Page 124 of 165 FirstFirst ... 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 4116
    Which ones? The arogotel looks like a good option for the muddy load I like to ride out here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I've got a set of the new Contis on the way to replace my hammered-out Butcher/Slaughter combo.

Thanks for the advice in this thread. Once I've got some miles on them I'll post my shitty review.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    My new bike last year came with assegai, 2.5 front and back. So far I’ve been happy with them. Came from DHF/DHR on the last bike. Many variables have changed from old bike to new bike but the assegais seem to have better traction and I’m more comfortable leaning the bike in corners. Im slow uphill regardless of tire. I’m able to carry more speed this year but that could be 27.5 to 29 or Chris King hubs to I9 hubs. I’ll keep the tires until they are worn and see what’s out there when it’s time to replace.
    Maybe your trails have a lot of climbs wirth loose gravel and loose rocks? In that case, a knobby rear tire would help. And you might be better at riding than me. Good chance.
    Here in the immediate Missoula area, we mostly have dry hardpack, some loose-over-hard, and some more hardpack over hardpack. I saw a rock once. (Ok, I'm exaggerating on that last sentence. A little.)
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Which ones? The arogotel looks like a good option for the muddy load I like to ride out here.
    Kryptotal front, Xynotal rear. Trail casing, endurance compound. Going on my do it all trail bike.

I'm in Utah, so it's either hardpack or sandy/dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Kryptotal front, Xynotal rear. Trail casing, endurance compound. Going on my do it all trail bike.

I'm in Utah, so it's either hardpack or sandy/dusty.

This is the combo I've got on my Propain Hugene now (Kryptotal rear on the front, though)... will report back after two weeks in Sun Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    I did quite a bit of back to back testing of the DHF and Assegai as a front tire last season, and ended up preferring the DHF. Theres no doubt that the Assegai has some more grip, and more grip at shallow lean angles. But I felt like the transitional knobs of the Assegai did not allow me to easily lean the bike over that far. Like you would hit the transition knobs and it did not really want to lean much further than that. The DHF seem more versatile in the sense that I could hit all lean angles much easier, and get it to lean over further more comfortably.

This year going to also try some Hutchinson Griffus 2.5/2.4 trail casing with Tubolight Evo HD inserts. Will be interesting to see have that setup works!
    Concur with the above. Also noticed squirm from the Assegai on steeper, chundery braking. The DHF knobs seem to flex a bit less and were more predictable. You could feel the Assegai knobs flex which lead to the tire feeling vague / skipping until it hooked up again.

Maybe your trails have a lot of climbs wirth loose gravel and loose rocks? In that case, a knobby rear tire would help. And you might be better at riding than me. Good chance.
    Here in the immediate Missoula area, we mostly have dry hardpack, some loose-over-hard, and some more hardpack over hardpack. I saw a rock once. (Ok, I'm exaggerating on that last sentence. A little.)
    Ha. Doubtful on me being a better rider. Typical NE trails, a bit of everything. Roots, lots of roots. A couple of regular places are really sandy. Bit of mud here and there as well. Not a lot of loose rock, but plenty of rocky climbs.

Hard to know if it’s the tires or the bike. Went from V1 Bronson to V2 Ripmo. Assagais are 2.5 front and rear run at 19-21 psi on 35mm rims. I suspect it’s a combo.

Planning on doing the BC Bike Race in September on my Ripmo.

Any thoughts on tire choice for the Okanogan in Sept? I want to reduce the weight and rolling resistance of the stock Assagais - but not have a blow out every 10k.

Advice greatly appreciated.

My racing ray/ralph combo has been decent. The super trail casing isn't as light as I'd like but it's put up with some pretty sharp rocks. Other downside is they're expensive. I switched back to vittorias because they're lighter and faster (and cheaper). Mezcals and Barzos are both good- mezcal for more speed, barzo for more grip in wetter and looser conditions, or do a f/r mix). The tanwalls are pretty flimsy but the grey "xc-trail" have held up well. I would say both the vittorias and schwalbes are more durable than a 120tpi exo casing maxxis xc tire.

So yeah we had rain in the forecast and I took off my flimsy kendas for mezcals, also threw in a tubolight rear insert. Went in easily enough. Then I wound up not even racing this weekend because of how busy I was on the organization side of things. Also it was really wet and muddy.

To the dude asking about 2.6 and 2.4 Mazza

2.4 then 2.6. 2.6 trail is 1030 grams btw. It's bigger but those outside the center grooves are smaller as the center groove is wider. Hopefully photo shows that.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    To the dude asking about 2.6 and 2.4 Mazza

2.4 then 2.6. 2.6 trail is 1030 grams btw. It's bigger but those outside the center grooves are smaller as the center groove is wider. Hopefully photo shows that.
    Get this man some calipers!

