Page 85 of 166 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 4149
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    You’d have to run 75psi to keep those knuckles from dragging.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I have the 2.3 (not WT) on a 30mm internal rim on a hardtail. Corners great, braking is poor. It's dry and dusty, loose, rocky, for most of my riding. No mud, no idea on wet traction.
    Thanks, I may buy one and see how it goes. Its been unusually dry where I ride.

I ordered two dhf 2.3 to replace my front dhf 2.3 and rear 2.35 magic marry. Looking at my current 2.3 DHF it looks considerably smaller than the magic marry. When it gets wet I go pretty low on my tire pressure so the roots don't take me for a ride. That's 15ish psi. I weight 150. My rims are 35.I got a really good deal on the DHFs. Should I just re-order the DHF in 2.5 and try to sell the 2.3 or the 2.3 are pretty much as good?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I ordered two dhf 2.3 to replace my front dhf 2.3 and rear 2.35 magic marry. Looking at my current 2.3 DHF it looks considerably smaller than the magic marry. When it gets wet I go pretty low on my tire pressure so the roots don't take me for a ride. That's 15ish psi. I weight 150. My rims are 35.I got a really good deal on the DHFs. Should I just re-order the DHF in 2.5 and try to sell the 2.3 or the 2.3 are pretty much as good?

What width rim are they going on?

Edit: I cant read.

Last edited by slowroastin; 09-28-2020 at 05:41 PM.

2.3 dhf on a 35 mm rim is pushing it.

I think a 2.3 dhf works fine in the rear, but I always run a 2.5 in the front.

^^his post says "35". Maxxis 2.5 is only slightly wider than a mm 2.3. 2.3 dhf is a little narrow for a 35mm inner rim. Not a big deal though. Id be more concerned about a 2.3 width maxxis and whether or not it has the traction i want for my bike/trails/usage

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

vs your magic mary, the 2.5 DHF is going to have a considerable drift zone without intermediate knobs. The channels are narrower on the 2.3 so the drift zone is less notable. Some people like the bigger drift zone, and it is predictable. But Magic Mary riders may not.

I used to run nothing but DHF, then muddy/magic marys, and now I'm back to DHF (2.4WT)

You have 35mm why not get a 2.4WT?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I don't see any dhf in 2.4 27.5.

With my current 2.3 front dhf and 2.35 magic marry I am very pleased, heck downright surprised how well I am hacking my way down Seymore runs like severed dick, cunt buster and pangor after a week of rain. But, I wouldn't know any better. All my previous riding has been flowy neutered xc runs. Dunno if drifting is what I want right now. I guess I need a tire quiver to experiment.

Maxxis Dissector 2.4 3C MT ... rear tire application paired with Butcher Grid 2.6 up front, 30mm IW rims.

I think I totally misapplied the Dissector. I know it’s marketed specifically as a dry tire that supposedly can do okay in wet ... I was hoping to use it as a shoulder season complement to a mid-summer Aggressor. Probably totally wrong, because on my local soils and trails in wet and moist conditions I think the Aggressor I pulled off would have done better!

Conditions over my 3 days of riding with the Dissector were:
    -rain riding on silty clay
    -hours after rain on wet fir needles over medium-soft clay, and then greasy slick top over hard packed clay
    -moist fir needles, pine cones, and downed branches and long stretches of clean moist loam

The Dissector’s transition from locked to sliding was instant and uncontrollable on the moist or wet hard packed clay, especially if any fir needles were on top and or I overbraked and locked the tire. It was a very fast tire to ride, until I was on the ground. I was only able to recover unplanned drifts on the silty clay stuff, not the hard clay with wet grease surface. These are hard conditions for any tire, but I wasn’t even thinking about sketch traction up front at all at any point. (Side note for PNW residents- I keep singing praises about the 2.6 Butcher for our trails here - it’s totally intuitive and I don’t even think about it when riding in any conditions. I’m also so light that I don’t notice too much squirm from those tall blocks, and the relative weight also makes it not seem slower than faster rolling alternatives.)

