Page 108 of 165 FirstFirst ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 4125
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    What's your dirt / terrain like?

Maxxis does poorly on the rolling resistances tests; tires from other companies with taller knobs (e.g. Racing Ray) still seem to be faster.

I'm running 2.35 Nobby Nick's F/R on downcountry set-up and 2.35 Racing Ralph / Thunder Burt in Marathon-mode.

Vittoria Agarro could be a tire with better grip that retains some rolling speed.
    Intended terrain is dry rocky & slightly dusty. Sawtooths, bitterroots, etc.

Interesting. Will check those out

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Need a stickier front for my down-country 29. Currently 2.4 dissector. I'm finding rolling resistance data for the ikon race and a few others, they all seem to be 31ish watts @ 25psi. Anyone know of an efficient xc tire with more grip/aggressive tread in the shoulders? Tempted to run something slower like the DHF I have on my other bikes...
    Tioga Edge 22. 2.5 x 29 or 27.5
    Tioga Glide G3 in the rear.

Really dig these on the east side of the cascades. Dry and dusty over hard, sometimes rocky. Compound is sticky, supple casing, rolls well but would not categorize it as an XC tire, would be good for “downcountry” though.

I've got a 2018 Rocky Altitude that came with Minion tires (2.5 front and 2.4 rear) - looking for something a little faster rolling for XC type riding day to day with short mellow ish techy rock bits (yes, new bike probably needed to fit that role...but, lets keep it on tires) - so am looking at the Maxxis Rekon for front and rear that comes in 2.4 width. thoughts?

People spend so much time splitting hairs on rolling resistance and grip between similar treads. But rubber compound plays as big or bigger role.
    If you want something that has better traction than your DHF MaxxTerra, try rocking a DHF MaxxGrip.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    People spend so much time splitting hairs on rolling resistance and grip between similar treads. But rubber compound plays as big or bigger role.
    If you want something that has better traction than your DHF MaxxTerra, try rocking a DHF MaxxGrip.

This.

Also, how much you lean the bike and how you get your tail end around can help determine what pairing you are running.

Big channel on the back tire can help you swing the rear end of that new super low and long enduro sled you got around the tight stuff... so long as you lean that beast over and let it drift around.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Been running Terra DHF for 7 or so years. Tried a Grip DHF and my rocky local trails chewed it up. Was sort of hoping Maxxis would have improved it by now, if possible.

^^ ditto ^^
    I chewed through a DHR Grip in like 500 miles/3 months...

It was sick on rock wall rides; stuck like glue!

Put new tires on the other day, Hei Hei is starting to feel a little more like an XC bike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210506_202741834_HDR.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	374194

Still heavy but I'm going to try racing it this week. It'll be interesting to see how my lap times compare to previous years.

Also big note to self: barzo is not a DHF.
    Last edited by jamal; 05-10-2021 at 05:26 PM.

After noodling around with Exo, Exo +, Air Liners, Huck Norris, etc etc, I finally surrendered to the flow(chart) and got some DoubleDown DHRIIs. But I got MaxxTerra as that is what the shop had and "wet" anything isn't really something we have here in Tahoe Land of MoonDust.

First ride review from last night - why the fuck did I wait so long. They feel so supportive and yet grippy, holy crap. Like skiing metal-layup skis for the first time.

Might toss a Huck in there for additional rim protection, but damn I don't feel like I need the sidewall support at all - These things Stand Tall. Muito obrigado for the reality check!

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Here's your flowchart:

1) Are you an adult that rides bikes on trails with rocks, and appreciates when the bike goes around a corner?
    Maxxis Double Down (if you're sorta fast) or Downhill Casing (if you're actually fast or actually fat), 3C Maxxgrip compound, 2.5" DHF in front, 2.4" DHR2 in the rear. Feel free to substitute an Assegai in the front if you want.

2) Are you going to be annoyed if your tires don't last most of the season?
    Same answer as #1, except go with 3C Maxxterra compound.

