Page 1 of 162 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

What are you lot gonna be rolling this year?

I've been running Butchers front and back on Trail bike (6" travel FS bike) and really liking them.
    DHF front and back on the downhill bike.

Thinking about changing to High Rollers or Shortys on the DH bike this year. 60% dry rocks and roots and loose rocks. 40% wet, very very wet on same stuff. Wish I could run 2 wheelsets and swap out for different conditions, but ain't happening.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I just threw on a butcher up front and a slaughter in the rear. Probably the best combo for the variable PNW. Really stoked to see how they do in the summer!

Im gonna give some trail kings a go, 2.4 out front, 2.2 in back.

2.4 WT DHR II front, 2.35 minion SS rear. Its been a sick combo.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Minion DHR2 Front and Rear on the Fully (will move to a SS on the rear when it dries out)
    Minion DHR2 Front Minion SS Rear on the Hardtail.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I'm going with the black ones.

Either a DHF or the new Aggressor (flames sidewalls... fuck yea) up front and keep the HRII out back.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Bontrager SE5 front / Specialized Slaughter Grid rear on the AM bike

Specialized Butcher Control front / Specialized Ground Control rear on the 29er AM hardtail, because they're cheap, light and grip enough

DHR II front & rear setup tubeless
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Butcher/slaughter trailbike (might get a minion SS in the mix at some point)

G5 bontragers on the dh bike.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Minion DHF 2.5 WT on the front, Geax Goma 2.4" on the rear.... will probably put something else on the rear once the Goma wears out, but I had it in the garage and I really like it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    Im gonna give some trail kings a go, 2.4 out front, 2.2 in back.
    I love that combo, the fastest rolling trail bike tires that have real traction that I have found... only problem is you will wear out the sidewalls way before you wear out the tread, so at the end of there service life you get the random blow off when running tubeless... because of this I just tried switching to Schwalbe (Hans Dampf front, Nobby Nic rear) yesterday for a lap.... and they are so slow compared to the TK's that I took them off and went right back to the TK's

Same as I have for a few years now, CST BFT front and rear. >90% as good as DHFs for $15/ea.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-13-2016 at 12:57 PM.

2.35 Bontrager XR4s front and rear. SE4 up front if things get sloppy. Grip takes a high priority with our trails but when I venture elsewhere I wonder if I could get away with something a little faster in the rear.. xr3 or xr2 maybe.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    DHF/DHR on the DH bike.

DHF in the front with Icon in the rear on the trail bike. Looks like I am in the minority but I am starting to love rear tires with smaller knobs in loose dry to semi damp.

If it real sloppy I will put the DHF in the back and run a Shorty in the front. Shorty is awesome in slop or super blown out dry marble sized garbage gravel.

Got an assortment of minions and a shorty for the trail bike this season as well as a magic mary and rock razor.

Definitely interested in feeling out the rock razor and minion ss.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Got an assortment of minions and a shorty for the trail bike this season as well as a magic mary and rock razor.

Definitely interested in feeling out the rock razor and minion ss.
    The Minion SS is a killer dry tire. Definitely breaks free on steep climbs out of the saddle, over the front. If you stay balanced, it climbs very well. I think it has similar or better traction to an Ikon, but way better cornering traction.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Yeah, I was contemplating putting it on for this past weekend's race, but I haven't ridden anything like it before so didn't want to gamble on it. It turned out to be pretty dry and drifty in sections, I think it probably would have been a nice and fast tire. Gonna try and put some time on it this month to see how it feels.

Just now realizing that they make the Slaughter in a 26" for trail bikes.
    Certainly something new to think about.

Running 2.4" Vittoria Gomas right now that are a bit overkill for the back. Should be switching to the Double Down casing versions of the DHF in the front and Tomahawk in the back. Had High Roller II front and Slaughter read last summer for riding the dry stuff in JH and surroundings, and absolutely loved that combo. Psyched to try out the Minion SS later this summer.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Im running 'Maxis High Roller II in a 2.3 with 3C Maxx Terra, EXO sidewall and running tubeless.

A customer walks into my shop and asks for a 27.5 High Roller II, I have to ask 9 more questions to figure out what tire they actually want/need. So many choices, Maxxis offers 9 models of the Higher Roller II in 27.5:
    27.5 x 2.3 Foldable 3C/EXO/TR
    27.5 x 2.3 Foldable 2C/EXO/TR
    27.5 x 2.4 Foldable 3C/EXO/TR
    27.5 x 2.4 Foldable 2C/EXO/TR
    27.5 x 2.4 Foldable 1C/EXO
    27.5 x 2.4 Foldable 3C/DH/TR
    27.5 x 2.4 Wire 1C/DH
    27.5 x 2.4 Wire 3C/DH
    27.5 x 2.4 Wire ST/DH

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Just now realizing that they make the Slaughter in a 26" for trail bikes.
    Certainly something new to think about.
    I didn't realized this either, and I counted myself out sometime last year when I checked the website. Pound for pound, the value is pretty high. Their compounds are really nice!

You guys feel like there's an appreciable difference between the HRII and the DHF?

Front: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3x26 3C EXO TR
    Rear: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3x26 DC EXO TR

Tubeless on WTB rims. Harder compound in back, softer in front, same casing and tread. GREAT fast rolling combo with a very grippy front tire.

Maxxis is on sale at price point right now, you can get this exact combo for $90 shipped, think I paid $120. Might pick up a couple sets.

http://www.pricepoint.com/shop.axd/S...rds=minion+dhf
    http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Maxx...-TR-26x2-3.axd
    http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Maxx...-TR-26X2-3.axd

i'm also running the Butcher/Slaughter program
    great combo for New England
    crab in my shoe mouth