Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 525 of 841
  1. #501
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    <snip> DHR2 MaxxTerra has to grip/brake better in the wet than HR2 single compound right?
    Couldn't really get much worse.

  2. #502
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,272
    So how's the DHF on wet roots?

  3. #503
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    So how's the DHF on wet roots?
    No idea. Nothing is ever wet here.

  4. #504
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    9,141
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    So how's the DHF on wet roots?
    Fine for climbing. Downhill / at speed IME nothing is good on wet roots and it's all about technique / line choice and not sliding at an angle on them.

  5. #505
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,272
    Well my trails have sloped roots all over. Sometimes it even goes between two trees that are handle bar apart, with angled roots in between. The Conti blackchilly sticks no issues. Sidewall is vague but damn the rubber is grippy.

  6. #506
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    7,196
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Well my trails have sloped roots all over. Sometimes it even goes between two trees that are handle bar apart, with angled roots in between. The Conti blackchilly sticks no issues. Sidewall is vague but damn the rubber is grippy.
    The better conti tires are about as good on wet roots as it gets, I think. And I think it has more to do with the high tpi casing than the rubber compound. The downside is the casings fail with regularity.

    I'd say a maxxgrip dhf in an exo casing is substantially better than average on wet roots, but not class leading by any means.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  7. #507
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Wilds of Maine
    Posts
    2,532
    Anybody ridden a Vittoria Morsa? Rode an Aggressor last season in the back, which worked pretty well, but the cornering knobs were not as aggro as I would have liked. Kind of thinking the Morsa or Trail Boss would be comparable mid-tread options that roll fast.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

    Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

  8. #508
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,088
    I just sent you a few messages about the morsa. They roll fast but do not grip. I couldn't get the TNT casing to work for me, either get grip and flat a ton, or run high pressure and have some fun skittery turns.

    The cornering knobs are much smaller in person than you'd think.

  9. #509
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Da Siskiyous
    Posts
    1,295
    WTB Riddler has generous cornering knobs. Fast-rolling and grippy center tread. Can also run it in the front (that's how nice the cornering knobs are). Would ride that over a Trail Boss or Morsa.

    Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    Anybody ridden a Vittoria Morsa? Rode an Aggressor last season in the back, which worked pretty well, but the cornering knobs were not as aggro as I would have liked. Kind of thinking the Morsa or Trail Boss would be comparable mid-tread options that roll fast.
    Collectively Enlightened...

    The greatest effort is not concerned with results.

  10. #510
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Wilds of Maine
    Posts
    2,532
    Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post
    WTB Riddler has generous cornering knobs. Fast-rolling and grippy center tread. Can also run it in the front (that's how nice the cornering knobs are). Would ride that over a Trail Boss or Morsa.
    The semi slicks are my jam generally but I have found I need more knobs in the middle for the climbs out east. Is it much different than the rock razor/minion SS?

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using TGR Forums mobile app
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

    Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

  11. #511
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    The semi slicks are my jam generally but I have found I need more knobs in the middle for the climbs out east. Is it much different than the rock razor/minion SS?

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using TGR Forums mobile app
    Curious which Rock Razor you used. I ran both the pacestar and trailstar versions in the fall and the trailstar was noticeably grippier and worked really well even once things got leafy...though fore/aft balance was critical at times to manage traction. Or a Bontrager XR3 or XR4 (depending how much grip you require) is a solid all-rounder for the east coast.

  12. #512
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353
    I may try out the Onza Aquila in a folding bead when it comes out mid summer. Doubt I could tell the difference between it and a DHF, but may give it a shot. Looks promising.

  13. #513
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    So how's the DHF on wet roots?
    Real ballers run a MaxxGrip or Super Tacky 42a DHF in the front.

  14. #514
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Yeah it's gotta be 60a I guess? They don't publish durometer on the HR2 single compound it seems.

    DHF WT MaxxGrip arrives tomorrow. Yay. Debated grabbing a 27.5x2.4 WT DHR2 MaxxTerra for the rear but I will give the HR2 a shot... and just avoid riding any wet rock/wood that requires anything other than straight line braking haha. DHR2 MaxxTerra has to grip/brake better in the wet than HR2 single compound right?
    Pick up that DHR2 MaxxTerra when you get a chance, it's definitely the way to go with a MaxxGrip front.

  15. #515
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Wilds of Maine
    Posts
    2,532
    Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Curious which Rock Razor you used. I ran both the pacestar and trailstar versions in the fall and the trailstar was noticeably grippier and worked really well even once things got leafy...though fore/aft balance was critical at times to manage traction. Or a Bontrager XR3 or XR4 (depending how much grip you require) is a solid all-rounder for the east coast.
    Not sure... pretty sure it was the Pacestar? I would almost consider going back to that tire -- it was noticeably better than the Minion SS I first was rolling when I came back east -- but it was almost the need to be super precise with the fore/aft balance that made me want to get on a meatier center tread. I tend to climb out of the saddle around here unless it's super smooth and not steep (seemingly rare), and so it's nice to have something I don't have to be conciously trying to weight as much.

    Bontrager is not a brand I would have ever thought of, but the XR4 looks interesting. Smaller side knobs than I'd want though....

    Found the Trail Boss from ze Germans for under $50: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...0aAn54EALw_wcB

    Any idea on clearance for these bad boys? I was able to fit a 2.3" Magic Mary in the back of my Following, so...

    Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    I may try out the Onza Aquila in a folding bead when it comes out mid summer. Doubt I could tell the difference between it and a DHF, but may give it a shot. Looks promising.
    I tried the Ibex on the BMC test bikes we had when I had my cool job. Loved the tread although we flatted about a million times with their lighter compound.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

    Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

  16. #516
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353
    Good to know, thanks. Hope the Aquila trail tire casing is similar to an EXO, I honestly havenít looked into it very far.

