Page 4 of 162 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    And a DHRII for the rear.

Holy shit, I just finally got one, replacing a HRII. Faster. Grippier. Lighter.
    Funny, I did this same thing last year, and now I just switched back to the HRII on the rear. Granted, new tires are always great right off the bat but it seems to roll better for me / maintain more speed when I'm coasting.

Also ditched the DHR II up front and trying out a DHF. Haven't ridden it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Your contributions actually make Dunfee-Gee-Are the place it is. Keep after it.

DHR II a fast rolling rear tire? You cats are on catnip. I rode a DHR II F/R for two rides this spring, great on DH, shit everywhere else. Crossmark 2.25 EXO on back now, makes bike feel like a 22 lbs XC racer thing, and it actually works when descending as long as you realize the knobs are what they are and don't ask them to be like, y'know, Minions.
    It's certainly faster compared to the HRII it replaced... It's paired with a 2.75 Dirt Wizard up front. For the bike they are on, they are working quite well.

I've tried a Crossmark - it sucked for around here. Run what you like, man.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Yesterday was first day on Minion SS. It's my new favorite rear tire. So fucking rad.

I've been digging my Minion SS, too. I wish it was offered in DD casing. The DH version is almost double the EXO.

Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    I've been digging my Minion SS, too. I wish it was offered in DD casing. The DH version is almost double the EXO.
    I think they'll have that option available later this summer from what I hear.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I've tried a Crossmark - I sucked when using it for around here. Run what you like, man.
    Remember, the tire doesn't do anything but roll. It's up to you to manage how it does that.

I'll try to remember those 500' elevation changes in your region are brutal, bro. Same with that 5mph rock crawl, which most of the rest of us can do at 15mph. Brutal!

but sweet for still photos, eh?

(here come stuckie to say, "Crossmark is slow and rolls like shit, I couldn't keep up with my 25mins, 1x/week group ride.")

Also, please read my post as demanding you run a Crossmark, because I'm exactly like kidwoo, and whatever I say is gospel. It may matter somewhat that I live almost 8 miles from the trailhead and I drive to ride only about 2% of the time. People who drive to the trail and have only 100' of climbing can use tractor tires filled with heavy water on a 2001-era 53 lbs FREERIDE bike and not feel any difference.

First set of hr11's I purchased had quality issues . A lot of knobs ripped off in a week or two. The other one spun around the rim like it was a 9er tire on a 6er. Picked up a cheap(new) replacement from a bud. It lasted has lasted a bit better(although now missing some side knobs). I still have it on the front of my Dh bike even though I don't really like it. Knobs are really squirmy. It does shed mud better than a dhf and thus work better in those conditions. Any other conditions I much prefer the minion dhf. Really is night and day. Couldn't believe the minion would be that much better when I switched back. Now on a butcher and I like it. It is wearing quick and grid seems no more sturdy than an exo but the tread and rubber work really well. Been thru a bit of mud with it and it sheds better than the minion but still not as much as the hr11. I prefer hr over hr11 everywhere . C a lot of pro dhers running dhr2's front and back at the world cups in a variety of conditions short of full out mud. I liked the Crossmark for the same reasons creaky does. When it's steep and loose it scares me though. Going to try a slaughter to go with the butcher but I don't have high expectations for versatility. One day I'm on our xc trails the next I may pedal up to one of our Dh trails and I like having some treads and I'm getting tired of changing/fixing tires .Butcher 2.3 now has a slow leak. Thinking I probably pinched the sidewall thru a root section. Trying to get away from maxxis and their overpriced rubber and poor cs. Chances are I'll be picking up some Michelin wild rock'r 2's . My buddy's are holding up amazing. Little signs of knob wear and they are working really well. He says the supportive and relatively tight spaced side knobs are $. He's not one to pay attention to any hype or believe it so I trust him . He switched from minions to butcher and then front back swaps with the Michelin and butcher. Usually doesn't say much but he was pumped to have the Michelin on the front last couple rides

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Yesterday was first day on Minion SS. It's my new favorite rear tire. So fucking rad.
    I liked it on the rear too, but it seems really short (ie. low volume)... paired with a Minion DHF 2.5" up front, the bike seemed off-balance to me since the DHF is so big.

