Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 85 86 87 88 89 90
Results 2,226 to 2,245 of 2245
  1. #2226
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Anyone riding 29+ and have recommendations? Currently on the surly dirt wizards that came with the Krampus and theyíre approaching the end of life. Also looking for a 29+ tire to do some late fall/winter riding with. On Vancouver island with the local trails primarily featuring dirt and plenty of roots with only a smattering of rideable rock.
    Maxxis is making the Rekon in 29x2.8 now. Also worth checking out the Terravail Coronado, which comes in 29x2.8 as well.
    Pretty sure Bontrager is still making a 29x3 XR4 too.

    Unfortunately, there arenít many options out there for 29+ tires. Hopefully the remaining options stick around for the foreseeable future, because 29+ is pretty damn fun.

  2. #2227
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    1,660
    Just put on the autumn shoes

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1540.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	343055

  3. #2228
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snowmass
    Posts
    406
    Going to give the Assegai a go up front. Not off to a great start. First time in my life i couldnt get a tire setup with a hand pump, thankfully the compressor snapped it right into place.


    IMO all that latex means I'm now running an exclusive 4C compound.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  4. #2229
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    7,458

    New Season, New Tires, New Thread

    Vittoria has had 4c for a while now though, when I over-latex my Mazza next June Iím gonna be running 5c!!!!




    But really, you know ... with a compressor you can wait to add latex AFTER the thing is snapped in place. Iíve never put latex in until I was sure the thing was sealed and holding air. Do you not have a cheapo $5 syringe with flexible hose, and a valve core tool???
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  5. #2230
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,924
    That photo is gonna give me nightmares

  6. #2231
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    7,458
    So I'll beat a dead horse here since #noonecares and #fuckspecialized and all that ...

    But for shoulder season riding on clay-mix soils (clay-loam and clay-silt/sand in Western Oregon), I keep loving how the Specialized Butcher handles on moist but firm, softish, wet slick on hard, semi-greasy on semi-firm conditions we get during shoulder seasons. Running 29 x 2.6 (35mm IW) on the hardtail both front and back, it has a small sweet spot for PSI as below 23 psi feels slow and not totally supportive through corners (but good grip) and above 26 psi has great support and roll but sacrifices some wet grip. Running like 24F/26R or 23F/25R seems to hit the sweet spot - not draggy, awesome awesome bite when leaned over, predictable braking drift and drift/snap cornering in the back. It does bite wet soft clay much better than most tires though so rear drifts have to be forced more than on other rear tires I've used in these conditions. There's a minor bit of a soft zone on the 2.6 but it really doesn't feel like a "dead zone" at all, more like when you are in it you think you're at the traction limit - and then if you lean and push even harder you get a microslide then a solid bite with way more traction.

    For my Bronson I'm gonna run 27.5 x 2.6F and 2.3R Butcher Grid for the rest of shoulder season, and see if that combo works as well as 2.6F/R on my hardtail.
    When it's true winter here come late November I'm gonna run my hardtail with 29 x 2.6 Hillbilly Grid Front and 2.6 Butcher Grid rear and the Bronson will stay in the basement.
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  7. #2232
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    Going to give the Assegai a go up front. Not off to a great start. First time in my life i couldnt get a tire setup with a hand pump, thankfully the compressor snapped it right into place.


    IMO all that latex means I'm now running an exclusive 4C compound.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I always like to seat the tire with no sealant and just soapy water first (if needed), helps avoid the mess of sealant everywhere. Then I inject the sealant in through the valve, or drop a small section of the bead and pour it in.

  8. #2233
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snowmass
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post

    But really, you know ... with a compressor you can wait to add latex AFTER the thing is snapped in place. Iíve never put latex in until I was sure the thing was sealed and holding air. Do you not have a cheapo $5 syringe with flexible hose, and a valve core tool???
    I've never needed the compressor so I usually just rely on the sealant to help the bead slide into place when I hit with my floor pump. Dozens and dozens of similar maxxis tires on these wheels and this is literally the first time I've spilled sealant more than a thimble of sealant. I don't keep a compressor in the garage, used on-board air my truck to get the job done.

