Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1151
  1. #1001
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,075
    Looking for a pretty specific wet/mixed weather tire.

    - Racing in Helena, MT this weekend. Been up there training alot the past month. The terrain is a mix of chunky and packed gravel that rides great no matter how much it's raining. Several stages are on new trails in brown sticky soil or older trails in deep dark woods with more packed but still sticky soil.

    - Last Sunday I pre-rode the course. My standard tires are DHF - EXO - MaxTerra 2.5WT up front. Agressor DD 2.5WT in the back. Ibis 741 wheels with 35mm internal. The super wideness limits which tires work well. I love this setup. The Agressor works great in all conditions (besides super slop). The DHF is obviously proven, but Helena has weird kinda dirt that in the "soil" places I mentioned before will really stick and clog up a DHF and then it's sliding out in the turns.

    - Yesterday I tried my Shorty on the front. 2.5WT DD casing. Heavy as fuck. Hooks up in the peanut butter, but slow to get up to speed and climbing blows.

    - I need something in between a DHF and Shorty that is also optimized for wide ass rims. Also, has to be available in a most shops since I don't have time to order anything.

    Forecast is for on and off rain and storms the next 5 days.

  2. #1002
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,075
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Assegai 2.5 WT 3C DD
    So damn heavy though. Heavier than my Shorty 2.5 WT DD I think.

    I definitely don't think I need DD casing in the front. I weight like 145-150#. DD and DH tires seem overkill for me....at least on the front.

  3. #1003
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    So damn heavy though. Heavier than my Shorty 2.5 WT DD I think.

    I definitely don't think I need DD casing in the front. I weight like 145-150#. DD and DH tires seem overkill for me....at least on the front.
    Yeah - DD casing is probably overkill for a front. The AssGuy comes in an EXO 3c 2.5WT as well. Right around 1000g.

  4. #1004
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,075
    1000g is on par with the DHF. I'm concerned with the shedding abilities though. Anyone run one in sticky peanut butter?

    https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/We...e-Assegai,2301

  5. #1005
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    1000g is on par with the DHF. I'm concerned with the shedding abilities though. Anyone run one in sticky peanut butter?

    https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/We...e-Assegai,2301
    Nothing works in sticky peanut butter that I've ever seen. Except perhaps tires with NO tread in the center. But those tires are, generally speaking, pretty useless.

  6. #1006
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,075
    Any of the Schwalbes worth looking at? Probably have to run a 2.6" though for my wide rims. My only experience with them is a rock razor in the rear which is fast as hell, but drifty. I know people love the magic mary and hans up front though.

  7. #1007
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Donner Summit
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    - I need something in between a DHF and Shorty that is also optimized for wide ass rims. Also, has to be available in a most shops since I don't have time to order anything.
    Don't know about availability, but the EXO Shorty Maxx Terra seems like the obvious option. 965 grams in 27.5x2.5WT.
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Maxxis-Sho...ExoTr-275-Tire

  8. #1008
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,353
    Maybe consider getting some rims that aren't retarded?


  9. #1009
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,353
    Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Don't know about availability, but the EXO Shorty Maxx Terra seems like the obvious option. 965 grams in 27.5x2.5WT.
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Maxxis-Sho...ExoTr-275-Tire
    Seems like the obvious choice.

    I was perusing the BTI catalog and that model doesn't even show up... weird.

  10. #1010
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,075
    Weight aside, the Shorty center knobs are so square edged that when climbing or on anything remotely hard you can feel every single knob. It's like riding a bike with a tractor tire on the front.

    I would also feel stupid buying a 3rd....yes 3rd Shorty. I have a DH casing and DD casing. Why? I have no fucking idea.

  11. #1011
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Any of the Schwalbes worth looking at? Probably have to run a 2.6" though for my wide rims. My only experience with them is a rock razor in the rear which is fast as hell, but drifty. I know people love the magic mary and hans up front though.
    Magic Mary is exactly what you're looking for. Something in between a Minion & Shorty. Sheds mud very well. They make 2.35 & 2.6. You want the Soft (orange) or Ultra Soft (purple) compound.

  12. #1012
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,075
    935g claimed for the 27.5X2.6 Magic Mary in snakeskin TLE orange soft compound. Very intriguing. Might have to try this.

  13. #1013
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,298
    Magic Mary sheds the mud well. Brits love that tire. I think the Michelin wild enduro is just under 1000g. That also has good spacing for mud

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  14. #1014
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    380
    Interested to hear your thoughts WG if you run MMís, as compared to a DHF up front. I have been tempted to try the MM (mainly on the front) but havenít yet.

  15. #1015
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Any of the Schwalbes worth looking at? Probably have to run a 2.6" though for my wide rims. My only experience with them is a rock razor in the rear which is fast as hell, but drifty. I know people love the magic mary and hans up front though.
    You don't want the Hans Dampf. The knobs are smaller an more tightly spaced than a DHF; I haven't ridden it in mud but I would expect it to be worse at clearing than the DHF. It's a good tire for someone that wants a less aggro DHF, but I don't think it's what you're looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  16. #1016
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,855
    Nobby Nic 2.6

    Good all rounder.

  17. #1017
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,353
    I've never heard anyone say the MM rolls well.

    As far as Nobby Nic - shouldn't they rename that "Nobbies Falling Off Nic"?


  18. #1018
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    2,985
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Maybe consider getting some rims that aren't retarded?

    hehehe

    what about trimming your Shorty so it rolls faster.....
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  19. #1019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    hehehe

    what about trimming your Shorty so it rolls faster.....
    That was my first thought about 100 feet into the first climb the other day. Won't shed much weight though. My DHF is pretty worn, so I might as well just get a new front that I can use as a "daily driver" that might shed mud well too.

  20. #1020
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,841
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I've never heard anyone say the MM rolls well.

    As far as Nobby Nic - shouldn't they rename that "Nobbies Falling Off Nic"?

    The good thing about that.... is once the knobs actually do fall off, it's perfectly timed with a warranty claim to get a new tire since you need it anyways. I did that with three NN's last year, and had a new tire within 5 days from Schwalbe.

    But I must say, the new Addix compound is $$$ for my type of high-country riding. It's my preferred rear tire when I'm not slamming rocks in Moab, Fruita, St. George, etc.

  21. #1021
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,167
    Mud shedding and rolls well don't really belong in the same sentence together. I think you should say fuck it and throw a WetScream on there. You get a great mud tire that also works in deep talc, and you can legit say "Brap!" every time you look down at it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  22. #1022
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,353
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    <snip>
    But I must say, the new Addix compound is $$$ for my type of high-country riding. It's my preferred rear tire when I'm not slamming rocks in Moab, Fruita, St. George, etc.
    Yeah... I tend to forget that people don't slam rocks every time they go out. 'Cause I do.

  23. #1023
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    You don't want the Hans Dampf. The knobs are smaller an more tightly spaced than a DHF; I haven't ridden it in mud but I would expect it to be worse at clearing than the DHF. It's a good tire for someone that wants a less aggro DHF, but I don't think it's what you're looking for.
    Agreed. I feel HD is kinda their version of an Aggressor. Definitely not suited for mud.

    You can get Schwalbes really cheap from Bike-Discount.de (~$45/each), but you'll pay about $25 total on shipping to the US. So if you're just buying 1 tire, it's probably not worth the hassle, but if you're buying 2 or more, it starts looking really attractive.

  24. #1024
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virgina (It's humid here)
    Posts
    4,314
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah... I tend to forget that people don't slam rocks every time they go out. 'Cause I do.
    Whatís the point of going out if youíre not slamming rocks?
    Of course, thereís root slamming if youíre on this side of the yard.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

  25. #1025
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,353
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Whatís the point of going out if youíre not slamming rocks?
    Not any reason I can think of...

    Of course, thereís root slamming if youíre on this side of the yard.
    Which are nearly as capable of pinch-flatting a flimsy shit-tire as the rox.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •