Page 104 of 167 FirstFirst ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 4158
    These tires look like they fuck. They should make them in big sizes too.
    Guess there's terravale.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210410_214911.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	371151
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

They look like theyd work. Obviously the semi slick is not going to last as long but both look very purpose built, especially if the rubber is right

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

It smells like good rubber? The AT is the softer race compound, the SS is the harder plus. For riding in the Missoula area, it should be perfect.
    No longer stuck.

I was running the new Schwalbe Big Betty’s in 29x2.4 in the Super Trail casing with the soft compound since last September and I liked them. The bikes suspension felt great, the ride quality was good, and I swear the bike is more quiet with them.

But they were over 1200 grams each and in sections of trail that require pumping to maintain speed and momentum they felt like I was stuck in quicksand.

Last week I put DHR2’s back on. EXO Maxx Grip front and EXO+ Maxx Terra rear. Shaved a full pound off the bike and they feel noticeably faster and sharper in their handling. I love trying new tires and generally always end up back on DHR2s

“The bigger the waistband the deeper the quicksand... or so I have read” -David St. Hubbins

Yeah, that was my impression of the new Schwalbes. They don't ride any worse than a DHR, but they're heavy as shit, even compared to DD. I couldn't see the point.

I got a good ride on the DD MG Dissector, deliberately riding some steep & loose stuff. I would have been sliding around on a DHR (DD MT), so no real negative in that regard, and they hooked up nicely on berms, and pedaled a bit better. I kind of expected this from using them for a month or two last spring, so the main question mark for me remains how fast they wear out. I'm definitely liking the DD casing better than the EXO I previously used - those things had to be run at least 3psi higher and still were squirmy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    One downside of Vittoria pushing the knobs closer together is that the tire will wind up being square and shitty if used on too wide of rims. I would aim for 25mm rims = 2.4 Mazza, and 30mm rims = 2.6(more like 2.5) Mazza.
    Interesting ... my 2.4 is going on a 30mm rim with 28mm inner width at the bead hooks ... we’ll see how they feel! Might not be pushing this bike very hard or fast this summer anyways ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Mounted up the e13's. It was difficult. They aired up with a floor pump. They have a very loud and satisfying pop when the bead seats. They are mounted on Flows.
    The AT 2.4 is definitely smaller and more square than the DHF 2.5 WT. I was aiming for that, though. It looks like it was designed with 25 to 30mm ID rims in mind and the Maxxis looked more like it was designed with 30 to 35mm ID rims in mind. I was having trouble finding the cornering nobs and feeling locked in on the turn. Good possibility that is pilot error too. Next to the DHF 2.3 on skinny rims, the AT 2.4 doesn't look much bigger at all. Quite a bit more square, but practically the same size. There is less of a channel between the center knobs and shoulder knobs. We'll see what that means in any loose stuff, but for me, I like that there seems to be very little transition zone and you can get right up on the side knobs. There are no intermediate kobs, so I don't foresee a lack of grip.
    The 2.35 SS seems a little rounder, but barely. It has distinct rows of small square knobs which should give it better traction than the tightly packed, ramped knobs of the Minion SS. The side knobs are smaller and more widely spaced to compensate for the lack of knob height up the center.
    The front is race compound, the rear is plus. The casing is pretty stiff, so I may lose some cushion, but oh well.
    Should have an initial ride report soon.
    About the rider: I suck at some things, but I'm getting better. Getting used to the more forward position of the GG. I am slow uphill, but not too slow at all downhill. The idea of drifting, especially in the front is absolutely terrifying to me. I don't like it. I want to be locked in in the turn.
    No longer stuck.

Here are some pics. The silver branding matches the bike really well tooClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20210411_181125.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	371232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210411_181047.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	371233
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Also building a spur. I'm going dhf front, aggressor rear, because everytime I put lesser tires on a bike I just kinda hate it. As a minor compromise, I think I'll make the front dhf a 2.3.
    Fair. I'll probably end up with whatever the shop happens to have in Exo anyway. Demo'd a bike with an Aggressor in the front and hated it, still think I could maybe get away with a Dissector as a front, but I've never ridden one and it's probably not worth the risk when I have a decent idea of what front tires make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Fair. I'll probably end up with whatever the shop happens to have in Exo anyway. Demo'd a bike with an Aggressor in the front and hated it, still think I could maybe get away with a Dissector as a front, but I've never ridden one and it's probably not worth the risk when I have a decent idea of what front tires make me happy.
    I've only tried the Dissector in the rear, but the side knobs got undercut badly and in very short order. It might hold up better on the front of a more XC-y bike, but I didn't think it rolled enough faster than a DHR2 to justify the loss in performance / durability on a big bike. FWIW.

Hey all, I spun through the thread and picked out some pearls, but thought I'd ask my specific question. I ride an Ibis HD3 and usually run a DHF 2.5 up front, Aggressor 2.5 in the rear.

Am racing one xc race this summer on relatively smooth trails (1 lap at Pierres Hole), so the cheapest way to lose some weight/add some speed looks like a new set of tires. Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Hey all, I spun through the thread and picked out some pearls, but thought I'd ask my specific question. I ride an Ibis HD3 and usually run a DHF 2.5 up front, Aggressor 2.5 in the rear.

Am racing one xc race this summer on relatively smooth trails (1 lap at Pierres Hole), so the cheapest way to lose some weight/add some speed looks like a new set of tires. Any recommendations?

Embrace the fact that an hd3 isn't an xc bike and save yourself $150 worth of tires that are unfun.

Or ignore that and buy some Ikons.

Embrace the fact that an hd3 isn't an xc bike and save yourself $150 worth of tires that are unfun.

Or ignore that and buy some Ikons.
    Ikons?!? You're a cruel, cruel man.

Ikon’t believe he suggested those.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Just put a rigid fork on your HD3. You'll save a few pounds and the big tires will feel great.

Lol just kidding. Just get some EXO or Snakeskin 2.25 version of tires that you normally like to run. 800 grams is the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Ikons?!? You're a cruel, cruel man.
    You're probably right. If he's gonna make the hd3 into a competitive xc machine, should probably just go with Receptors.

You're probably right. If she's gonna make the hd3 into a competitive xc machine, should probably just go with Receptors.
    FIFY. She

I think Kabush runs aspen exo's for stage races, bc bike race etc. They seem reasonable for that type of thing on the ibis. Tires then ul wheels could be a good option to have at times

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    FIFY. She
    Derp. Yeah, I knew that.

Sorry homemade!

For your entertainment, a classically clueless MTBR thread on 500 gram tires.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/why-can...#post-15276649

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ikon’t believe he suggested those.
    to be fair he has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to XC tires.

I've been digging the recon race but have been thinking about trying some Mezcal's but I only know slightly more.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Derp. Yeah, I knew that.

Sorry homemade!
    For once there's a female bike geek.... heh. Ikons, seriously?

Two years ago I podiumed at same race on same bike and only locked out the shock. Now there's a 60+ category and I'm actually going to train.

Kick some Blue-Grass, HMS!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Kick some Blue-Grass, HMS!
    Haha you know I just arrived in Nashville. And I'm thinking about mountain biking. Siiiick! Are you home yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    to be fair he has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to XC tires.
    My point was more that this is like asking which skimo race bindings will work best on spatulas.

The answer is: it doesn't matter. They all suck.