Page 77 of 165 FirstFirst ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 4122
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Never thought of running a DHRII in the front as opposed to a DHF but several of you seem to like it. Personal preference? Works better than DHF?
    Brakes better. Rolls slower. A little less "on/off" feeling in corners, but slightly less cornering grip at its limit.

I used to run dhr2 front and rear on the dh bike just to save money on tires. Wear out the rear, swap the front tire to the back, put a freshy on the front. That only works if you're running the same size / casing / compound front and rear.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Brakes better. Rolls slower. A little less "on/off" feeling in corners, but slightly less cornering grip at its limit
    Yep, that.

Trimming ~1mm off the outside of the wider center knobs makes the cornering feel a lot more like a DHF without compromising the braking much, but I'm mostly too lazy to bother.

Anyone ever try goodyear tires. Newton looks pretty sweet. 3 weights in 2.4 or 2.6 and all those options in 27.5 or 29.

https://www.goodyearbike.com/product-page/newton

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Anyone ever try goodyear tires. Newton looks pretty sweet. 3 weights in 2.4 or 2.6 and all those options in 27.5 or 29.

https://www.goodyearbike.com/product-page/newton

No personal experience, but I have a friend with a pair. He likes them. That’s all I got.

Initial impressions of the new Kenda Pinner are positive. That’s despite putting two plugs in the rear tire on my first ride. I’m starting to accept that I can’t use trail tires anymore.

are you guys not soaking your tires in milk of magnesia the night before rides? only thing that explains all these EXO and trail casing issues

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    No personal experience, but I have a friend with a pair. He likes them. That’s all I got.

Initial impressions of the new Kenda Pinner are positive. That’s despite putting two plugs in the rear tire on my first ride. I’m starting to accept that I can’t use trail tires anymore.
    Ok thats a start. Thanks.. only one other report ive seen and it was a chainreaction customer review that mentions knobs ripping off on the dh casing newton after only a couple rides. I like the sizing, weight and pattern but im hesitant to stray from michelin quality despite the size gaps. Hopefully hear more on them.

I just looked at the pinners. I guess you had the atc? That would put that in the dxo+ category. Ive heard similar stories on punctures with exo+ in rocky terrain. I hope you werent on the 1300g acg pinner. That wouldnt be ideal. One review mentions theyll release a 2.6 pinner soon. Thats what im after. A 2.6 front in a dh casing and a 2.6 rear with a dd weight casing and run that eith a liner. Ill have to kerp an eye on that as well.

I’m on the ATC version, yeah. I was debating the AGC but the Bike magazine raved about how well the ATC casing held up to sharp rocks, so I figured saving 300ish grams per tire was worth a shot. If I puncture again I’ll order the AGCs. Reading the “What does your bike weigh” thread makes me feel like less of an outcast.

I rode Exo casings for a decade with few issues, but I guess those days are behind me.

I thought some of you might appreciate this data. I was happy with the Vittoria Agarro 2.35, and these pictures show it after 1000 miles on the Ripley. The sidewalls were getting pretty threadbare, but I had no tears even in 55 miles of extremely rocky terrain at Grouse Ridge a couple of weeks ago. I'd have bought another but got the used-once Rekon in trade.

Comparing it to the 2.4WT Rekon I've replaced it with, I think it was a little too squared off on the 35.mm Ibis rim.

I only have one sandy ride on the Rekon, but the knob height is welcome as the Agarro was starting to lose traction on loose climbs.

On front I have an Assegai that is starting to look a little worn but which still works incredibly well.

Likely relevant is that I weigh 140#. I ride pretty fast but do not indiscriminately smash into things.Name:  15959499957080.jpeg
Views: 597
Size:  61.5 KBName:  15959499957961.jpeg
Views: 598
Size:  38.9 KBName:  15959499958152.jpeg
Views: 596
Size:  44.3 KB
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I’m on the ATC version, yeah. I was debating the AGC but the Bike magazine raved about how well the ATC casing held up to sharp rocks, so I figured saving 300ish grams per tire was worth a shot. If I puncture again I’ll order the AGCs. Reading the “What does your bike weigh” thread makes me feel like less of an outcast.

I rode Exo casings for a decade with few issues, but I guess those days are behind me.
    It does look like a good tire. Kenda needs a 3rd pinner with weight somewhere inbetween the two i think. Eventually maybe

It does look like a good tire. Kenda needs a 3rd pinner with weight somewhere inbetween the two i think. Eventually maybe

I read that they’ll release an enduro casing later this year. It’ll be called AEC.

I read that they’ll release an enduro casing later this year. It’ll be called AEC.
    Great, especially if they add the 2.6 options at the same time. Liking the possibilities here. Kenda on the comeback

<snip>
    Flat issues with a Kenda, eh? I'm SHOCKED, I tell ya.

<snip> Kenda on the comeback
    While I admire your optimism... I shall remain VERY skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Flat issues with a Kenda, eh? I'm SHOCKED, I tell ya.
    I'm about to order a set of kendas, pinner front and regolith rear. I have a friend in the company, so want to support them. But man, if they flat like the kendas of old they may not be on my bike long.

While I admire your optimism... I shall remain VERY skeptical.
    Im slow to move on anything new. Im definitely curious though. Same with the good years. Im looking for dh casing 2.6's that michelin doesnt have. Michelin is like rocky mountain slow with new releases. Dh34 is a new fave. Really good but i want it in 2.6. Ill be putting a dh34 with the "bike park" casing on the back of my new enduro bike. The 29 x 2.4 is around 1200g and rolls faster than the rockr2 . The center knobs are spaced a but more and are ramped. Still a good depth , good channel before the edge knobs and supportive edge knobs that arent as spaced out as a wild enduro.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    55 miles of extremely rocky terrain at Grouse Ridge
    that's...uh...a lot of miles in that spot. felt compelled to log in and comment.

(since i've logged in) taking a flier on a 2.6 dissector 3cMT exo front / 2.4 dissector exo dC rear for my neighborhood crunched clay / redwood duff / oak leaf litter once the currently installed dhf / agg combo is fully roasted. grabbed the dissectors in a "man those are cheap for maxxises" moment.

will keep swapping on dhf/dhr2DD maxxgrips for the slab hunts but man does that compound get chewed up quick...

<snip> Michelin is like rocky mountain slow with new releases.
    Can't disagree with you...

I, personally, would like to see Michelin approach the Rock'R2 like Maxxis does with their tires - keep the fucking tread pattern, but offer like 3 widths in their 2 compounds with 2 or 3 casing options.

Fucking Michelin.

Can't disagree with you...

I, personally, would like to see Michelin approach the Rock'R2 like Maxxis does with their tires - keep the fucking tread pattern, but offer like 3 widths in their 2 compounds with 2 or 3 casing options.

Fucking Michelin.
    Fkn exactly!!!! They already have the rubber, the patterns and the casings. Just get on with it. They seemingly operate in a bubble

They seemingly operate in a bubble
    I believe the bubble is called "France."

i know this is a mostly dentist crowd... but anyone have time on the schwalbe billy bonkers?

i love the tabletop, but its discontinued, fantastic front tire for dj/pumptrack

i just got a 2.35 ikon to try up front, its great on dirt, but its trying to kill me on asphalt berms, small soft flexy side knobs and asphalt do not mix...

billy bonkers has smaller knobs than tabletop, almost like a cross with a sb8, a tire i absolutely despise, and it only comes in a 2.1, where the tabletop was a 2.25 and i run a 2.3 dth rear, so im skeptical of the billy...

anyone seen one in the flesh?
    how small are the knobs, sb8 size or closer to the tabletop?
    how soft of compound?

frustrating they keep killing all the good dj tires off, tabletop, microknobby, mac2 dirt, all gone now

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I believe the bubble is called "France."
    Ya thats all i had to type.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Almost changed out my tires last night. This most recent gen e13 LG1+ tire worked out pretty well over its life. Price was right when they were on sale.

Got a nice tear today on chunky/fast sharp rock terrain and triple stuffed it with bacon strips (who came up with these things) and held for a bunch more pounding laps but it’s just about time.

Have a 70% tread aggressor I’ll finish summer with and move to a DHR2 rear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1129.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	336064

Need to research bacon strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Need to research bacon strips.
    They're also useful in the winter for protection against avalanches.

I've used them somewhat successfully twice recently. First a mtb tire pinch flat. Bacon strip plugged the main hole but not the tiny little cut at the rim. Still at least got me home although I was pretty much rolling on the rim into the driveway.

Then picked up a nail on a gravel road last week. Plugged it, didn't seem like it was working, but in the time it took me to get my wheel off and flat kit out it had stopped leaking. Topped off air and it made it through the rest of the ride. Did replace that tire though. MTB tire got some patches on the inside because it was pretty new.