Page 95 of 167 FirstFirst ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 4157

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

PSI heavily dependent on tire volume as well.

Stating what psi you run doesn’t mean anything unless you say what tire you’re running and can really only be compared against the same tire on the same diameter rim as another person. Basic pressure physics.
    Last edited by Falcon3; 02-01-2021 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    23psi? Wow, that’s low.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I’m on the Shore. Even our fast trails aren’t that fast. But yeah, clearly too low.

26 psi with Double Down feels good in the rear to me, but I guess the DH casing has a stiffer feel, so I was getting rattled at 26 psi.

I’m about 170 lbs.

I can see dropping pressures when most of what you ride is lower speed tech on constantly wet roots.
    And yea, i get that 23 psi in a 2.8” 29er DH tire is gonna be different from a 2.35” 26er xc tire.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    PSI heavily dependent on tire volume as well.

Stating what psi you run doesn’t mean anything unless you say what tire you’re running and can really only be compared against the same tire on the same diameter rim as another person. Basic pressure physics.
    We're talking about DH casings here, so that pretty much means 2.5 front, 2.4 rear. At least for Minions, they don't offer a DH casing in any other size. Per physics, 27.5 vs. 29 will matter due to the differences in volume. Per the real world, there's not a huge difference in the pressures that you can run in either wheel size, and changes to the tire construction (i.e. DH casing vs. DD vs. Exo) make a much, much larger difference.

I never run more than 24-25lbs. Yesterday in the thin snow I was probably around 17-18lbs per my thumb press. On average I probably run it at 20-22lbs on both my 29er and 650B. DHF and DHR exo. I haven't run DD yet. My weight is all over the place, but all in with gear I'm probably 175-185lbs over the years. I'm not fast compared to the kids I ride with, I ride tech rocky rooty sharky stuff. The traction is great. Highland park was when I ran it at 25lbs. I usually blow one or two sidewalls a year and that is typically a poor line choice, but sometimes just shit luck.

NO, the pressure I run is right, everyone else is crazy!

How much I weigh, what tires I have, where and how I ride, what pressure gauge I'm using? Irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    NO, the pressure I run is right, everyone else is crazy!

How much I weigh, what tires I have, where and how I ride, what pressure gauge I'm using? Irrelevant.
    Or, welcome to MTBR.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I was probably around 17-18lbs per my thumb press.
    Good on ya. I just plain doesn't work for me. My buddies who thumb press are so inconsistent with their pressures, but mostly it's a split between the ones running chronically too low and blowing up wheels versus the one's running rock hard tires and complaining all day about traction and suspension but insisting the pressure is spot on. Both types have a heavy reliance on the gauges on their shitty floor pumps.

Some people are just aloof about their gear and that’s okay. But when that guy texts me midwinter asking to go skinning together ... “sorry bud, I’ve got plans, hit me up again in the spring!”

I’m totally with you- I bought a 1.2 gallon compact air compressor and put a trigger pull chuck with universal Schrader/presta valve lead and digital gauge on that thing ... so convenient to air up the exact pressure I want right before I leave - for the bikes and the car.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Tire pressure gages vary like crazy from to the next. I have three handheld gauges (Topeak Digital and two analogue handheld gauges). None of them read the same, even though the handheld gauges are from the same company. At 20psi on the digital model, my floor pump is reading 35psi and the two analogue gauges are somewhere like 24 and 26. There is also the factor of gummed up valve stems which can mess up accurate readings.

Point being... the people on this thread saying they run 18 psi might actually be running the same pressure as people saying they run 29 psi. It’s like giving people improperly printed rulers then asking them to argue about how long something is. Consistency of your equipment and how you measure matters. I go by the floor pump so I can tell people I need to run at least 35 psi or I rip tires off rims.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Tire pressure gages vary like crazy from to the next. I have three handheld gauges (Topeak Digital and two analogue handheld gauges). None of them read the same, even though the handheld gauges are from the same company. At 20psi on the digital model, my floor pump is reading 35psi and the two analogue gauges are somewhere like 24 and 26. There is also the factor of gummed up valve stems which can mess up accurate readings.

