Page 6 of 165 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Definitely not. Don't waste your money.
    Shit. Too late. Ordered all those treads after I got the bar measurements along With Renthal grips to go on that 20mm rise fat bar .Ditch the lock ons

No biggie. Those aren't horrible but they're neither a semi-slick nor anywhere near the awesome of what you'll have on the front.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Sort of on topic: Can anyone recommend a solid digital air gauge for presta valves that doesn't let much air out when putting it on/taking it off the stem?

My Park shop pump works great, but the gauge is complete horse shit. I am either running too much pressure, or I choose the wrong tires, or I just suck at turning. Thinking I just suck at turning.

Raced enduro today in the Poconos, PA. Greasyish in turns. Was wet in spots yesterday in practice and I was running DHF Exo 3C Maxx Terra TR in the front, it actually felt half decent, but when pushed in a nice loamy turn it still wanted to break loose too easily. Still not confident laying it over in a wet turn either. Probably running somewhere around 25psi because flatting in a race sucks. Ran the Ikon 3C/Maxx Speed/EXO/TR in the back. Great tire for dry. Not super terrible in wet, but not the best choice.

I was being cheap so I didn't go buy another tire last night. I put the DHF on the back and a Shorty up front. It stormed again last night, but the wind this AM dried things back up a hair. Still greasy and 200 riders made the rocks gardens a mess. I wasn't in love with the shorty like the last time I raced it in true mud last fall.

I think I finished somewhere in the top 20 out of 75 riders in cat 2/3. I just felt too slow in some of the turns because I didn't want to wreck. I guess not laying it down is still faster than pinning everything and hoping you don't lose it.

I just need a medium duty front tire that handles soft turns, but isn't also super thin so I won't shred it on rock gardens.

Thinking I want to try something other than Maxxis.
    I wrench for a junior cyclocross team and one thing I've learned is that all gauges read different, even digital.

Find another pump, any, check your pressure. Maybe use a third to confirm. Figure out how much your pump is of by, maybe even write an offset value on it. Better yet, get used to what different pressures feel like.

If you think your pressure is too high, try it lower. Who cares what the number is.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I like to over analyze things. I should probably work on form. I don't suck because of the tires.

Ended up 16th out of 69 finishers. Could have been worse.

I really don't care if my blue pump is a few psi off.
    Why not just use a shock pump if you're letting air out and need an accurate reading? You guys need more shit?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I really don't care if my blue pump is a few psi off.
    Why not just use a shock pump if you're letting air out and need an accurate reading? You guys need more shit?
    Have you every looked at the gauge of a shock pump... not very precise in the 20-30 PSI range
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

No biggie. Those aren't horrible but they're neither a semi-slick nor anywhere near the awesome of what you'll have on the front.
    Ok. Could be ok to have a little quicker rolling in the back. I have noticed my buddy is quicker on the ups and downs since he switched the butcher and rockr front to back. Rockr 2.35 is wider than .05 than the butcher 2.3. Rockr is now on the front. Butchers now relegated to wicked skids so we can ditch them although they do have decent traction on the ups and braking in the downs

Happy to report that Minion SS is fully enduro certified. Mid-May race in VT with stereotypical downpour pre and during race creating for ruts in every corner. Gripped fine anywhere there wasn't a rut too.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Have you every looked at the gauge of a shock pump... not very precise in the 20-30 PSI range
    oh yeah. Good point. And definitely not gonna work on fat tires, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Happy to report that Minion SS is fully enduro certified. Mid-May race in VT with stereotypical downpour pre and during race creating for ruts in every corner. Gripped fine anywhere there wasn't a rut too.
    Did you (or anyone else) get an actual width on these? Relative width?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    dude.

working a computer helpline of the sort that any HS dropout could handle with aplomb, and never riding/wrenching, that gives deep expertise on MTB related topics.

don't you dare 2d guess SuperStuck. he knows all, sees all, has done all.

I'd box-quote and eviscerate FatBoy's response, but if you haven't figured out by now that all his "knowledge" is based on 5 years of "get the red ones" at appropriate times on TGR fora, I probably can't help much further. besides, the Dunfee-ization of TGR is complete, and now everyone here is worried about bikes-as-jewelry, or similar stuff. either that, or they're woozin' it up with attempts to defame people whose only "fault" is observing the woozer's trusty-wusty status.

His obsession with me is really weird.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Happy to report that Minion SS is fully enduro certified.

Does that mean course marker tape doesn't stick to it?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Does that mean course marker tape doesn't stick to it?
    I punched a stake and saw some tape fluttering as I passed, but didn't find it on my bike later, so I think we're in the clear.

Shop owner sold me on a Vittoria Mezcal for the rear. Trying it out tomorrow.

I went with DHF and Minion SS based on this thread. I have been a schwalbe HD, MM and NN guy for years. Went on one ride and am very impressed.

One note, the DHF 2.3 is small (compared to schwalbe 2.35s). I might be selling it an going with the 2.5. Anyone interested in a DHF 27.5 2.30 3C/Exo/Tr? Mounted tubeless and ridden a few times. $35 plus shipping?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I went with DHF and Minion SS based on this thread. I have been a schwalbe HD, MM and NN guy for years. Went on one ride and am very impressed.

One note, the DHF 2.3 is small (compared to schwalbe 2.35s). I might be selling it an going with the 2.5. Anyone interested in a DHF 27.5 2.30 3C/Exo/Tr? Mounted tubeless and ridden a few times. $35 plus shipping?
    Looking down at schwalbe tires will mess up your perspective. They're big for their claimed size and older maxxis designs like the one you just bought are small for their size. Just keep riding it and see if you still want to ditch it after some time. The 2.5s are heavier, roll slower, and only grip marginally better. Maybe once full dust season hits.

Started the season with strange combination of a Wild Rock'R2 Magic-X on the front and a Tomahawk DD on the rear.

Mounted on a 25mm internal rim, the Michelins don't feel that much slower than a DHF 2.5, but I haven't done a side-by-side comp. Mounted up easier than Butchers with Grid and definitely easier than a DD casing.

After about 80 miles on them, it is astounding how little wear I have seen. Maybe the lack of siping on the inside of the corner knobs is helping with durability? Either way it is super impressive and corners better than anything that lasts half as long.

I liked the Tomahawk last season and put a new one on this year. The tire is fast, corners decently well and breaks loose a little quicker than a Slaughter (no SS experience yet) but it does have a more rounded profile. I do appreciate the gain in braking traction over the Slaughter and it doesn't seem like I'm giving up much in rolling resistance. The only other rear tires I have run recently are Butchers.

Durability is below the other Maxxis rubber I've been on. With all of the siping, shelved knobs and slanted angles, the blocks have lost shape quickly. One more ride and they will be coming off. Maybe I should cut back on earth-based enduro radness.

Will by trying out the Aggressor in DD next. Not much talk of that tire and I haven't seen any in person. Any experience here?
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    Will by trying out the Aggressor in DD next. Not much talk of that tire and I haven't seen any in person. Any experience here?
    I've been riding the Aggressors (29 x 2.3, Exo) this spring. Slightly faster rolling than a DHF, DHRII, or Highroller. They break loose a little easier, and they don't quite lock into a corner as well (although they're certainly not terrible).

I like them on drier, harder packed trails. They're not great in mud - they pack up pretty easily. I pretty much see them as a good rear tire alternative to a semi slick when you need more braking and climbing traction, but want something a little faster rolling than a DHRII. I've been running one on the front as well, but I'll likely swap that out for a DHF or HRII pretty soon.

Was just checking out a tomahawk while buying an ikon. Holy shit those are some huge side knobs.

Vittoria Mezcal rolls like a mother fucker. Really fast. Grippier and faster than the Ikon. Definitely more XC than I was hoping. I think they are onto something with the G+ compound.

Seems like folks are using the Minion SS as a rear...anyone putting it up-front? Pretty intriguing design. Fast rolling down the middle and big cornering knobs sounds cool.

Anyone?

i just ordered some of these bad larry's for my road-rocket!
    700x25
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/05/18/...r-to-the-test/

Name:  Michelin-power-tire-launch-Brian-Hodes-Veloimages-Hincapie-Gran-Fondo-route-Laurens-Test-Track-1.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  49.1 KB
    Last edited by buttahflake; 05-18-2016 at 07:52 PM.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    i just ordered some of these bad larry's for my road-rocket!
    700x25
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/05/18/...r-to-the-test/

Name:  Michelin-power-tire-launch-Brian-Hodes-Veloimages-Hincapie-Gran-Fondo-route-Laurens-Test-Track-1.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  49.1 KB
    Wow. Those are some seriously impressive numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Seems like folks are using the Minion SS as a rear...anyone putting it up-front? Pretty intriguing design. Fast rolling down the middle and big cornering knobs sounds cool.

Anyone?

They'd be fine as long as you don't regularly ride dirt that packs tires up. That would destroy your front wheel braking (which is most of it) with all those itty bitty knobs in the middle. They're obviously intended as a rear counterpart to the dhf or even dhr2 as a front since the sideknobs are further apart from one another so they break loose first. If you drag your brakes a lot while turning, I bet they'll let you know.

They're obviously intended as a rear counterpart to the dhf or even dhr2 as a front since the sideknobs are further apart from one another so they break loose first.
    SS is getting revised with closer together side knobs.