Page 5 of 162 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I'm continually surprised by the inconsistency within a brand on how easy tires are to set up. I've just finished with a DHF & DHRII mounted onto Spank Spike 28 Race rims. DHR mounted up with a floor pump. DHF barely held a bead with air compressor and a lot of soapy water. Ended up leaving a tube inflated to 50psi over 36 hours. After that, the thing set up easy. Neither tire ever made the classic popping sound when setting up, but both are holding pressure flawlessly now.
    Just supports the first half of the theory that tubeless is a shit ton of hassle once or twice a year with virtually no issues in between, while tubes are easy to install but a moderate hassle over and over and over again all year long.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Not even sure the 2.5 will fit my fork. Is it truly 2.5 or less? High profile?
    The 2.5 DHF wire bead I just set up on the DH bike is less than 2.4 measured with a caliper. It's barely any bigger than the 2.3 DHRII on the trail bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I'm continually surprised by the inconsistency within a brand on how easy tires are to set up. I've just finished with a DHF & DHRII mounted onto Spank Spike 28 Race rims. DHR mounted up with a floor pump. DHF barely held a bead with air compressor and a lot of soapy water. Ended up leaving a tube inflated to 50psi over 36 hours. After that, the thing set up easy. Neither tire ever made the classic popping sound when setting up, but both are holding pressure flawlessly now.
    Just supports the first half of the theory that tubeless is a shit ton of hassle once or twice a year with virtually no issues in between, while tubes are easy to install but a moderate hassle over and over and over again all year long.
    ^^this. Well put

Wild rock'r 2 with a pump. No probs. not sure if that comes in full Dh casing though. Ever so slightly wider than 2.5 dhf

Sounds about right. IME if the tire is hard to set up dry and doesn't pop even with a compressor it usually needs the rim floor built up a bit. Run a couple wraps of Stan's tape or one of Gorilla (if you dare). Otherwise, even if you can get it to hold pressure for a while, you're basically relying on the goo to keep the seal and eventually that's going to fail.

Or that production quality/consistency on bike tires is garbage. It doesn't seem to make a performance difference, so it doesn't really matter, but I feel like it should make a price difference.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The 2.5 DHF wire bead I just set up on the DH bike is less than 2.4 measured with a caliper. It's barely any bigger than the 2.3 DHRII on the trail bike.
    My 2.5 DHF (non DH) measured out to a full 2.5 on a 30mm rim. 20ish pounds. 2.35 NN is almost as big.

DHF barely held a bead with air compressor and a lot of soapy water. Ended up leaving a tube inflated to 50psi over 36 hours. After that, the thing set up easy.
    Something I figured out awhile back, even with a compressor the valve core really restricts air flow into the tire. I had a tire that just wouldn't go and had the idea to try it without the valve core. Without the core the bead set and the tire inflated almost instantly. Of course it deflated instantly too, but now that the bead was set it inflated beautifully after I replaced the core.

Or that production quality/consistency on bike tires is garbage. It doesn't seem to make a performance difference, so it doesn't really matter, but I feel like it should make a price difference.
    Generally true. Most companies have little to no quality control it seems. Also seem like it's getting worse not better . Last few maxxis I've got have the tread off centre . Looked like my rim was bent but it's perfectly true. Same with a butcher I just bought. Probably same factory.I have a 27.5 butcher slaughter combo coming so curious to see how their tolerances are. I bet these companies pay pennies for these. All the $ goes to marketing and fancy buzz words. Maxxis warrantee sux. 300 can pesos last year and I'm already over 300 this ur and no end in sight. What a racket

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Something I figured out awhile back, even with a compressor the valve core really restricts air flow into the tire. I had a tire that just wouldn't go and had the idea to try it without the valve core. Without the core the bead set and the tire inflated almost instantly. Of course it deflated instantly too, but now that the bead was set it inflated beautifully after I replaced the core.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by scharny View Post
    this
    ^that
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Generally true. Most companies have little to no quality control it seems. Also seem like it's getting worse not better . Last few maxxis I've got have the tread off centre . Looked like my rim was bent but it's perfectly true. Same with a butcher I just bought. Probably same factory.I have a 27.5 butcher slaughter combo coming so curious to see how their tolerances are. I bet these companies pay pennies for these. All the $ goes to marketing and fancy buzz words. Maxxis warrantee sux. 300 can pesos last year and I'm already over 300 this ur and no end in sight. What a racket
    I usually see hops, but that sounds crazy. Check the bead?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Bead looks fine. Tubeless and it all popped in place. Seems almost the norm lately hr2's both were wonky that way(one more so) . One minion exo was much worse than the other. This butcher seems like it's on par with the worst hr2. Not stoked I have another 26" butcher and a 27.5 butcher and slaughter in the mail. Think I'll sell them new and get the wild rockr2 and the semi slick that goes with it(can't think of the name)and a trs. Can swap the rockr and trs front to back for shits and giggles and have the semi slick for "those" rides.

Sounds like Maxxis just sends all their shitty tires to Canada.

Vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Sounds like Maxxis just sends all their shitty tires to Canada.

Vibes.
    Fits in with our Canadian right to bitch

They're from chain reaction. I have wondered if they get 2nds. In maxxis defence the butcher I got sucked. You must have missed that. Maybe it's the maxxis fanboy goggles. So enduro

one day, this fat little turd will actually ride a bike, and realize that pretending wisdom on line doesn't mean jack shit

Fits in with our Canadian right to think we're complaining, but in truth we Canadians always are complimenting, because everyone is brilliant, even the people like stuckathuntermtn who do nothing but bitch about things without practical experience in those things
    fixed

remember, when you can't mount a tire, it's the tire's fault. always. why? kidwoo said it, he's a GOD, and stuckathuntermtn issued a verbal photocopy of kidwoo's statement, and he's a TGR MAGGOT FOREVER DUDE. case closed.

I don't believe anyone on TGR except Brian Lindahl. he's a genius. he can defend tire PSI in 0.01 increments, and write word salads that suggest the increments are essential and if you're not observing them, you suck as an online engineer in comparison to Lindahl!

what you dream about when asleep, how you fantasize about being Supreme Honch of TGR, how you imagine that everyone in Zimoolieville comes to you for mechanical and riding technique advice, how you think moving to Zimoolieville from White Plains NY makes you the first ever badass on the scene who is fat and can't ski or ride?

yeah.

that's not reality, blubber-boy.

Name:  motivational-poster-mcdonalds-fat-kid-flubber.jpg
Views: 5462
Size:  67.6 KB
    whenever I try mounting a tire, it has hops.
    I want you to think I'm a parodic punster.
    what I mean is, I drink 5 beers for every attempt.
    usually get through a case and then give up on
    the idea of ever riding the bike because
    I can't get the tire to stay seated.
    Please take my advice!
    Last edited by creaky fossil; 05-15-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Nah I was whining. Better options than maxxis now though. Just not as many options of mediocrity with those better options

In other news. Fkn hell $90(can) for the trs' from chain reaction . $60 for wild rock'r . I'd get local but it's a bit harder to get Michelin locally. /whine

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Sort of on topic: Can anyone recommend a solid digital air gauge for presta valves that doesn't let much air out when putting it on/taking it off the stem?

My Park shop pump works great, but the gauge is complete horse shit. I am either running too much pressure, or I choose the wrong tires, or I just suck at turning. Thinking I just suck at turning.

Raced enduro today in the Poconos, PA. Greasyish in turns. Was wet in spots yesterday in practice and I was running DHF Exo 3C Maxx Terra TR in the front, it actually felt half decent, but when pushed in a nice loamy turn it still wanted to break loose too easily. Still not confident laying it over in a wet turn either. Probably running somewhere around 25psi because flatting in a race sucks. Ran the Ikon 3C/Maxx Speed/EXO/TR in the back. Great tire for dry. Not super terrible in wet, but not the best choice.

I was being cheap so I didn't go buy another tire last night. I put the DHF on the back and a Shorty up front. It stormed again last night, but the wind this AM dried things back up a hair. Still greasy and 200 riders made the rocks gardens a mess. I wasn't in love with the shorty like the last time I raced it in true mud last fall.

I think I finished somewhere in the top 20 out of 75 riders in cat 2/3. I just felt too slow in some of the turns because I didn't want to wreck. I guess not laying it down is still faster than pinning everything and hoping you don't lose it.

I just need a medium duty front tire that handles soft turns, but isn't also super thin so I won't shred it on rock gardens.

Thinking I want to try something other than Maxxis.

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-6010000...l+gauge+presta
    I never go off what the floor pump says. Floor pump is to get it to somewhere over your target, then bleed it down to what you want it with the digital gauge. Every ride. Every time.
    The rest of your post was too many words.

The SKS gauge works for me.

Think I'll .............get the wild rockr2 and the semi slick that goes with it(can't think of the name)
    Que?

(that means quoi)
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Sort of on topic: Can anyone recommend a solid digital air gauge for presta valves that doesn't let much air out when putting it on/taking it off the stem?
    I've been using this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-MN-46...n+presta+gauge

Seems to work fine, and costs a lot less than the bike specific ones.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

not digital, but love my accu-gage got one up to 30psi and it's great!

http://www.jensonusa.com/Meiser-Accu...&l=accu%20gage

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Que?

(that means quoi)
    Wild gripr . Not really a semi slick but maybe the Michelin equivelent . Wild rock'r is to a minion is what the gripr is to a ss I'm guessing. If it doesn't have that certain je ne sais pas, I'll have another rock'r that I've ordered. Ordered 2 rock'r 2's with the grip'r in case

Wild gripr . Not really a semi slick but maybe the Michelin equivelent . Wild rock'r is to a minion is what the gripr is to a ss I'm guessing.
    Definitely not. Don't waste your money.

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    not digital, but love my accu-gage got one up to 30psi and it's great!

http://www.jensonusa.com/Meiser-Accu...&l=accu%20gage
    Agree, great detail and no batteries.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025