Page 16 of 167 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Maybe misunderstanding, but a comparable EXO tire is ~300 grams lighter. DD would be a better comparison. Can't report DD durability, cause I keep convincing myself that the flats I've been getting are flukes, and not because EXO is too flimsy for my hackitude. But, I bet a DD tire would be pretty comparable. Adding 300 grams worth of material to any tire is going to increase durability quite a bit.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Maybe misunderstanding, but a comparable EXO tire is ~300 grams lighter. DD would be a better comparison. Can't report DD durability, cause I keep convincing myself that the flats I've been getting are flukes, and not because EXO is too flimsy for my hackitude. But, I bet a DD tire would be pretty comparable. Adding 300 grams worth of material to any tire is going to increase durability quite a bit.
    Yes dd is roughly same weight. Haven't tried them . Point was EXO is too light, glorified single wall, thought it was closer to 200g difference. Better side knobs and rubber and channel besides the side knobs on wr2 , plus they wear well. Tires I like in order best to less best(worst doesn't work as they're still good):
    1.Mich wr2
    2.Bonti G5 (similar side knob size and channel as wr2 only heavy dh casing though and not tubeless)
    3.Max minion(dd?) they wear a bit more and side knob not as positive as #1
    4.SpeshEd butcher(only too light grid or too heavy dh. Is their dh casing 2bliss?) less positive side knob and more wear than minion

TRS is at the top of the list to try. Minus100+g than wr2 and plus 100ish grams than exo/grid. Side knobs and the channel beside them look real good. Guessing they'd probably slot in /ns or possibly 1st. Scared of less than 1000g tires for daily use and I've heard there may be wear issues
    I'd still run exo/grid (maybe) on lighter backcountry bike for those longer alpine missions if they were relatively new tires, pumped with extra psi than I'd prefer and a huck Norris in the rear tire. TRS might be the ticket there. Stock front and cut rear

Good list. Not entirely in agreement of G5 vs Minion. Wife and I have both been going back and forth with those two on our respective DH rigs. The difference is we each agree on are that the Minion is a bit grippier and the G5 cornering knobs don't hinge off as badly.

Trail bikes: currently running Minions with Huck Norris in rear only.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    2.Bonti G5 (similar side knob size and channel as wr2 only heavy dh casing though and not tubeless)
    You know the SE5 exists, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Good list. Not entirely in agreement of G5 vs Minion. Wife and I have both been going back and forth with those two on our respective DH rigs. The difference is we each agree on are that the Minion is a bit grippier and the G5 cornering knobs don't hinge off as badly.

Trail bikes: currently running Minions with Huck Norris in rear only.
    I'm kind of splitting hairs. I've tried them all back to back with the wr2 and the minion and butcher back to back. I found the G5 closest to the wr2 as far as being an edgy tire. I just did a couple rides on the G5 before and after my regular wr2's.Tread wise I like them all , and like I say splitting hairs, but the hairs get noticeably thicker down the list. Take into account the happy medium weight(for my trails) , tubeless(they seal well), overall durability(wear and casing)and I'm having a hard time looking at other tires than the wr2, although still want to try some trs. Wtb and conti offerings too but less interested and I'm not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I confess, I'm not totally up to speed on their tires. Had the chance to try the g5's. A buddy picked up same bike as mine and it came with g5's so switched for a couple rides. Really liked them. Side knobs are almost identical size but the wr2 is a touch closer together , touch deeper and touch stiffer. Sipes seem to work well on the wr2. Slow af on pavement, like suction cups, super fine on dirt. Buddy switched back to wr2's. Might be just the weight and lack of tubeless on the g5's but they haven't made it on to his dh bike. Collecting dust for some reason.I'll check out the SE5. Are they grid/exo equivalent/weight ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Looks good. Weight is right in there. No 2.4/2.5 though. 2.5 and it'd way same as dd or wr2. Shandro rated it 5 stars in the comments..........

every dh tire (which means g5) works fine tubeless

I've had them on my dh bike with no tubes for 2-3 years
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    every dh tire (which means g5) works fine tubeless

I've had them on my dh bike with no tubes for 2-3 years
    K he just tried them tubeless on his dh wheels. Problem might have been the rims. Too heavy for the pedal around tires though. I'll consider them for tubeless dh tires. I've had maxxis dh tires that'd seal up tubeless but then a few of them wouldn't. Bead was way to slack. Before I had 27.5 wheels. Should have kept them and tried them on 27.5's(hr2 and minion)

Need a recommendation for tires for my GF's bike. She's a beginner. I want to put a tire on that has larger, aggressive side knobs for plenty of grip, but also has nice grippy intermediate knobs (realizing this will sacrifice ultimate grip, but she doesn't lean the bike enough yet so intermediate knobs are a necessity). Somewhat fast rolling would be nice but is secondary to grip. Basically I want a DHF or DHR II with intermediate knobs - something to inspire confidence that the bike won't wash out on her. Must be available in 26". Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Need a recommendation for tires for my GF's bike. She's a beginner. I want to put a tire on that has larger, aggressive side knobs for plenty of grip, but also has nice grippy intermediate knobs (realizing this will sacrifice ultimate grip, but she doesn't lean the bike enough yet so intermediate knobs are a necessity). Somewhat fast rolling would be nice but is secondary to grip. Basically I want a DHF or DHR II with intermediate knobs - something to inspire confidence that the bike won't wash out on her. Must be available in 26". Suggestions?
    WTB Vigilante.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    WTB Vigilante.
    That looks solid, and I can prodeal 'em. Thanks! Any others?

Hans Dampf?

Something black and knobby.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Something black and knobby.
    That's what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Hans Dampf?
    HD is sluggish as hell as a rear tire.