3) Are you the kind of person that's going to bitch constantly about rolling resistance and annoy everyone else on the group ride?
    See #2, but put an Aggressor on the rear. You're still gonna be slow though.

4) Are you the kind of person that slowly rides around rocks instead of getting rad?
    See #3, except get Exo casing.

5) Do you race XC and care about your result?
    Same answer as #4, plus you need to stop caring about your result.

6) Are you the kind of person that wants to "try something different" because everyone rides Maxxis?
    Same answer as #1. Get over it.
    sproing!

Am I imagining things, or is it actually possible that I'm getting less tire wear with MaxxGrip compared to the usual MaxxTerra? I've been running a MG Assegai up front for about 6 months now, and it's barely now showing a little wear. I started running a MG Dissector about a month ago, and it's just beginning to show a little bit of feathering on the center knobs. Last year when I ran a MT Dissector, the center knobs were heavily abraded in a month. Conditions are the same: Norcal dust over hardpacked sandy clay, no rocks. I feel like I'm braking less with the MG because it grips the hardpack better.

EXO+ up front, DD rear FWIW.

Anyone have experience with the Teravail Kessel? I've spent three seasons running Rekons, then switched to a Teravail Ehline Rear and Honcho front. That was a decent compromise. Really wanted to size down from 2.6 and was going to run the same combo, but couldn't find the ehline in 29 x 2.4 so ended up with a kessel.

Very much looks like a DHF.

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    Been running Terra DHF for 7 or so years. Tried a Grip DHF and my rocky local trails chewed it up. Was sort of hoping Maxxis would have improved it by now, if possible.
    That's kinda how they work... That's how all soft tires give you more traction, part of that equation is leaving it on the trail.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

What's your dirt / terrain like?

Maxxis does poorly on the rolling resistances tests; tires from other companies with taller knobs (e.g. Racing Ray) still seem to be faster.

I'm running 2.35 Nobby Nick's F/R on downcountry set-up and 2.35 Racing Ralph / Thunder Burt in Marathon-mode.

Vittoria Agarro could be a tire with better grip that retains some rolling speed.
    I realize the revised nobby Nics are a much better tire, and I’m open to trying them, but from what I can find the actual weight of the trail casing Evo 2.35 x 29 is 1100 g. For my trailduro bike I have a lot of good choices (ie Maxxis) in that range. For my 120 travel so called Marathon / DC bike I’m targeting 900 g up front.

Did you weigh your NNs?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I realize the revised nobby Nics are a much better tire, and I’m open to trying them, but from what I can find the actual weight of the trail casing Evo 2.35 x 29 is 1100 g. For my trailduro bike I have a lot of good choices (ie Maxxis) in that range. For my 120 travel so called Marathon / DC bike I’m targeting 900 g up front.

Did you weigh your NNs?
    I've got one in front of me, 1010 g for a 27.5x2.35 Super Trail NN.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Am I imagining things, or is it actually possible that I'm getting less tire wear with MaxxGrip compared to the usual MaxxTerra? I've been running a MG Assegai up front for about 6 months now, and it's barely now showing a little wear. I started running a MG Dissector about a month ago, and it's just beginning to show a little bit of feathering on the center knobs. Last year when I ran a MT Dissector, the center knobs were heavily abraded in a month. Conditions are the same: Norcal dust over hardpacked sandy clay, no rocks. I feel like I'm braking less with the MG because it grips the hardpack better.

EXO+ up front, DD rear FWIW.
    I've found the Assegai to wear really well and be pretty durable in all compounds, especially in the front but also in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

Did you weigh your NNs?
    Why don't you go SuperGround?

Given the weight is similar (890g), It seems the protection will be as well compared to grippier Maxxis (E.g. Exo Dissector or DHF).
    Better grip than than the *potentially* more durable Exo+ Rekon, but rolling at least as well.

Why don't you go SuperGround?

Given the weight is similar (890g), It seems the protection will be as well compared to grippier Maxxis (E.g. Exo Dissector or DHF).
    Better grip than than the *potentially* more durable Exo+ Rekon, but rolling at least as well.
    Sorry for any confusion. I didn’t capitalize trail. The SuperGround is what most brands would call their ‘trail’ casing. And yes that’s the one I’d get if available.

