Page 3 of 162 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I had that same freaky feeling running HRII in the front. I think it was almost entirely user error. It didn't want to grip till you really laid it over. If you half ass your turns it can be squirrely.

is the spec grid worth over the control for the butcher/slaughter?

have been running conti mk 2.4 front/rear but they won't last much longer! thought about dhf/ss, tk/mk or even xk but think I'm gonna give spec a try now that 26 are available!

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I'm a big fan of the HRII. It rolls like shit, but traction is solid. That little bit of give is disconcerting at first, but they're just so damn predictable.

The little Maxxis traction liaison crawls up your arm and sits on your shoulder and yells "Hey man, I'm Reg! This is fun, eh!? Listen, you're front tire is starting to push a little, but don't freak out! We're only at DEFCON 1 here, plenty of traction to spare! If you're up to it, you might try and shift your weight, get the rear end drift...No?! Okay, take it easy man, we're not on a Nevegal here!! (chuckles) You've got lots of options! You can push a little harder, but your turn is going to go to shit! Let's get that weight centered again, get yourself back over the front and see if we can lean into those shoulder knobs! Everything is going to be okay! What are you thinking next!? Tillman West, maybe!? Do we have time!?"

Is everybody's traction liaison named Reg?
    no its Mel ... Melfunction is the guy in every machine
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post

have been running conti mk 2.4 front/rear but they won't last much longer! thought about dhf/ss, tk/mk or even xk but think I'm gonna give spec a try now that 26 are available!
    For me, no, but I'm not riding very rocky terrain at low pressures.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I had that same freaky feeling running HRII in the front. I think it was almost entirely user error. It didn't want to grip till you really laid it over. If you half ass your turns it can be squirrely.
    not really user error more of design feature of the Hr2.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

I absolutely love the Magic Mary Super Gravity for a front tire. I don't love the weight. Current bigger bike setup minion 2.5 3c/tr/exo and 2.3 high roller II rear also 3c/tr/exo though I know that tire won't last long back there.

Pinner bike setup with the nobby nic 2.3 front 2.2 ikon rear 3c/tr/exo. The ikon in that spec is 120 tpi which I think helps you get away with a lot for a tire like that. Make pinner tires great again! Great for what it is. I would like to see some 120tpi minions and see how those work out but I doubt that is in the works... Anyway, yah bikes.

Magic Mary SS 2.35 front, DHR2 EXO 2.4 rear. One bike, all conditions. Nearly time to ride.

Yes. For everyone who is turning and jumping and riding over rocks. The small weight penalty is well worth the better feeling tire. The control casing gets squirly because the sidewall is so flimsy.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Yes. For everyone who is turning and jumping and riding over rocks. The small weight penalty is well worth the better feeling tire. The control casing gets squirly because the sidewall is so flimsy.
    I had a Butcher/Butcher then Butcher/Purgatory front/rear last summer. Controls on the front were fine for how I ride (very rocky terrain but I ride light, not much park or drops) and Grids on the rear. Butcher Grid was a little tougher than a Maxxis EXO, Purgatory Grid about the same, Butcher Control a little less (about the same as Schwalbe Snakeskin). Weights will give you a good indication of this.

Tire recs for general XC? I'm looking at Continental Trail Kings, WTB Trail Bosses, Maxxis High Roller 2....
    I ride in the Front Range and up in Summit or Eagle counties. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I'm a big fan of the HRII. It rolls like shit, but traction is solid. That little bit of give is disconcerting at first, but they're just so damn predictable.
    Agreed on both points. Been using HRII's forever. It took some time to get used to but now, they seem to be my go-to.

For whatever the reason, Maxxis is fucking slow at getting out the 27.5X2.4 EXO TR version of the HRII.(that or they sell out faster than they can make them) Slashed the shit out of my front, had to use an ardent with the same specs. Definitely didn't love it. Since I can't get a replacement HR in the tubeless variety, I am looking for a new combo.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Yes. For everyone who is turning and jumping and riding over rocks.
    Hey I do those things! I do have a control butcher on the front because I got it free and there's a magical magical combination with my current rims that keep it from popping.

That's probably the lightest tire I've ever been able to keep in one piece. Am I wrong for liking the lower weight? It's pretty noticeable.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Some questions re: Butcher/Slaughter combo....

GRID vs. Control? Going on a 27.5 bike. Don't "enduro" (??) but do ride a lot and often in backcountry and on rocky trails. Could certainly be accused of being a XC rider. I like long rides and rarely (never) shuttle or ride chairs. I like riding up hill.

