Page 122 of 167 FirstFirst ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 4158
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm pretty sure they fixed that a while back. I've been running some combination of Black Chili TK, Baron and Kaiser for the last two years (maybe 8-10 tires in total) and haven't had any issues at all. In fact, the only flats I've had were on stupid lines where any tire this side of DH casings would have punctured.
    Right on - I'll have to see if I can rustle up some contis and give them another shot.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Given the discussion ^^ I thought worth posting that conti just dropped new gravity tires:

https://bikerumor.com/new-continenta...ity-mtb-tires/

5 tread patterns in a whopping 40 casing, rubber compound, size and tread variants.

Holy sh!t that sounds like a lot to wrap my brain around.

Meanwhile I bought a Butcher for under $40 and a pair of Eliminators for under $60, all in gridgravity casing. Starting to look a my DHF exo+ that cost nearly $100 with a bit less fondness...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Has anyone gotten a pair of the Hutchinson Griffus 29x2.5 and 29x2.4 in the 2x66tpi casing? What are the actual weight of those tires? They seem to be tricky to find online but I am very intrigued to try them out.

I just got a new set of DHF 29x2.5 and DHR 29x2.4 Double Down Maxxterra, 1290 grams and 1210 grams respectively. Not so heavy, but they are heavier than Ive seen previously. Other sets have been closer to 1150 each.

Will be using these for my bike park wheelset only. The only reason I am counting grams is when I ran cushcore with exo+ casing they came out to about 1350 grams per wheel and felt too heavy and more difficult to maneuver in my opinion.

If possible, my ideal setup would be a dual ply casing tire that is on the lighter end of the spectrum (closer to 1150 grams) where I can run some lighter inserts like the Tubolight Evo HD (90 grams each) without getting too heavy for the whole set. My theory/idea is take some weight out of a dual ply tire (without downgrading to a single ply tire) and replace that weight with an insert for potentially overall better performance than just a tire with the equivalent weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Meanwhile I bought a Butcher for under $40 and a pair of Eliminators for under $60, all in gridgravity casing. Starting to look a my DHF exo+ that cost nearly $100 with a bit less fondness...
    I’m a big fan of the Eliminators, great combination of rolling speed and cornering traction. The 2.6 is like a maxxis 2.4/5, I’ll run a 2.6 front and rear.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I’m a big fan of the Eliminators, great combination of rolling speed and cornering traction. The 2.6 is like a maxxis 2.4/5, I’ll run a 2.6 front and rear.
    So really a 2.3 based on Maxxis standard undersizing

I was waffling between 2.4 and 2.6 and went with the smaller ones. On a 30mm IW rim the Eliminator ends up being a touch wider than spec, probably 2.45". The Butcher on the same rim in the front took forever to stretch, started at barely 2.3" which pissed me off to no end, tire looked like a sad hotdog in the fork hallway. It's now about the same as a 2.5" DHF (around 2.45"). I'm really liking the combo and can't say I noticed a drop in performance from the Maxxis stuff. Durability is good so far and I've not been kind to the rear tire since I've discovered the joy of sliding the rear all over the place. No flats despite some aggressive (some would say idiotic) behavior around pointy rocks, and that's with the Grid Trail casing. Going to put the Grid Gravity casing on the big bike and see how much pressure I can drop, currently running 21f and 25r and that's about as low as I can go in the rear and keep my wheel alive.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Bumping this up to report I am enjoying a new Panaracer Gravel King SS+ on the rear wheel of my gravel/all road bike. Had been on the SK before but I really do more pavement than gravel, and the new tire seems to roll a little better. It is a nice in between of a knobby tire and a wide road tire.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    New-to-me Norco Optic came with the stock tires, 2.4" Vittoria Mazza in front and 2.35" Vittoria Martello in the back.
    Update: quoted post was asking what to replace these with, but after riding them, I quite like them. They feel pretty similar in grip to a DHF/DHR II combo but roll faster. Not enough miles to really tell but they seem to wear well too. I'd buy another set.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I cannot keep track of what Specialized is always up to with their tires. And they seem to like to fuck up a good thing just for the sake of "new and improved". Like, go look at a Butcher from a few years ago. Tell me that is not a better tread.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Given the discussion ^^ I thought worth posting that conti just dropped new gravity tires:

https://bikerumor.com/new-continenta...ity-mtb-tires/

5 tread patterns in a whopping 40 casing, rubber compound, size and tread variants.

Holy sh!t that sounds like a lot to wrap my brain around.
    Their rear specific tire looks like a front tire. They must think so too if it comes in a 2.6, but the "front specific" one doesn't. It actually looks like a really good front tire too. I just don't like the idea of pushing around a 1200g 29er tire. I know it's the default for some, but I need all the help I can get.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Their rear specific tire looks like a front tire. They must think so too if it comes in a 2.6, but the "front specific" one doesn't. It actually looks like a really good front tire too. I just don't like the idea of pushing around a 1200g 29er tire. I know it's the default for some, but I need all the help I can get.

I wouldn’t have any interest in pushing around a 2.6 29er no matter what it weighed.
    1040g (stated spec) for a 29x2.4 trail casing seems quite competitive though I do find it strange that weight spec seems to same irrespective of tread pattern.
    Would be interested if anyone has tried them.

I just got a first ride on the Xynotals (set up F/R) this morning- they're the 2.4" trail version. I also have a set of Kryptotals and Argotals in the garage too (all trail casings, their distributor sent them to me) but I'm waiting until tires wear out to mount those up. First off, the names suck; why not just keep the Trail King/Baron/Kaiser names?

