Page 2 of 162 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    anything with thick sidewalls, preferably black. But whatever comes stock on the hightower

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    You guys feel like there's an appreciable difference between the HRII and the DHF?
    I find the HR II to break loose in the turn a little easier, if thats you thing it can be good.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

On that note, does breaking loose a little easier mean less traction after it starts to slide, or is the HR II pretty forgiving?

I'm finding the DHF to have a pretty wide range of slip angles after it starts to step out, especially on loose stuff; kind of an addictive feature.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1871.jpg 
Views:	646 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	181020
    I watched this happen. Sounded like a gun went off!
    However many are in a shit ton.

I'm going to the exo casing for my rear ikon. I don't do a lot of riding on sharp rocks and the sidewalls got really sliced up last year to the point I couldn't run it tubeless anymore. Non-exo 3c/tr Ardent race has been working well on the front.

Have throught about trying a rocket ron/racing ralph combo but they cost even more. $79 for that ikon is already a bunch.

Is that an Arch EX rim on a Demo 8?!

Was talking to junior last nite, he has put some of them new fangled wide carbon rims/wide tires on his nomad, sez the wide rims lets him run 5lbs lower pressure without rolling the tire off the rim and the traction is awesume
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    On that note, does breaking loose a little easier mean less traction after it starts to slide, or is the HR II pretty forgiving?
    I probably don't know what I'm talking 'bout seeing as I gorilla tape my tires on to skinny rims, but to echo rludes I find the HRII to be a bit vague/inconsistent on the turn in like it wants to wash out until it's really laid over and hooked up. I find it unsettling on the front anyway, though it hasn't actually caused me to eat dirt as of yet, more of a weird pit in the stomach feeling.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kanone View Post
    I'm going with the black ones.
    Definitely the best option. Round and black. The cornering is great. The rolling resistance is superb. And the grip is amazing in all conditions.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Same thing I noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post

I'm finding the DHF to have a pretty wide range of slip angles after it starts to step out, especially on loose stuff; kind of an addictive feature.
    Like Pontus said, the HRII is definitely driftier than the DHF. I'd say the transitions from upright traction to partially leaned over driftiness to fully leaned over locked in are a bit more well defined on the HRII. The DHF gives a bit more traction in that "partially leaned" situation, whereas the HRII really prefers to either be mostly upright or slammed all the way over.

Thanks Toast. That helps clarify. Probably not something I'd notice yet since I still pretty much suck at cornering.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Ha ha. Yea. This is from a local guy who's working at the bike park. Guessing he's operating on a tight budget and just piece mealing things together. Total shredder too.
    Last edited by jm2e; 04-21-2016 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I'm going to the exo casing for my rear ikon. I don't do a lot of riding on sharp rocks and the sidewalls got really sliced up last year to the point I couldn't run it tubeless anymore. Non-exo 3c/tr Ardent race has been working well on the front.

Have throught about trying a rocket ron/racing ralph combo but they cost even more. $79 for that ikon is already a bunch.
    Schwalbes excel at wearing out right away.
    No longer stuck.

Ha ha. Yea. This is from a local guy who's working at the bike park. Guessing he's operating on a tight budget and just piece meaning things together. Total shredder too.
    Haha fair enough, they're the same width as old flows so they should hold up. I just built flow ex wheels for my DH bike, unsure if I will make them tubeless or not yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1871.jpg 
Views:	646 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	181020
    I watched this happen. Sounded like a gun went off!
    Death by ghetto tubeless. Told you so.

'Bout time! Been waiting for that.
    In this case, I'd say it's more a case of wrong tire and wrong rim for the given usage. Especially given that it's a tubeless ready tire and a tubeless ready rim.
    This guy had the bike laid waaay over and was pulling big Gs. Fortunately he did not die.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Maxxis is on sale at price point right now, you can get this exact combo for $90 shipped, think I paid $120. Might pick up a couple sets.
    This is a no joke deal. Some retarded prices on Maxxis tires!
    $27 for 26" Shorty
    $30-40 for 27.5" High Roller II

Just picked up a pair of DH tires for the wife.

Anyone get on the Minion semislick yet?
    No longer stuck.

Schwalbes excel at wearing out right away.
    That's high praise coming from the guy who rides 25 mins/wk. Thanks for your experienced voice.

Anyone get on the Minion semislick yet? I need to memorize your thoughts to regurgitate later in authoritative voice.
    Yeah, help the little pup. He's mastered all relevant bike skills, only the tires hold him back now.

Rolling resistance, sidewall durability, and traction are way more important to me than treadwear. Considering the sidewalls of my last couple of ikons have failed well before the tread was worn I'm not too worried about schwalbes wearing faster. Rode on some rocket rons recently and liked how they felt.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Rolling resistance, sidewall durability, and traction are way more important to me than treadwear. Considering the sidewalls of my last couple of ikons have failed well before the tread was worn I'm not too worried about schwalbes wearing faster. Rode on some rocket rons recently and liked how they felt.
    I don't know schwalbe's compounds, but a friend had Hans Dampfs awhile back and handed me a handful of the sideknob that tore off within a month (about 12 rides, probably 500 miles give or take). It was likely the super sticky version, but have heard other people claim similar experiences.

Yeah I have heard about that happening on some schwalbes, ut I'd be getting a rocket ron and racing ralph which have way shorter knobs. Although if anything their sidewalls are probably less durable than a maxxis exo casing. Mostly just want to try something else after going through like 5 ikons and an ardent race.

I'm planning to get another bike this year that will be more "all mountain" so I can have a bike/wheels with some chunkier tires and stick with light xc rubber on the current bike.

I'm a big fan of the HRII. It rolls like shit, but traction is solid. That little bit of give is disconcerting at first, but they're just so damn predictable.

The little Maxxis traction liaison crawls up your arm and sits on your shoulder and yells "Hey man, I'm Reg! This is fun, eh!? Listen, you're front tire is starting to push a little, but don't freak out! We're only at DEFCON 1 here, plenty of traction to spare! If you're up to it, you might try and shift your weight, get the rear end drift...No?! Okay, take it easy man, we're not on a Nevegal here!! (chuckles) You've got lots of options! You can push a little harder, but your turn is going to go to shit! Let's get that weight centered again, get yourself back over the front and see if we can lean into those shoulder knobs! Everything is going to be okay! What are you thinking next!? Tillman West, maybe!? Do we have time!?"

Is everybody's traction liaison named Reg?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Nah.

I have friends in real life.

They tend to laugh when I crash however........hmmm
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp