Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Grinch’s mileage is varying so hard right now

i warned him that might happen...

Sooo many miles

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Back to tire nerd talk ...

Setting up a bike that will see mostly Oregon loam (with a bit of loose shale here and there) but also a decent amount of wet clay, the kind that packs up inside the knobs of my current DHF/Aggressor combo and turns it into an orange balloon on a slip and slide.

Since I’m planning on being lazy come spring, I don’t think I wanna go with a mud spike for winter riding - just an all around tire that sheds mud a bit better than my DHF/Aggressor setup.

I’m thinking 29 x 2.6 Butcher Grid up front and 29 x 2.3 Butcher Control in back.

Thoughts? Am I gonna die? Make sure I get the red ones?

I’ve used Conti MK2.4’s before and seem to remember those shedding mud pretty well, but they don’t grip loam as well as other tires.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Getting in magic mary, dhr2 , assguy wild enduro territory

Magic Mary is what I'll be running F/R once the rain starts (NorCal). They shed mud much better than Minions last year (I did side by side comparisons with friends riding the same trail).

Michelin Enduro Front was oustanding on my recent BC trip. Not too different to a Magic Mary, maybe a little more bite. The tread looks between a Magic Mary and Shorty and it rides as such. Back to a Wild Rock R'2 on the rear, much happier on that than the Enduro Rear.

I'm still getting dings and the occasional pinch flat at 27/28psi on the rear though (80kg rider) so I'm considering trying a CushCore rear with a DHR 2 EXO casing rather than raise the pressure, at only a 50-100g overall weight penalty over my normal Michelin casing (similar to Doubledown). Hoping to be able to run around 23psi, maintain good support in corners and protect the rims. Anyone experimented similarly? Blister guy's outcome was that he couldn't drop his pressure with EXO & Cushcore compared to Doubledown or they got squirmy, but many reviews say otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Blister guy's outcome was that he couldn't drop his pressure with EXO & Cushcore compared to Doubledown or they got squirmy, but many reviews say otherwise.
    I think it depends on the type of trails you're riding. For slower, steep, techy trails (even in enduro race situations), I like CushCore at 22 psi. In those situations, I don't find EXO much less supportive than a heavier tire when running those low pressures.

But on fast trails with hard cornering, running mid to high 20s gives more support when pushing into corners.

Consider the Vittoria Air Liner, bigger than CushCore. I have ridden it 2x with no air for 3-4miles, just a little slower than with air. Good product. I run very low pressures with it for traction.

Id go with the vittoria liner. Only adds 1/3 lb. I have the nukeproof liner and its working well and similar to the vittoria. I like the channel on the vittoria liner to go with my ghetto tubeless set up.
    As much as i like tge rockr2(over documented) id stay with the wild enduro's on the rear. I understand you want more grip than the enduro rear now so id say put a wild enduro front on the rear. For the same reason youre having a good experience with it on the front. It sheds mud well, rolls better than the rockr2 because of the ramped center knobs and bites well for climbing and cornering. The rockr2 will clog up like a minion and the side knobs are tighter together. Amazing in the dry or loam but you lose that when it gets sticky. Wild enduro front on the rear with a vittoria liner is almost exactly the same weight as an exo dhr2 with cush core. Much better protection and support with the mich over an exo

That’s good feedback on the Wild Enduro Front.

I think I’ve settled on trying Butcher Grid 2.6F and Trail King 2.4R. It’s the lowest cost combo (Amazon has TK’s for $45 right now) that gives me high volume, good grip, mud shedding and not egregious weight and not egregious drag.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Trail King 2.4R. It’s the lowest cost combo (Amazon has TK’s for $45 right now)
    I give it 2.5 weeks before the casing tears internally and gives the tire a massive wobble.

In true TGR fashion, I have read everyone's advice, and ignored all of it.
    FIFY

Haaaa

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    FIFY
    Of course!

But I do promise to report my completely irrelevant experience in an overly biased manner, and to also remain self righteously indignant when I eventually replace this setup with a Magic Mary 2.6 / Wild Enduro 2.4 combo due to utter disappointment!!!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

get 2, the Trail King will wear out in 400mi.

That’s good feedback on the Wild Enduro Front.

I think I’ve settled on trying Butcher Grid 2.6F and Trail King 2.4R. It’s the lowest cost combo (Amazon has TK’s for $45 right now) that gives me high volume, good grip, mud shedding and not egregious weight and not egregious drag.

Back to tire nerd talk ...

Setting up a bike that will see mostly Oregon loam (with a bit of loose shale here and there) but also a decent amount of wet clay, the kind that packs up inside the knobs of my current DHF/Aggressor combo and turns it into an orange balloon on a slip and slide.

