Page 55 of 165 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 4109
    You aren't saying why my statement is at odds with itself, not that I care. I think we both agree already.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Easy, because Minions have more space between knobs, giving them a better chance to grab loose surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    You aren't saying why my statement is at odds with itself, not that I care. I think we both agree already.
    i think Aggressor is better suited for hard pack conditions because it has more, and more tightly spaced knobs. I also think it’s a faster roller for those same reasons, even though it weighs a little more than a Minion in the same size.

I kinda think of Aggressor as a super sized Ikon that employs the more durable 60tpi rather than the 120tpi found on Maxxis’ XC tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    This plus the lbs' mostly stock maxxis because the consumer thinks theyre the only choice. Viticious circle

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

i think Aggressor is better suited for hard pack conditions because it has more, and more tightly spaced knobs. I also think it’s a faster roller for those same reasons, even though it weighs a little more than a Minion in the same size.

I kinda think of Aggressor as a super sized Ikon that employs the more durable 60tpi rather than the 120tpi found on Maxxis’ XC tires.
    This^^. I also think toast has enough fingers on one hand to count the mm's between knob heights. Those added knob heights at their max height could offer protection over equally shitty casings

Hmmm. I think we are just gonna disagree on this one.

I’m not going to my garage to measure knob height. Both DHF and especially HR2 have ramped center knobs. In the case of the HR2, those center knobs a probably less than 1mm tall in the front of them.

Like I said, a 60tpi EXO tire is a 60tpi EXO tire and I think any correlation with Aggressors being more puncture prone is purely coincidental.
    Not sure what ramps on the knobs have to do with anything (and aggressors have ramps too, for whatever that's worth). A taller knob holds the casing further from objects, and it adds rigidity to the tire. There's an argument to be made that the hr2 loses some durability because, even though the knobs are taller, they're much more widely spaced, thus exposing more of the carcass to damage. If you said the hr2 isn't any burlier than the aggressor, I'd buy it. But the minions are a different story.

And you don't have to go measure your tires - you can read literally any review of the aggressor. They all compare it to the minions (universal conclusion: lower knob height).

Your statements are at odds with each other because you're talking about how you value cornering and braking traction, but then you say that you only ride DC tires that pretty clearly give up a bunch of braking and cornering traction compared to a maxxterra or (especially) a maxxgrip tire.

Especially for a front tire (where, incidentally, most of your cornering and braking happens), DC compounds suck.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Not sure what ramps on the knobs have to do with anything (and aggressors have ramps too, for whatever that's worth). A taller knob holds the casing further from objects, and it adds rigidity to the tire. There's an argument to be made that the hr2 loses some durability because, even though the knobs are taller, they're much more widely spaced, thus exposing more of the carcass to damage. If you said the hr2 isn't any burlier than the aggressor, I'd buy it. But the minions are a different story.

And you don't have to go measure your tires - you can read literally any review of the aggressor. They all compare it to the minions (universal conclusion: lower knob height).
    So you agree that an Aggressor exposes less of the tire carcass due to its more tightly spaced knobs and therefore should not offer any reduction in puncture protection?

The center knobs of an Aggressor are WAY less ramped than a DHF or HR2.

Please don’t link a Blister review.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    A 2.3 aggressor has 3mm center knobs.
    Hr2 is 3.5mm in a 2.3
    Dhr2 is 4mm in a 2.3, 4.5mm in a 2.4
    Dhf is 4.8mm in a 2.5 (I didn't feel like digging around to find a 2.3)
    Another data point for no reason...

A new DHF 2.3 in my basement has 4.4 center knobs, measured on the non-ramped side.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    This plus the lbs' mostly stock maxxis because the consumer thinks theyre the only choice. Viticious circle

Give the people what they want!

I value cornering and braking traction highly. What it appears you cannot grasp is that a Assguy/DHF/DHR DC tire has MORE traction than an Aggressor 3C (of any type). It's not just the compound. FOR THE TIRES I USE, dual compound is the best. More than enough traction, and last 2-3x longer than 3C.

I am not, nor have I ever said that a dual compound tire has more traction than a 3C tire. I think you are reading more into what I said than I did.

An aggressor wouldn't last 3 rides with me, which is why it's not an option. BTDT.

Typically when I ride with someone (showing them around) if they have an Aggressor, I playfully make fun of the tire, and why, and then help them fix the leak during the ride.

I value cornering and braking traction highly. What it appears you cannot grasp is that a Assguy/DHF/DHR DC tire has MORE traction than an Aggressor 3C (of any type).
    There is no such thing as a 3C Aggressor.

Dude, back to the Wasatch thread, where did this Mandelbrot name come from?

So you agree that an Aggressor exposes less of the tire carcass due to its more tightly spaced knobs and therefore should not offer any reduction in puncture protection?

The center knobs of an Aggressor are WAY less ramped than a DHF or HR2.
    They just look less ramped because they're so much smaller (and not all of them are ramped).

This isn't that complicated. Aggressor has lots of little knobs to roll fast on hardpack. Dhf / dhr2 have a fewer, bigger knobs to dig into soft dirt. A byproduct of having big knobs is that there's more rubber between the ground and the tire carcass. The aggressor's low knobs aren't tightly spaced enough to overcome that - down the middle of the tire, I don't think the aggressor's knobs cover much more real estate than the knobs on a dhf.

But if you want to believe that an aggressor is just as resistant to punctures as a minion, it's no skin off my back.

(Also, here's Mike Kazimer saying you're wrong: https://m.pinkbike.com/news/maxxis-a...view-2016.html)

This shit is deep. I think I’ve learned a lot?

Then the Aggressor is even worse than my opinion already was, because it's already sorely lacking in traction. At least for me.

I have no idea where Mandelbrot came from. It's not unusual for trails to have many different names, depending on which crowd you run around with. Flanders is also known as Big Stick (or it was, prior to the slide). Hobo Trail, China Wall, China Cat, are all the same trail.

I value cornering and braking traction highly. What it appears you cannot grasp is that a Assguy/DHF/DHR DC tire has MORE traction than an Aggressor 3C (of any type). It's not just the compound. FOR THE TIRES I USE, dual compound is the best. More than enough traction, and last 2-3x longer than 3C.
    Like one sentence said, no such thing as an aggressor 3c. And yeah, no one that's looking for traction rides an aggressor. Just like no one that's looking for traction puts a DC tire on the front of their bike.

ok, now I see what you were referring to. I don't ride the Aggressor, and wasn't aware it only came in DC. Aggressor has no traction climbing either, that's another hit.

For me the DC Assguy has way more traction than I need, and lasts longer than anything else. The cost in tire life isn't worth the extra traction of a 3C, FOR ME. Was the same with DHF. Assguy has way more traction than DHF, and I don't mind the weight penalty. yeah it's slower on the climbs, but I'm never last so who cares.

Then the Aggressor is even worse than my opinion already was, because it's already sorely lacking in traction. At least for me.

I have no idea where Mandelbrot came from. It's not unusual for trails to have many different names, depending on which crowd you run around with. Flanders is also known as Big Stick (or it was, prior to the slide). Hobo Trail, China Wall, China Cat, are all the same trail.
    What crowd do you roll with? I’m mostly rolling solo these days but like to posse up whenever possible.

I’ve always just referred to that as the Castle Inner Loop, but used to call it Trail of Payne, after Alta police Officer Kevin Payne because he was the primary builder of that during the summers of ‘99 an ‘00. It used to continue through Memorial Grove all the way to the Albion base, but the forest service and former mayor, Bill Leavitt took issue with it. All that remains now is “Mandelbrot” because it lays inside some of the limited property Alta Ski Lifts owns up there.

edit: and you’re right, Assegai offers way more traction than a DHF. I have yet to meet anyone who’s tried one and gone back to DHF.

As a counter point the new dissector(designed mostly as a rear tire and suggested paired w assguy) has softer edging knobs for a predictable drift compared to a more positive edge on the front. Michelin does that with magicX /gumX combo, they just last longer , more damp and more grip, but you knew that

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Sometimes riding slower is tougher on tires with rocks. Shit you’re normally skipping over you’re smashing into
    This.

Living/riding in ugly no flow slow speed tech land, I wholeheartedly agree.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Im not sold on the ass-guy maxx terra yet ( when compared to a dhf in same width in maxx grip), feels almost skaty at times when leaned over, or should i say not as locked in as a dhf. Also the aggressor on the rear aint got shit on the dhrII, less grip on the steep loose ups and breaking and cornering on the downs which me no likey. It’s interesting to feel the change in the bike behavior with a change in rubber patterns.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    WG: sidewall tear or tread? I actually wonder whether DD extra weight gives proportionately as much extra durability. Seems like you’d be better off with EXO + CushCore than standalone DD for similar weight.

P.S. you were probably just unlucky.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Sidewall gash 1/2" from rim + smaller cut right at the bead in the same spot. I patched it from the inside, but it looks like the tire has a small tumor now. Doubt it lasts longer than a couple weeks.

Edit to add:

I have looked at the michelins you guys all rave about, but they only come in 2.3 and I am running 35mm internal rims....thus why I run 2.5 WT tires front and rear.

i'm going going back to a Panaracer Smoke and a Dart that I had on my last bike. real bits of panther in them sidewalls

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Sidewall gash 1/2" from rim + smaller cut right at the bead in the same spot. I patched it from the inside, but it looks like the tire has a small tumor now. Doubt it lasts longer than a couple weeks.

Edit to add:

I have looked at the michelins you guys all rave about, but they only come in 2.3 and I am running 35mm internal rims....thus why I run 2.5 WT tires front and rear.
    Wild enduro are 2.4 and rockr2 is 2.35 and theyre the same width as a maxxis 2.5 similar to how schwalbe measure their tires

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    i'm going going back to a Panaracer Smoke and a Dart that I had on my last bike. real bits of panther in them sidewalls
    Do it man!! Crazy how wide tires used to be 2.025 then 2.25

Please don’t link a Blister review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Give the people what they want!
    ZING!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.