Page 8 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    It's below average easily. There's only 2 or 3 that I can think of that might not be as good and that would be the only real debate. Onzas , Hutchinson and a couple other obscure Dh tires. Lot of hype associated with cst/maxxis tires. There's other options. They have a few decent tires and lots of categories covered I'll give them that
    Well see, now I'm just skeptical of your bicycle and ski opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by One Sentence View Post
    Well see, now I'm just skeptical of your bicycle and ski opinions.
    Well that's your personal opinion. Obviously, completely asinine
    Well you've heard my reviews. I have no reason to pick one brand over another other than quality and personal experience . Just a rider that paid for and used a lot of tires. The wild rockr2 has left me smiling after a number of rides now. It's been a game/ride changer and has me questioning why tire and rubber design isn't more like them.How about you? What tires are you running? Impressions? Are you shop rat, owner, spancered, or maybe industry schill? You criticize me but we hear nothing from you on treads. Is your tongue tied by "one sentence "? Do you even drift bro? I bet you measure your manuals in pedal strokes
    #trollin4treads
    #onewordhack
    #tiregameweakjustinsults

Hold your cards a little closer - you're showing your hand.
    Whatever that means.
    It means I believe there is a very strong possibility that you are a total hack.

#onesentencenoclue

Troll away poser

Hold your cards a little closer - you're showing your hand.
    #onesentencenoclue

Troll away poser
    Take it easy on the pound signs and concentrate more on your spelling, it's "poseur."

Poser hiding in anonymity

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    I've always been interested in the trail/mountain kings as a rear tire. Do they really fall apart by looking at sharp rocks or is this in fact an internet tough guy rumor?
    Lots of people have problems with conti, not me! I replaced mine due to tread wear, always loved how big the 2.4 was, but when it was time to replace them maxxis is much easier to find a good deal! I was using the protection+apex and rode about 700mi and not a single flat, I'm 160 ready to ride so not a big guy

New tyre day last month:

I've been on a 2.35 Magic Mary Snakeskin front and DHR2 EXO 2.4 rear so far this summer. I love them ...but with my bike set up the best it ever has been and my confidence ever growing I've found myself picking more direct lines through Chamonix's rough stuff lately and have had a few small holes in the rear, so might move up to something a little heavier in the rear next.

Maxxis's new Double Down casing seems to add about 200g over EXO but is currently only available in the Aggressor 2.3 (not sure about that tread in the wet) or DHF 2.5 Supertacky (won't last long here). 2.3 DHF & DHR2 are meant to be coming in DD soon but I don't really like Maxxis's 2.3 volume & tread depth. If there was a 2.4 DHR2 DD or maybe Aggressor I'd be all over them. So what else should I be looking at for 1000-1150g aggressive rear tyres?

I've tried Schwalbe Snakeskin Pacestar casings in the rear in the past (Hans Dampf & Nobby Nic 2.35) but found the tread just OK and they wore out quickly so not sure about anything from Schwalbe even in Supergravity casing. I've never paid attention to WTB's range. Vigilante? Trail Boss? The new Convict? It's hard to tell how deep the tread is on those from pictures. I guess their widths are true to size, and from the spec sheet the TCS Light casing would be comparable to Maxxis EXO and TCS Tough comparable to Maxxis Doubledown or Schwalbe Supergravity casings?
    Last edited by LC; 07-12-2016 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    I've tried Schwalbe Snakeskin Trailstar casings in the rear in the past (Hans Dampf & Nobby Nic 2.35) but found the tread just OK and they wore out quickly so not sure about anything from Schwalbe even in Supergravity casing. I've never paid attention to WTB's range. Vigilante? Trail Boss? The new Convict? It's hard to tell how deep the tread is on those from pictures. I guess their widths are true to size, and from the spec sheet the TCS Light casing would be comparable to Maxxis EXO and TCS Tough comparable to Maxxis Doubledown or Schwalbe Supergravity casings?
    WTB's TCS light is lighter than an Exo, but TCS Tough is comparable to the Doubledown, or maybe even a bit burlier. Haven't tried the Convict yet, but the Vigilante is kinda like a less sucky Nevegal, and the Trail Boss is more of a fast rolling, less traction kinda tire - the knobs aren't that tall, and they're pretty closely spaced.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    WTB's TCS light is lighter than an Exo, but TCS Tough is comparable to the Doubledown, or maybe even a bit burlier. Haven't tried the Convict yet, but the Vigilante is kinda like a less sucky Nevegal, and the Trail Boss is more of a fast rolling, less traction kinda tire - the knobs aren't that tall, and they're pretty closely spaced.
    Helpful, thanks. I'll try to check some out in the flesh and have a feel.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Helpful, thanks. I'll try to check some out in the flesh and have a feel.
    My evil had vigilantes front and back. They're okay. Decent on wear but just super Drifty compared to anything else you've thought of. Good braking traction in a straight line. Could be a decent rear option if you already have a MM up front.

