Page 21 of 164 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    <snip> DHR2 MaxxTerra has to grip/brake better in the wet than HR2 single compound right?
    Couldn't really get much worse.

So how's the DHF on wet roots?

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    No idea. Nothing is ever wet here.

Fine for climbing. Downhill / at speed IME nothing is good on wet roots and it's all about technique / line choice and not sliding at an angle on them.

Well my trails have sloped roots all over. Sometimes it even goes between two trees that are handle bar apart, with angled roots in between. The Conti blackchilly sticks no issues. Sidewall is vague but damn the rubber is grippy.

Well my trails have sloped roots all over. Sometimes it even goes between two trees that are handle bar apart, with angled roots in between. The Conti blackchilly sticks no issues. Sidewall is vague but damn the rubber is grippy.
    The better conti tires are about as good on wet roots as it gets, I think. And I think it has more to do with the high tpi casing than the rubber compound. The downside is the casings fail with regularity.

I'd say a maxxgrip dhf in an exo casing is substantially better than average on wet roots, but not class leading by any means.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anybody ridden a Vittoria Morsa? Rode an Aggressor last season in the back, which worked pretty well, but the cornering knobs were not as aggro as I would have liked. Kind of thinking the Morsa or Trail Boss would be comparable mid-tread options that roll fast.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I just sent you a few messages about the morsa. They roll fast but do not grip. I couldn't get the TNT casing to work for me, either get grip and flat a ton, or run high pressure and have some fun skittery turns.

The cornering knobs are much smaller in person than you'd think.

WTB Riddler has generous cornering knobs. Fast-rolling and grippy center tread. Can also run it in the front (that's how nice the cornering knobs are). Would ride that over a Trail Boss or Morsa.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    Anybody ridden a Vittoria Morsa? Rode an Aggressor last season in the back, which worked pretty well, but the cornering knobs were not as aggro as I would have liked. Kind of thinking the Morsa or Trail Boss would be comparable mid-tread options that roll fast.

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post
    WTB Riddler has generous cornering knobs. Fast-rolling and grippy center tread. Can also run it in the front (that's how nice the cornering knobs are). Would ride that over a Trail Boss or Morsa.
    The semi slicks are my jam generally but I have found I need more knobs in the middle for the climbs out east. Is it much different than the rock razor/minion SS?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TGR Forums mobile app
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

The semi slicks are my jam generally but I have found I need more knobs in the middle for the climbs out east. Is it much different than the rock razor/minion SS?

Curious which Rock Razor you used. I ran both the pacestar and trailstar versions in the fall and the trailstar was noticeably grippier and worked really well even once things got leafy...though fore/aft balance was critical at times to manage traction. Or a Bontrager XR3 or XR4 (depending how much grip you require) is a solid all-rounder for the east coast.

I may try out the Onza Aquila in a folding bead when it comes out mid summer. Doubt I could tell the difference between it and a DHF, but may give it a shot. Looks promising.

Real ballers run a MaxxGrip or Super Tacky 42a DHF in the front.

Yeah it's gotta be 60a I guess? They don't publish durometer on the HR2 single compound it seems.

DHF WT MaxxGrip arrives tomorrow. Yay. Debated grabbing a 27.5x2.4 WT DHR2 MaxxTerra for the rear but I will give the HR2 a shot... and just avoid riding any wet rock/wood that requires anything other than straight line braking haha. DHR2 MaxxTerra has to grip/brake better in the wet than HR2 single compound right?
    Pick up that DHR2 MaxxTerra when you get a chance, it's definitely the way to go with a MaxxGrip front.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Curious which Rock Razor you used. I ran both the pacestar and trailstar versions in the fall and the trailstar was noticeably grippier and worked really well even once things got leafy...though fore/aft balance was critical at times to manage traction. Or a Bontrager XR3 or XR4 (depending how much grip you require) is a solid all-rounder for the east coast.
    Not sure... pretty sure it was the Pacestar? I would almost consider going back to that tire -- it was noticeably better than the Minion SS I first was rolling when I came back east -- but it was almost the need to be super precise with the fore/aft balance that made me want to get on a meatier center tread. I tend to climb out of the saddle around here unless it's super smooth and not steep (seemingly rare), and so it's nice to have something I don't have to be conciously trying to weight as much.

Bontrager is not a brand I would have ever thought of, but the XR4 looks interesting. Smaller side knobs than I'd want though....

Found the Trail Boss from ze Germans for under $50: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...0aAn54EALw_wcB

Any idea on clearance for these bad boys? I was able to fit a 2.3" Magic Mary in the back of my Following, so...

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    I may try out the Onza Aquila in a folding bead when it comes out mid summer. Doubt I could tell the difference between it and a DHF, but may give it a shot. Looks promising.
    I tried the Ibex on the BMC test bikes we had when I had my cool job. Loved the tread although we flatted about a million times with their lighter compound.

Good to know, thanks. Hope the Aquila trail tire casing is similar to an EXO, I honestly haven’t looked into it very far.

These babies rip nicely. Same rubber on both hoops. First time riding on Bontrager tread and no complaints with this particular tire. I've got them on both of my mountain bikes. I've always liked the triple compound tires on any any tire.
    Attachment 225008
    Attachment 225009
    Attachment 225010

It isn't much different, but it seems that the middle knobs are a bit taller than the RRazor and Minion SS. I've ridden all three and prefer the Riddler as things get damp, with the Minion SS a close second. For climbing traction, unfortunately, I think all the SS tires are poor compared to their non-SS counterparts.

I'm just starting to put the Riddler through the wringer, but so far so good. We'll see as it starts to wear a bit...

Any discussion of the Minion SS should probably note which version of it you're referring to. Maxxis changed it about a year ago, but there's plenty of the old version still kicking around. They look similar, but ride noticeably different. Newer version has slightly smaller side knobs that are spaced closer together.

Riddler rolls faster and climbs better than the (new) SS, but the SS blows it out of the water in terms of cornering traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Pick up that DHR2 MaxxTerra when you get a chance, it's definitely the way to go with a MaxxGrip front.
    Definitely leaning that way. The DHF WT MaxxGrip up front has been awesome, huge upgrade for winter riding from the single compound HRII. Still running that HRII out back and yeah, braking on wet wood/rocks/roots is no bueno, lots of sliding. I love the DHR2 DH casing on the back of my DH bike, anchors so well.

Definitely leaning that way. The DHF WT MaxxGrip up front has been awesome, huge upgrade for winter riding from the single compound HRII. Still running that HRII out back and yeah, braking on wet wood/rocks/roots is no bueno, lots of sliding.
    Yeah - that single compound HRII really sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    I just sent you a few messages about the morsa. They roll fast but do not grip. I couldn't get the TNT casing to work for me, either get grip and flat a ton, or run high pressure and have some fun skittery turns.

The cornering knobs are much smaller in person than you'd think.
    I've found that the Morsas need a little break in. I wasn't digging them on the first couple of rides but now I really like them. I'm guessing they're like a car tire, shit for the first few miles until you rough them up a little.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Definitely leaning that way. The DHF WT MaxxGrip up front has been awesome, huge upgrade for winter riding from the single compound HRII. Still running that HRII out back and yeah, braking on wet wood/rocks/roots is no bueno, lots of sliding. I love the DHR2 DH casing on the back of my DH bike, anchors so well.
    Do the MaxxTerra DHR2 EXO or DD as soon as you can then, its a whole new world with a softer compound in the rear, not just braking but cornering and climbing too. It actually rolls better than you would think if you run a reasonable pressure, and wears well if you don't skid it all over the place or ride tons of rock/pavement/etc. Totally worth it especially if riding all around wet conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Do the MaxxTerra DHR2 EXO or DD as soon as you can then, its a whole new world with a softer compound in the rear, not just braking but cornering and climbing too. It actually rolls better than you would think if you run a reasonable pressure, and wears well if you don't skid it all over the place or ride tons of rock/pavement/etc. Totally worth it especially if riding all around wet conditions.
    Does the DHR II come in DD on the 27.5x2.4WT size? On Maxxis' website, JensonUSA etc. I can only see 27.5x2.4WT in EXO (dual compound or 3C MaxxTerra). DD only seems to be in 27.5x2.3 -- is that significantly narrower than my DHF 2.5WT up front? Wonder how it would compare in width to my current HR II EXO Single compound out back.

Might just go with the 2.4WT EXO MaxTerra out back. Have had pretty good success with EXO casing even though I'm heavy (210lbs). Usually run 28-30psi in the back so not much folding and there isn't much tire slicing terrain where I am usually trail riding.

Does the DHR II come in DD on the 27.5x2.4WT size? On Maxxis' website, JensonUSA etc. I can only see 27.5x2.4WT in EXO (dual compound or 3C MaxxTerra). DD only seems to be in 27.5x2.3 -- is that significantly narrower than my DHF 2.5WT up front? Wonder how it would compare in width to my current HR II EXO Single compound out back.

Might just go with the 2.4WT EXO MaxTerra out back. Have had pretty good success with EXO casing even though I'm heavy (210lbs). Usually run 28-30psi in the back so not much folding and there isn't much tire slicing terrain where I am usually trail riding.

You're right, I don't see a 2.4 DD either, nor do I know if one is going to be released. The 2.3" is literally about .1" smaller at the casing, or 2.5mm less - noticeably smaller but not huge difference. I'd say the 2.3 DD is good if you ride super fast through rocks, plenty of people use them for enduro racing with a 2.5 in the front. The 2.4 EXO is better for softer terrain and/or technical riding with less abuse. Big weight difference. I personally just use an EXO in the rear on a suspension bike with reasonable pressure without any problems, but I'm not abusive.

Also consider a Huck Norris insert in the rear, they are about 75g, help prevent snakebite damage, and can be had for $30 each on ebay. I just got one to run on a hardtail in the rear. Yeah it's just foam, but it's the right kind of really nice high quality foam cut into the correct shape.
    Last edited by Jonny Snow; 02-23-2018 at 10:24 AM.