Page 89 of 167 FirstFirst ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 4158
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if these Kenda tires *actually* turned out to be good?
    A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, there was the BBG.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Any recent Kinda tires that are good? I've been running dual Assegai, double down in the rear and exo in the front and so far this is the best tire setup I've ever run. Yeah, it's heavy but the grip is insane and I can't even remember the last time I had a flat or even a puncture that needed a plug. I got a discount code for Kenda but don't know too much about their newer tires. I think a nevegal was the last kenda I owned.
    Doesn't that roll super slow?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Doesn't that roll super slow?
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I don't think it has slowed me down that much on the uphills, it certainly hasn't slowed me down on the downhills. The grip that these tires provide has me charging into stuff with more confidence than I've ever had in any other tires.

YMMV. I don't tend to ride a lot of roll'y, pedal'y stuff if I can avoid it.

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I don't think it has slowed me down that much on the uphills, it certainly hasn't slowed me down on the downhills.
    I'm of this opinion. I can get fitter fairly easy but can never get free grip from a tyre.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I test-rode a bike that I will be buying in a few weeks that had WTB Verdict/Judge combo. The side knobs on the front Verdict are undercut and the tire is absolutely terrifying when tipped over on hard dirt.

He’s going to throw on a new Verdict before I take ownership of the bike. Is the tire any good, and my experience is just due to the wear, or does it lack support in corners? The side knobs definitely look to be on the smaller side compared to, say, a Minion or Assegai.
    I bought the bike, and it came with a relatively new Verdict up front. It still feels squirmy when cornering, especially on harder surfaces. I think it's coming off.

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I don't think it has slowed me down that much on the uphills, it certainly hasn't slowed me down on the downhills. The grip that these tires provide has me charging into stuff with more confidence than I've ever had in any other tires.

I see your and rossymcg's point. Where I honestly run into trouble is over the years going from 2 bikes and 2x drive to one bike with 1x drive for everything. Even being fit I'm needing to have a 32/34 oval with a 10-50 to be able to climb steep alpine trails. The only place I feel held back is going mach schnell on flow trails (eg into a big jump line) where I can't really gain much by pedalling even on the 10 cog, so I have to rely on gaining as much from gravity as possible and maintaining that speed by minimizing brakes and rolling resistance. That's why I went from 2xMagic Mary DH to 2xDHF to DHF/DHR to DHR/Dissector Exo+. I surrendered some grip for faster roll. Yes I can climb a little faster too, but that wasn't the point as fitness makes a bigger diff.

Maybe I just gotta work on pumping and popping skills then I can clear with a slower tire.

I, too, am in this camp. I could give a rat's ass about the rolling - give me ridiculous grip, please. Also give me beefed up casings, because I really love being able to take retarded lines, whether on purpose or accidentally. Rode Apex yesterday with Rock'R2 front and back and only heard *one* rim strike in 2 laps. Oddly, the rim strike was on a root on Enchanted Forest - didn't have any in the Gut, and that trail is FULL of big, pointy, sharp rocks.

Me too. This probably is a pretty significant reason I'm in the "grip" camp...

I see your and rossymcg's point. Where I honestly run into trouble is over the years going from 2 bikes and 2x drive to one bike with 1x drive for everything. Even being fit I'm needing to have a 32/34 oval with a 10-50 to be able to climb steep alpine trails. The only place I feel held back is going mach schnell on flow trails (eg into a big jump line) where I can't really gain much by pedalling even on the 10 cog, so I have to rely on gaining as much from gravity as possible and maintaining that speed by minimizing brakes and rolling resistance. That's why I went from 2xMagic Mary DH to 2xDHF to DHF/DHR to DHR/Dissector Exo+. I surrendered some grip for faster roll. Yes I can climb a little faster too, but that wasn't the point as fitness makes a bigger diff.

Maybe I just gotta work on pumping and popping skills then I can clear with a slower tire.
    I've never had issues getting up to speed with a 30 x 46. ymmv

Come over and ride some singletrack, you can grab my bike and test out assegai dhrii combo.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I've never had issues getting up to speed with a 30 x 46. ymmv
    That's where I'm at as well. Too cheap to upgrade from 11 speed. Works for me 95% of the time and we've got some grunty climbs around here. Never had a problem running out of gear pedaling.

The only place I feel held back is going mach schnell on flow trails (eg into a big jump line) where I can't really gain much by pedalling even on the 10 cog, so I have to rely on gaining as much from gravity as possible and maintaining that speed by minimizing brakes and rolling resistance.
    Where are these jumps you speak of that are big enough to require more speed than a 34 x 10 will give you? That's pushing 40 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Where are these jumps you speak of that are big enough to require more speed than a 34 x 10 will give you? That's pushing 40 mph.
    He jumps off the end of loggerhead to try to reach his porch.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'd say that more like 30mph when I lose any significant acceleration ability. I think thats like 120 cadence. Or maybe I just suck? A distinct possibility

As for where, Gonzo at Snowmass, various at Whistler

I'm 27.5 with the 32/34 oval x 10. I see DH 29ers with 36x9 and that strikes as more of a 40mph thing at 120. I had a 40x9 on a 26 DH rig. It didn't like to go up

What jumps at whistler require you to sprint into them at your highest (lowest? always get this backwards) gear? Pretty much all of them work at trail speed, especially the bigger ones.

What jumps at whistler require you to sprint into them at your highest (lowest? always get this backwards) gear? Pretty much all of them work at trail speed, especially the bigger ones.
    I don't always clear that big table on lower a-line... on dirt merchant if I missed anything then it needed a super hard sprint to get back in the flow.

But the one that really comes to mind though was that optional long natural jump in the open on the right at the beginning of Lower Whistler DH. That's the only thing that I've crashed hard on by being short.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I bought the bike, and it came with a relatively new Verdict up front. It still feels squirmy when cornering, especially on harder surfaces. I think it's coming off.
    My pal is supported by WTB, gets his tyres for free. He's got some verdicts for me to try out this winter he swears by them. We are in the UK though and Steve Peat calls it sunny Sheffield, Sheffield is never actually sunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    My pal is supported by WTB, gets his tyres for free. He's got some verdicts for me to try out this winter he swears by them. We are in the UK though and Steve Peat calls it sunny Sheffield, Sheffield is never actually sunny.

Verdict is just shy of a mud spike. Especially the side knobs. They hook in nicely on soft dirt, but they're definitely squirmy on hardpack. The knobs are also pretty upright, so they don't play as nicely with super high lean angles. The biggest downside is just that WTB's soft rubber still isn't that soft. The verdict could be a great soft to muddy conditions tire, but it'd need a softer rubber compound to really be awesome.

Verdict is just shy of a mud spike. Especially the side knobs. They hook in nicely on soft dirt, but they're definitely squirmy on hardpack. The knobs are also pretty upright, so they don't play as nicely with super high lean angles. The biggest downside is just that WTB's soft rubber still isn't that soft. The verdict could be a great soft to muddy conditions tire, but it'd need a softer rubber compound to really be awesome.
    Yeah, pretty much. I also think they'd be less squirmy but still work well in soft stuff if the side knobs weren't so heavily siped.

How's it stack up against the shorty?

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    How's it stack up against the shorty?

I haven't actually spent much time on the shorty, but it's definitely a more dedicated soft conditions tire. The verdict isn't intended to be a dedicated mud - they actually make a "verdict wet" that's even spikier than the regular version.

I managed to get my hands on an Assegai EXO+ Maxx Grip, which finally exists. Later, Verdict!

For our dirt (BC South Coast), things are generally more hard with rocks and roots and free-draining, with not a lot of mud. Something better supported with stickier rubber is a better call around here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E9CA91A2-5ED3-403A-8EB6-908085D4094D.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	485.9 KB 
ID:	343008

The biggest downside is just that WTB's soft rubber still isn't that soft. The verdict could be a great soft to muddy conditions tire, but it'd need a softer rubber compound to really be awesome.
    I agree with this statement. It felt closer to a Maxx Terra than a Maxx Grip on slippery stuff.

Also, the tire only has 5 or so rides on it as a front tire and I can already see the side knobs starting to become undercut.

I got that one. The Shorty doesn't have quite as much cornering grip as the Verdict, especially at shallower lean angles in really soft dirt, but it's also less squirmy and it's side knobs are better supported.

For that sort of mud spike-ish tire that won't kill you if you put it on some firmer dirt, the Schwalbe Dirty Dan is easily my favorite.

Anyone riding 29+ and have recommendations? Currently on the surly dirt wizards that came with the Krampus and they’re approaching the end of life. Also looking for a 29+ tire to do some late fall/winter riding with. On Vancouver island with the local trails primarily featuring dirt and plenty of roots with only a smattering of rideable rock.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Maxxis Chronicle?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Kinda looks like Maxxis discontinued the 29x3.0 DHF, but there are some available online.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.