Running MM front HD rear both supergravity. Front is fine. HD got one hole in the tread that patched up and top knobs are wearing pretty fast after a month of use. We've had some serious moon dust though of late and that MM still hooks up like a baws!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

This thread is kinda goofy if you're not talking about terrain and conditions, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    This thread is kinda goofy if you're not talking about terrain and conditions, eh?
    or how good of a rider they are, etc. etc.

Everyone's opinions here is generally a crap shoot. Exceptions are Kidwoo, but he's too picky (but probably right on his preferences), Toast seems like he has a clue but I don't want to take a chance on all the tires he tries that I've never heard of, and if joetron recommends a tire, I'll probably by it. Sorry if I missed anyone else who knows what they are talking about, not gonna read 7 pages to cover everyone.....One Sentence may have a clue too, ha.

Edit to say: I'm trying to glean some info here, based on my terrain (I don't need a muddy tire like Whislter peeps for example), and who i *think* knows what they are talking about. But I'm guessing. If I was an expert, I wouldn't need advice! There are a lot of experts here, I think? Not grinch though.
    Last edited by muted; 07-11-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Oh brother/laughable

Ah jeez I've been called our again. Don!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Funny how the first few pages showed a lot of love for the HRII and the last few pages make it sound like cancer for bikes. YMMV.
    FWIW, I've been riding "with" some pros this summer and the HRII is popular with them. But then again, maybe they don't have access to the innerwebz? Or maybe they can do things with a tire that I can't do.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I've been riding a 2.4 HRII on the front of my trailduro bike for the past 2.5 years. Was not terrible.

A little too drifty/squirmy at times, but I wouldn't blame it for any crashes. Now that 27b 2.5 DHFs are readily available, thats back on the front of my bike and I realized that I did miss its grip and predictability.

HRII apparently didn't work for Grinch and his bros on their DH bikes, and now he loves that Michelin so much he wants to marry it.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    I've been riding a 2.4 HRII on the front of my trailduro bike for the past 2.5 years. Was not terrible.

A little too drifty/squirmy at times, but I wouldn't blame it for any crashes. Now that 27b 2.5 DHFs are readily available, thats back on the front of my bike and I realized that I did miss its grip and predictability.

HRII apparently didn't work for Grinch and his bros on their DH bikes, and now he loves that Michelin so much he wants to marry it.
    I appreciate the honesty. Fwiw most times I'm on my trail/endurobro bike. We just put them on the Dh bikes recently(mine just for park jump trails and a buddy's because he hated the hr2). Chances are ,at some point,we'll need 2ply Dh casing tires for the local shuttle trails(steep,loose,rough/rocky/rooty). Have you tried a wr2?

You went from SS to DHR in the rear, I'm thinking of the opposite as I've been riding a DHR in the rear all season and want a zippier bike. DHF is much better with the moondust PC conditions though?

Have not tried a WR2. Not a lot of Michelin love around these parts, so they are hard to find at shops, but if the need and opportunity presented itself, I'd give'r a go.

A lot of shops around here soured on their quick to dry-rot road tires and nobody has a problem selling Maxxis and specialized rubber.

since this is a tire thread... I have a DHF that I bought last year, and am about to replace my rear tire (a Conti MK maybe?). Already have a DHF front and love it. My question is simple: is there a preferred direction to the DHF as a rear tire?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Danno, get a DHR II.

Yeah man, Minion SS is not the tire for the summer dust. It was great in the spring and early June. The past few summers, I've loved Ardent 2.25 or sometimes 2.4 on the rear...but I'm in the minority that does not constantly punch holes in that tire. I had a bad weekend on the 26" version during a Durango BME a few years ago, but I've good luck around here on the 27.5. It does not have that locked in carve of the SS when fully leaned, but the tread and rounder profile make the bike super quick side to side when leaning the bike back and forth through turns.

I have mildly used SS you could try if you really want to..but I'd wait till fall when the dust goes away and Moab trips start happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Danno, get a DHR II.
    apparently you missed the part where I said I already had a DHF.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Have not tried a WR2. Not a lot of Michelin love around these parts, so they are hard to find at shops, but if the need and opportunity presented itself, I'd give'r a go.

A lot of shops around here soured on their quick to dry-rot road tires and nobody has a problem selling Maxxis and specialized rubber.
    Ya same up here. Don't see them much. I suspect that'll be changing soon, especially when the full Dh casing one gets released as well as Cam Zink pushing them.Lucked into them . Buddy had fond memories of Michelin back when they were "the" tire and he was looking for something new and liked the look. I eventually gave them a try after hearing him praise it for a few months. I have 4 of them now on different wheels. Can't see going backwards now(maxxis/specialized in my opinion) but I'd like to try some wtb offerings and the e13 and more swalbe but I don't think I'll be happy with the wear on swalbe