Page 128 of 166 FirstFirst ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 4131
    Agree that a Martello rolls faster than an HR2. Probably has more grip too. If nothing else, you could just swap the rear.

Staying within Maxxis - Dissector front, Aggressor rear?

Well, I am kinda looking to lighten things up for her as well, she really could get away with flyweight casings.

Anyone willing to guess if the 2.6 Martello would fit in an XS Rocky Thunderbolt frame?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, I am kinda looking to lighten things up for her as well, she really could get away with flyweight casings.

Anyone willing to guess if the 2.6 Martello would fit in an XS Rocky Thunderbolt frame?
    At some point bigger isn't better. The 2.6's are heavier, slower rolling, and harder to access the side knobs than a 2.4.
    She ought to be able to run low pressure even with the 2.4's and if she needs a bit more damping / protection then a light insert like a Tannus Tubeless or CushCore XC can go a long way.

My vote for tires that balance grip and speed are the Specialized Eliminator on the Front and Purgatory on the back (incorrectly said Ground Control).

Additionally, given her size, I'd really double check to make sure her suspension is working well. That can make a world of difference.
    Last edited by XtrPickels; 07-13-2022 at 03:05 PM.

Last season I spent too much time (and money) trying to figure out what a good "downcountry" tire combo for the Tetons looks like. Messed around with an Aggressors, a Rekon, Rekon Race, and more. Went Specialized Ground Control front and rear this spring and and am really pumped on 'em. They feel like they roll comparably to a Recon, but where I couldn't really get used to a Recon on the front, I'm pretty frigging happy with how these corner. Nice and predictable, with a "round" feel as you lean through the transitional knobs, and then definite support. They've taken a little getting used to on the rear, I'm used to getting into that vague space between the rolling and the corning knobs of a DHRII to sort of move the bike around and drift the rear end, but these want to stay locked in at lower speeds and angels. Running Octamousse inserts front and rear and so far durability has been good, even after some bullshit Targhee laps on the hardtail. Lady friend has been running one on the rear of her Sentinel for about a year, and finally killed it with a bead flat, but had also not really checked tire pressure, and then charged a bunch of square-edged chunk, so I'm not really surprised. Highly recommend, especially for $65

All good points, boys, much appreciated.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Agree that a Martello rolls faster than an HR2. Probably has more grip too. If nothing else, you could just swap the rear.

Staying within Maxxis - Dissector front, Aggressor rear?
    If that works for your riding style... it'd drift a bit in the front and have some intermediary knobs in the back.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Maxxis updated the Forekaster. Looks like a pretty kick ass rear tire. (For me, anyway).
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ok, you folks that know other tires than Maxxis, I have a Q. My wife is looking for something that rolls faster than an HRII, but is still grippy. I was going to suggest some Ardents, but I couldn’t find any of them with grippy compounds. She is a very timid rider, so possibly a 2.6 up front and a 2.5 rear might work for her (Plus Light, if you will? ). I think the bigger volume would allow lower pressures, which would help her with the feeling that she is “bouncing off rocks”.
    Any suggestions? She would be a good candidate for a light casing as she is only 4’11” (and 3/4”!!!)
    But we have moon dust here until September, so she needs some knobs.
    Thoughts? (27.5”)
    Barzo? It’s an aggressive XC tire but the compound is pretty darn grippy and it’s definitely light. Has enough knobs to make moon dust tolerable, I run it as my front tire for 50 milers in late summer.

No longer stuck.

I’ve run the original Forekaster on my Izzo the last two season in CO/UT. No issues really, but not quite enough grip for me. Not sure if the update gets enough for my taste and/or is worth the $$$ to test.

Took my wife’s Ripley out yesterday and her Nobby Nic’s felt more locked in cornering without much difference in resistance and sub100g weight penalty.

I’m a tire novice, but besides the Nobby’s my perusing tells me the new Vittoria, new Conti and some Spec tires might give me improved grip at around 800g and low resistance?

Maxxis updated the Forekaster. Looks like a pretty kick ass rear tire. (For me, anyway).
    Not a very big difference from the original. Realigned the intermediate knobs, changed the siping, and slapped "Downcountry" on it.

Relatively tall, thin, knobs look squirmy on hardpack. Might work ok where you can penetrate the soil but it's not the all-around DC performer they're billing it as.

And it gained a decent amount of weight. If it weighs and rolls the same as the Dissector, I think that’s the better option for most conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Not a very big difference from the original. Realigned the intermediate knobs, changed the siping, and slapped "Downcountry" on it.

Relatively tall, thin, knobs look squirmy on hardpack. Might work ok where you can penetrate the soil but it's not the all-around DC performer they're billing it as.
    I don’t know that I agree with that.

Based on the pictures the new one has much tighter knob spacing and doesn’t have huge open voids that the old one had. I would have thought that’d make it a better on hardpack and worse in mud but I’ll never know because at that 945g it’s not even competitive in the DC space its targeting.

Reminds me of an X King with better side knobs, IMHO
    No longer stuck.

What tire question...

I need a more XC setup for a few rides I have on the horizon.
    I normally ride a long trail/enduro bike with maxxgrip or maxxtera compound assegai front dhrii rear.

What would be a tire that is much faster rolling to get some miles of non tech done, but I won't kill myself because I'm used to such big knobby summabitches.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic
    Vittoria Syerra
    WTB Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    What tire question...

I need a more XC setup for a few rides I have on the horizon.
    I normally ride a long trail/enduro bike with maxxgrip or maxxtera compound assegai front dhrii rear.

What would be a tire that is much faster rolling to get some miles of non tech done, but I won't kill myself because I'm used to such big knobby summabitches.
    As someone who was just in your scenario, Specialized Ground Control for at least the rear, maybe the front too.

How's the old style Purgatory for a front tire? This one:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Specialize...UaAkIIEALw_wcB
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    As someone who was just in your scenario, Specialized Ground Control for at least the rear, maybe the front too.
    I liked the GC I ran until it wore out too, especially for the cost.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

Damn, $12? And looks like they have the mud tire (hillbilly) for $14.

I'm tempted to give it a shot (at least for the rear?). The Regolith Pros that came on my bike are starting to feel looser than I'd like now that our trails are drying out from a wet May/June.

Damn - Jenson has some good deals on 26" tires... thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

I disliked it as a rear, and I imagine it'd be significantly worse as a front. It was vague and would occasionally just kinda let go without much warning. Better than a nevegal, but not by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    <snip> Better than a nevegal

Just ordered some new Contis for mini bikepark tour/enduro race coming up next month: Kr Front Super Soft DH, Kr Rear Soft DH, Xy Soft DH. Really interested to see how they hold up on rocks, possibly order more pedal friendly options for the fall.
    "Just send it you pussy."

25% off at CRC got another Minion DHRII DD for the back wheel ... don't mess with success
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know