Point being... the people on this thread saying they run 18 psi might actually be running the same pressure as people saying they run 29 psi. It’s like giving people improperly printed rulers then asking them to argue about how long something is. Consistency of your equipment and how you measure matters. I go by the floor pump so I can tell people I need to run at least 35 psi or I rip tires off rims.
    Every time you plug in gauge it takes some air volume to spin that gauge and show you a reading.... That pressure drop might be as high as 2-5psi....

I believe most gauges are more accurate than you let on. Obviously your floor pump is fucked up though...

My process: I drive to the trail head so I pump up the tires to 40psi before I leave the garage. I use a analogue gauge to drop them down to my riding pressure 23-25psi at the trailhead. Every time I plug in my analogue gauge at the trailhead, it’s at 35psi. Is my floor pump 5psi off? No. I lose some pressure removing the pump head. I lose some pressure spinning the presta closed in the garage and opening the presta at the trailhead. And most of all I lose a few PSI when I plug in the gauge at the trailhead and it has to move that needle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Take a measurement, take the gauge off, and then take another one. The difference is the amount you lose doing that. I have to stick my topeak on, take it off, and do it again multiple times to get a 1psi drop with mtb tires. And all of the loss is happening when you put the gauge/pump on the valve, not when you remove it.

My procedure though is to fill with the pump to about the right spot, then use the vent button on the gauge to lower pressure to what I want. Definitely not losing anything there. And if your presta valve core is leaking before you tighten it down you should replace it.

Anyway, yeah, fill it by feel if you want but I think it's worthwhile to use a gauge. Going out and riding and feeling your tires and knowing they're at 25psi or whatever, and then riding at a different pressure, and feeling what those differences do, is really helpful in getting your bike setup figured out and improving confidence. I used to always be second guessing myself, now I know exactly how my tires are going to feel and perform.
    Last edited by jamal; 02-09-2021 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Take a measurement, and then take another one. The difference is the amount you lose doing that. I have to stick my topeak on, take it off, and do it again multiple times to get a 1psi drop with mtb tires.
    I use an SKS digi gauge and my results are similar. It seems to be accurate (relative) to .5psi.

Accuracy of gauges only really matters if you're blogging about tire pressure on the internet. Otherwise, as long as your gauge is consistent, just go with whatever works for you. Gauge says 50psi but you get good traction and don't get flats? Great. Run 50psi. The number is wrong, but it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I use an SKS digi gauge and my results are similar. It seems to be accurate (relative) to .5psi.
    “Precise” is the word you are looking for.

I don’t think my gauge is going to be NIST, but it’s at least within +/- 2 psi of other gauges I’ve used, and yeah that’s all that matters to me - accuracy in the ballpark but consistent and precise to 0.5 psi.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Force AM2= I just threw up into my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Force AM2= I just threw up into my hand.

I thought it was a nice design for its intended purpose. Fast rolling but it does have side knobs like the dh22. Weights look like theyll slot in their tire line up nicely.
    Still i'd probably be more apt to buy the wild am2. Basically a lighter dh34 and a 2.6 option. Think ill put a 29 x 2.6 on the front of my meta. My dh34's have been really good in both "bike park" casing and "dh"(yellow sidewall stripe)casing. Hopefully they make a dh casing 29 x 2.6 dh34. That tire rips
    And i was about to get on schwalbe and/or vee tire

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

why would one choose a dissector over a DHR ii?

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post

You prefer squirmy tires

One likes tires that wear out in 2 weeks.

Weight and rolling resistance?

(but in reality, I'm with Andeh, I'd personally never choose a Dissector for anything)

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    You prefer squirmy tires

Man I thought it was just me. One came on the back of my trance x. I'll run it till its dead, but I feel the squirm on hardpack like a mofo. I normally run an aggressor rear fwiw.

Maxis Recon? I've never used them but they look OK. They're on the bike I just bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Maxis Recon? I've never used them but they look OK. They're on the bike I just bought.
    One of the worst tires I’ve ever had. Exploded in about 12 rides.
    You should have been here yesterday!