Then on the moist loam I wasn’t sure I liked the feel of the tire as much as I do the Aggressor, especially when trying to surf the center treads sideways over the soil surface before getting the cornering knobs locked in. It wasn’t bad at all in these conditions - I just felt I like the feel of the Aggressor a bit more.

I think I’m gonna pull the Dissector off right now and drop a Butcher Grid Trail 2.3 back there for fall and spring shoulder seasons ... then next summer see if I like the Dissector or Aggressor better when our trails are dry.

I also grabbed a Vittoria Mazza 2.4 to compare to the 2.3 DHF for front tire for dry conditions around here. I’m betting I’ll be pretty pleased with the Mazza/Dissector combo in the summer, and wonder how I’ll like it versus DHF/Aggressor.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Okay Mich fans, if I pop a Wild Enduro Rear 2.4 on there, do you think it will be unbalanced and over bite compared to the Butcher Grid 2.6 front?

I think the Butcher 2.6 has more cornering traction than the DHF 3C MT. It’s definitely got taller knobs and feels slower and squirmier than the DHF ... anyone ever run a DHF / WER combo?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I hate the DHF, so haven't run it with a WER. I've never tried a Butcher, but looking at photos of it, the side knobs look a lot shorter than WER, and it's got a rounder profile. WER after like 1 or 2 rides is drifty when you want in a controlled manner until you lay it over, then it bites. It rolls a lot faster than you'd expect given the side knobs. It measures a true 2.4" on a 30mm internal rim. In Minion terms, I'd say it rolls a tad faster than a DHR (although it's heavier than EXO), drifts easier, but grips harder on off-camber.

Thanks, that’s what I was afraid of -
    That it would outbite and not pair well with my Butcher.

Based on your WER description it actually does sound like what I’d like for shoulder seasons around here - so I think next Fall I’ll probably roll with WEF/WER, but for now try the Butcher 2.6/2.3 combo.

On my winter bike hardtail I may try 2.6 Hillbilly or 2.5 Shorty up front and then see how the Butcher 2.6 pairs out back.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    <snip> although it's heavier than EXO
    Yeah - 'cause it has a carcass that isn't made of onion-skin.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Thanks, that’s what I was afraid of -
    That it would outbite and not pair well with my Butcher.

Based on your WER description it actually does sound like what I’d like for shoulder seasons around here - so I think next Fall I’ll probably roll with WEF/WER, but for now try the Butcher 2.6/2.3 combo.

On my winter bike hardtail I may try 2.6 Hillbilly or 2.5 Shorty up front and then see how the Butcher 2.6 pairs out back.
    I really, really like WER for the few rainy months we get. It sheds mud really well. You can run a WEF both front and rear for that (just get the Gum-X for the rear, Magi-X for the front).

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I really, really like WER for the few rainy months we get. It sheds mud really well. You can run a WEF both front and rear for that (just get the Gum-X for the rear, Magi-X for the front).
    Where's here? What counts as wet, and how the soil responds obviously varies a lot regionally, but I found the WE (both front and rear) to work MUCH better in the dry here in Western WA.

He’s in Bay Area / NorCal - pretty dry all year then the clay and clay loam soils there clog hard under massive winter rains. Some serpentine and limestone chunder here and there.

I’m in Willamette Valley - silty calcium rich clay on the west side and rich legendary loam on the east side. Almost as much rain as you Western WA folks - probably a handful more sunny days.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

What Schralph said. We get all our rain for a year over a span of like 3 months Dec-Mar. I grew up in Seattle... the rain is really different here. No half-assed drizzle for days on end. It comes down in sheets for several hours then stops for a few days until the next front rolls in. The mud is like peanut butter. Shortys and Hillbillys are the most common winter tire in my town to shed the glop. MM works OK too but can still clog up. Basically anything with tall spikes and wide spacing.

