Page 116 of 167 FirstFirst ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 4157
    inserts out>dh casings on, I'll report findings after a full weekend of scientific experimentation.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Kewl I'll definitely order stuff from them then

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    inserts out>dh casings on, I'll report findings after a full weekend of scientific experimentation.
    Yeah let us know what you find. My final Wild Rock'R2 (with Tannus) should last until lifts close, then I'll try the lighter AM2 + Tannus and have a DH34 Bike Park on standby if that doesn't hold up but I'm loath to add an insert to the already heavy DH34 especially when I'm climbing more on the bike. I've heard people say drop pressure with DH casings but if I'm dinging rims occasionally without visible damage with midweight casings and inserts then surely I'm going to damage rims with DH casings sans-inserts at the same pressure, no?

EDIT: This article on NSMB makes some good reading, and makes me think midweight casing + insert will work best for our rough terrain rather than DH. I have a thing for Michelin at the moment so hope that the AM2 works out for me on the rear, with Tannus changed to CushCore if need be, rather than bumping up to the DH34 Bike Park. I'd happily run a Wild Enduro Front Gum-X with insert on the rear when they come back in stock too - the casing is meant to be the same as the AM2 but feels a bit thicker in hand.

Also a guide friend of mine tried my old CushCore rear this week with a Maxxis DH casing after 3 or 4 years on Procore and ripped the bead off on the first berm...

Tannus report: no easier to install than CushCore and feels like halfway between a CushCore and no insert in terms of feel, protection and support. It's working fine for now and I'll take the 100g saving.
    Last edited by LC; 08-22-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Not quite new rubber day and 100 reasons why tubeless is the shit. Pulled these out (and more) after the ride, topped off with fresh sealant and now she’s good as new again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1764.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	383067

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Not quite new rubber day and 100 reasons why tubeless is the shit. Pulled these out (and more) after the ride, topped off with fresh sealant and now she’s good as new again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1764.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	383067
    Little weapons! Kind of nice to see the direct reward for a 2bliss setup

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    Very curious about this, please report back. Im currently testing different inserts against eachother, and the going to compare inserts to double down casing with no insert.

FOR SCIENCE.

I rode my wife's Stumpy EVO last night which was my first experience with Specialized tires. No complaints about the Butcher T9 on the front, but the Eliminator T7 that's on the rear seemed a little short on grip despite the hero dirt.

I’ve signed up for the Whistler Back 40 race, which is essentially a 3-stage XC race but with some very rowdy and jagged (for XC) descents. I am thinking a rear tire that is tough, fast rolling but not overly heavy would be the way to go. A 2.3 Aggressor DD (~1100 g) looks about right. Are there any other options for relatively light, fast 2-ply tires I should consider?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I rode my wife's Stumpy EVO last night which was my first experience with Specialized tires. No complaints about the Butcher T9 on the front, but the Eliminator T7 that's on the rear seemed a little short on grip despite the hero dirt.
    Don't you dare say that about the Eliminator, I just picked up a couple!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I’ve signed up for the Whistler Back 40 race, which is essentially a 3-stage XC race but with some very rowdy and jagged (for XC) descents. I am thinking a rear tire that is tough, fast rolling but not overly heavy would be the way to go. A 2.3 Aggressor DD (~1100 g) looks about right. Are there any other options for relatively light, fast 2-ply tires I should consider?
    I weighed a Aggressor DD and it was 50 grams heavier than a DHR2 DD.

How about a Continental Trail King 2.4 with protection? Not full casing but pretty solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Don't you dare say that about the Eliminator, I just picked up a couple!
    Hah, sorry! It was a one-run review and I did adapt to the feel as the run went on. The T9 flavor might also be better. Specialized says the Butcher is only 25 g heavier and the Eliminator doesn't look like it would roll that much faster so I'll probably go Butcher F/R when she wears this one out.

I also just installed the butcher t9/eliminator t7 combo on my Smuggler. Looking forward to trying something new. The Butcher weighed in at about 1030g and the Eliminator about 940g. Both 2.3 and GridTrail. Shortly after install they both measured a hair under 2.4”.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    How about a Continental Trail King 2.4 with protection? Not full casing but pretty solid.
    The weight on those is similar to EXO casing. Are they really much stronger?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I weighed a Aggressor DD and it was 50 grams heavier than a DHR2 DD.

