Page 9 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    apparently you missed the part where I said I already had a DHF.
    Ah yes, I misread - I thought you bought a DHF, put if on the front of your bike, liked it, and now needed to get a rear tire. Not that you already had another DHF sitting around.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post

I have mildly used SS you could try if you really want to..but I'd wait till fall when the dust goes away and Moab trips start happening again.
    Thanks for the offer and advice, I will hang tight until the fall and just buy one. If my DHR wears out before then, I'll try an Ardent. I've only had one in the front, was just OK...

Does anyone have a direct Butcher/Slaughter to DHF/SS comparison yet?
    Just curious.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

since this is a tire thread... I have a DHF that I bought last year, and am about to replace my rear tire (a Conti MK maybe?). Already have a DHF front and love it. My question is simple: is there a preferred direction to the DHF as a rear tire?
    Run it in the normal / same direction front and rear. Otherwise braking performance suffers.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    You went from SS to DHR in the rear, I'm thinking of the opposite as I've been riding a DHR in the rear all season and want a zippier bike. DHF is much better with the moondust PC conditions though?
    Might be worth looking at the Aggressor. Faster than a DHRII (although not as fast as an SS), but more traction / less skittery than the SS. Haven't really ridden it in much moondust, but I'd think it'd do fine. Only place I didn't really like it was in mud.

Just curious.
    splitting hairs comping treads. casing comparisons matter a little more with these.

Specialized is evil.
    Maxxis less so.
    bumps are for poor people

since this is a tire thread... I have a DHF ...... My question is simple: is there a preferred direction to the DHF as a rear tire?
    Like Toast said.
    Ran DHF front and rear (same direction) on mine and my wife's bikes for about the last year. Just switched to DHRII in the rear for both d/t worn out old rubber. Not noticing much difference. Just throw that bastard on there and enjoy it.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Just curious.
    I have used DHF 2.5s a lot in the past and tried Butchers 2.3s for some of last summer. Volume is pretty much the same. Butcher tread is slightly less deep and didn't quite get the same bite when leaned-over. Control casing is thinner than a Maxxis EXO, Grid a little tougher than EXO. Set up tubeless just as easily as Maxxis. I'd run a Butcher Grid in the rear again if it was a much cheaper option than a Minion EXO.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Might be worth looking at the Aggressor. Faster than a DHRII (although not as fast as an SS), but more traction / less skittery than the SS. Haven't really ridden it in much moondust, but I'd think it'd do fine. Only place I didn't really like it was in mud.
    Yup. I wanted to replace the SS with Aggressor, but those tires are like unicorn tears right now, so I went with DHR2

thanks guys
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

spec are much heavier, I'd stick to maxxis just because of that, the rest seems to be like said splitting hairs

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Thanks! Just bought one on jenson.com for $50, free shipping. Worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Yup. I wanted to replace the SS with Aggressor, but those tires are like unicorn tears right now, so I went with DHR2
    Aggressor is fantastic as a rear tire, kinda like an open channel Ikon with full knob height.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    I have used DHF 2.5s a lot in the past and tried Butchers 2.3s for some of last summer. Volume is pretty much the same. Butcher tread is slightly less deep and didn't quite get the same bite when leaned-over. Control casing is thinner than a Maxxis EXO, Grid a little tougher than EXO. Set up tubeless just as easily as Maxxis. I'd run a Butcher Grid in the rear again if it was a much cheaper option than a Minion EXO.
    My understanding as well is that the new GRID is stronger (and makes sense that its a little heavier) than EXO. Old GRID definitely was not but it was a lot lighter. Interesting about Maxxis 2.5 = Spec 2.3. Do others find this as well? My usual trail/shuttle combo is DHF/DHR2 EXO 2.3s but looking for something with more volume and stronger in the rear than EXO for 29". Is Spec Buthcher GRID the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    My understanding as well is that the new GRID is stronger (and makes sense that its a little heavier) than EXO. Old GRID definitely was not but it was a lot lighter. Interesting about Maxxis 2.5 = Spec 2.3. Do others find this as well? My usual trail/shuttle combo is DHF/DHR2 EXO 2.3s but looking for something with more volume and stronger in the rear than EXO for 29". Is Spec Buthcher GRID the answer?
    Pretty well documented how small maxis runs.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Pretty well documented how small maxis runs.
    In the past, yes, but i thought that changed in the last couple seasons?!?

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    In the past, yes, but i thought that changed in the last couple seasons?!?
    my dhf 2.5 is much narrower than the conti mk 2.4 it replaced

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    my dhf 2.5 is much narrower than the conti mk 2.4 it replaced
    Does your dhf have ac/dc lettering or bubble lettering, and is it a 3c compound/folding w EXO?

I don't think the DHF's have changed, but newer tires (i.e. DHR II, HR II, etc.) are more closely in line with other companies. That's why, for example, a 2.4 DHR II is the same width as a 2.5 DHF.

Copy, I had the older DHF with AC/DC lettering and even though it was a 2.5 it was obviously skinny. I just wondered if the newer version were closer to 2.5 than the older version. Seems like if width is a concern the DHR II is the way to go. Thanks Toast.

If you want a wider tire, a DHR II won't actually help you; it's the same width as the old 2.5's but Maxxis just relabeled it as a 2.4 (which is closer to what it actually is), and that's the biggest size they make. If you want a tire with a similar tread pattern to the DHRII but with a bit more width / volume, check out the Bontrager G5. Rides pretty similarly, but slightly bigger.

Thanks for the insight.

For all the Gwin Fanboys who are looking for a Minion with a different name:http://www.pinkbike.com/news/onza-aa...look-2016.html

Bump. Mrs jm2e just tore her third DHR II sidewall in as many months. Any thoughts on whether I need to search for something more durable? Or maybe just switch to DHF or SS? She's kind of a ripper, but a featherweight so hard to imagine she puts a bigger hurting on tires than a bunch of mags.
    Personally, I've been on Butchers for a couple years. Just a bit heavier and less grippy. Not destroying them as fast, but I'm kind of a pussy.

treads don't rip, casing designs rip. "DHR2" is a tread design.

which DHR 2 casing was it?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp