Page 83 of 167 FirstFirst ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 4158
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    <snip> I was doing a lot of group rides back then. With the Minions I had to ride the brakes to stay with the pack coming back to town. With the Michelins I had to pedal to keep up. Who cares about the road, right? I LOVED them on the trail, but that experience really drove home how much more I was working on approach rides
    This is excellent news! I'm gonna start blaming the tires for being last. 'Cause I'm always last.

Anyone have a recommendation for a tire <900 grams-ish, 29", and ~2.5 in width? I tried the Bontrager XR4 and the grip and rolling resistance was great, but I pinch flatted them twice in under 10 rides (running tubeless and hit rocks at speed, sealant couldn't seal the hole). Considering just bumping up to the SE4, which has a burlier casing, but curious to see if anyone else has "trail" tires they like.

Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation for a tire <900 grams-ish, 29", and ~2.5 in width? I tried the Bontrager XR4 and the grip and rolling resistance was great, but I pinch flatted them twice in under 10 rides (running tubeless and hit rocks at speed, sealant couldn't seal the hole). Considering just bumping up to the SE4, which has a burlier casing, but curious to see if anyone else has "trail" tires they like.
    Black ones with knobs.

Hans Dampf has worked great for me in this category. Had one pair of XR4's, they lasted a couple rides. 2.35 HD measures out to 2.5" on a 35mm rim.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Hans Dampf has worked great for me in this category. Had one pair of XR4's, they lasted a couple rides. 2.35 HD measures out to 2.5" on a 35mm rim.
    Which casing and compound do you use?

The SE casing is much tougher if you don't want to go down the rabbit hole of what other tires to consider.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Which casing and compound do you use?
    Snakeskin. Running soft front and back right now, mostly cause I found them on sale for $35. Usually I go soft up front and the faster rolling on the back, but not sure I really notice the difference.

Arn't all the Bontrager tires pretty light casing wise.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have repaired such a puncture successfully with a proper tube patch and gorilla tape on the inside of the tire. Clean with acetone. Worked on my rowdy bike for another 400 miles.
    Well, upon inspection, the nail also tore into a bit of the bead. So that tire is essentially done.

Nail also went through the rim, so I think its a new wheel set I need.

I've put in a few mellow ales on the wheel and tire as is, but I think I'm about to spend a few hundred. Ugh. Only six months on that wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Arn't all the Bontrager tires pretty light casing wise.

Well, upon inspection, the nail also tore into a bit of the bead. So that tire is essentially done.

Nail also went through the rim, so I think its a new wheel set I need.

I've put in a few mellow ales on the wheel and tire as is, but I think I'm about to spend a few hundred. Ugh. Only six months on that wheel.
    I pooched a realitively new rim getting a little too enthusiastic with my moto tire lever. Im a full on hack mechanic. Fix the inside wall crack with some epoxy and its shows no signs of wear a year later. I'm guessing i screwed my rim up more than a nail/spike hole. Seals up well tubeless as well. Worked a charm

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

It is a pretty good sized hole through the rim. About a centimeter. Close to a spoke hole. And there is a dent on the side of the rim closest to the hub. I'll take a picture of it this afternoon when I get the wheel back off. Have a family ride planned for today that connects two roads, so worse case scenario, my family dives around to pick me up so I don't have to walk too far if it all explodes. But highly doubt it will be an issue this ride. Unless I left a burr inside there.

I flipped the rim strip, so the holes do not line up, blew out the tire to clear any debris and put a fresh tube in. It held overnight. Got to take a quick run 1/4 mile down to the LBS to check on options, then family ride.

I was planning on pulling the tire this afternoon, drilling out the hole to get. regular shape, checking for cracks and trying to fill with JB Weld without making too big of a mess. And then wait 24 hours for a cure, make sure it is smooth, replace rim strip and mount back up with a tube. If I get my hands on some rubber cement, which seems to be out of stock at every bike and car store in the county, I'll patch up the tire and see if I can set it up tubeless.

Still, it might become a back up wheel. Might be able to get a free SX gear set, and would then just need to find a rotor to upgrade to and put the old one on the old wheel. And then mount with a semi slick for when I'm going camping with the family near some gravel roads.

I guess my concern is the rim snapping while raging down stuff that most people don't use hardtails on. Or my powerful legs torquing it during a climb and snapping it in two.