  9. #2234
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    5,770
    Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    I always like to seat the tire with no sealant and just soapy water first (if needed), helps avoid the mess of sealant everywhere. Then I inject the sealant in through the valve, or drop a small section of the bead and pour it in.
    Yep - this has been my method. I've been fortunate to have *mostly* tires that have mounted up super-easily. Though there was that one WTB... that fucking blew right off the rim during the "drop a small section of the bead" and inflate to seat. God that was a fucking mess.

  10. #2235
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    4,990
    Iíve spilled so much fucking Stans on so many floors convincing myself the tire will set up easy on the first go. Fuck that. Blast that shit open without sealan first, seat the bead with a crack, pull core, add sealant, reinflate, bounce it around like a basketball. Every time.
    Getting the Airshot Inflator made it way easier than breaking out the air compressor. Adding the Ryobi 18v inflator you the mix made it even easier.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  11. #2236
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    10,817
    Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    I've never needed the compressor so I usually just rely on the sealant to help the bead slide into place when I hit with my floor pump. Dozens and dozens of similar maxxis tires on these wheels and this is literally the first time I've spilled sealant more than a thimble of sealant. I don't keep a compressor in the garage, used on-board air my truck to get the job done.
    I'm not here to poke fun, but I got my assegai to seat up with a floor pump, sealant in..... with that fracture in my shoulder! :P

    But... now, I've jinxed doing it the same way you do the last 10 times...

  12. #2237
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yep - this has been my method. I've been fortunate to have *mostly* tires that have mounted up super-easily. Though there was that one WTB... that fucking blew right off the rim during the "drop a small section of the bead" and inflate to seat. God that was a fucking mess.
    I wish Iíd saved some forum photos from 10-15 years ago when tubeless was Stanís and DIY ghetto. I remember seeing some epic explosions.

  13. #2238
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I wish I’d saved some forum photos from 10-15 years ago when tubeless was Stan’s and DIY ghetto. I remember seeing some epic explosions.
    I don't need photos; I still have spots of dried latex all over the ceiling of my shop! But yeah, we've come a long way from ghetto.

  14. #2239
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cuntecticut
    Posts
    1,639
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Anyone riding 29+ and have recommendations? Currently on the surly dirt wizards that came with the Krampus and theyíre approaching the end of life. Also looking for a 29+ tire to do some late fall/winter riding with. On Vancouver island with the local trails primarily featuring dirt and plenty of roots with only a smattering of rideable rock.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I just picked up a 29x3 DHRII for the front of my fatbike/plus hardtail. Is nice. Only experience with the Dirt Wizard was an older 26x2.6 version that was not great. Obviously it's heavy and not super fast, but my one ride on it so far left me with a good impression. 27.5x2.8 Magic Mary on the back.

    More tire than I want on the daily driver bike, but for a bike like this it's perfect.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1260.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	913.2 KB 
ID:	343357
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  15. #2240
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,436
    Anyone have any time on the new Specialized tires yet? If the T9 compound is legitimately Maxx-Grip soft, the Grid Trail versions will be nice options for those looking for light, soft rubber tires.

  16. #2241
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    7,458
    The brand new Hillbilly and Butcher fires I got yesterday arenít marked T9 ... and Iíve never used MaxxGrip, so I wonít be able to help ya there ...
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  17. #2242
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,899
    Specialized: Ok, we came out with some good tires, let's fuck them up!
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  18. #2243
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    4,990
    Specialized old rubber feels a lot like MaxxTerra to me. Something stickier up front would be a nice option.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  19. #2244
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    7,458
    Just squeezing tread blocks with my fingers, Spesh Gripton is without question firmer overall durometer than MaxTerra.

    But I dunno if its the siping, the block design or the difference in polymer chemistry - Gripton grips actual soil really damn well. I canít really say much about grip on roots or rocks relative to 3C MT because I donít have trails here with copious challenging smooth wet or dust on top of roots/rocks to have a clear sense of difference in performance.

    I am curious how T9 Gripton performs relative to regular Gripton.

    Hopefully Iíve been pretty clear about the conditions under which I like the Butcher so much more than the MT DHF: wet clay-mix soils, mixed loose, and loose deep (dry or wet).
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  20. #2245
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Mid-tomahawk
    Posts
    735
    The older Gripton was pretty terrible on wet roots. Hoping they've improved it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •