Page 91 of 165 FirstFirst ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 4109
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Still pretty terrible on wet roots! At least on the Butcher tread blocks. And again, this is not T9, just the regular Gripton ordered brand new a couple months ago.
    Hillbilly regular Gripton not so bad, but I suspect the Shorty or Dirty Dan may bite a little better on those (wet roots).

Now I'm realizing that my winter bike should be running Hillbilly front and back to deal with the roots better, or like Shorty front Hillbilly rear. Then swap over to Butcher/Butcher for shoulder and summer use. I'm addicted to the cheap price and light weight on that Spesh stuff, and it really does work so well for clay-mix soils ...
    My $0.02, as a guy who rides a lot in the wet months, on the west side of the Cascades: the Dirty Dan is the best mid-spike out there, and it's not really close. And I say that as someone who doesn't like the Magic Mary at all, I'm far from a Schwalbe fanboy. All of those tires work well in soft dirt, but wet root performance REALLY sets the Dan apart. It's just so much more consistent than the Hillbilly or Shorty when you're going back and forth across roots and soft muddy dirt.

That said, it rolls like ass, so I don't bother running one in the rear. I can deal with some rear wheel slip. I've mostly paired them with a 2.4 DD MaxxTerra DHR2 and been pretty happy with that, but am trying a Big Betty (Super Gravity, Addix Soft) in the back right now and it's solid. Rolls a little better than a DHR2, and seems to grip a little better on the center tread (i.e. bike upright on wet roots and stuff) but doesn't quite brake as well.

So, looking to drop a little weight and gain better rolling resistance for my daughters new ride. Comes stock with maxxis tomahawk 27.5 2.3. She’s all of 85 pounds and riding in Park City so stupid light is pretty ok. Thoughts?

I’ve looked at the bontrager xr2 and xr1 but would like a 2.3 or 2.4 for the front.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Thanks.

One thing is my Hillbilly is 29 x 2.6 on a 35mm rim.

Dirty Dan only up to 2.35, Der Baron only up to 2.4, at least Shorty comes in a 2.5WT in both 3C MT and 3C MG, in case the Hillbilly truly isn’t soft enough for me.

We’ll see ... trying a Hillbilly Grid front and rear gives me a good rotation program at way less cost than branching out to the Shorty 3C MG.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Thanks.

One thing is my Hillbilly is 29 x 2.6 on a 35mm rim.

Dirty Dan only up to 2.35, Der Baron only up to 2.4, at least Shorty comes in a 2.5WT in both 3C MT and 3C MG, in case the Hillbilly truly isn’t soft enough for me.

We’ll see ... trying a Hillbilly Grid front and rear gives me a good rotation program at way less cost than branching out to the Shorty 3C MG.
    FWIW, the 2.35 Dan is almost (not quite - 2.38" tread width vs 2.44") as big as a 2.5 Shorty. I run both on 30mm inner width rims. The Dan is a little more squared off, but I think that's not a bad thing for a tire you're primarily using on the front in shitfuck conditions. 35mm rims might be pushing it though, I haven't tried it on anything that wide.

Any of you super-radsters actually try a Dissector as a front tire, and push it to its limits?
    (Or at least your Limits!)
    I have an extra 2.6, curious if it’s worth trying. Looks more like a rear, IMO.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

They come in 2.6? Might be good if all your trails are pretty smooth (Missoula). Especially in a 29.
    ETA: idk if I'd wanna really on them for hard braking with a big rotor, but I'm also a big dude and a hack. A lighter, better rider than me might get away with it. They look like they corner fine.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I said opinions from super-radsters, duuuude

i was planning on trying one on my hei hei with the stock rekon out back but couldn't get ahold of one at the time. Wound up with a dhf but that's not a great match for a rekon so I'd still like to try one.

Trashed both those rekons anyway, and wouldn't buy another one. Have a nobby nic on the back right now and not sure what I'll do in the spring. Try some faster, lighter tires and swap some parts to see if I can get this thing to pedal like I want or sell it or get a new xc hardtail.
    Last edited by jamal; 11-21-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Radster friend is running Dissector front / Rekon rear as his lightweight local ride setup and loving it. Mixed dry clay loam silt soil ... like I said those tires suck on wet stuff though.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Any of you super-radsters actually try a Dissector as a front tire, and push it to its limits?
    (Or at least your Limits!)
    I have an extra 2.6, curious if it’s worth trying. Looks more like a rear, IMO.
    I ran a 2.6 Dissector (EXO+/ Maxxterra) briefly on the front with 30mm rims. The drift was more pronounced than with a DHF on hardpack / loose over hard.

I can see having better luck with a 2.4 on the front as it has a smaller channel or perhaps the 2.6 with wider rims.

Even in the rear it's a bit drifty, especially under braking, but at least I can use that to my advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    i was planning on trying one on my hei hei
    Try some faster, lighter tires and swap some parts to see if I can get this thing to pedal like I want or sell it or get a new xc hardtail.
    Is the Hei Hei not working out? That's disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post

Even in the rear it's a bit drifty, especially under braking, but at least I can use that to my advantage.
    I assume that will be the case for most ‘faster rolling’ tires, coming off DHR/Aggressors.

Yeah I’m looking forward to trying it in the rear in July (with a 2.4 Mazza up front) when everything has fully drained and dried here ...
    Like I said on wet clay, once it breaks loose it feels like it can’t recover and is just totally gone.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Yeah I’m looking forward to trying it in the rear in July (with a 2.4 Mazza up front) when everything has fully drained and dried here ...
    Like I said on wet clay, once it breaks loose it feels like it can’t recover and is just totally gone.
    You ride on wet clay? Here that's a death sentence both for the bike and the trail.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

It’s not pure clay - clay loam - and where it’s clay rich it’s very well armored. This stuff is designed to hold up all winter with good drains, you can literally do work on it and ride immediately. But my point was the higher the clay content, when wet, the Dissectors start to lose all bite.

PNWet riding is very different than west Rockies Great Basin (if that’s even remotely accurate lol). Also yeah this time of year I ride my hardtail with a half spike front tire, less wear on the suspension bearings.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

You can ride this stuff on days like this while
    its actively showering on you ...

... and literally see zero or barely any tire imprint on the trail.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Looks
    So
    Good

Schralph, what’s that green thing tied to your top tube?

Folding saw in a plastic bag. Keeps the muck off the saw and the saw from tearing up my paint. Another needed tool riding where I live ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Nice.
    Thanks for doing your part!

I’m happy to do it!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I recently obtained some 27mm IW BTLOS wheels (1380g) and decided to go all in and put light tires on them as well. Shwalbe Rocket Ron 2.35 F&R. They are not XC file treads, but the knobs aren't very tall, either. Between the wheels and tires the Ripley lost 3 pounds! (Note that I weigh 138# and ride lightly, having been around since the days of full rigid. Not everyone can get away with a setup this light.)

I was coming off of 35mm rims with 2.5 Assegai front and 2.4 Grid Control rear. I liked that setup, especially the Assegai. It was very confidence inspiring.

I don't feel like I have the same level of grip with the RRs, but the clock doesn't lie. I am putting up PRs on pretty much every ride without really trying on the new wheels/tires both up and down. Even on fairly technical downhills, I'm faster. These are trails I've ridden a lot.

I think it's an interesting data point.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201122_162429.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	349293
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Is the Hei Hei not working out? That's disappointing.
    On the right rides it's great, like big backcountry days and rougher, steeper trails, but that's not my every day riding around here and I could never show up for an actual race with it. Usually I'm doing a ton of climbing and riding fairly smooth trails which gives me a lot of time to notice that it's sluggish, like more than the weight would indicate. Maybe it's flex in the frame/rear end and that little bit of squish from the shock even with it closed. And I'm not thrilled with the build. And the pivots click no matter what I do. If it was just a little faster and lighter and didn't fucking click and the brakes didn't suck I'd probably love it.

Also, if I wasn't a roadie and xc racer I'm sure I'd think it was plenty fast and light.
    Last edited by jamal; 11-23-2020 at 03:27 PM.

What size, specs, and what would you sell it for next summer?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Folding saw in a plastic bag. Keeps the muck off the saw and the saw from tearing up my paint. Another needed tool riding where I live ...
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chain-Ma...-303167765-_-N

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.