That's perfect thank you!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Planning on doing the BC Bike Race in September on my Ripmo.

Any thoughts on tire choice for the Okanogan in Sept? I want to reduce the weight and rolling resistance of the stock Assagais - but not have a blow out every 10k.

Advice greatly appreciated.
    I would think that some light-ish xc-ish treads with lighter duty inserts would be the ticket for that race. Not based on first hand experience with the race though.

I guess it also depends on whether your priority is semi competitive racing, or just finishing. If the latter, whatever the fast rolling double down tread of your choice is. Exo+ in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    He works in a construction related industry, he doesn't even know what the itty bitty lines on the tape measure are for.

Need a tire recommendation. I was running 2.25” Vittoria Mezcals on my rigid titanium bike in SLC and they were perfect for the conditions (dry, dust, etc) but now we’re back in Maine and it’s a lot wetter / rootier / leafier / pine needles etc.

Anything with a similar idea (fast XC type tire for a monstercross kind of setup that won’t be painful in the city) that’ll do a little better with the damp? I can run up to 29x3.0 but that seems pretty silly. I probably ride 40% paved, 30% gravel, 30% mellow dirt. It’s also flat as shit here.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Need a tire recommendation. I was running 2.25” Vittoria Mezcals on my rigid titanium bike in SLC and they were perfect for the conditions (dry, dust, etc) but now we’re back in Maine and it’s a lot wetter / rootier / leafier / pine needles etc.

Anything with a similar idea (fast XC type tire for a monstercross kind of setup that won’t be painful in the city) that’ll do a little better with the damp? I can run up to 29x3.0 but that seems pretty silly. I probably ride 40% paved, 30% gravel, 30% mellow dirt. It’s also flat as shit here.
    For that much pavement, maybe something like the Rene Herse Fleecer Ridge? It’s a bike packing/gravel tire in 29x2.2.

Otherwise what’s keeping you from continuing to use the Mezcals? They come in 2.35 and 2.6 width if you’re just wanting more cush than your 2.25. I really like the 4C compound on Vittorias. The Barzo is a knobblier option that’s also fast rolling, and the Saguaro is marketed as “all conditions”- just slightly more aggressive than the Mezcal.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Construction guy calipers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220618_084940.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	571.4 KB 
ID:	419193

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post

If you like your Mezcals but are looking for a bit more, check out Vittoria’s Syerra. They’re still fast rolling XC tires, but are a step up in traction, especially cornering.

Vittoria Serra looks a lot like the Maxxis Rekon, which I like a lot as a rear tire on the East Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Construction guy calipers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220618_084940.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	571.4 KB 
ID:	419193
    Name:  ED44972A-55D6-49B7-B553-17F5A590AE44.gif
Views: 458
Size:  492.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    If you like your Mezcals but are looking for a bit more, check out Vittoria’s Syerra. They’re still fast rolling XC tires, but are a step up in traction, especially cornering.
    thanks all. guess I should’ve said why I’m considering swapping the mezcals, which is they don’t seem to do so hot in the wet. and they seem to be pretty bad shedding mud (which I try to avoid but it is coastal new england) I’ll check out what folks have recommended here. the pavement is generally only ridden to get to the non-pavement, so it’s not a focal point of riding but I don’t wanna drag like DHFs or whatever around on it.

What kenda model is most like a DHR2 DC or 3C Maxxterra? TIA

Pinner ATC

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Just changed out rear high roller II for a DHR. Looks more grippy for my trail rides and mostly single track with not a lot of vert.

DHF and DHR so let’s see

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Good job with the pics, thanks.

Might just go back to Maxxis in the future. As much as I want a front tire that's pronounced like my favorite kind of balls, and a rear tire that shares the family name of a chick who's contact info I sent along to a friend who he then promptly knocked up, the 2.6 Mazza doesn't inspire me. Looks like it's designed for a lot of loose stuff and mud, and wouldn't be the best tire for my riding. But then again, the 2.4 might be great. Bike tires give me Decision Paralysis.
    Ps, my goddaughter's name is Ava.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

My wife had a gear breakthrough today (she knows nothing about bike gear, but has been riding for 25 years). She asked “If the rubber on my tires were softer, would I not deflect so much off of rocks?”

I was very proud.
    But did explain the downsides to maxxgrip,(etc). durability and drag. She’s an engineer, she got it right away.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident