Page 90 of 165 FirstFirst ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 4107
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Anyone riding 29+ and have recommendations? Currently on the surly dirt wizards that came with the Krampus and they’re approaching the end of life. Also looking for a 29+ tire to do some late fall/winter riding with. On Vancouver island with the local trails primarily featuring dirt and plenty of roots with only a smattering of rideable rock.
    Maxxis is making the Rekon in 29x2.8 now. Also worth checking out the Terravail Coronado, which comes in 29x2.8 as well.
    Pretty sure Bontrager is still making a 29x3 XR4 too.

Unfortunately, there aren’t many options out there for 29+ tires. Hopefully the remaining options stick around for the foreseeable future, because 29+ is pretty damn fun.

Just put on the autumn shoes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1540.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	343055

Going to give the Assegai a go up front. Not off to a great start. First time in my life i couldnt get a tire setup with a hand pump, thankfully the compressor snapped it right into place.

IMO all that latex means I'm now running an exclusive 4C compound.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Vittoria has had 4c for a while now though, when I over-latex my Mazza next June I’m gonna be running 5c!!!!

But really, you know ... with a compressor you can wait to add latex AFTER the thing is snapped in place. I’ve never put latex in until I was sure the thing was sealed and holding air. Do you not have a cheapo $5 syringe with flexible hose, and a valve core tool???

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

That photo is gonna give me nightmares

So I'll beat a dead horse here since #noonecares and #fuckspecialized and all that ...

But for shoulder season riding on clay-mix soils (clay-loam and clay-silt/sand in Western Oregon), I keep loving how the Specialized Butcher handles on moist but firm, softish, wet slick on hard, semi-greasy on semi-firm conditions we get during shoulder seasons. Running 29 x 2.6 (35mm IW) on the hardtail both front and back, it has a small sweet spot for PSI as below 23 psi feels slow and not totally supportive through corners (but good grip) and above 26 psi has great support and roll but sacrifices some wet grip. Running like 24F/26R or 23F/25R seems to hit the sweet spot - not draggy, awesome awesome bite when leaned over, predictable braking drift and drift/snap cornering in the back. It does bite wet soft clay much better than most tires though so rear drifts have to be forced more than on other rear tires I've used in these conditions. There's a minor bit of a soft zone on the 2.6 but it really doesn't feel like a "dead zone" at all, more like when you are in it you think you're at the traction limit - and then if you lean and push even harder you get a microslide then a solid bite with way more traction.

For my Bronson I'm gonna run 27.5 x 2.6F and 2.3R Butcher Grid for the rest of shoulder season, and see if that combo works as well as 2.6F/R on my hardtail.
    When it's true winter here come late November I'm gonna run my hardtail with 29 x 2.6 Hillbilly Grid Front and 2.6 Butcher Grid rear and the Bronson will stay in the basement.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    Going to give the Assegai a go up front. Not off to a great start. First time in my life i couldnt get a tire setup with a hand pump, thankfully the compressor snapped it right into place.

IMO all that latex means I'm now running an exclusive 4C compound.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I always like to seat the tire with no sealant and just soapy water first (if needed), helps avoid the mess of sealant everywhere. Then I inject the sealant in through the valve, or drop a small section of the bead and pour it in.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post

But really, you know ... with a compressor you can wait to add latex AFTER the thing is snapped in place. I’ve never put latex in until I was sure the thing was sealed and holding air. Do you not have a cheapo $5 syringe with flexible hose, and a valve core tool???
    I've never needed the compressor so I usually just rely on the sealant to help the bead slide into place when I hit with my floor pump. Dozens and dozens of similar maxxis tires on these wheels and this is literally the first time I've spilled sealant more than a thimble of sealant. I don't keep a compressor in the garage, used on-board air my truck to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    I always like to seat the tire with no sealant and just soapy water first (if needed), helps avoid the mess of sealant everywhere. Then I inject the sealant in through the valve, or drop a small section of the bead and pour it in.
    Yep - this has been my method. I've been fortunate to have *mostly* tires that have mounted up super-easily. Though there was that one WTB... that fucking blew right off the rim during the "drop a small section of the bead" and inflate to seat. God that was a fucking mess.

I’ve spilled so much fucking Stans on so many floors convincing myself the tire will set up easy on the first go. Fuck that. Blast that shit open without sealan first, seat the bead with a crack, pull core, add sealant, reinflate, bounce it around like a basketball. Every time.
    Getting the Airshot Inflator made it way easier than breaking out the air compressor. Adding the Ryobi 18v inflator you the mix made it even easier.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    I've never needed the compressor so I usually just rely on the sealant to help the bead slide into place when I hit with my floor pump. Dozens and dozens of similar maxxis tires on these wheels and this is literally the first time I've spilled sealant more than a thimble of sealant. I don't keep a compressor in the garage, used on-board air my truck to get the job done.
    I'm not here to poke fun, but I got my assegai to seat up with a floor pump, sealant in..... with that fracture in my shoulder! :P