  17. #517
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Honeycomb Hideout
    Posts
    338
    These babies rip nicely. Same rubber on both hoops. First time riding on Bontrager tread and no complaints with this particular tire. I've got them on both of my mountain bikes. I've always liked the triple compound tires on any any tire.
    Attachment 225008
    Attachment 225009
    Attachment 225010

  18. #518
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Da Siskiyous
    Posts
    1,295
    It isn't much different, but it seems that the middle knobs are a bit taller than the RRazor and Minion SS. I've ridden all three and prefer the Riddler as things get damp, with the Minion SS a close second. For climbing traction, unfortunately, I think all the SS tires are poor compared to their non-SS counterparts.

    I'm just starting to put the Riddler through the wringer, but so far so good. We'll see as it starts to wear a bit...

    Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    The semi slicks are my jam generally but I have found I need more knobs in the middle for the climbs out east. Is it much different than the rock razor/minion SS?

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using TGR Forums mobile app
    Collectively Enlightened...

    The greatest effort is not concerned with results.

  19. #519
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    7,196
    Any discussion of the Minion SS should probably note which version of it you're referring to. Maxxis changed it about a year ago, but there's plenty of the old version still kicking around. They look similar, but ride noticeably different. Newer version has slightly smaller side knobs that are spaced closer together.

    Riddler rolls faster and climbs better than the (new) SS, but the SS blows it out of the water in terms of cornering traction.

  20. #520
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    2,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Pick up that DHR2 MaxxTerra when you get a chance, it's definitely the way to go with a MaxxGrip front.
    Definitely leaning that way. The DHF WT MaxxGrip up front has been awesome, huge upgrade for winter riding from the single compound HRII. Still running that HRII out back and yeah, braking on wet wood/rocks/roots is no bueno, lots of sliding. I love the DHR2 DH casing on the back of my DH bike, anchors so well.

  21. #521
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Definitely leaning that way. The DHF WT MaxxGrip up front has been awesome, huge upgrade for winter riding from the single compound HRII. Still running that HRII out back and yeah, braking on wet wood/rocks/roots is no bueno, lots of sliding.
    Yeah - that single compound HRII really sucks...

  22. #522
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huh?
    Posts
    10,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    I just sent you a few messages about the morsa. They roll fast but do not grip. I couldn't get the TNT casing to work for me, either get grip and flat a ton, or run high pressure and have some fun skittery turns.

    The cornering knobs are much smaller in person than you'd think.
    I've found that the Morsas need a little break in. I wasn't digging them on the first couple of rides but now I really like them. I'm guessing they're like a car tire, shit for the first few miles until you rough them up a little.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

  23. #523
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Definitely leaning that way. The DHF WT MaxxGrip up front has been awesome, huge upgrade for winter riding from the single compound HRII. Still running that HRII out back and yeah, braking on wet wood/rocks/roots is no bueno, lots of sliding. I love the DHR2 DH casing on the back of my DH bike, anchors so well.
    Do the MaxxTerra DHR2 EXO or DD as soon as you can then, its a whole new world with a softer compound in the rear, not just braking but cornering and climbing too. It actually rolls better than you would think if you run a reasonable pressure, and wears well if you don't skid it all over the place or ride tons of rock/pavement/etc. Totally worth it especially if riding all around wet conditions.

  24. #524
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    2,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Do the MaxxTerra DHR2 EXO or DD as soon as you can then, its a whole new world with a softer compound in the rear, not just braking but cornering and climbing too. It actually rolls better than you would think if you run a reasonable pressure, and wears well if you don't skid it all over the place or ride tons of rock/pavement/etc. Totally worth it especially if riding all around wet conditions.
    Does the DHR II come in DD on the 27.5x2.4WT size? On Maxxis' website, JensonUSA etc. I can only see 27.5x2.4WT in EXO (dual compound or 3C MaxxTerra). DD only seems to be in 27.5x2.3 -- is that significantly narrower than my DHF 2.5WT up front? Wonder how it would compare in width to my current HR II EXO Single compound out back.

    Might just go with the 2.4WT EXO MaxTerra out back. Have had pretty good success with EXO casing even though I'm heavy (210lbs). Usually run 28-30psi in the back so not much folding and there isn't much tire slicing terrain where I am usually trail riding.

  25. #525
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Does the DHR II come in DD on the 27.5x2.4WT size? On Maxxis' website, JensonUSA etc. I can only see 27.5x2.4WT in EXO (dual compound or 3C MaxxTerra). DD only seems to be in 27.5x2.3 -- is that significantly narrower than my DHF 2.5WT up front? Wonder how it would compare in width to my current HR II EXO Single compound out back.

    Might just go with the 2.4WT EXO MaxTerra out back. Have had pretty good success with EXO casing even though I'm heavy (210lbs). Usually run 28-30psi in the back so not much folding and there isn't much tire slicing terrain where I am usually trail riding.

    You're right, I don't see a 2.4 DD either, nor do I know if one is going to be released. The 2.3" is literally about .1" smaller at the casing, or 2.5mm less - noticeably smaller but not huge difference. I'd say the 2.3 DD is good if you ride super fast through rocks, plenty of people use them for enduro racing with a 2.5 in the front. The 2.4 EXO is better for softer terrain and/or technical riding with less abuse. Big weight difference. I personally just use an EXO in the rear on a suspension bike with reasonable pressure without any problems, but I'm not abusive.

    Also consider a Huck Norris insert in the rear, they are about 75g, help prevent snakebite damage, and can be had for $30 each on ebay. I just got one to run on a hardtail in the rear. Yeah it's just foam, but it's the right kind of really nice high quality foam cut into the correct shape.
    Last edited by Jonny Snow; 02-23-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •