracks at the inside edges and I've lost a few. Hard to quantify how much mileage this has had but I put it on 4-5 weeks ago and have been riding mostly lift-access natural trails 3-4 days per week (3000-4000m vert typical) and a couple of full bike park days. I can normally milk 2.5 months out of a Wild Rock'R2; I'll be lucky to get 2 months out of this one but will keep it on as long as I can bear so that my next rubber is as fresh as possible for a trip at the end of August.

I still think that it rides like a better Trailboss, but for me it gives up too much over a Wild Rock'R2 or DHR II for not much gain in rolling speed. Get it on edge and it grips pretty well when new but straightline braking isn't great. Casing is a nice middle weight, would work well for some riders for sure. A guide friend here likes the Aggressor, might try one of those sometime if I see a DoudleDown on sale, or the Specialized Eliminator, but I'm pretty over trying to find something slightly faster rolling than what I know and trust so will be back on a WR2 rear next and trying a Wild Enduro Front for the first time after putting too many holes in Magic Mary Snakeskins up front lately.