Since I’m planning on being lazy come spring, I don’t think I wanna go with a mud spike for winter riding - just an all around tire that sheds mud a bit better than my DHF/Aggressor setup.

I’m thinking 29 x 2.6 Butcher Grid up front and 29 x 2.3 Butcher Control in back.

Thoughts? Am I gonna die? Make sure I get the red ones?

I’ve used Conti MK2.4’s before and seem to remember those shedding mud pretty well, but they don’t grip loam as well as other tires.
    Magic Mary.
    And stop suggesting that someone will find you a tire that gets good traction AND rolls like a semi-slick. MTBing is compromise. You can have traction a have fun or you can have fast and boring/sketchy. Time to pick.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    get 2, the Trail King will wear out in 400mi.
    The way my life is right now, I'll be lucky to get 400 miles on this bike between now and May when we go into dry season! Sad life of an internet skiing/biking full time dad ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

If one were to sip the Michelin kool-aid for winter tires (NorCal, so not winter compared to most), how would the Enduro Front work as a rear? If I can interpret their nonsense rubber compound names right, Gum-X is the harder compound (run that rear) and Magi-X is the sticky compound (run that front). Our "wet" season is more like "not dust on hardpack" than a true mud season.

I don't flat, for whatever reason (trail conditions / lack of rider aggression / etc.). Current summer setup is Assegai EXO front, DHR 2 EXO MT rear, which I like except for wearing the tread off the DHR every few months. I'd run Assegai front/rear except they're fucking pigs for 29, even EXO. I have a set of Magic Mary that I was planning on running (ran last winter also and liked just fine), but you guys are such evangelists it's wearing me down.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Magic Mary.
    And stop suggesting that someone will find you a tire that gets good traction AND rolls like a semi-slick. MTBing is compromise. You can have traction a have fun or you can have fast and boring/sketchy. Time to pick.

Fast and sketchy is hardly boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    If one were to sip the Michelin kool-aid for winter tires (NorCal, so not winter compared to most), how would the Enduro Front work as a rear? If I can interpret their nonsense rubber compound names right, Gum-X is the harder compound (run that rear) and Magi-X is the sticky compound (run that front). Our "wet" season is more like "not dust on hardpack" than a true mud season.

I don't flat, for whatever reason (trail conditions / lack of rider aggression / etc.). Current summer setup is Assegai EXO front, DHR 2 EXO MT rear, which I like except for wearing the tread off the DHR every few months. I'd run Assegai front/rear except they're fucking pigs for 29, even EXO. I have a set of Magic Mary that I was planning on running (ran last winter also and liked just fine), but you guys are such evangelists it's wearing me down.
    Yes magicX front and gumX rear. Compared to exo theyll also be pigs though. The front wild enduro on the rear would be great for off season. It doesnt roll as fast as the wild enduro rear but it still rolls quite fast. Faster than the rockr2. Id put a rockr2 on the front with that w endoro f on the rear. I guess the w enduro f might be similar wieght to assguy exo 9er. I think the assguy's are heavier than other exo's and the w enduro f is lighter than the r and lighter than rockr2. Id call tgat a good combo with a hucknorris/vittoria/or nukeproof liner but maybe you dont need it

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Any recommendations on what mtb tire to buy for my 7 year old? she's on a 20" wheel. The tires on their are crap and she's starting to do a little trail riding. Also, where do I find 20" mtb tires?

ETA I found a few on chain reaction now... took me a few clicks, my normal window shopping sites didn’t yield much
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Bunch of super nice little kids bikes now. I think maxxis had their popular models in smaller sizes on them. Not positive about 20" though. It might have been norco kids bukes i saw them on??

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Bunch of super nice little kids bikes now. I think maxxis had their popular models in smaller sizes on them. Not positive about 20" though. It might have been norco kids bukes i saw them on??

I've seen some in 24".....

Still looking for more options.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Any recommendations on what mtb tire to buy for my 7 year old? she's on a 20" wheel. The tires on their are crap and she's starting to do a little trail riding. Also, where do I find 20" mtb tires?

ETA I found a few on chain reaction now... took me a few clicks, my normal window shopping sites didn’t yield much
    Maxxis MaxxDaddy 20x2.0 is pretty solid. Cheap (<$20) and pretty light (~560 g), though a fairly hard compound (70a). Best option if you don't want to spend a bunch.
    https://www.treefortbikes.com/Maxxis...SABEgJq8vD_BwE

Brood Maxtion 20x2.2 are really good. Tubeless ready, DHR-esque tread, 440 g, but spendy after shipping
    https://spawncycles.com/brood-maxtion-22

Schwalbe Little Joe 20x2.0 is also a good option. Light (~430 g) and a bit cheaper than the Maxtions
    https://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Litt...51029906&psc=1