Page 111 of 165 FirstFirst ... 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 4116
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    And discontinuing the best tire they made.
    Don't get me started.

The stars aligned - I was browsing a neighbouring town's Facebook buy/sell group and saw someone selling a Michelin hookup stash including the sold out 29 Enduro Front Magi-X. I bought all 3 .

My Madonna frame is on its way and I have quite the hoard of Michelin rubber to use or sell. Rear will be a Tannus insert with the last Wild Rock'R2 Gum-X I could find, then an AM2 to see if its lighter carcass is durable enough and if the side knobs survive my local rocky trails (Wild Enduro Rears did not cope well), and a DH34 Bike Park is on standby. After riding Vallorcine's newly reopened DH track today for the first time I'm a little scared of the speeds the Madonna might be comfortable hitting it and doubtful that the AM2 will hold up but am going to try it anyway, will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    And discontinuing the best tire they made.
    I know you're talking about the WR2, but speaking of missed opportunities: if they made the DH22, but with a folding bead and a casing that got it into the 1200g range I'd buy 10 of them tomorrow. That tire is ridiculously good... it just weights 1500g.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I know you're talking about the WR2, but speaking of missed opportunities: if they made the DH22, but with a folding bead and a casing that got it into the 1200g range I'd buy 10 of them tomorrow. That tire is ridiculously good... it just weights 1500g.
    I'd buy that tire.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    The stars aligned - I was browsing a neighbouring town's Facebook buy/sell group and saw someone selling a Michelin hookup stash including the sold out 29 Enduro Front Magi-X. I bought all 3 .

My Madonna frame is on its way and I have quite the hoard of Michelin rubber to use or sell. Rear will be a Tannus insert with the last Wild Rock'R2 Gum-X I could find, then an AM2 to see if its lighter carcass is durable enough and if the side knobs survive my local rocky trails (Wild Enduro Rears did not cope well), and a DH34 Bike Park is on standby. After riding Vallorcine's newly reopened DH track today for the first time I'm a little scared of the speeds the Madonna might be comfortable hitting it and doubtful that the AM2 will hold up but am going to try it anyway, will report back.
    Jealous. You may even want to save the gum x for a front too. Still works quite well. Curious to see how the 2.6 am2 works out. I havent been able to find them anywhere. I think its basically a lighter wider dh 34? Dh 34 bikepark works good f/r . Not quite as good as wr2 on the front but it rolls faster with the ramped center knobs and has a bit bigger spaces between all the knobs so it doesnt clog up in the mud as ez as a wr2 and the 34 is a touch narrower. I was running dh34 bike parks f/r on my enduro bike and just switched off the front to my last wr2. Give and take but overall i prefer the wr2 on the front.
    I have a dh22 waiting at the lbs for the mullet set up on the enduro bike. Havent tried a 22. Dh casing 34 was amazing though

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Sounds like you may be confusing compounds with carcasses.

Maxxis compounds: DC, 3C MAXX SPEED, 3C MAXX TERRA, 3C MAXX GRIP, SUPER TACKY
    Maxxis carcasses: EXO, EXO+, DD, DH
    Yeah I'm sure I am using the wrong verbiage but I do understand the groupings. It might just be bad luck and/or different test conditions but the aggressor has definitely seemed weaker overall despite being the same carcass as the minions I used in the past.

I wouldn't think compound should make a big difference in puncture resistance or squirming since I think of it more as tread and grip characteristics but maybe it does?
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Jealous. You may even want to save the gum x for a front too. Still works quite well.
    Well I have some WR2 Magi-X too that were my plan up front until I found the Enduro Fronts. Might still try them, but clogging with mud is a little worrying like they do on the rear.

Curious to see how the 2.6 am2 works out. I havent been able to find them anywhere. I think its basically a lighter wider dh 34?
    I have the 2.4 WR2 here and the tread pattern is pretty similar to the DH34, yes. Very slightly less space between all blocks. It's the same carcass as the Enduro Front which was fine for me recently on the rear with CushCore until lifts opened, but the side knobs don't look anywhere near as supported as the DH34 and WR2. I can't remember if the Wild Enduro Rear's were similar but me and everyone local I know who tried the Enduro rear had the side knobs rip off quickly and said "never again".

Dh 34 bikepark works good f/r .
    Yep. A few friends are liking them on the rear, especially given the price they go for over here. If I find I need a heavier casing it's ready and waiting.

I'd buy that tire.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Yeah I'm sure I am using the wrong verbiage but I do understand the groupings. It might just be bad luck and/or different test conditions but the aggressor has definitely seemed weaker overall despite being the same carcass as the minions I used in the past.
    A given carcass is the same from tire to tire, but there's still significant differences in how much rubber is in any given tire. And more rubber definitely makes a difference both in terms of puncture resistance and sidewall support. Minions definitely have more rubber in them than an equivalent sized Aggressor. And Assegai's have more rubber than Minions. Which is also why Assegai's are heavy.

