Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1445
  1. #1351
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    How? The Aggressor slides on the marbles, the Assguy/DHF/DHR cuts thru them.
    Easy, because Minions have more space between knobs, giving them a better chance to grab loose surfaces.

  2. #1352
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    379
    You aren't saying why my statement is at odds with itself, not that I care. I think we both agree already.

    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Easy, because Minions have more space between knobs, giving them a better chance to grab loose surfaces.

  3. #1353
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    You aren't saying why my statement is at odds with itself, not that I care. I think we both agree already.
    i think Aggressor is better suited for hard pack conditions because it has more, and more tightly spaced knobs. I also think it’s a faster roller for those same reasons, even though it weighs a little more than a Minion in the same size.

    I kinda think of Aggressor as a super sized Ikon that employs the more durable 60tpi rather than the 120tpi found on Maxxis’ XC tires.

  4. #1354
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ...............
    This plus the lbs' mostly stock maxxis because the consumer thinks theyre the only choice. Viticious circle

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  5. #1355
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,840
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    i think Aggressor is better suited for hard pack conditions because it has more, and more tightly spaced knobs. I also think itís a faster roller for those same reasons, even though it weighs a little more than a Minion in the same size.

    I kinda think of Aggressor as a super sized Ikon that employs the more durable 60tpi rather than the 120tpi found on Maxxisí XC tires.
    This^^. I also think toast has enough fingers on one hand to count the mm's between knob heights. Those added knob heights at their max height could offer protection over equally shitty casings

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  6. #1356
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,495
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Hmmm. I think we are just gonna disagree on this one.

    Iím not going to my garage to measure knob height. Both DHF and especially HR2 have ramped center knobs. In the case of the HR2, those center knobs a probably less than 1mm tall in the front of them.

    Like I said, a 60tpi EXO tire is a 60tpi EXO tire and I think any correlation with Aggressors being more puncture prone is purely coincidental.
    Not sure what ramps on the knobs have to do with anything (and aggressors have ramps too, for whatever that's worth). A taller knob holds the casing further from objects, and it adds rigidity to the tire. There's an argument to be made that the hr2 loses some durability because, even though the knobs are taller, they're much more widely spaced, thus exposing more of the carcass to damage. If you said the hr2 isn't any burlier than the aggressor, I'd buy it. But the minions are a different story.

    And you don't have to go measure your tires - you can read literally any review of the aggressor. They all compare it to the minions (universal conclusion: lower knob height).

  7. #1357
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,495
    Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    You aren't saying why my statement is at odds with itself, not that I care. I think we both agree already.
    Your statements are at odds with each other because you're talking about how you value cornering and braking traction, but then you say that you only ride DC tires that pretty clearly give up a bunch of braking and cornering traction compared to a maxxterra or (especially) a maxxgrip tire.

    Especially for a front tire (where, incidentally, most of your cornering and braking happens), DC compounds suck.

  8. #1358
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Not sure what ramps on the knobs have to do with anything (and aggressors have ramps too, for whatever that's worth). A taller knob holds the casing further from objects, and it adds rigidity to the tire. There's an argument to be made that the hr2 loses some durability because, even though the knobs are taller, they're much more widely spaced, thus exposing more of the carcass to damage. If you said the hr2 isn't any burlier than the aggressor, I'd buy it. But the minions are a different story.

    And you don't have to go measure your tires - you can read literally any review of the aggressor. They all compare it to the minions (universal conclusion: lower knob height).
    So you agree that an Aggressor exposes less of the tire carcass due to its more tightly spaced knobs and therefore should not offer any reduction in puncture protection?

    The center knobs of an Aggressor are WAY less ramped than a DHF or HR2.

    Please donít link a Blister review.

  9. #1359
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,190
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    A 2.3 aggressor has 3mm center knobs.
    Hr2 is 3.5mm in a 2.3
    Dhr2 is 4mm in a 2.3, 4.5mm in a 2.4
    Dhf is 4.8mm in a 2.5 (I didn't feel like digging around to find a 2.3)
    Another data point for no reason...

    A new DHF 2.3 in my basement has 4.4 center knobs, measured on the non-ramped side.

  10. #1360
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,190
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    This plus the lbs' mostly stock maxxis because the consumer thinks theyre the only choice. Viticious circle

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Give the people what they want!

  11. #1361
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    379
    I value cornering and braking traction highly. What it appears you cannot grasp is that a Assguy/DHF/DHR DC tire has MORE traction than an Aggressor 3C (of any type). It's not just the compound. FOR THE TIRES I USE, dual compound is the best. More than enough traction, and last 2-3x longer than 3C.

    I am not, nor have I ever said that a dual compound tire has more traction than a 3C tire. I think you are reading more into what I said than I did.

    An aggressor wouldn't last 3 rides with me, which is why it's not an option. BTDT.

    Typically when I ride with someone (showing them around) if they have an Aggressor, I playfully make fun of the tire, and why, and then help them fix the leak during the ride.

  12. #1362
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I value cornering and braking traction highly. What it appears you cannot grasp is that a Assguy/DHF/DHR DC tire has MORE traction than an Aggressor 3C (of any type).
    There is no such thing as a 3C Aggressor.

    Dude, back to the Wasatch thread, where did this Mandelbrot name come from?

  13. #1363
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,495
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    So you agree that an Aggressor exposes less of the tire carcass due to its more tightly spaced knobs and therefore should not offer any reduction in puncture protection?

    The center knobs of an Aggressor are WAY less ramped than a DHF or HR2.
    They just look less ramped because they're so much smaller (and not all of them are ramped).