Those wildrockr 2s are seriously the best tire tread I've ever ridden. Even the stiffer rubber one grips better than most companies' sticky rubber versions of good treads. I just don't like the weight and rolling resistance. But for all out railing turns in pretty much any condition I've ridden them in, that's pretty much the THE standard in my mind.

Thankfully tire designs are so hard for people to come up with for some reason, the trickle down is happening. I like the way the center knobs on these look over the wildrockr2s. I'd think they clog up less and give better braking. But for sideknob/cornering support, they ripped off the right tire. "industry standard" wheelsizes only however.

https://bythehive.com/products/trs-tire
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Those wildrockr 2s are seriously the best tire tread I've ever ridden. Even the stiffer rubber one grips better than most companies' sticky rubber versions of good treads. I just don't like the weight and rolling resistance. But for all out railing turns in pretty much any condition I've ridden them in, that's pretty much the THE standard in my mind.

Thankfully tire designs are so hard for people to come up with for some reason, the trickle down is happening. I like the way the center knobs on these look over the wildrockr2s. I'd think they clog up less and give better braking. But for sideknob/cornering support, they ripped off the right tire. "industry standard" wheelsizes only however.

https://bythehive.com/products/trs-tire
    Ya that does look good. Big side knobs like the Michelin and the ramped centre like you say. Casing sounds promising, I'm just weary of the hype and those guys(e13) seem to hype lots. I have no experience with e13 though. Just looked up an article on the michelin(pinkbiike) and they seem to echo my buddies experience and he doesn't read that shit. He just brakes stuff and figures what's wrong or doesn't and gives a thumbs up then tries harder.?i like seeing that first hand so I'm really thinking hard on those michelins and apart from a bit less rolling and 100g difference. Michelin is still under 1000g. How did those e13 trs' measure up width wise ?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I liked it on the rear too, but it seems really short (ie. low volume)... paired with a Minion DHF 2.5" up front, the bike seemed off-balance to me since the DHF is so big.
    It is lower volume than I thought it'd be, but I think it will stretch out a little and gain a bit of girth. I compared mine new on my 24mm internal rim vs my buddy's on a 26mm rim and his looked much taller and wider than the 2mm would account for. My Ardents' casings always stretched a bit, so I expect these to as well.
    Performance-wise they rip. They roll well and the braking grip was good on the rock and loose stuff in the Klondike trails. The side knobs grip like crazy when turning and when leaned over braking and setting up for turns.

Been riding some 2.3" Maxxis Aggressors. They roll a little faster than DHF, DHRII, or HRII, and they also measure slightly smaller than the 2.3" version of the minions. They don't have quite as much grip, but they still hook up quite well. If you don't want to go to a semi slick or more XC-ish tire, but want something faster than a DHRII, they're a pretty decent option as a rear. I'm running one on the front as well, but I kinda miss that extra little bit of grip that you get with a DHF.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Ya that does look good. Big side knobs like the Michelin and the ramped centre like you say. Casing sounds promising, I'm just weary of the hype and those guys(e13) seem to hype lots. I have no experience with e13 though. Just looked up an article on the michelin(pinkbiike) and they seem to echo my buddies experience and he doesn't read that shit. He just brakes stuff and figures what's wrong or doesn't and gives a thumbs up then tries harder.?i like seeing that first hand so I'm really thinking hard on those michelins and apart from a bit less rolling and 100g difference. Michelin is still under 1000g. How did those e13 trs' measure up width wise ?
    I hear you on the e13 hype but no one besides maxxis, michelin (I think?) and continental makes their own tires. They're likely farmed out to one of the bigger plants, maybe the same place doing the michelins.

I haven't seen one in person. I don't have any wheels they'd fit on.

The michelins are 1000g+ btw. At least mine were in 26" size.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I hear you on the e13 hype but no one besides maxxis, michelin (I think?) and continental makes their own tires. They're likely farmed out to one of the bigger plants, maybe the same place doing the michelins.

I haven't seen one in person. I don't have any wheels they'd fit on.

The michelins are 1000g+ btw. At least mine were in 26" size.
    Ok. I thought you had tried them. If you get a chance post up a comparison if you round up some. They do look simple effective. Pb article had the Wild rock'r 2 at 980g in a 27.5 and those trs' at 900g . Could be industry scale. Yes I'm a sceptic . Think I may want the heavier option. Suppose I could snip a beveled ramp in the wr'r

The michelins aren't THAT much heavier than everything else, but the casing is stiffer so you run them at slightly lower pressures which means a lot of your pedaling momentum gets sucked up in deforming the tire. A quarter lb in rotational weight on each wheel is definitely a little more draggy as well.

I won't likely be getting any of those e13s unless they make a 26" version. I'm part of the ignored masses now

If those sideknobs are anywhere near as thick as the michelins they'll work great. Those are the thickest blocks I've seen on any tire, dh included.

Maxxis DHF 2.5 or 2.3 for an non-aggressive rider?

The michelins aren't THAT much heavier than everything else, but the casing is stiffer so you run them at slightly lower pressures which means a lot of your pedaling momentum gets sucked up in deforming the tire. A quarter lb in rotational weight on each wheel is definitely a little more draggy as well.

I won't likely be getting any of those e13s unless they make a 26" version. I'm part of the ignored masses now

If those sideknobs are anywhere near as thick as the michelins they'll work great. Those are the thickest blocks I've seen on any tire, dh included.
    They're going to half to do. Grid or exo with procore is about the same weight and wears way faster. Same with dd's
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Maxxis DHF 2.5 or 2.3 for an non-aggressive rider?
    Too much info.......

Save some $ and get butcher/purgatory grid 2.3 combo. Depending on dirt/trails/use/bike/how many après beers

Save money? Minion DHF 2.5" tires are $50 a pop.

I'd go with the 2.5" DHFs. If you're "not aggressive", then you can get by with the 3C/MaxxTerra version and save 200+ grams over the DH rubber.

I'd go with the 2.5" DHFs. If you're "not aggressive", then you can get by with the 3C/MaxxTerra version and save 200+ grams over the DH rubber.
    Maybe that's just up narth. Minion exo 100 vs butcher grid 75. South America minions are 35. Bike industry good times

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    I think they'll have that option available later this summer from what I hear.
    Awesome! I haven't had trouble with the EXO yet, but they feel a little thin for park use.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Remember, the tire doesn't do anything but roll. It's up to you to manage how it does that.

I'll try to remember those 500' elevation changes in your region are brutal, bro. Same with that 5mph rock crawl, which most of the rest of us can do at 15mph. Brutal!

but sweet for still photos, eh?

(here come stuckie to say, "Crossmark is slow and rolls like shit, I couldn't keep up with my 25mins, 1x/week group ride.")

Also, please read my post as demanding you run a Crossmark, because I'm exactly like kidwoo, and whatever I say is gospel. It may matter somewhat that I live almost 8 miles from the trailhead and I drive to ride only about 2% of the time. People who drive to the trail and have only 100' of climbing can use tractor tires filled with heavy water on a 2001-era 53 lbs FREERIDE bike and not feel any difference.
    Oh fuck off.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Oh fuck off.
    Thank you, but I have other plans.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    just curious, what is 'super-low' pressure in your world?
    i'm running the butcher/slaughter combo, tubeless at 21psi
    158lbs with a full camelbak
    I run 18/22 on my conti mountain king right now, 155lbs nakkid!

$34 at Pricepoint:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Maxx...6x2-5-Tire.axd

Or $39:

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Maxx...-TR-26X2-3.axd

Not even sure the 2.5 will fit my fork. Is it truly 2.5 or less? High profile?

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/ethirteen...view-2016.html

To the t. If I didn't know better, I'd swear you looked at my cards when I went for a piss
    It's going to be a toss up between the trs and the wrr2. Buddy , unprompted, remarked yesterday how much he was leaning into the wrr2 , in the corners(it's a 26er)
    Last edited by grinch; 05-10-2016 at 10:14 AM.