I don't see any dhf in 2.4 27.5.

With my current 2.3 front dhf and 2.35 magic marry I am very pleased, heck downright surprised how well I am hacking my way down Seymore runs like severed dick, cunt buster and pangor after a week of rain. But, I wouldn't know any better. All my previous riding has been flowy neutered xc runs. Dunno if drifting is what I want right now. I guess I need a tire quiver to experiment.

My bad I was crossing it with the DHR2 in my head. There is a DHR2 2.4WT and its great.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I guess I need a tire quiver to experiment.
    Seriously! It would be super rad for a local shop to set up seasonal tire demo day events with lots of 30mm wheelsets and brake alignment guides to make transfers fast. $60 for all day tire swaps and then you get back $25 off $75 in tire/other shop purchases or $60 off $175 of purchases. I have no way of knowing if these numbers would make it worthwhile for the shop, but if they got Maxxis/Schwalbe/Spesh/Trek to sponsor the event with tires and then use their demo bike wheelset fleet, it could be pretty cool to pull off. Late Spring moist, early summer hero, Midsummer dry, Fall moist events each roughly 7-8 weeks apart from March through October.

Would also be a quick way to confirm tire clearance for your fork and frame.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I think there's something up with Maxxis' EXO casings these days.... I know ScaredShtles has hated them for a while, but it seems like there is an inordinate amount of flats with them in the last 6-8 months. Not just from guys here, but with my riding buddies, clients, etc. I think they're making the tires lighter and shittier. Especially the new tires like the Aggressor and Dissector.

I moved over to Continental (Baron Front, TKII rear) a couple of weeks ago and they're way better than the DHF/Aggressor I used to run. Now we'll see about durability over the coming weeks/months.
    Elaborate on "better". Would love to find something that rolled faster than my DHF/Aggressor combo with the same cornering grip.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I haven’t used a Baron but it has a pretty open design and looks like it bites and clears loose and wet crud pretty well. I’ve run a TK2.4 rear and it’s pretty fast rolling tire with decent climbing grip, good braking grip that locks up pretty well when cornering, also clears gunk and crud, but it’s got kind of a funny feel - like it *only* wants to climb hard, brake hard, or rail a corner hard but nothing in between. I don’t enjoy coasting on that tire, sometimes it feels bumpy as the paddle blocks come around each pattern cycle. I’ve also found it doesn’t have the best lateral grip when upright but like I said it locks up pretty confidently when on edge. It’s hard to describe the feel until you’ve ridden one - and I much prefer the Aggressor feel to this one. It’s almost like an early 2000’s Ford Mustang GT with passenger and rear seats removed, race springs and race tires - on paper the performance numbers are good but it still drives like a cheap Mustang.

I suspect this Mazza / Dissector combo I’m waiting until next summer to mount up is gonna be faster than the DHF / Aggressor combo in dry conditions with equivalent cornering prowess, but we’ll see about that! And feel. Because now I realize that I’m getting picky about how a tire feels under my hands and feet.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I wanted to try a dissector on the front of my hei hei, but everyone was out so I got a DHF. No real complaints with that other than I notice the disparity between front and rear grip. A lighter DHF with just slightly shorter knobs might be cool as an "aggressive XC front tire"

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    A lighter DHF with just slightly shorter knobs might be cool as an "aggressive XC front tire"
    Forekaster

Just run an Aggressor front and back ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Would love to find something that rolled faster than my DHF/Aggressor combo with the same cornering grip.
    You pretty much nailed it. They're also lighter overall. Can't comment on durability just yet, although I did nail a few rocks pretty hard on Doctor Park last weekend with no problems.

Schralph, were you on the new Trail King II? I like it as a rear tire over the Aggressor and Dissector... but I'm also not the most analytical. Maybe it's just the Baron/TKII combo I like better than the Maxxis setup.