Page 132 of 162 FirstFirst ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ... LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 4049
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I have an aggressor on the rear of one bike, a dissector on the rear of another, and have worn out a couple DHR II on other bikes. I agree with that comparison of the tires.

The dissector doesn't last long - side knobs undercut fairly quickly. I doubt I'd buy more of them after the one I have wears out. If I got them for free, I'd happily use them for rear tires, but the lifespan just isn't good enough for the price.

I like the aggressor, it's fast rolling, and I'm used to its cornering behavior - not locked in like a minion, but controllable looseness.

If it's a bike I'd expect to pedal uphill for most of its rides (vs shuttle), I'd pick the aggressor. If it's a bike that'll see more shuttle time, and less pedaling, I'd pick the DHR II.
    Thanks! Super helpful. I am squarely in the pedal up camp.

Curiously, is the dissector DC or 3C construction? If 3C, which flavor (maxxterra, etc.)?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

The dissector I have is a 3C, maxx Terra, Exo +, 2.4WT. Came with the bike - a Salsa Blackthorn.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    So had the dreaded maxxis exo plus failure

Bought a 2.6 magic Mary for the front cause that is what LBS had. I really like it. So what schwalbe 2.5 27.5 for the rear?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The new Nobby Nic is a great rear companion to the MM.
    Ran that combo for a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Dissector is like a half worn out DHR.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    With side knobs that wear out twice as fast as the dhr

For another data point, I've been on Kenda Pinners this Summer, 27.5 x 2.4". They come in regular and gummy tread, and trail and DH casings. Unfortunately you can only get the gummy tread with the DH casing, and that one is HEAVY AF. I love the grip, hate the weight. But the tires are legit. Better than Maxxis in the dry, worse in the damp/wet. I may try the trail on both F/R, and see how the front does. Trail in rear is great.

I am going to play around with some Maxxis EXO/EXO+ Maxxgrip in front, looking for Goldilocks tires.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    With side knobs that wear out twice as fast as the dhr
    Which version are you guys referencing? I'm wondering if the dissector in DC is (roughly) as durable as the aggressor in DC? I haven't cancelled my aggressor order but am interested in a comparison between the DC versions of both.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Which version are you guys referencing? I'm wondering if the dissector in DC is (roughly) as durable as the aggressor in DC? I haven't cancelled my aggressor order but am interested in a comparison between the DC versions of both.
    The only double compound option for the Dissector is with Exo casing (at least for 29er) which makes it a bit of a challenge to run in the rear. I might be as durable as the Aggressor as far as rubber wear but the sidewalls will tear open if you sit on your bike too hard.
    There's a MaxTerra Exo+ which isn't that much sturdier but if you want DD casing you're stuck with MaxGripp rubber and your tire will last 3 weeks.

I really wanted to like the Dissector but the lack of a DD casing dual compound made me look elsewhere.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

For another data point, I've been on Kenda Pinners this Summer, 27.5 x 2.4". They come in regular and gummy tread, and trail and DH casings. Unfortunately you can only get the gummy tread with the DH casing, and that one is HEAVY AF. I love the grip, hate the weight. But the tires are legit. Better than Maxxis in the dry, worse in the damp/wet. I may try the trail on both F/R, and see how the front does. Trail in rear is great.

I am going to play around with some Maxxis EXO/EXO+ Maxxgrip in front, looking for Goldilocks tires.
    My sources tell me a 29x2.4 tanwall pinner is coming in a trail casing.

I like the pinner as a front tire in the dry, but currently I'm back on Maxxis due to availability issues the last time I shopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    The only double compound option for the Dissector is with Exo casing (at least for 29er) which makes it a bit of a challenge to run in the rear. I might be as durable as the Aggressor as far as rubber wear but the sidewalls will tear open if you sit on your bike too hard.
    There's a MaxTerra Exo+ which isn't that much sturdier but if you want DD casing you're stuck with MaxGripp rubber and your tire will last 3 weeks.

I really wanted to like the Dissector but the lack of a DD casing dual compound made me look elsewhere.
    I realize that I'm alone in this but I can actually get away with running Exo casings on all my tires. I also run really low pressures - 19.5 up front and 21 out back - without inserts and without pinch flatting. All of this at a mere 195 pounds. I can't explain it. I definitely don't avoid rocky terrain but I also stay pretty close to the ground. All that to say - I may give the DC dissector a shot next year and see how it compares to the DC aggressor.

I realize that I'm alone in this but I can actually get away with running Exo casings on all my tires. I also run really low pressures - 19.5 up front and 21 out back - without inserts and without pinch flatting. All of this at a mere 195 pounds. I can't explain it. I definitely don't avoid rocky terrain but I also stay pretty close to the ground. All that to say - I may give the DC dissector a shot next year and see how it compares to the DC aggressor.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that your pump reads low.

Had a similar sized friend suggest the same.... and he was right, but at 20 psi his tire felt like a basketball

My new pump with a digital gauge reads a couple psi off from my topeak d2. But all the other d2s i've tried read the same and I just go by the number on those. Kind of annoying because I thought I'd be able to just use the pump but the number it reads seems to vary a bit. Sometimes it's like the same, sometimes like 4-5psi off in a mtb tire. And is it a step too far that I've considered looking up a tool/instrument calibration place to check my gauges?

Error 403.. does not compute.

Do you not mind your casing rolling laterally under you as you corner?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

SRAM calculator says for 195, riding XC, 2.5 tires on 30mm rims, 19F/20R, so Seth probably isn’t the only one getting away with it.

At 175 I’m running 23.5F/25.5R for 2.4/2.35 tires.

I don't have any issues with Exo tires either. I only have a couple Exo + because they came with the bike -- didn't seek them out. I'm at about 190#.

I have switched to using inserts in the rear tire of hardtails though, so I can ride them at a pressure I like. Been pretty happy with that so far -- used to have to use around 28# for the rear tire to prevent rim strikes, and that meant a harsh skittery ride without much traction in corners. Now can use around 24# (on the 2.3" tire HT) and around 22-23# (on the 2.6# tire HT).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Man... you guys are *definitely* riding different terrain that I do. I'd destroy those EXO tires out back (and probably rims) in about 8 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Man... you guys are *definitely* riding different terrain that I do. I'd destroy those EXO tires out back (and probably rims) in about 8 seconds.
    Can confirm. I live and ride in Missoula. I'm 200lbs + gear. Have a hardtail and a full suspension. Not hard on tires.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Then by all means I'd say go with the dual compound Dissector and you'll probably be real happy. I miss the durability of the dual compound Aggressor, that thing could be slid around every dirty turn in Park City and the Cottonwoods and skidded down all the steeps of the Wasatch for a full summer and still look fresher than a DHF installed mid-season.

I didn't flat Exo or Exo+ tires often because I was a lot more careful with line choice when running these tires. The few times I got a little too saucy and landed an ill-advised gap into pointy rocks I put major gashes in the fuckers. Going to DD (or the Specialized equivalent) allowed me to be as much of a line-choice hack as I want without concerns while running 23ish psi in the rear. That being said I'm going back to lighter casings in the front cause I get to pick where I put that wheel and even at 20psi I don't flat light casings. The DD feels overkills and makes the bike into even more of a pig...
    170ish lbs kitted for reference.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I'd bet dollars to donuts that your pump reads low.

Had a similar sized friend suggest the same.... and he was right, but at 20 psi his tire felt like a basketball
    Man! Go straight for the pressure gauge and not the scale?! Ouch! :-)

I inflate with my pump but actually set pressure with one of the Meiser AccuGages. I also have a Maxxis/Topeak SmartGauge D2s. I haven't pitted them against each other to see if there is much variance. To that end my approach has been that precision (i.e. using the same gauge each time and a set of pressures that work, read from that gauge) trumps accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Error 403.. does not compute.

Do you not mind your casing rolling laterally under you as you corner?
    This is a good question. Exo has really been all I've ever known. If I inflate much above these pressures I feel that I lose traction and the tire feels overly harsh. The tires don't feel overly squirrely at these pressures in corners.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    SRAM calculator says for 195, riding XC, 2.5 tires on 30mm rims, 19F/20R, so Seth probably isn’t the only one getting away with it.

At 175 I’m running 23.5F/25.5R for 2.4/2.35 tires.
    You are right on the money - 30mm rims and 2.5" Aggressors. I cringe at the "XC" but it might be accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I don't have any issues with Exo tires either. I only have a couple Exo + because they came with the bike -- didn't seek them out. I'm at about 190#.

I have switched to using inserts in the rear tire of hardtails though, so I can ride them at a pressure I like. Been pretty happy with that so far -- used to have to use around 28# for the rear tire to prevent rim strikes, and that meant a harsh skittery ride without much traction in corners. Now can use around 24# (on the 2.3" tire HT) and around 22-23# (on the 2.6# tire HT).
    My HT has 3" 29er tires. I run XR2s at about 15/18 psi but have run 13/16 at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Where do you ride?

I try to always have DD or DH for STRAAAVAAA runs on Apex/Longhorn/Maryland etc, there is no way you can haul ass on EXO’s at my weight (175) without them being horribly over-inflated.

In fact, now that I think about it, the only tire I roached this summer was a DD, on Apex, with Skrdshtles. So there you go.
    Last edited by rideit; 10-05-2022 at 11:43 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

You are right on the money - 30mm rims and 2.5" Aggressors. I cringe at the "XC" but it might be accurate.My HT has 3" 29er tires. I run XR2s at about 15/18 psi but have run 13/16 at times.Where do you ride?

Front Range, CO. Apex, Deer Creek, White Ranch eats EXO tires for breakfast.

New England riding exo+ dissector on the rear at 20psi. 170lb after lunch. have literally never flatted… trail, park, wherever. I also suck at bikes, so maybe I’m doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums