Page 18 of 165 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Very strategic, stabby braking. Solid, embedded rocks are your friends for braking.
    Yeah I'm always looking for rocks that are not loose, roots, or even just a banked side or the trail you can whack into and get enough weight into to dig the tires in. Also the aides of the trail tend to have fewer ball bearings as they tend to roll into the middle.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Double checked mine. 2.5 dhf is about 2mm wider than the 2.4 dhr2. 27.5" wheels, 28mm internal rims.
    Same here. I definitely have less clearance on the rear of my Hightower with a 2.5 DHF vs. 2.4 DHRII (29") and seems like more volume.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Same here. I definitely have less clearance on the rear of my Hightower with a 2.5 DHF vs. 2.4 DHRII (29") and seems like more volume.
    Good. Maybe by the time the mtb world is on 48.75" wheels their tires will actually measure to the listed number as well.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Yea, of course it's a personal problem. This is my therapist. You're my couch!

Me: 28/25
    Mrs: 20/19
    Could definitely see room to drop pressure. I'm used to more rim crushing rocks & roots.

To be clear, I'm not talking about not getting down stuff. I'm talking about letting the breaks go on steeper/faster stuff and realizing this surface brakes differently than what I'm used to. Not crying. Just asking for any thoughts.

Ft C. Dry & hard with thin thin layer of mini ball bearings on top.
    I run 38 PSI on a beat to hell 3c 2ply 2.5 DHF. Get more weight on your front tire in corners. Or alternatively, get used to that high speed double wheel drift until you lock it in at some point in the turn.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Take a long hard look at the Kenda Nevegal.
    And then regret wasting your brain glucose on a shitty tire.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    I run 38 PSI on a beat to hell 3c 2ply 2.5 DHF.

You rolling in the 350+ lbs camp these days?

That's absurdly high on a thick tire like that.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

38psi? I'd quit mt biking if I needed that kind of pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

I'm a lightweight, on a heavy bike. I hate pinch flats, and when I get down below 30 I can feel the sidewall flexing in corners. I need to build another front wheel up so I can run tubeless, then I'll go back to about 30-32.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

I'm a lightweight, on a heavy bike. I hate pinch flats, and when I get down around 30 I can feel the sidewall flexing in corners. I need to build another front wheel up so I can run tubeless, then I'll go back to about 30-32.
    Wait. You're running 38psi in your FRONT tire?!?

Wild, man... wild.

I run 38 PSI on a beat to hell 3c 2ply 2.5 DHF.
    It would have been more believable if your advice was to bleach my asshole.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    It would have been more believable if your advice was to bleach my asshole.
    Whatever floats your boat man, I'm not the one complaining that I can't ride loose over hard. Watch out, I push about 40 PSI on a single ply rear DHF.

Whatever floats your boat man, I'm not the one complaining that I can't ride loose over hard. Watch out, I push about 40 PSI on a single ply rear DHF.
    Wait.

You have a dual-ply DHF on the front and a single-ply DHF on the back? Running more than 35psi in each?

You, sir, are some sort of Mountain Biking Jedi!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Wait.

You have a dual-ply DHF on the front and a single-ply DHF on the back? Running more than 35psi in each?

You, sir, are some sort of Mountain Biking Jedi!
    I know, I'm an animal. In reality I'm lazy and using up the couple tires I have lying around. You should have seen it when I had an HRII on the back that was wider than the DHF up front. That was weird.

Currently rocking some 2.8" 27.5 wtb trailblazers on a 35mm rim. They manage to fit with maybe 1/4" clearance on each side on a regular fox float fork. Any shop mags know what a 3.0" ranger measures out to compared to the trailblazer? Is trying to squeeze an extra 0.2" gonna work - I know WTB fits slimmer than what they actually measure.

Rangers will be too big. They look like a fatbike tire almost. I've ridden them and they are a very uninspiring tire.

Just picked up a Spesh GC 29x2.3 today to replace the worn to shit fast trax 2.2 that came on my bike. The GC should make a great snow/ice/wet techy tire for this winter. I already have the GC up front and like it as much as the DHF that was on my Honzo.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    Rangers will be too big. They look like a fatbike tire almost. I've ridden them and they are a very uninspiring tire.

Just picked up a Spesh GC 29x2.3 today to replace the worn to shit fast trax 2.2 that came on my bike. The GC should make a great snow/ice/wet techy tire for this winter. I already have the GC up front and like it as much as the DHF that was on my Honzo.
    When you wear those out let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    When you wear those out let me know.
    Will do thank you. Anything in 2.3 or 2.4 sub 750 gram with non schwalbe sidewalls?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    <snip> Anything in 2.3 or 2.4 sub 750 gram
    No. No. And FUCK no.

^^?? Too light to be durable? Personally I like a bit tougher but I'm sloppy and beat up sidewalls. Actually the tire that I'm thinking is about 2 ounces heavier than he asked for but it's worth that penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    No. No. And FUCK no.
    Yes. Run along now.

^^?? Too light to be durable? Personally I like a bit tougher but I'm sloppy and beat up sidewalls. Actually the tire that I'm thinking is about 2 ounces heavier than he asked for but it's worth that penalty.
    The GC's are 730 and feel great. I'll check out the deets on your line.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

750 is XC light. I’ve run some in that range recently and have struggled. It should be obvious from the weights, but in hand an EXO Ardent or SS is completely different than a same sized EXO DHF, DHR, or High Roller. There’s no magic compound. It comes down to material.

Speaking of Ardent, would not bang. Besides the flimsy sidewalks, you can’t lay them way over, and they don’t like to be pushed hard in corners. They don’t just let go like a Nevegal, which is probably not a good thing cause a couple of face plants might have motivated me to change them a lot sooner than I did. Incidentally, I think the Race is probably a slightly better tire than the regular. It has a small shoulder channel that the regular lacks.

Another incidentally, after a particularly messy flat, I broke down and got a Huck Norris for the rear. Too early for any conclusions, but I rode in pisgah for a few days with intentionally low pressures. I did partially rip a shoulder knob off the tire, which required two plugs and a shitload of rubber cement, but no pinch flats. Cautiously optimistic.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

My bike frame is only 875 grams. Yup under 2 pounds so I'm not interested in putting 2 pound tires on it. Where I ride is very rocky for the majority of it. Sharp rock in many areas and the GC is near mint in over 4 months of use. The fast trax sidewalls are done. in the same amount of time here. You can push the GC as hard as the DHF that I'm coming off of but the DHF weighs about a half pound more for one tire. No need to have that extra half pound for no reason.

Sidewalls too flimsy not to pinch the ever-living-shit out of it in 1/2 mile on the first ride. Unless there is absolutely no tread at all... then maybe you could get a decent-sidewall'd tire down to 750g.

But that's just me.

Anyone stretch a tire sidewall? I noticed my mountain king has a woble, but no visible damage. I wonder if it was a manufacturing issue or I fucked it up. Minions next.