I guess TrailGround has a touch better pinch flat protection at bead but I don’t need that for front.

It goes
    Super-
    race
    ground
    trail
    gravity
    downhill

super race being the flimsiest version of the xc tires and tanwall only. superground is the next lightest casing, xc tires and nobby nics come in that, the bigger tires like magic mary and hans dampf start at super trail.

I have a 29x2.35 super ground racing ralph and am waiting for a racing ray to match it. Kinda heavy for an xc tire at 770g. And inconsistent, I weighed a different one and it was over 820. Listed weight is 750.

listed weights for a 29x2.35 nobby nic are
    ground: 890
    trail: 1045

I took off my performance/tr/addix 2.25 nobby nic off and stuck it on the scale, came out to 806. I think the racing ralphs in the same casing/size were around 775g so not much difference there.

I generally liked the nobby nic up front on my hardtail and then on the back of the hei hei with a dhf, but not sure what i'd use one for now given how heavy it is.
    Last edited by jamal; 05-19-2021 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    It goes
    Super-
    race
    ground
    trail
    gravity
    downhill
    Anyone have enough experience of Schwalbe's the new Super___ casings to be able to compare them to Maxxis? Spec weights put SuperTrail between Maxxis EXO and DoubleDown, and the new SuperGravity between Maxxis DoubleDown and DH. Does the ride match the weight?

Schwalbe's skus are fucking ridiculous.
    Everyone's are, but they are the worst.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I just said this on Pinkbike. The one thing I notice the most from going from Maxxis to Schwalbe is that the casing ride quality is better on Schwalbe. Feels damp and supportive. I haven't tried the Super Trail yet but have thousands of miles on the Super Gravity tires in all the tread patterns. I was off them for a year due to availability but happy to be back on.

But the Durability!!...blah blah blah....I go through tires too much to care about keeping them for years. Same goes for moto tires ride them hard and toss when you don't get amazing traction anymore.

The Super Trails are actually heavier than DD in some cases (DHR vs. BB).

Ive got big betty soft compounds super gravity front /super downhill rear . 6-700 miles on the rear and ive list some tread depth but they work well. Soft is somewhere between a maxgrip and maxterra in wear, and i think grip. Wet ride yesterday and i had the rear aired down a bit and still good support and great grip. I do notice the weight. Mostly on the front and thats comparing a super gravity 2.6 from a michelin dh34(dh casing thats heavier than a maxxis dh). Couple days to get fully used to the weight. Great traction and support. Pretty good in the corners. I think the 2.6 front would benefit from a 35mm inner rim. I might trim 2-3 mm off the widest center knobs too , and open the channel. Without a 2.6 dh34 this 2.6 bb gravity will be great in the loose steep for the eeb.
    I popped the 2.4 super dh on a 27.5/ 26inner rim and another on a 27.5/35mm inner rim "super" ez and no problems with it holding air. The 2.6 s gravity was a major pita to get on a 29/30mm inner(same brand/model as the 35mm inner rim). I was expecting it to be much easier with a lighter casing(albeit still heavy/burly). That front aint coming off.
    Thought i might want a "ultra soft" compound, instead of the "soft", front tire but it hasnt been a chore yet. Dry days coming so rock slabs will tell the tail soon. Good luck finding the ultra soft in a dh/gravity casing 29 atm anyway.
    Next to try is the vee rubber flow snap and the new specialized butcher t9 front/?rear t7/t9 blend

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Yeah, the Schwalbes seem pretty heavy. How is the durability/puncture resistance of Super Trail compared to Double Down? Super Gravity is getting up there in weight, for sure.

Havent tried the super trails. Super gravity has more support/protection than a DD.
    Id say dhf dd 1150g - dh34 bike park casing 1200g - super gravity 1300g . Weight equals the extra pro in all those cases ive tried recently. Super gravity feels close to a maxxis dh casing so maybe super trail is dd ish

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app