Page 127 of 166 FirstFirst ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 4145
    Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I have some Pinner Pros on the sled (trail rear, gravity front), will report back after some miles. The front is heavy AF though.
    I liked them enough to use 2 pair back to back. First the ATC then the AGC. They’re a solid all-round option.

I’m very Continental-curious right now, but I have a box full of brand new Schwalbe, so it probably won’t be this year.

The Contis are interesting (especially given the relatively low price compared to Maxxis) but they're unobtanium right now. I'd like to try them too eventually but until then will keep paying the Maxxis tax.

I rode some of the newer Specialized tires again yesterday on my buddy's ebike (Butcher / Eliminator 2.6), doing 5k feet on trails I know super well. The Butcher repeatedly tried to kill me on any flat corner. It gripped ok at low/moderate lean angles, but any time I really leaned it over the grip just gave out. The Eliminator (even quite worn) felt perfectly adequate and didn't make itself known for good or for bad. I immediately swapped them out for a pair of partially worn Assegais for great success.

Continental’s US distributor, Highway 2, has limited availability in all the new molds and sizes (not all casing and compound options) right now.

If you’re after 27.5” availability in most options is pretty good right now.

I’ve been trying a couple faster tires on the rear of my Chromag hardtail, and recently got out on back-to-back rides with 2.4 Rekon EXO MaxxTerra and 2.3 Minion SS EXO DC. The Rekon is the winner. It rolls faster, corners more predictably and has more volume. Even on a 25 mm rim, the 2.3 Minion SS seems too square.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    The Contis are interesting (especially given the relatively low price compared to Maxxis) but they're unobtanium right now.
    I found Contis readily available from German e-tailers at good prices even with shipping cost a couple of weeks ago

With the new Contis, I just wish you didn’t have to go with DH casing to get the softest rubber.

There’s also basically no information out there on how the new rubber compounds compare to the old Black Chili rubber that was on the Baron/Kaiser, which I found worked very well on wet roots and wore well.

How do the Conti Enduro & DH casings compare to Maxxis EXO+ & DD in terms of sidewall support? I generally prefer DD (get too much squirm from EXO+). From the technical description, it sounds like if I want 2 ply it's DH or nothing. But are their sidewall inserts enough to make single ply "Enduro" ok?

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    With the new Contis, I just wish you didn’t have to go with DH casing to get the softest rubber.

There’s also basically no information out there on how the new rubber compounds compare to the old Black Chili rubber that was on the Baron/Kaiser, which I found worked very well on wet roots and wore well.
    This x2

Conti is that company that has a good product, but is lax about other aspects of the business /consumer and they'll continue to have mediocre sales (and not understand why).

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I've got some en route, will report back.
    Cant wait thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, I rode about 8k of descents this week, and yes, they felt more and more natural over the course of the week. I guess I didn’t realize how much I would let the DHF’s drift before. Pretty cool to have a different feeling tire.
    Was gonna say ride those new tires sum more -you did it sounds, good job-
    Or roll whatchu know and and go back to the DHF.

FWIW worth i hate a drifty front tire but dont mind a drifty back.
    Think ive got an Agressor for the back in my near future.
    Maybe a Mazza front we'll see.

Pinner Pro report. Only have 20mi on them so far. 27.5 x 2.4", Trail rear, gravity front. Front is heavy as a MF; Hurt a lot on the climbs, but it started to "disappear" toward end of ride. Gravity tire is very damp, noticeably so. Me likey.

Traction is impressive so far, but really didn't find anything loose. Typical LCC stuff so far. I started with maxxis pressures, which was too much. Pinner sidewalls are really stout, so were really hard. It took most of the ride of me letting air out to find something that rode "normal". I haven't checked the pressures I wound up with, but it's getting close.

My next ride is a Deer Valley lift day on Tuesday, will have plenty of kitty litter and loose stuff to report on then.

If I wanted to replace a 2.3 DHR2 DD MaxxTerra with something around the same weight, equal or better resistance to flats, equal or better traction (especially braking), and longer lasting (only got 200mi out of my last tire), what tire and casing am I?
    Colorado, usually dry/loose/rocky but sometimes damp, on a bike ridden primarily on steeper trails. Brand agnostic.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    If I wanted to replace a 2.3 DHR2 DD MaxxTerra with something around the same weight, equal or better resistance to flats, equal or better traction (especially braking), and longer lasting (only got 200mi out of my last tire), what tire and casing am I?
    Colorado, usually dry/loose/rocky but sometimes damp, on a bike ridden primarily on steeper trails. Brand agnostic.
    I just did that, more or less, with a DHR 2.5, and went to a Bontrager XR2, 2.4. Lighter at 780 grams and a bit more responsive. Lower price point. First ride says 2 thumbs up but time will tell. Maxxis minion DHF 2.5 on the front.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

dang, 200mi out of a MaxxTerra is pathetic

Could try a schwalbe Big Betty in a super gravity / addix soft. Traction, flat protection, and general tire behavior are roughly similar to a DD maxxterra dhr2. I wouldn't expect it to last much longer, but maybe?

There are plenty of other options with harder rubber compounds that'd last longer, but you're almost always giving up grip with those.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    dang, 200mi out of a MaxxTerra is pathetic
    Uhhh, I forgot to mention a lack of talent.

Michelin Wild Rock'R2.

Oh, wait.

Vittoria Mazza 2.4 Enduro Casing.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    I just did that, more or less, with a DHR 2.5, and went to a Bontrager XR2, 2.4. Lighter at 780 grams and a bit more responsive. Lower price point. First ride says 2 thumbs up but time will tell. Maxxis minion DHF 2.5 on the front.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk
    Bontrager's XR casing is much lighter duty than Maxxis DD. Bontrager SE casings are a better match.

Quote Originally Posted by HotSchmoo View Post
    Was gonna say ride those new tires sum more -you did it sounds, good job-
    Or roll whatchu know and and go back to the DHF.

FWIW worth i hate a drifty front tire but dont mind a drifty back.
    Think ive got an Agressor for the back in my near future.
    Maybe a Mazza front we'll see.
    The agressor in the rear is a great option.

I needed one small thing from BikeInn last night so I broke down and bought x2 Xynotal and x2 Kryptotal Rear in the Trail casing to fill up the box.

I do wish they offered different compounds per casing, but maybe they nailed it and there's no need...

Ok, you folks that know other tires than Maxxis, I have a Q. My wife is looking for something that rolls faster than an HRII, but is still grippy. I was going to suggest some Ardents, but I couldn’t find any of them with grippy compounds. She is a very timid rider, so possibly a 2.6 up front and a 2.5 rear might work for her (Plus Light, if you will? ). I think the bigger volume would allow lower pressures, which would help her with the feeling that she is “bouncing off rocks”.
    Any suggestions? She would be a good candidate for a light casing as she is only 4’11” (and 3/4”!!!)
    But we have moon dust here until September, so she needs some knobs.
    Thoughts? (27.5”)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Ok, you folks that know other tires than Maxxis, I have a Q. My wife is looking for something that rolls faster than an HRII, but is still grippy. I was going to suggest some Ardents, but I couldn’t find any of them with grippy compounds. She is a very timid rider, so possibly a 2.6 up front and a 2.5 rear might work for her (Plus Light, if you will? ). I think the bigger volume would allow lower pressures, which would help her with the feeling that she is “bouncing off rocks”.
    Any suggestions? She would be a good candidate for a light casing as she is only 4’11” (and 3/4”!!!)
    Thoughts? (27.5”)
    Vittoria Mazza/Martello (F/R)? Available in 27.5x2.6.

Mazza is probably only slightly faster than HRII, but Martello rear should be noticeable.

I haven’t ridden them in wider sizes, but the 2.4/2.35 f/r works nice.

I think her bike will only fit a 2.4 in the rear (heh). But I’ll check them out.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Thoughts? (27.5”)
    My timid wife never had any issues with Nobby Nics that came stock on her bike. Even with the sidewalls that were apparently made out of onion skin. Even at low-ish pressures. Not sure if they roll faster than HRII, though.