Page 53 of 165 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 4116
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    You guys use metal irons on carbon hoops?!

Not to say I haven't beat the shit out of carbon hoops on rocks and know they are strong as hell, but metal irons seems sketch on plastic rims.
    All the time. If a carbon rim can't take some reasonably gentle prying with a metal lever, I don't want it on my bike.

Just removed old e13 SS LG1 EN Race and put new same tire on 27.5 30mm rim with CushCore. 1 tire lever, no lube. I found this guys install and removal videos very helpful: https://youtu.be/3n030moWx58
    "Just send it you pussy."

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If that kid can get a wire bead dh tire mounted up with cushcore without using levers, he shouldn't be wasting his talents at a bike shop. There's gotta be some black-ops military application for that shit.

I don't know, but he is going to be an engineer, so...

I forget if it was a book or an article I read a long time ago about a piano mover. I think he was a Japanese zen master or something, but I often think about him (he might not even be real for all I know) when presented with certain tasks that seem almost impossible...but I know they're absolutely possible. It's generally all about thoughtful patience.

I have a lifelong mechanic friend that has the grip strength of an alligator bite. Ive seen him rip tires off rims with his fingers that i had a hard time with levers. Still think it was some kind of optical illusion. Years of pounding through horse steps on a fully rigud bike have worn my wrists. My grip strength is shit and fact of the matter is there is a big disparity between certain rim and tire bead combos. Always has been. For some reason im even remembering waaay back to wolber rims/ritchey tires being almost impossible(neither are a good choice though so theres that). I used to be fairly proficient setting the beads in the center of the rim and working it around and pulling/popping the final bit of bead in. Michelins take a little more work so now i install it a couple times with the hwlp of my moto lever before i wven set it up for tubeless. Motp lever is super flat and really wide. No harm done. Perfect design. Also have a range of small metal levers in my packs. Some metal levers ive had for years that came in chinese patch kits we got for free at a shop for booking freebees(i filed the edges and burrs smooth and round), another burly but short metal lever i picked up has a slight curved flat end(most often used) and the other end is also flat but has more of a curve(great for grabbing troublesome tire beads initial so i can get another regular curved lever in there) and also some plastic covered metal levers i picjed up cheap from jensen. Zero plastics without metal. Zero rims damaged

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Maybe I am an idiot and it is standard practice, but I haven’t had to reach for the metal levers since I discovered the spray bottle of soapy water.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Maybe I am an idiot and it is standard practice, but I haven’t had to reach for the metal levers since I discovered the spray bottle of soapy water.

You may have something there. I have to admit i havent been using that. I will try it put there are always acceptional cases. My beat wrists being one. After zll, i have the levers but im curious now. Thanks for the additional tech.

You should always lube up, especially if you plan to just jam it in there with no finesse.

That’s what she said.

You got it in the wrong HOOOOLE!!!!

Seriously, even if you’re not installing CushCore, watch their install video. The technique is pretty much spot on. Spray bottle of soapy water & trash can & patience.

However many are in a shit ton.

Ill be trying it soon. No cushcore but im going to try that nukeproof liner so ill definitely check that out. Make it as ez as possible. Going to try an ewild on the back with that liner. Ill give the bead a good once over twice before i do the final tubeless install and give that soapy water a go for that final install

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I literally ripped a nearly 1/2" gash into a brand new DD Agressor today that had been on my bike for an hour. I was riding like 80% of top speed too.

I mean I am fucked right? Honestly, I have been Maxxis all day for a long time now, but that may have just lost me as a customer.

Is everyone that rides halfway fast fucking slogging around DH tires everywhere now? Fuck.

Perhaps your line choices are poor? I am far from a beater on a bike, and routinely riding in sharp rocks, and having no such issues with maxxis tires. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Perhaps your line choices are poor? I am far from a beater on a bike, and routinely riding in sharp rocks, and having no such issues with maxxis tires. Just my .02
    It's the local trail I have ridden many times. Yes, it's loose and rocky, but I have ridden the same section of trail way way faster with zero issues in the past.

Was out tonight with a new rider and didn't want to leave him way in the dust, so I was stopping every so often and kinda riding mellow and just enjoying the evening. I have hit rocks way harder with DD tires before and never had an issue. It's like it's a shit batch or something.

I literally ripped a nearly 1/2" gash into a brand new DD Agressor today that had been on my bike for an hour. I was riding like 80% of top speed too.

I mean I am fucked right? Honestly, I have been Maxxis all day for a long time now, but that may have just lost me as a customer.

Is everyone that rides halfway fast fucking slogging around DH tires everywhere now? Fuck.
    There is always the possibility you just had bad luck. Now if you keep doing that to the same brand of tire, but no other, then I’d say it’s the tire.

It's the local trail I have ridden many times. Yes, it's loose and rocky, but I have ridden the same section of trail way way faster with zero issues in the past.

Was out tonight with a new rider and didn't want to leave him way in the dust, so I was stopping every so often and kinda riding mellow and just enjoying the evening. I have hit rocks way harder with DD tires before and never had an issue. It's like it's a shit batch or something.
    Or you just rolled the dice and this time they came up snake eyes. Shit happens.

Isnt there similar posts on that tire on the last few pages?

Or maybe just bad luck. Sometimes shit happens.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Isnt there similar posts on that tire on the last few pages?

That's the only reason I am questioning it. I ran the same exact tire for like 4 months. Multiple races, etc. Maybe upwards of 500 miles. Never had an issue. Destroyed it with a sidewall gash + finishing the stage on the rim/totally flat tire.

Bought the same exact tire today and mounted it up this afternoon. Mellow ride and bam. Destroyed.

It's probably just bad luck, but I was riding pretty slow and have put the same casings through so much more. It was just weird.

I have seen bad batches but chances are you tagged that one rock the wrong way.

Sometimes riding slower is tougher on tires with rocks. Shit you’re normally skipping over you’re smashing into
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Ditto. I’ve been running EXOs for years and have never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Ditto. I’ve been running EXOs for years and have never had an issue.
    When I lived in Tucson I had rocks punch through the tread on a few 27. 5 x 2.3 DHF EXOs. It was very psi dependent. At 24 psi the tires would fat pretty easily. I never got a flat at 26 or more.
    U.P.: up

From what I have seen with my riding buddies the Aggressor is BY FAR the most fragile "gnarly" tire that Maxxis makes. Short knobs give little support to the rest of the carcass. I rode with a guy this weekend on a new Aggressor, made the climb. We turned down and in under 100m he had a 1/2" gash. We were able to get him out, but the tire was already ruined. He now runs a DHR.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

WG: sidewall tear or tread? I actually wonder whether DD extra weight gives proportionately as much extra durability. Seems like you’d be better off with EXO + CushCore than standalone DD for similar weight.

P.S. you were probably just unlucky.

However many are in a shit ton.