Long shot here, but have any of you pushed both a Dissector 2.4 and 2.6 to their limits? Curious if they have different personalities (like the DHF 2.5 vs. 2.6). Talking about rear use here on a bigger bike.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I have been riding a 27.5 x 2.4 exo max terra on a small knolly warden. It has been an awesome tire, rode it for 2 months w 2 plugs and i just put a fresh one on. Rolls fast, breaks well and corners great. I admittedly have a harder time QB’n back tires compared to front tires, but it has been awesome out here in ID. I highly recommend you try one if the casing (exo) works for you. FWIW

Current sale on Virrotia through their site. 25% off and free shipping. Code VITTORIATDF25. I'm not sure what's still in stock.

How does that Mazza compare to the DHF?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

And how delicate is that TNT casing? I’m tempted to try it since my weight and terrain aren’t so rough on tires ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    And how delicate is that TNT casing? I’m tempted to try it since my weight and terrain aren’t so rough on tires ...
    I've run TNT Mezcal's 29x2.25 on the rear of my SS (hardtail) for years, and only suffered one cut in the tread. None in the sidewall, and we've got lots 'o rocks here in Los Alamos. And I'm at 200 lbs. You could probably get away with the TNT; up front for sure. I was hoping for a Mazza in TLR 27.5x2.6 for my park bike at that sale price, but alas, "coming soon."

Cool I ordered a 27.5 2.4 TNT Mazza to run as a midseason substitute for my 2.3 3C MaxTerra EXO DHF up front. Will probably run in combo with Aggressor next summer, but maybe Dissector or that cheapass Forte Pisgah 2 I ordered as a backup tire for the rear.

Just about to mount up 2.6 Butcher Grid up front and 2.4 3C MT Dissector rear (I couldn't find any DCs) for shoulder season riding - the tire treads look nicely compatible (off the bike) so far ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Do Rock'R2s get wider after they stretch/settle into a rim? I mounted one up last night, and it's only 2.28" wide on 30mm internal rims. It did feel REALLY stiff prior to mounting, and looked like it'd been sitting in a warehouse for years, so maybe it just needs some time.

Put it out in the sun overinflated for the afternoon. Might help. Might not.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Thats kind of strange. It should be really close to a 2.5 dhf width. Definitely wider than 2.4 dhr2

Yeah, my Wild Enduros are well over 2.4", and I'd heard that the Rock'R2 is even wider. It just looks so small in comparison right now. I'll give it a ride tomorrow and see if it loosens up.

Wait. Is it an older Wild Rock'R2 or a newer Rock'R2 Enduro?

I bought three of the newer ones recently and I *swear* the sidewalls feel/appear less substantial than the older Wild Rock'R2's.

Which would be completely appropriate give that it's Michelin.

So maybe the width is also different between the old and the new?

Fucking Michelin.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Wait. Is it an older Wild Rock'R2 or a newer Rock'R2 Enduro?

I bought three of the newer ones recently and I *swear* the sidewalls feel/appear less substantial than the older Wild Rock'R2's.

Which would be completely appropriate give that it's Michelin.

So maybe the width is also different between the old and the new?

Fucking Michelin.
    Uh. Might be the older one. Description from Cambria: "Michelin Wild Rock'R2 Advanced Reinforced Tubeless Ready - Black / 29" - 2.35" / TR - Tubeless Ready". Did I fuck up?

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Uh. Might be the older one. Description from Cambria: "Michelin Wild Rock'R2 Advanced Reinforced Tubeless Ready - Black / 29" - 2.35" / TR - Tubeless Ready". Did I fuck up?
    I don't think so - the old one, which you appear to have ordered, is a known quantity and I *believe* the one grinch is comparing to the Maxxis WRT to tread width.

Thought maybe you got some of the "new" ones... but doesn't sound like it.

The "new" ones I bought actually are labeled on the sidewall "Rock'R2 Enduro Front"

Looking at the site after skared said they were being discontued , sure enough all i found was something called "wild rock'r" no mention of a "rockr2". Michelin are fucked. Theyre like shimano for communication. They operate in their own little bubble. "Wild rock'r" is listed as a 26 x 2.4 in the trail category
    https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/b...k-r-reinforced
    Why would they cancel a good tire that they already havs molds for and sell out constantly at chainreaction? I just mounted the remaining 27.5 x 2.35 magicX on a 35mm inner rim(from my emtb that i also use on my meta 29 to mullet it) and its ez to notice its wider than a maxxis 2.4. It's wide on there and its been great in the blown out deep moon dust steeps. I ordered a 29 × 2.35 one the end of last summer and switched back and forth between that and a 29 x 2.4 dh34 bike park as well. Its the same width as my 27.5 rockr2. 34 bike park casing is a bit stiffer. Might be the wire bead in the 34 that does that.A friend was just going to order some. Did you order from chainreaction?