Anyone have any time with WTB's Breakout on the rear? I've had about 10 rides with a Trail Boss Fast Tough rear (Magic Mary front) in mostly dry-ish/rocky conditions - it rolls fast but the side knobs suck. If they could put real side knobs on there it would make a pretty nice semi-semi-slick. I really like how tough the casing feels while still weighing under 1100g so am considering the Breakout as a rear, but worried that the tread isn't as deep as I imagine from pictures which was this was the case with the Trail Boss.

My safer and cheaper option is another Wild Rock R2 and with deal with a few holes like last time. When Maxxis get around to releasing a DHR2 DD 2.4 they will get my money. Not sure about DH casing DHF/DHR2 because of weight and I think they come in soft compounds only. DHR2 EXO plus Procore is an option at about the same weight as other options I'm considering but I'd rather avoid the hassle & cost.
    Last edited by LC; 07-16-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    <snip>
    My safer and cheaper option is another Wild Rock R2 and with deal with a few holes like last time.
    Damn - you've put a "few" holes into a WR2? My hat is off to you, sir. The only hole I've put in mine was caused by a lapse in attention when I ran the rear tire too soft one time...

I, too, would like to try out DHR2 DD in 26" - but I'm not holding my breath that will ever happen.

Damn - you've put a "few" holes into a WR2? My hat is off to you, sir. The only hole I've put in mine was caused by a lapse in attention when I ran the rear tire too soft one time.
    Yeah I was a little disappointed with the holes, given that they're heavier than my previous go-to DHR2 EXOs but I did really like the tread. In the life of the tyre I got two holes between centre & side knobs (I think from pinch-flatting/rim rings, although one time was a small air to a pretty smooth landing) and one at the bead (definitely from a rim ding through nasty rocks). I check pressures before almost every ride but it's possible I had lost a little air those times. I guess running a couple extra psi wouldn't hurt too much, currently I set the rear at 29psi for my 82kg/180lbs.

I'm still unconvinced about the Huck Norris's effectiveness and am reluctant to go for Cushcore or Flat Tire Defender until someone does a scientific test of how well they prevent pinch flats at increasingly low pressures. Vital's comparison about a month ago was entirely subjective in that area. Those two systems weigh about the same as a Procore anyway which seems the most effective system to me but carries a high cost, a bit of hassle setting it up, etc.

I, too, would like to try out DHR2 DD in 26" - but I'm not holding my breath that will ever happen.
    DHR2 DD is listed for all wheel sizes in 2.3" on Maxxis's website. Pretty sure 2.4 was announced in the spring for 27.5" at least, but not available yet. I'm almost tempted to go for the 2.3 but would prefer more volume than Maxxis 2.3".

Anyone have any time with WTB's Breakout on the rear? I've had about 10 rides with a Trail Boss Fast Tough rear (Magic Mary front) in mostly dry-ish/rocky conditions - it rolls fast but the side knobs suck. If they could put real side knobs on there it would make a pretty nice semi-semi-slick.
    I may not be the most help since I'm running the Trail Boss 2.4 both front and back but as I understand it WTB created three similar tires and in terms of aggressiveness they go Trail Boss->Breakout->Vigilante. So the Breakout should definitely be more aggressive, I'm just not sure how much.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    I may not be the most help since I'm running the Trail Boss 2.4 both front and back but as I understand it WTB created three similar tires and in terms of aggressiveness they go Trail Boss->Breakout->Vigilante. So the Breakout should definitely be more aggressive, I'm just not sure how much.
    Yep, looks like it anyway. I've read comments saying that the Breakout is like a bigger, tougher Aggressor.

Just ordered a new Wild Rock R2 for now. Still going to try to check out the Breakout in the flesh sometime but if I see it cheap I might get one anyway.

<snip>
    Just ordered a new Wild Rock R2 for now. Still going to try to check out the Breakout in the flesh sometime but if I see it cheap I might get one anyway.
    Let us know if you find one and how it goes...

Yep, looks like it anyway. I've read comments saying that the Breakout is like a bigger, tougher Aggressor.

Breakout is really an excellent tread for rear tires. They are very high volume. 2.3 is big and 2.5 is ginormous. Weights are off the mark with them - their "Light" casing is like 950g (27.5x2.3) and offers less sidewall protection than Maxxis EXO. I tore one up and I rarely wreck tires. The "Tough" casing is 1100+ grams I think, but those sidewalls are like Maxxis Double Down.

Just wait for the 2.5 WT Aggressor EXO TR. That is coming and will crush.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    <snip>
    Just wait for the 2.5 WT Aggressor EXO TR. That is coming and will crush.
    Will it come in 26"?

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Put the Vigilante my Evil came with out back after tossing it almost immediately... pretty much just one bike park day on em so far but liking them a lot more than expected. Stiff sidewalls, pretty damp and grippy, crazy braking traction, and consistent grip across all lean angles. Noticing a nice even drift on flat corners, not sure if I'll be into that long term.

Otherwise they grab like hell on climbs and the rollling resistance penalty vs the semi slicks I'd been running is hard to notice when the trails are almost only roots and rocks. Holy shit that thing is a pig on the road, though.
    Last edited by WaistDeepGroomers; 07-21-2017 at 04:45 AM.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I am looking for a new set of tires for fast rolling terrain. It has some good DH with tight turns. Mostly packed dirt and some loose. Lots of sleek roots.
    Many 26 options are sold out. So im trying to decide between

Rear - Schwalbe Rock Razor Evo MTB Tyre - SnakeSkin
    Front - Maxxis Minion DHF Folding Bead MaxxPro 60a

Or should I go with the minion front and back? Will the RR roll considerably better than the 60a Minion?