Well I have some WR2 Magi-X too that were my plan up front until I found the Enduro Fronts. Might still try them, but clogging with mud is a little worrying like they do on the rear.

I have the 2.4 WR2 here and the tread pattern is pretty similar to the DH34, yes. Very slightly less space between all blocks. It's the same carcass as the Enduro Front which was fine for me recently on the rear with CushCore until lifts opened, but the side knobs don't look anywhere near as supported as the DH34 and WR2. I can't remember if the Wild Enduro Rear's were similar but me and everyone local I know who tried the Enduro rear had the side knobs rip off quickly and said "never again".

Yep. A few friends are liking them on the rear, especially given the price they go for over here. If I find I need a heavier casing it's ready and waiting.
    Ya definitely depends on what your dirt is like. No problem here for the wr2 clogging. Maybe the odd mud hole. Together with that snd the 34 just rolling quicker, it made more sense on the rear. Front im ok with either. Weights are similar 1160 wr2/34 bike park 1200g.
    I never trued enduro front but had the similar ewild in a 2.6. Decent, rolls well for the size and well spaced knobs for muddy conditions but i really dont need them. Tried the rear enduro. Same, good for a while and the added rollong speed was nice but too short a life span for me.
    34 bike park is a great deal. I'll be buying more of those for sure. I thought enduro fronts were 1000g ? I was thinking a 2.6 wildam2 on the front of the enduro bike. I think theyre supposed to be 1000g. Maybe im mixing up tires you got? They need more names without the "wild"attached

Just checked- wild am2 29 x 2.4 is 1040g and wild enduro is about 100g less. I think wild rockr 2 was 1160 or 1180.

Just checked- wild am2 29 x 2.4 is 1040g and wild enduro is about 100g less. I think wild rockr 2 was 1160 or 1180.
    My scale says:

Wild Rock'R2 29x2.35: 1167g
    Wild AM2 29x2.4: 1011g
    Wild Enduro Front 29x2.4: 1051g
    DH34 Bike Park: 1301g

All close enough to Michelin's spec weight from what I noted before buying.

My scale says:

Wild Rock'R2 29x2.35: 1167g
    Wild AM2 29x2.4: 1011g
    Wild Enduro Front 29x2.4: 1051g
    DH34 Bike Park: 1301g

All close enough to Michelin's spec weight from what I noted before buying.
    Ok thats good. Ive seen the wild enduro 27.5 listed as low as 895g. Obviously bs
    AM2 looking good for a lighter tire that can shred. Pretty much exo+ but michelin construction and rubber.
    Have you compared the width of the dh22 and dh34 on the same size(tire diameter and rim inner width) rim by chance? I heard a couple mentions of the 22 measuring slightly wider. Nothing confirmed

Ok thats good. Ive seen the wild enduro 27.5 listed as low as 895g. Obviously bs
    AM2 looking good for a lighter tire that can shred. Pretty much exo+ but michelin construction and rubber.
    Have you compared the width of the dh22 and dh34 on the same size(tire diameter and rim inner width) rim by chance? I heard a couple mentions of the 22 measuring slightly wider. Nothing confirmed

I've got 1087 and 999 g for the 27.5''x2.4'' Wild Enduro front and rear, respectively.

2.41'' tread width for the DH22, 2.38'' for the DH34. Both on a 30mm rim. Casings are very similar (maybe the same) but the side knobs on the 22 are very slightly wider.

I've got 1087 and 999 g for the 27.5''x2.4'' Wild Enduro front and rear, respectively.

2.41'' tread width for the DH22, 2.38'' for the DH34. Both on a 30mm rim. Casings are very similar (maybe the same) but the side knobs on the 22 are very slightly wider.
    Thanks man. Nice to have the definitive measurement. Figured id try a 22 on the rear before i commit to the front. Wish they had some proper 2.5's but maybe the 22 brings me closer, if i like it as much as the 34
    Still liking my big betty's and still have new butcher and eliminator to try before i get to more michelins for the front

Thanks man. Nice to have the definitive measurement. Figured id try a 22 on the rear before i commit to the front. Wish they had some proper 2.5's but maybe the 22 brings me closer, if i like it as much as the 34
    Still liking my big betty's and still have new butcher and eliminator to try before i get to more michelins for the front

They roll pretty damn slow. I've been using a DH22 front / DH34 rear combo on my burly wheels for my pedalable park bike kind of setup. DH22 in the back is... not quick.

They roll pretty damn slow. I've been using a DH22 front / DH34 rear combo on my burly wheels for my pedalable park bike kind of setup. DH22 in the back is... not quick.
    That sounds good for my usage. Im not planning on pedaling it a ton. They are a bit pricey. Hope they last for a bit. Theyll be skidding down some rock slabs

Don't get me started.

Did you hear what Michelin did with their tire line!?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Did you hear what Michelin did with their tire line!?

Just ordered some new rubber for my Fuel EX, taking the worn Bonty XR4 2.6’s off and replacing them with 2.4 XR4’s. The 2.6’s are fun but slow as hell. Ordered a pair from some place in Ogden, $119 shipped.
    crab in my shoe mouth

^^^ my fuel EX came with 2.4 on them. They roll pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    The cult of Maxxis is pretty powerful.

Specialized tires are the bargain champs at $60, but they'll sue you if you look at them funny.
    Cult of Maxxis member here, but you can get em cheap out of Europe still,,, paid $70CAD ($57USD) for a 29x2.5 Assegai DD MaxxGrip from Bike24 the other day. Gotta pay shipping but if you buy a bunch of crap it's way cheaper than locally, at least in Canada where these tires MSRP is like $110-120.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Update on Vittoria Mazza 4C 2.4 front and Dissector 3CMT 2.4 rear:
    So far tried on 3 different soil types (loam, DG/loam mix, clay/loam mix, all dry and semi packed).
    Overall the combo pairs well, the cornering blocks front and back have a pretty similar feel and both being 2.4 the front/back cornering bite engagement feels pretty harmonious. Only thing is the Mazza feels like it digs a deeper than the Dissector in softer soils, so the front feels slower (no surprise there). Feels like a good summer combo for here (Western Oregon) anyways.

More thoughts on Mazza:
    -If you haven’t seen the pattern, it’s about as close to a DHF clone as I’ve seen with some differences in siping and shape of the cornering blocks. Coming off a DHF or Butcher front it’s very intuitive and just falls into that category of hard cornering channel tire.
    -Feels like it digs in a little more than DHF, mostly when cornering it seems like the blocks are digging a little more than DHF.
    -Also therefore feels a touch slower than DHF.
    -Less squirm than Butcher.
    -I like the way the gray sidewalls look on carbon rims.
    -It’s brand new but so far the tread feel seems firm where you need it, soft where you need it, and overall fairly damp - good feel.
    -I bet it would also pair well with a 2.3 or 2.4 DHR out back if you like the DHF but just want a tire that digs in just a touch more.

More thoughts on Dissector:
    -My experiences on feel are in line with what I’ve read; I think it corners harder/faster than an Aggressor, feels a bit faster overall than an Aggressor, but I think it gives up some braking grip to the Aggressor especially in loose dry soil.
    -I have tame trail conditions and weigh way less than most of you so I can’t comment on durability under heavy use or on jagged trails (we’ve all heard the cautionary tales).
    -I still will caution that my experiences in wet conditions of this tire were not favorable - I’d suggest looking at other tires (DHR, Butcher, etc) if you live somewhere like NC where you can ride wet trails midsummer. I like the Aggressor better for shoulder season use.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    The cult of Maxxis is pretty powerful.

Specialized tires are the bargain champs at $60, but they'll sue you if you look at them funny.
    And often 10% off for $54 a tire!

I’ve posted strong love for the Butcher/Butcher combo as something that handles soft soils well, reasonably fast on packed dry soils, clears wet soils really really well for not being a half spike tire, less on/off cornering feel than DHF … right now it’s my shoulder season (moist-to-wet but not bogged down) tire setup on my main bike and both my summer and shoulder setup on my hardtail. It actually rolls fast enough for my needs that I have never been motivated to try a Purg or Eliminator in the back.
    Main weaknesses (with the pre T9 compound) are wet roots and wet rocks, I won’t recommend it if you see a lot of these. Maybe the T9 compound helps with this - if so, that would really close the gap between Spesh and Maxxis when it comes to grip.

I’ve been very happy with the Spesh Hillbilly in total wet conditions, will probably run it front and back on my hardtail this winter.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Fucking Toast being right again (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...15#post6211815). I made the mistake of riding EXO+ sorta fast in a place with rocks (not used to that) and promptly punched a hole through the tread. Should have run a DD up front like I was in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Fucking Toast being right again (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...15#post6211815). I made the mistake of riding EXO+ sorta fast in a place with rocks (not used to that) and promptly punched a hole through the tread. Should have run a DD up front like I was in the rear.

Trying out different tires and inserts is an excellent way to feed my tinkering needs when there is no snow on the ground. Thank you bikes.

For my bike park only wheelset, will be riding mammoth with its rocks, plentiful kitty litter, and dry loose conditions, am I going to see any benefit to running maxxgrip over maxxterra. I've always run maxxterra because I dont ride wet conditions or encounter roots, and its been fine.

Also, running Exo+ casings right now, and Toast has now convinced me to try DD casing.