    This isn't that complicated. Aggressor has lots of little knobs to roll fast on hardpack. Dhf / dhr2 have a fewer, bigger knobs to dig into soft dirt. A byproduct of having big knobs is that there's more rubber between the ground and the tire carcass. The aggressor's low knobs aren't tightly spaced enough to overcome that - down the middle of the tire, I don't think the aggressor's knobs cover much more real estate than the knobs on a dhf.

    But if you want to believe that an aggressor is just as resistant to punctures as a minion, it's no skin off my back.

    (Also, here's Mike Kazimer saying you're wrong: https://m.pinkbike.com/news/maxxis-a...view-2016.html)

  14. #1364
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,760
    This shit is deep. I think Iíve learned a lot?

  15. #1365
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    379
    Then the Aggressor is even worse than my opinion already was, because it's already sorely lacking in traction. At least for me.

    I have no idea where Mandelbrot came from. It's not unusual for trails to have many different names, depending on which crowd you run around with. Flanders is also known as Big Stick (or it was, prior to the slide). Hobo Trail, China Wall, China Cat, are all the same trail.

  16. #1366
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,495
    Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I value cornering and braking traction highly. What it appears you cannot grasp is that a Assguy/DHF/DHR DC tire has MORE traction than an Aggressor 3C (of any type). It's not just the compound. FOR THE TIRES I USE, dual compound is the best. More than enough traction, and last 2-3x longer than 3C.
    Like one sentence said, no such thing as an aggressor 3c. And yeah, no one that's looking for traction rides an aggressor. Just like no one that's looking for traction puts a DC tire on the front of their bike.

  17. #1367
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    379
    ok, now I see what you were referring to. I don't ride the Aggressor, and wasn't aware it only came in DC. Aggressor has no traction climbing either, that's another hit.

    For me the DC Assguy has way more traction than I need, and lasts longer than anything else. The cost in tire life isn't worth the extra traction of a 3C, FOR ME. Was the same with DHF. Assguy has way more traction than DHF, and I don't mind the weight penalty. yeah it's slower on the climbs, but I'm never last so who cares.

  18. #1368
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Then the Aggressor is even worse than my opinion already was, because it's already sorely lacking in traction. At least for me.

    I have no idea where Mandelbrot came from. It's not unusual for trails to have many different names, depending on which crowd you run around with. Flanders is also known as Big Stick (or it was, prior to the slide). Hobo Trail, China Wall, China Cat, are all the same trail.
    What crowd do you roll with? I’m mostly rolling solo these days but like to posse up whenever possible.

    I’ve always just referred to that as the Castle Inner Loop, but used to call it Trail of Payne, after Alta police Officer Kevin Payne because he was the primary builder of that during the summers of ‘99 an ‘00. It used to continue through Memorial Grove all the way to the Albion base, but the forest service and former mayor, Bill Leavitt took issue with it. All that remains now is “Mandelbrot” because it lays inside some of the limited property Alta Ski Lifts owns up there.

    edit: and you’re right, Assegai offers way more traction than a DHF. I have yet to meet anyone who’s tried one and gone back to DHF.

  19. #1369
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,840
    As a counter point the new dissector(designed mostly as a rear tire and suggested paired w assguy) has softer edging knobs for a predictable drift compared to a more positive edge on the front. Michelin does that with magicX /gumX combo, they just last longer , more damp and more grip, but you knew that

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  20. #1370
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cuntecticut
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Sometimes riding slower is tougher on tires with rocks. Shit youíre normally skipping over youíre smashing into
    This.

    Living/riding in ugly no flow slow speed tech land, I wholeheartedly agree.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  21. #1371
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    386
    Im not sold on the ass-guy maxx terra yet ( when compared to a dhf in same width in maxx grip), feels almost skaty at times when leaned over, or should i say not as locked in as a dhf. Also the aggressor on the rear aint got shit on the dhrII, less grip on the steep loose ups and breaking and cornering on the downs which me no likey. Itís interesting to feel the change in the bike behavior with a change in rubber patterns.

  22. #1372
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,280
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    WG: sidewall tear or tread? I actually wonder whether DD extra weight gives proportionately as much extra durability. Seems like you’d be better off with EXO + CushCore than standalone DD for similar weight.

    P.S. you were probably just unlucky.

    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Sidewall gash 1/2" from rim + smaller cut right at the bead in the same spot. I patched it from the inside, but it looks like the tire has a small tumor now. Doubt it lasts longer than a couple weeks.

    Edit to add:

    I have looked at the michelins you guys all rave about, but they only come in 2.3 and I am running 35mm internal rims....thus why I run 2.5 WT tires front and rear.

  23. #1373
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    1,409
    i'm going going back to a Panaracer Smoke and a Dart that I had on my last bike. real bits of panther in them sidewalls

  24. #1374
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Sidewall gash 1/2" from rim + smaller cut right at the bead in the same spot. I patched it from the inside, but it looks like the tire has a small tumor now. Doubt it lasts longer than a couple weeks.

    Edit to add:

    I have looked at the michelins you guys all rave about, but they only come in 2.3 and I am running 35mm internal rims....thus why I run 2.5 WT tires front and rear.
    Wild enduro are 2.4 and rockr2 is 2.35 and theyre the same width as a maxxis 2.5 similar to how schwalbe measure their tires

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  25. #1375
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,840
    Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    i'm going going back to a Panaracer Smoke and a Dart that I had on my last bike. real bits of panther in them sidewalls
    Do it man!! Crazy how wide tires used to be 2.025 then 2.25

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •