Page 74 of 167 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 4157
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Do you guys notice any difference in grip between a DHF in DC vs 3C compound, in rocky / loose / dusty terrain?
    On rock slabs, definitely, especially if we're talking 3C MaxxGrip (instead of MaxxTerra). Much less so in dusty, loose dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    On rock slabs, definitely, especially if we're talking 3C MaxxGrip (instead of MaxxTerra). Much less so in dusty, loose dirt.
    Thanks. I should have specified - in all likelihood, MaxxTerra compound for my anticipated use.

My usual riding conditions are dry, dusty, small to medium loose rocks, occasional sand. Rarely hero dirt with tackiness. Almost never mud, no slippery roots.

Just curious, as I've seen DC compound DHFs for a good bit less than 3C.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Thanks. I should have specified - in all likelihood, MaxxTerra compound for my anticipated use.

My usual riding conditions are dry, dusty, small to medium loose rocks, occasional sand. Rarely hero dirt with tackiness. Almost never mud, no slippery roots.

Just curious, as I've seen DC compound DHFs for a good bit less than 3C.
    I'm not saying it'll make no difference, but it'll make less of a difference then.

Broadly speaking, I think sticky rubber helps the most when whatever surface you're riding on is solid and not moving around on you. Doubly so if it's solid and slippery (e.g. wet roots). In loose dirt, where the trail surface is moving around under the tire, it doesn't help as much.

Thanks. Makes sense.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Just picked up a Maxxis Assagai 27.5 x 2.5WT to mount on my front 29mm ID rims. I went for the 3C MaxxTerra EXO+ 1050g.
    I am mating it to a rear Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5 x 2.3 3C MaxxTerra EXO 805g.

I was running the 2.3 DHF on the front with a 2.3 High Roller II on the rear. The High Roller was showing some wear so I thought I'd try a bit more beef on the front.
    DHF measures out at 58mm or 2.28". The new 2.5WT measures at 61mm or 2.4". The "WT" looks like it is the proper shape on my 29id rims, the side knobs look like they are where they should be and carcass does not show a lightbulb shape.
    I'll report back how they roll and how they hook up.

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    I think I'll give it a try if there's a chance it rolls a little better than the DHF or DHR2. Weight is very close between the Mazza 2.4 and DHR2 2.4 exo+
    It looks good. Comes in a 2.6 as well. If you havent ordered it yet, and youre planning on ordering off of vittoria's site, try setting up an account and putti g it in your cart and don't finish your order. I heard they'll send you a 10% off to finish your order. Might take a day

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to give the 2.4 a try. I'll follow up with my thoughts after a few rides.

Well, I'm coming to the same conclusion as earlier this spring: the lifespan of a Dissector here is measured in weeks, not months. Here's a photo after 10 rides & ~20,000 ft.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200711_190250.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	961.8 KB 
ID:	334540

It's just too soft for the knob spacing and height.

^^^ The Dissector looks kind of like my rear tire, a Duro Switch I got for cheap awhile ago. It's wearing out, but has held up better than expected.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Well, I'm coming to the same conclusion as earlier this spring: the lifespan of a Dissector here is measured in weeks, not months. Here's a photo after 10 rides & ~20,000 ft.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200711_190250.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	961.8 KB 
ID:	334540

It's just too soft for the knob spacing and height.
    Looks pretty apparent that’s pretty much from braking wear, doesn’t it? Climbing ramps not really worn, inner edges of cornering knobs still look good, just the trailing edges of the paddle and center knobs? And trailing edges of cornering knobs as well, so are you also braking a lot while cornering?

On a related note ...

I was studying my worn DHF and it’s pretty apparent (to me) that I’m right handed. The insides of the left side cornering knobs are slightly more worn than the right side. Left turns means strong weighting with the right elbow, which is stronger, so I can push the knobs more. Right turns I have a weak left elbow so I don’t push as hard and feather my body weight more delicately up onto the left elbow and a softer hip turn ... so the right side knobs don’t get as much lateral pressure.

Similar but more subtle differences on cornering knobs on my Aggressor our back.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

^CSI bike tires
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Thoughts on the 2.6 nobby nic as a front tire? In the sticky whatever’s Schwalbe uses?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

DHRII + Dissector so far seem pretty impressive combo, rolls faster. I'm going to have to get used to the rounder tire profile vs the E13 TRS (square as they come)
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Looks pretty apparent that’s pretty much from braking wear, doesn’t it? Climbing ramps not really worn, inner edges of cornering knobs still look good, just the trailing edges of the paddle and center knobs? And trailing edges of cornering knobs as well, so are you also braking a lot while cornering?
    Yeah, I brake a lot (too much). I noticed how there's more chunks off the right side knobs, which is also my more awkward corner. I can think of a few steep right hand switchbacks that I ride a lot where I'm dragging brakes.
    My point was more that the Michelin Wild Enduro Rear seemed to hold up a lot better. I think it lasted about 3x as long before it had this much wear.

Mind = blown: https://www.retyre.co/

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Quite an interesting concept. I just can't see it holding up for mtb, but for commuting I see a lot of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I would like that for my 5.10 shoes please.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Yeah, I brake a lot (too much). I noticed how there's more chunks off the right side knobs, which is also my more awkward corner. I can think of a few steep right hand switchbacks that I ride a lot where I'm dragging brakes.
    My point was more that the Michelin Wild Enduro Rear seemed to hold up a lot better. I think it lasted about 3x as long before it had this much wear.
    Btw I wasn’t trying to criticize (believe me I’m not a great rider) - just the former engineer in me talking, trying to analyze what happened with your tire and why it didn’t work. So the bigger point is that for YOUR riding and YOUR terrain you need a tire that has a more heavily crosslinked / slower wearing compound to handle aggressive breaking wear. Especially given the center knob height, as you pointed out.

Was that the dual compound tire you posted or a 3C variation? BTW, it looks like Maxxis now has part numbers on all the compounds on their website - I’m seeing the 3C Maxxgrip DH, 3C Maxxgrip DD, and 3C Maxxterra EXO and EXO+ options all listed in addition to the dual compound.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

No offense taken. It's the 3C EXO (with CC). I was thinking the same thing that I need harder rubber in the rear for summer time here. The interesting thing to me is why they didn't offer 2C right off the bat, since they did that for the Aggressor (similar target audience / conditions), and summer conditions in Oz look to be just as dusty and hard as they are here in NorCal. I guess soft quick wearing trendy new tire is like printing money.

More likely it’s the way to get bike industry media buzz more quickly, than putting out the practical version first!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Btw I wasn’t trying to criticize (believe me I’m not a great rider) - just the former engineer in me talking, trying to analyze what happened with your tire and why it didn’t work. So the bigger point is that for YOUR riding and YOUR terrain you need a tire that has a more heavily crosslinked / slower wearing compound to handle aggressive breaking wear. Especially given the center knob height, as you pointed out.

Was that the dual compound tire you posted or a 3C variation? BTW, it looks like Maxxis now has part numbers on all the compounds on their website - I’m seeing the 3C Maxxgrip DH, 3C Maxxgrip DD, and 3C Maxxterra EXO and EXO+ options all listed in addition to the dual compound.
    Being about to imminently upgrade my tires and eyeing the Dissector specifically (and the Minion for the rear), what compound should I aim for if I am wanting the most resistance to aggressive braking wear? Because I'm gonna need that one

The Dual Compound is slower wearing and much firmer durometer overall than the 3C, even in the center blocks, but I’ve never tried running Dual Compound up front, nor have I tried the Dissector yet - so I don’t know if you’ll be sacrificing too much cornering grip running Dissector DC up there in SLC conditions. Anyone else care to chime in on that?

That said Dissector DC front is probably still worlds better than that junk you previously posted! By my analogy, Dissector DC is probably more like running a Nokian WRG4 tire in winter, vs Dissector or DHF 3C being more like running Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 / Hakkapeliitta 8.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I’ve been running a Dissector 3C F/R for the past year. Got a DC on the way for the rear this weekend. I’ll let you know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Being about to imminently upgrade my tires and eyeing the Dissector specifically (and the Minion for the rear), what compound should I aim for if I am wanting the most resistance to aggressive braking wear? Because I'm gonna need that one
    I use the minion DHF exo casing and exo aggressor on rear. I brake hard and ride it hard I like that setup and it’s been good for me up north

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Tire casing and tread compounds are independent choices ... and I couldn’t tell you off the top of my head whether the same compounds on a thinner or thicker casing will be more susceptible or resistant to knob wear. I’m sure someone somewhere has done FEA analysis and/or empirical testing ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell