Page 98 of 167 FirstFirst ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 4158
    Personally, I see no difference in flat protection between exo and exo+. I get a lot of flats with either unless I'm running fairly high pressure.

I can get away with DD with no insert for most riding. If I'm racing, then I go DH casing, no insert. If I was riding lift served every day, I'd go dh casing with an insert.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I didn't really look that closely but dissector has that option and it was like the first tire i clicked on.

60tpi being mostly exo and 120 exo+ is a trend i hadn't noticed though.

And I wonder how the actual construction of like, a 120tpi aspen compares to a 120tpi dhf. I'm guessing not the same?
    I’m guessing not the same as well.

Wow, look at that - yeah the 27.5x2.6 Dissector is available in a 60tpi EXO+.

Believe it or not, I’m actually not using Maxxis tires currently 😳. So far so good...

Edit: long story short, the intent of my original response was: no, EXO+ tires are not significantly more durable than EXO tires, but I do think they may have a slightly better ride quality, largely due to the widespread use of 120tpi casings on EXO+ tires
    Last edited by One (+) Sentence; 03-21-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Here's a data point for you tire destroyers out there.

I just wore out a 664 gram 2.2" Schwalbe Rocket Ron rear after a fairly big trip to SW UT. It did a couple of hundred miles of random riding in NV, then about 40miles at Bootleg Canyon (sharp rocks galore), and then a couple hundred more around St George and Gooseberry.

The tread is all worn down but the sidewalls are fine. I was running 23-25 psi the whole time l. I remain mystified at how people are so regularly destroying sidewalls. The front is a Nobby Nic (950g) that did the whole trip and looks great.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210323_091133.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	368665
    Last edited by climberevan; 03-23-2021 at 09:44 PM.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Here's a data point for you tire destroyers out there.

I just wore out a 664 gram 2.2" Schwalbe Rocket Ron rear after a fairly big trip to SW UT. It did a couple of hundred miles of random riding in NV, then about 40miles at Bootleg Canyon (sharp rocks galore), and then a couple more around St George and Gooseberry.

The tread is all worn down but the sidewalls are fine. I was running 23-25 psi the whole time l. I remain mystified at how people are so regularly destroying sidewalls. The front is a Nobby Nic (950g) that did the whole trip and looks great.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210323_091133.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	368665
    Need to see video of you riding.

I wish I could run a RR. Too much slideways riding prevents it.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Need to see video of you riding.
    Obviously technique plays a huge role. I don't skid intentionally and often publicly call out those who do. I've also been riding for 25 years so it's likely I'm a little more careful than many with respect to tire placement. Smooth is fast.

I remain mystified at how people are so regularly destroying sidewalls. The front is a Nobby Nic (950g) that did the whole trip and looks great.
    The term, "What makes the jump interesting is that it lands in garbage" comes up with some frequency here. Also, "Lots of big loose shit banging up off my bottom bracket in there"
    Just depends on where you are, how you're riding and probably whether you're going for laps or for miles. It's all valid, just different ways of approaching the playground.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Obviously technique plays a huge role. I don't skid intentionally and often publicly call out those who do. I've also been riding for 25 years so it's likely I'm a little more careful than many with respect to tire placement. Smooth is fast.
    Yeah - I've been riding for 30 years and I seek out rocks and shit and smash into them. If I didn't do that, perhaps I could get away with onion-skin sidewalled tires.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    The term, "What makes the jump interesting is that it lands in garbage" comes up with some frequency here. Also, "Lots of big loose shit banging up off my bottom bracket in there"
    Also, shit gets hidden under leaves in the spring/fall and overgrowth in the summer. The rocks you can see are usually not the problem (which also applies to the crappy/blind landing comment).
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

This is another reason why I'm liking Versus tires. Inventory updates. Stock up because tire inventory are going to be low this summer

"Black folding & yellow splatter folding are almost sold out. Blue splatter & all gravity casing stock levels are good, but if you want yellow splatter or black folding for the summer, get them now. We have more black on order but it won't be until late-summer before we get a re-stock."

I'd like to try Versus but I'm not a fan of the DHR/F design with its dead zone. If they put it a pattern that includes knobs all the way across I'll buy it.

II'm not a fan of the DHR/F design with its dead zone.
    Well now this thread is ruined for the next 3 days too.

But muh chain lube!....

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    But muh chain lube!....
    Hot wax your tires and you’ll be faster

I'd like to try Versus but I'm not a fan of the DHR/F design with its dead zone. If they put it a pattern that includes knobs all the way across I'll buy it.
    I get it. As the trail gets steeper and turns tighter, they get better. IMO.

However, we have lots of trails that aren’t aggressive enough and the DHF is vague unless you’re running a soft compound.

I don’t run them on the little bike, but I like them on the bigger bike

That tire is about as attractive as XXX-er's "chain lube" experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

That tire is about as attractive as XXX-er's "chain lube" experiment.
    That's the all-mountain "Jizzy" model?

Seriously

“BuT TeH TraNsiTiOn KnObS!!”
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

That zone is definitely not 'dead'. It's actually what gives some people a complete adrenaline rush when the tire get's tipped and it drifts to lock in.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Hot wax your tires and you’ll be faster
    I'm pretty sure that tire matches up with the squirt camp a bit better.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

What a slightly worn version of that tire looks like. Most people don't notice the yellow. I've never felt a dead zone. Maybe as a front tire?

No need to wax Versus tires, the compound has already got ya covered.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    What a slightly worn version of that tire looks like. Most people don't notice the yellow. I've never felt a dead zone. Maybe as a front tire?

Looks like you crossed a double yellow just after a fresh striping

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1616707746.350748.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	369048

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Anyone compared a Michelin Wild Rock'R2 and Enduro Front directly as a front tyre? I know that there are a lot of fans in the thread but not sure who is running it where.

I'm stocking up parts for a new 29 build. Frame not available until June but figured I should commit and buy my parts now. I got the last available WR2 Gum-X already for the rear (my go-to, I've stopped wasting money experimenting with anything else) but no stock of Enduro Fronts at the moment. I see WR2 Magi-X though which could work up front. I rarely ride in the wet/mud so the WR2's below-par mud shedding isn't a big concern, but I've been on Magic Marys and Enduro Fronts up front since about 2014 so just wondering if it'll feel like a big change from those or easy to adapt to.

Can't compare with the Enduro, but I like the WR2 as a front.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.