Conti tires are definitely higher volume than what I've seen from Schwalbe and Maxxis. Their 2.4" tires are similar to the 2.5" WT Maxxis tires. The trail casing is essentially the same as their enduro casing, minus the "Apex" sidewall protection insert. I've been running some combination of Conti Trail King II, Baron and Kaiser for most of the last couple of seasons, and the trail casing tires feel similar to their previous Black Chili tires. The Xynotals seemed to have plenty of grip in the dry conditions this morning, and they definitely feel like they roll pretty fast.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Thanks smmokan
    I recognize these are pitched as gravity tires but do you think the xynotal in trail casing replaces the trail king or is there a spot for both at the less demanding, more pedally dry conditions end of the spectrum ?

Went back to DHR2 as a rear tire on my Madonna during winter in Santa Cruz. Started with Double Down Maxx Grip and went with a DD Max Terra next (both 29 x 2.4). I was really disappointed in the treadwear of the MT version. The cornering knobs are severely undercutting and the braking/rolling bits are crumbling with less mileage vs MG version. I did get faster/more confident/less broken as the season wore on but this is still pretty disappointing.

Putting a DD Dual Compound Aggressor on for summer in Flagstaff. No complaints on the new EXO+ MG Assegai but it only has 1 ride.

This Canadian site is having a decent sale on The older Continental tires. Never used them but grabbed 2 for backups, hard to beat the price I think.

https://bicicletta.cc/collections/ti...3Amgr=Mountain

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Thanks smmokan
    I recognize these are pitched as gravity tires but do you think the xynotal in trail casing replaces the trail king or is there a spot for both at the less demanding, more pedally dry conditions end of the spectrum ?
    Not entirely sure what you're asking... but my assumption is that the Xynotal replaces the Trail King II in Continental's lineup (ie, there isn't an update to the TKII coming). I think it's a good option for a less-demanding and faster-rolling trail tire, which is how I plan to use it. They're a little heavier than Maxxis EXO but seem to be way more durable assuming they're similar to the older Black Chili compound. From looking at their new lineup, my thoughts are:

Trail riding: Xynotal F/R or Kryptotal F/R as front and Xynotal rear.
    Enduro: Kryptotal F/R
    Aggressive Enduro with moar grp: Argotal F/R or Argotal F / Kryptotal R
    Last edited by smmokan; 06-06-2022 at 03:35 PM.

Old:
    Trail: 2.4 DHR2 MT EXO / 2.4 Dissector MT EXO+
    Gravity: 2.6 DHR2 MT EXO+ / 2.4 Kaiser Projekt Apex

New:
    Trail: 2.4 Mazza Trail / 2.4 Dissector MT EXO+
    Gravity: 2.4 Magic Mary ST Soft / 2.4 Big Betty ST Soft

I'll eventually do something better for the Gravity setup, like a Mazza 2 Ply 2.6 / 2.4
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post

I'll eventually do something better for the Gravity setup, like a Mazza 2 Ply 2.6 / 2.4
    This is a killer tire setup

Continental had a HUGE booth at Sea Otter and was really making a slash about the new tires. They all looked like lift/shuttle serve models to me, so i asked them if they were going to make some that suited those who liked to pedal. They said more new models are in the pipeline, presumably to be similarly inscrutably named. Their sales pitch about using casing tech developed on the road tires rang true: the GP5000 is a really great tire with very low rolling resistance while also being pretty durable.

After finally giving up on repairing the knob I tore out of a Vittoria Agarro I put a 2.4 Pirelli Scorpion R on the rear. I like it so far: it's a bit grippier than the Agarro but rolls about the same. I have the matching front but the Kenda Hellcat I'm running now seems indestructible, so it might be a bit.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I put on some tires specifically for an uphill race last week that, uh, don't have a ton of grip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220602_212250428.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	418293

The used one I had to put on the rear was like 520g. The fresh one was 540ish? Put my hei hei under 25lbs. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't leave them on for actual xc racing this weekend.

wow now i feel like my tires are heavy at 940g for a 2.4 mazza
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Wow. My GF borrowed a set of wheels with new Ardent Race tires on them for a race and put like 4 deep scratches in the sidewalls in 65 miles. It wasn't tough terrain at all. The scratches all weep sealant now, so she had to replace the tire for our friend. Every time I consider super light tires i remind myself that nothing is slower than a flat. My preference is to use less knobby but still rugged sidewall types that all seem to weigh 900+g.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

They're kenda sabers, I used them for part of a season and some regular riding a few years ago (the last time I did this uphill event actually). They made it through a 50mi backcountry race and I caught the leader on the long road descent to the finish in town and won and have to give the tires some credit for that.

My 2.35 racing ray/ralph combo in the new super trail casing have held up to some pretty sharp, rocky trails so far, but weigh like 780g each, which is kind of a lot for an XC tire. Most of the other popular ones are more in the 700 range (an aspen 2.25 is listed at 650). Probably going to go back to vittorias, the mezcal is a little lighter, a little faster, and a little cheaper than the schwalbes.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    <snip> Kenda

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Continental had a HUGE booth at Sea Otter and was really making a slash about the new tires. They all looked like lift/shuttle serve models to me, so i asked them if they were going to make some that suited those who liked to pedal. They said more new models are in the pipeline, presumably to be similarly inscrutably named. Their sales pitch about using casing tech developed on the road tires rang true: the GP5000 is a really great tire with very low rolling resistance while also being pretty durable.
    That's interesting, since there's virtually no reviews online anywhere about the new tires.

Maybe their next release will be replacements for the Race King, Cross King, and Trail King? I think the Xynotals are pretty good for most trail riding... definitely not an XC tire, but they roll plenty fast. They're similar to a Maxxis Dissector, IMO.