Page 43 of 166 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 4145
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It’s interesting to read about all the flat tires people get on the internet.

I just had over 30 riders between Brevard and Fruita do four days each, and not a single flat tire. No sidewall tears, no pinch flats. We’ve done Moab trips with no flats, too. And they had EXO and Schwalbe Addix compound tires... not a single DD or Super Gravity casing to be seen. Of course, these guys aren’t enduro or DH racers, but there were some rippin mountain bikers for sure.
    I wonder this too. I ride 3-4 days a week and I think I've gotten 2 flat tires in the last 3 seasons. I credit not running low tire pressure. At 185 lbs. I'm quite happy with 28-30 psi in my tires.

Eh, comes down to having appropriate tires for where you ride and how. My new kenda sabers are listed at 540g and I'm only slightly worried about ripping one open before xc season is over. I will go back to slightly heavier and more durable tires for the rest of the year though.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I wonder this too. I ride 3-4 days a week and I think I've gotten 2 flat tires in the last 3 seasons. I credit not running low tire pressure. At 185 lbs. I'm quite happy with 28-30 psi in my tires.
    Maybe that's "why" you don't get flats, but it almost certainly has more to do with how fast you ride and the trails you're riding. More to the point, running high pressure is a terrible solution to the problem of flats. Optimal pressure is entirely dependent on casing, volume, durometer, rim width, wheel size, rider aggression, trail conditions, etc. Even pros are all over the map with tire pressures, because each of them are making concessions with all these other variables.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

I decrease tire pressure until:
    1. I start tapping the rim.
    Or
    2. Performance decreases

Sometimes I find a sweet spot between performance and no (few) rim taps. Sometimes I find there is no sweet spot within the rim safety zone.

I do find that similar weight tires from different brands do not give me similar results. The Kidwoo theory of heavier rubber = more durable doesn’t always work for me. This makes it really hard to commit to sampling different tires. My own personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by JLF1200 View Post
    Maybe that's "why" you don't get flats, but it almost certainly has more to do with how fast you ride and the trails you're riding. More to the point, running high pressure is a terrible solution to the problem of flats. Optimal pressure is entirely dependent on casing, volume, durometer, rim width, wheel size, rider aggression, trail conditions, etc. Even pros are all over the map with tire pressures, because each of them are making concessions with all these other variables.
    Tell us more, oh wise one.

I wonder
    Quote Originally Posted by JLF1200 View Post
    it almost certainly has more to do with how fast you ride and the trails you're riding.
    Tell us more, oh wise one.
    You didn't really wonder, did you?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Anyone on plus tires? I just swapped from 29x3 surly Dirt Wizards back to WTB Rangers for the summer. Nice to shed some weight and the WTBs roll way faster on pavement to the trailhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Anyone on plus tires? I just swapped from 29x3 surly Dirt Wizards back to WTB Rangers for the summer. Nice to shed some weight and the WTBs roll way faster on pavement to the trailhead.
    Fuck those clown-tires.

Loud plus tires. Has that fad passed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Loud plus tires. Has that fad passed yet?
    The opposite actually, they were saved from the icy clutches of death by the rise of E-Bikes...

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    The opposite actually, they were saved from the icy clutches of death by the rise of E-Bikes...
    Combined with the fact that most people have zero interest in learning proper cornering technique, yeah, they're here to stay.

Talking

I have zero interest in learning any sort of proper anything.

Literally zero fucks.

And thin, fat balloons that go on rims are still stupid.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

Literally zero fucks.

Oh come on, I know you know how to corner.

We need a rant sub forum . I’m in

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    We need a rant sub forum . I’m in
    In.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Oh come on, I know you know how to corner.
    Debatable
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

^^ Haha

Literally zero fucks.

Proper means you get to the end mostly in one piece. #3"tiresFTW

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Mrs jm2e just got a set of 27.5 Minion 2.8s with CushCore. Loves them.
    I’m on 29 Butcher 2.6s with CushCore. Feels nice. The faster I go, the more I notice the damping affect of the CushCore.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

I am now running CushCore front and back and agree that the ride quality is excellent. I notice the extra damping and stability that comes with running 19 and 22 PSI while still having support from the tire. And I haven't dented a rim in a while. I'm running a 2.5 DHF Exo in front and a 2.3 DHR II Double Down in back.

Debatable
    Don't sell yourself short. You're wicked good at skidding.

Just picked up one of the updated Bontrager XR3 tires. Set it up on the rear of my hightower with a Huck Norris DH insert (which I've been running since putting this dent into my rim from one of those days where I thought I should add more air before a ride but said fuck it
    Name:  IMG_20180901_145246296.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  135.5 KB

The XR3 is paired with a 2.3 DHRII MaxxTerra up front. Only a few rides up there.. it had been out back but the trail conditions have shifted to where the grip wasn't necessary and the rolling resistance wasn't worth it.

I'm optimistic about the XR3 based on some early reviews, but also thinking this may be the first time I take advantage of bontrager's "unconditional guarantee."

^^^Dang. I like the Bontrager Team Issue series a lot.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Torn between the XR3 and the Rekon in back this year. Running 2.4 DHR2 front and back right now, ready to try something a little more fast rolling and light in back.

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    Torn between the XR3 and the Rekon in back this year. Running 2.4 DHR2 front and back right now, ready to try something a little more fast rolling and light in back.
    If you want faster rolling but still want traction, Aggressor. If you want faster rolling and no traction, Rekon.
    (I don't know how the XR3 fits in)

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Just picked up one of the updated Bontrager XR3 tires. Set it up on the rear of my hightower with a Huck Norris DH insert (which I've been running since putting this dent into my rim from one of those days where I thought I should add more air before a ride but said fuck it
    Name:  IMG_20180901_145246296.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  135.5 KB

The XR3 is paired with a 2.3 DHRII MaxxTerra up front. Only a few rides up there.. it had been out back but the trail conditions have shifted to where the grip wasn't necessary and the rolling resistance wasn't worth it.

I'm optimistic about the XR3 based on some early reviews, but also thinking this may be the first time I take advantage of bontrager's "unconditional guarantee."
    I found those rims dented super ez. You can pull them back out quite well. Never been able to pull a rim dent back so ez. In the past, if it was bad like that, the sidewall would crack before it was straight. I put a flat piece of thin metal on both sides of the sidewall and gradually worked from the start to the center of the ding with channel lock pliers. Surprised how malleable the easton/raceface is. Also put a huck Norris in after that and that bought the film some more time

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app