Page 131 of 162 FirstFirst ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,275 of 4049
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Are they good tires for going slideways on loose over hard conditions?
    They are great for that! They don't last super long but at the price it's a non-issue, and the more worn they get the more slideways you can go
    I bought a couple of the old ones with the harder compound, they wear a bit slower and are even easier to slide.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Shit. That's not what I wanted to hear for my front tire. Do you have any previous experience with the Conti black chilli compund to compare to?
    no I've only ever rode Maxxis. I was only temped by the price of the conti's and Rachel Atherton talking me in to it. They're all riding them at DYFI so i thought they can't be so bad

Sent from my SM-G780G using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    no I've only ever rode Maxxis. I was only temped by the price of the conti's and Rachel Atherton talking me in to it. They're all riding them at DYFI so i thought they can't be so bad

Yeah, very happy with my Contis. Soft seems pretty soft to me, and hopefully softer than maxterra.

At least the old black chilli was. Almost maxxgrip-like

I had a thought.
    Yeah i know...
    Anyway, if 29er tires have a bigger contact patch and hence more traction, wouldn't a narrower and also (potentially) less chunky tread give the same traction as a wider tire on a smaller wheel?

You need to deep dive if you are going to hypothesize. There are plenty of studies done on this. Google "bike tire scientific study"

I just put on Schwalbes (MM Super Trail Ultra Soft / BB ST Soft) after not having really run them since the "Super" revision. Man I forgot how much positive feedback they do when leaning over in loose over hard. Feels like you're tearing the dirt. I was running DD Assegai DHR before for the sidewall stiffness, not because I have issues with flats. The ST sidewalls are stiff enough that I didn't notice folding even at the same low pressures, but they are noticeably lighter and less damped feeling. Popping off little jumps, I found it a lot easier to lift the rear end to clear things. The MM definitely rolls faster than the Assegai. BB vs DHR... hard to tell. The BB makes more noise pedaling uphill on dirt, feels like it's clawing/hooking up more, so it might be a little bit slower than DHR.

Autumn is a new season. I had a maxxis minion dhr ii DD that i bought 8 months ago as a left a bike shop job. I finally decided to ditch the showroom tire (Recon). All i can say is, fuck! That tire on a stans flow rim is not a friendly combo. Couldnt get it to set up tubless with floor pump. Toobed it so i can ride today. Going to only unseat one rim and pull the tube and hit it w compressor in the next few days. Going to stuff some ghetto insert in it
    Could be a battle to put the tire on with pipe insulation in there.

Just heading out to try it.

Must be bad combo ^^ I put that tire on a WTB rim and it was the easiest tubeless setup I have ever done just put it on and start pumping

If it wasn't so easy I would get a tire on by tying a circle of 3/8ths rope just bigger than the circufrence of the tire tread put a screwdriver in the circle of rope, twist it to clamp down on the tire tread and spread the beads against the rim

using that method I have always been able to mount with just a floor pump
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The tire was hard AF to get on the rim. Once on it was so tight on the rim that it squeezed itself as close to the middle as it could. At the valve stem the in-rim rubber bit pushed the beads aside, right there was the leak point. No amount of strap around the tire was doing shit. Now that I've got the beads set I'll pop one side off, pull the tube and try again.

On the plus side, this tire is awesome. Makes me think life is too short to run a Recon.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    life is too short to run a Recon.
    Fact.

You probably needed to smoke either more of it or less of it

I've slowly been wearing out a stack of 50% worn tires on the back of my trail bike all summer and finally finished them. I also had an EXO+ DHF up front that had about 1500 miles on it.

I finally got a new 2.5 Aggressor for the rear and a 2.5 Maxxis Assegai DH Casing for the front.

Super fun combo and goodness new tires feel fantastic. Kinda thrilled with the DH casing up front actually even for a bike I'm pedaling uphill.

I really wanted to try the new kryptotal on the enduro/trail bike but didn't see the ones I wanted in stock anywhere. Ordered another assegai and dhrii combo for fall season.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

DHRII was starting to rip a few knobs so i got another one, now scoping around for a front Assegai to replace the old one, man is that particular model expensive, but still I just buy maxxis instead worrying if what i bought will be " as good as a Maxxis "

The aggressor that came on the rear of my Yeti 5.5 rolled pretty fast good on dry ground but it would slide around when it got wet and its often wet here so I'm not sure if i would buy one
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-27-2022 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    You probably needed to smoke either more of it or less of it
    Sometimes it's hard to know which is the right answer though. More of it if you've got plenty of time.

FUCK!!! My rim tape got a bit fucked up taking off my Recon so I retaped. I cleaned my rin with isopropyl alcohol, wrapped the new tape, pressed it down tight, hit it with a hair dryer and pressed it down more. The fucking minion is so fucking tight I grabbed the edge of my tape and pealed back in 2 spots. I almost threw the fucking rim through the window. Back to fucking tubes until I get more tape. FUCK. Great tire but, FUCK, I hate this rim/tire combination!

If it's not ripped, you could probably just fold it back over? I've definitely removed tires and had the tape fold over and been like "meh I don't feel like re-taping this" and just folded it back and it's been fine.

update on the conti kryptotal R absolute garbage in the mud.

i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    FUCK!!! My rim tape got a bit fucked up taking off my Recon so I retaped. I cleaned my rin with isopropyl alcohol, wrapped the new tape, pressed it down tight, hit it with a hair dryer and pressed it down more. The fucking minion is so fucking tight I grabbed the edge of my tape and pealed back in 2 spots. I almost threw the fucking rim through the window. Back to fucking tubes until I get more tape. FUCK. Great tire but, FUCK, I hate this rim/tire combination!
    I've been using the 1"wide gorilla tape. Much better than the stupid plasticky rim tape

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I've been using the 1"wide gorilla tape. Much better than the stupid plasticky rim tape
    Bro this is bicycles we are talking about. Precision machines. It's 25.4mm wide tape

I've been thinking of chopping a roll of tuck tape into 25.4mm wide rounds. That shit wouldn't roll or ever come loose, 2 layers would be as strong as stans. I roll of tuck tape could do about a shit ton of rims.

A metric shit tonne. And the shit will never come off, for the rest of that rim's life somewhere there will be remnants of tuck tape. Silver rims? With permanent red stains.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    update on the conti kryptotal R absolute garbage in the mud.

As in «got filled with mud» or «couldn’t get any traction in the wet»?

Compared to a dhrII?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered another Aggressor for out back. I've been happy with that tire for my needs in NW Montana but then read a review of the dissector that was intriguing. Can anybody comment on aggressor vs dissector? From what I gathered from the article the dissector rolls slower than the aggressor but faster than the DHR II. It provides better traction than the aggressor but maybe less than the DHR II?

Edit to say that I've been running the DC aggressor (is there anything else?) but I see that the dissector comes in DC or 3C.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Just ordered another Aggressor for out back. I've been happy with that tire for my needs in NW Montana but then read a review of the dissector that was intriguing. Can anybody comment on aggressor vs dissector? From what I gathered from the article the dissector rolls slower than the aggressor but faster than the DHR II. It provides better traction than the aggressor but maybe less than the DHR II?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    I have an aggressor on the rear of one bike, a dissector on the rear of another, and have worn out a couple DHR II on other bikes. I agree with that comparison of the tires.

The dissector doesn't last long - side knobs undercut fairly quickly. I doubt I'd buy more of them after the one I have wears out. If I got them for free, I'd happily use them for rear tires, but the lifespan just isn't good enough for the price.

I like the aggressor, it's fast rolling, and I'm used to its cornering behavior - not locked in like a minion, but controllable looseness.

If it's a bike I'd expect to pedal uphill for most of its rides (vs shuttle), I'd pick the aggressor. If it's a bike that'll see more shuttle time, and less pedaling, I'd pick the DHR II.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.