Coming from High Roller II, which I'm mostly pleased with...do they roll faster? The light weight looks good, and there are times the HRII feel sorta sluggish.

Anyone had any issues with Butcher/Slaughter on Stans (flow) rims? Maxxis seem to work so well (no flats for the life of the tire) on stans and I'd love have the same luck with my next set.

The price and weight and corner-nobs look awesome on these tires fo' sho'!

Thanks, tire nerds!

Any recommendations one way or the other between the slaughter and minion ss?

Quote Originally Posted by steeze_pizza View Post
    Any recommendations one way or the other between the slaughter and minion ss?
    someone told on mtbr that the ss wasn't that good on loose over hard, never heard this about the slaughter! I just got this same combo above but havent installed yet will report back!

bucher/slaughter grid since I don't really care about weight and I'm up for the durability and also run super low pressure

someone told on mtbr that the ss wasn't that good on loose over hard, never heard this about the slaughter! I just got this same combo above but havent installed yet will report back!

bucher/slaughter grid since I don't really care about weight and I'm up for the durability and also run super low pressure
    just curious, what is 'super-low' pressure in your world?
    i'm running the butcher/slaughter combo, tubeless at 21psi
    158lbs with a full camelbak
    crab in my shoe mouth

You're gonna die.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Some questions re: Butcher/Slaughter combo....

GRID vs. Control? Going on a 27.5 bike. Don't "enduro" (??) but do ride a lot and often in backcountry and on rocky trails. Could certainly be accused of being a XC rider. I like long rides and rarely (never) shuttle or ride chairs. I like riding up hill.

Coming from High Roller II, which I'm mostly pleased with...do they roll faster? The light weight looks good, and there are times the HRII feel sorta sluggish.

Anyone had any issues with Butcher/Slaughter on Stans (flow) rims? Maxxis seem to work so well (no flats for the life of the tire) on stans and I'd love have the same luck with my next set.

The price and weight and corner-nobs look awesome on these tires fo' sho'!

Thanks, tire nerds!
    Ran that exact setup last year with no issues.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Maxxis, maxxis, maxxis, best quality for the money right now, specialized has fallen in quality.

Ikon in the front, ardent in the rear. 2.33 in the front and 2.25 in the rear, ultralight versions of each for XC.
    Don't listen to the kids who say the Ikon is a rear tire.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Tire recs for general XC? I'm looking at Continental Trail Kings, WTB Trail Bosses, Maxxis High Roller 2....
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Currently running 2.3 HRII front, 2.25 Ardent rear. I'll agree you have to commit to your turns on the HRII. Also have a lighter setup with 2.4 Ardent front, 2.2 Ardent Race rear for more XCish days.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I really like the Maxxis Advantage for more XC type trails (Eagle and Buff Creek). Really light and reasonably grippy. Spin up nice and fast. Takes a while before they seal up though, so stay on top of the sealant.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Currently running 2.3 HRII front, 2.25 Ardent rear. I'll agree you have to commit to your turns on the HRII. Also have a lighter setup with 2.4 Ardent front, 2.2 Ardent Race rear for more XCish days.
    Ditch the HRII for a DHF 2.5" and you'll never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Ditch the HRII for a DHF 2.5" and you'll never look back.
    And a DHRII for the rear.

Holy shit, I just finally got one, replacing a HRII. Faster. Grippier. Lighter.

Only one ride on it so far, in sorta' sloppy conditions, and I was blown away .
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Maxxis, maxxis, maxxis, best quality for the money right now, specialized has fallen in quality.

Ikon in the front, ardent in the rear. 2.33 in the front and 2.25 in the rear, ultralight versions of each for XC.
    Don't listen to the kids who say the Ikon is a rear tire.
    Omg. Shut up.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Omg. I should e-Shut up. I never ride anywhere but online, and online I can roost better than kidwoo. Blow it out your ass, actual MTB riders. Online eriding is where it's at.
    Your contributions actually make Dunfee-Gee-Are the place it is. Keep after it.

DHR II a fast rolling rear tire? You cats are on catnip. I rode a DHR II F/R for two rides this spring, great on DH, shit everywhere else. Crossmark 2.25 EXO on back now, makes bike feel like a 22 lbs XC racer thing, and it actually works when descending as long as you realize the knobs are what they are and don't ask them to be like, y'know, Minions.