But... now, I've jinxed doing it the same way you do the last 10 times...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yep - this has been my method. I've been fortunate to have *mostly* tires that have mounted up super-easily. Though there was that one WTB... that fucking blew right off the rim during the "drop a small section of the bead" and inflate to seat. God that was a fucking mess.
    I wish I’d saved some forum photos from 10-15 years ago when tubeless was Stan’s and DIY ghetto. I remember seeing some epic explosions.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I wish I’d saved some forum photos from 10-15 years ago when tubeless was Stan’s and DIY ghetto. I remember seeing some epic explosions.
    I don't need photos; I still have spots of dried latex all over the ceiling of my shop! But yeah, we've come a long way from ghetto.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Anyone riding 29+ and have recommendations? Currently on the surly dirt wizards that came with the Krampus and they’re approaching the end of life. Also looking for a 29+ tire to do some late fall/winter riding with. On Vancouver island with the local trails primarily featuring dirt and plenty of roots with only a smattering of rideable rock.

I just picked up a 29x3 DHRII for the front of my fatbike/plus hardtail. Is nice. Only experience with the Dirt Wizard was an older 26x2.6 version that was not great. Obviously it's heavy and not super fast, but my one ride on it so far left me with a good impression. 27.5x2.8 Magic Mary on the back.

More tire than I want on the daily driver bike, but for a bike like this it's perfect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1260.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	913.2 KB 
ID:	343357
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Anyone have any time on the new Specialized tires yet? If the T9 compound is legitimately Maxx-Grip soft, the Grid Trail versions will be nice options for those looking for light, soft rubber tires.

The brand new Hillbilly and Butcher fires I got yesterday aren’t marked T9 ... and I’ve never used MaxxGrip, so I won’t be able to help ya there ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Specialized: Ok, we came out with some good tires, let's fuck them up!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Specialized old rubber feels a lot like MaxxTerra to me. Something stickier up front would be a nice option.

Just squeezing tread blocks with my fingers, Spesh Gripton is without question firmer overall durometer than MaxTerra.

But I dunno if its the siping, the block design or the difference in polymer chemistry - Gripton grips actual soil really damn well. I can’t really say much about grip on roots or rocks relative to 3C MT because I don’t have trails here with copious challenging smooth wet or dust on top of roots/rocks to have a clear sense of difference in performance.

I am curious how T9 Gripton performs relative to regular Gripton.

Hopefully I’ve been pretty clear about the conditions under which I like the Butcher so much more than the MT DHF: wet clay-mix soils, mixed loose, and loose deep (dry or wet).

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

The older Gripton was pretty terrible on wet roots. Hoping they've improved it.

I finally got a MG Assegai EXO+, and it is sweet. But I'm looking ahead to rain finally starting, so pondering what my wet season setup will be, and whether I should order a Shorty or Hillbilly before they sell out. Usually I just run whatever wide spaced tread I have around (last year: Wild Enduro Front, year before: Magic Mary), but I know guys in my area tend to like running a Shorty or Hillbilly, at least until we get a 2 week dry spell then they start bitching about rolling resistance. I tried a Hillbilly 2.6 last year for 1 ride and ditched it because it was huge, a legit 2.6+, and felt like a plus tire. Local dirt is a mix of decomposed granite & clay, very few rocks and roots.

So, is a specialized mid-spike like the Shorty really worth running if you aren't in the PNWet or Yurp? Or stick with a regular wider spaced enduro tread setup like MM/BB, Wild Enduros, etc.? I also noticed there's no MG / EXO version of the Shorty - just MT. I'm assuming that's still softer than whatever rubber Spec is currently selling.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

I recently stuck a Shorty SuperTacky on the front of my DH bike and it was insane. The grip was so good I went from feeling like I suck to playing around all over the trail. Didn’t feel at all squirmy pushing it into fast turns on hard pack either. Trade off is that it’s noticeably slower. My winter bike park option is all about steep sketchy traction rather than rolling resistance though. Speed is about staying in control for the next few months.

Last edited by jm2e; 11-22-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Anyone want a Dissector 2.6, 29”, EXO+?
    Brand new, yellow label in packaging, $60.00?
    Split the shipping?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    The older Gripton was pretty terrible on wet roots. Hoping they've improved it.
    Still pretty terrible on wet roots! At least on the Butcher tread blocks. And again, this is not T9, just the regular Gripton ordered brand new a couple months ago.
    Hillbilly regular Gripton not so bad, but I suspect the Shorty or Dirty Dan may bite a little better on those (wet roots).

Now I'm realizing that my winter bike should be running Hillbilly front and back to deal with the roots better, or like Shorty front Hillbilly rear. Then swap over to Butcher/Butcher for shoulder and summer use. I'm addicted to the cheap price and light weight on that Spesh stuff, and it really does work so well for clay-mix soils ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Confucius said wet root does not always equal wet root