But much faster rolling.

2.3 DD Aggressor is my go to for a downcountry or whatever you want to call it rear tire. It's what I've got on my spur.

Sounds like what i want the new michelin wild am2 29 x 2.4 for. Im considering those in 2.6 front and 2.4 rear. Modelled after the dh34 but lighter. Id describe them as a faster rolling dhr2. Similar width, somewhere between exo+ and dd weight, sheds mud well, really good side knob support and i'd imagine it'd be as pinch proof as a dd

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Hah, sorry! It was a one-run review and I did adapt to the feel as the run went on. The T9 flavor might also be better. Specialized says the Butcher is only 25 g heavier and the Eliminator doesn't look like it would roll that much faster so I'll probably go Butcher F/R when she wears this one out.
    I've been running Butcher T9 Grid Trail Front, Eliminator T7/T9 Grid Gravity rear. Grip is good enough to feel confident. Better than an aggressor, but not at a DHR level. Similar to a Dissector.
    However, this combo seems real slow while pedaling.

Dissector-level grip feels about right. My bike has Rock'R2s F/R so my traction standards are high. The climb was 2,700 vert in 4 miles so rolling resistance was not evaluated. It sounds like you're saying that Butcher F/R probably wouldn't roll much slower?

What does DownCountry mean?

Eliminator T9/T7 Gravity on back of DH bike. Rolls fast enough for me at the bike park. Transitioning into cornering knobs felt squirmy. Sometimes. Enough that a couple times I thought I’d lost air pressure. I’ll figure it out, and I’m sure a rad agent would know what to do with it. But a DHR II ain’t like that. Which I guess is the point.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    What does DownCountry mean?
    100-125 mm travel with aggressive/progressive geo.

^^^ That.

Or, the marketing department needs a way to sell the same old cross country bike in the North American market. So they throw a slightly shorter stem on, have one of their enduro guys hop on the bike for a quick edit, and boom! a downcountry bike is born.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Sounds like what i want the new michelin wild am2 29 x 2.4 for. Im considering those in 2.6 front and 2.4 rear. Modelled after the dh34 but lighter. Id describe them as a faster rolling dhr2. Similar width, somewhere between exo+ and dd weight, sheds mud well, really good side knob support and i'd imagine it'd be as pinch proof as a dd
    The AM2's casing is the equivalent of Maxxis EXO at best in terms of weight (1000g for the 29x2.4, so a little lighter than spec weight) and feel in-hand. Michelin says it's the same casing as the Enduro Front but it feels thinner. And the side knobs are way less supported than the DH34/Enduro Front/Rock'R2. AM2 is what I'm going to try next on the rear and hopefully the casing holds up with an insert. Side knob support is what I'm more dubious about - me and everyone I know who tried the Enduro Rear on local trails had the side knobs rip out pretty quickly and the AM2's look even less supported.

The local shop has a 29x2.3 Tomahawk DD for cheap. This tire has been discontinued by Maxxis and there’s not a ton of info out there on it. But weight is similar to the Aggressor, it looks to be fast rolling, and has 3C rubber, which may help over the dual compound on the Aggressor if the roots are damp. This race may be a good application for this weird tire.

Anyone have any experience with the Tomahawk?

Roots? That tire would suck on roots. Round profile and less knobs. Discontinued for a reason.

The local shop has a 29x2.3 Tomahawk DD for cheap. This tire has been discontinued by Maxxis and there’s not a ton of info out there on it. But weight is similar to the Aggressor, it looks to be fast rolling, and has 3C rubber, which may help over the dual compound on the Aggressor if the roots are damp. This race may be a good application for this weird tire.

Anyone have any experience with the Tomahawk?
    I had that tire - came stock on the rear of a Kona Explosif. OK when new, similar traction to a semi slick. Little knobs wore fast, quickly went to poor traction. I wouldn't buy it again. Aggressor lasts a lot longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I had that tire - came stock on the rear of a Kona Explosif. OK when new, similar traction to a semi slick. Little knobs wore fast, quickly went to poor traction. I wouldn't buy it again. Aggressor lasts a lot longer.
    Thanks, that’s helpful. I went for the Tomahawk. The tire was 50% off so I won’t be too choked if there’s a reduced lifespan.