Page 135 of 165 FirstFirst ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 4122
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Not really. A few years ago I briefly had a 27.5” bike with a Baron on the front, but it was the 2.6 which looked to have a somewhat unique tread pattern when compared to the standard 2.4 or whatever.
    Thanks. Still have a pair of fresh Barons and Kaisers.
    Was planning to sell them, but might throw them on as I’m overthinking this completely. Fresh pair of Kryptotal F/R in enduro/sort also lying around

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Thanks. Still have a pair of fresh Barons and Kaisers.
    Was planning to sell them, but might throw them on as I’m overthinking this completely. Fresh pair of Kryptotal F/R in enduro/sort also lying around
    I’d try them. I think the softer the compound, the better those tires will be. Also, for here the Kryptotal F makes a lot more sense than the Argotal.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Does no one stud their own tires anymore? Take a worn mountain tire and put some shorty sheet metal screws in there. An hour of your time and a few bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Homemade don’t last very long and I got lots of flats.
    Changing tires and fixing flats in the cold sucks.

Most good studded tires use much harder Silicon Carbide studs. My 45North studded Wrathchilds were game changers.

I’d try them. I think the softer the compound, the better those tires will be. Also, for here the Kryptotal F makes a lot more sense than the Argotal.
    Yup, will try. But will keep last pair of Baron/Kaisers as well.

Ideally Conti release a supersoft/enduro-combo. The Kr F in that, and I’ll be sorted

PSA:

Bikeinn is selling Michelin Wild Enduro Front 27.5x2.4 Magi-X for $46.99. Bikeinn's shipping cost is $33, but Jenson just matched the Bikeinn price for me and shipped free. Reviews on these seem favorable so I figured it was worth taking a flyer on them at <$100 for a set.

Bikeinn and Jenson also have most of the 29" flavors in stock (<$50 at Bikeinn) so Jenson will probably price match those too.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 10-18-2022 at 06:30 PM.

I've used Schwalbe 26x1.9 marathon studded and 27.5x2.25 ice spiker pros. Marathons are faster, ice spikers feel a squishy in the corners, i think its because youre rolling on the tops of big knobs. Both are great on ice but the ice spiker is maybe slightly better in loose snow. I prefer the marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Just found a discontinued Dissector in DD casing with MaxxTerra rubber. Maxxis site only shows they offer the DD in MaxxGrip which doesn’t work for me for pedaling. Stoked to try something with a bit more bite than an aggressor.
    Following this up, got the tire, it is indeed a 29x2.4 Dissector in DD casing with MaxxTerra compound. This tire has been discontinued and only comes in MaxxGrip now.

The thing is the tits. Weighs 100g less than my 2.5” Aggressor dual compound. Threw it on and on my first ride, PR’ed uphill and downhill. Super stoked and might order a couple more for the stash.

Following this up, got the tire, it is indeed a 29x2.4 Dissector in DD casing with MaxxTerra compound. This tire has been discontinued and only comes in MaxxGrip now.

The thing is the tits. Weighs 100g less than my 2.5” Aggressor dual compound. Threw it on and on my first ride, PR’ed uphill and downhill. Super stoked and might order a couple more for the stash.
    Wait wait wait. You mean there are others of this unicorn out?? LINK PLEASE!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    1st rule of Fight Club, man...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    It was pretty easily Google-able when I did it. I got it off BikeInn (the European Maxxis site still shows both MG and MT- for the DD Dissector) but now I'm looking at the listing and the reference number changed and they took off the MaxxTerra description in the listing. So I'm not entirely sure if you ordered this one what would show up. Good deal either way if you're interested in the DD.

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...re/137757513/p

It was pretty easily Google-able when I did it. I got it off BikeInn (the European Maxxis site still shows both MG and MT- for the DD Dissector) but now I'm looking at the listing and the reference number changed and they took off the MaxxTerra description in the listing. So I'm not entirely sure if you ordered this one what would show up. Good deal either way if you're interested in the DD.

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...re/137757513/p
    Thanks, it's always hard to know what exactly BikeInn is selling you since they do a piss poor job of describing the tires (and Maxxis doesn't make it easy at baseline with their 450 SKUs).
    I've bought a fair bit of stuff from these guys, dirt cheap and occasionally fast shipping, sometimes shit takes weeks to get here. They used to ship Shimano stuff back to the US in full defiance of their agreement with Shimano, it was the best part to get a drivetrain for a while...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I'm Schwalbe illiterate. Can someone tell me what I'm looking for?

DHF or Assagai EXO= Maxx Grip 2.5 equivalent.
    FWIW, the Magic Mary looks more like a cut down Dirty Dan (Or in my language, a cut down Short) than a Minion. So if that's the recommendation, I'd love some input on why it's more like a Minion than a worn out Shorty.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Schwalbe doesn't really make a DHF equivalent that lacks transitional knobs. The magic mary is vaguely assegai-ish, but slightly worse in most aspects of traction. It rolls a smidge faster though. Addix ultra soft is roughly equivalent to maxxgrip, and a schwalbe 2.4 is similar (or maybe even a tiny bit bigger) than a maxxis 2.5.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I'm Schwalbe illiterate. Can someone tell me what I'm looking for?

DHF or Assagai EXO= Maxx Grip 2.5 equivalent.
    FWIW, the Magic Mary looks more like a cut down Dirty Dan (Or in my language, a cut down Short) than a Minion. So if that's the recommendation, I'd love some input on why it's more like a Minion than a worn out Shorty.
    Eddy Current (F) in 2.4 Super Trail casing is the most similar to a DHF.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Schwalbe doesn't really make a DHF equivalent that lacks transitional knobs. The magic mary is vaguely assegai-ish, but slightly worse in most aspects of traction. It rolls a smidge faster though. Addix ultra soft is roughly equivalent to maxxgrip, and a schwalbe 2.4 is similar (or maybe even a tiny bit bigger) than a maxxis 2.5.
    Agree.
    A Magic Mary is reasonably close to the DHF. I prefer it due to the transitional lugs. Kindof a DHF without the the "Maxxis drift".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'd put the MM at somewhere in between the DHF and Assegai in most regards. I find it rolls much faster than an Assegai, and sheds mud much better as well. It does not have the same dead zone as the DHF, but compared to both it seems to be slightly squirmier on hardpack (probably due to the smaller knobs), especially with the purple Ultra Soft compound. Due to the deliberate side knob staggering, it doesn't have quite as a locked in feeling as a DHF or Assegai when leaned over, but the staggering pattern is designed to sort of stutter when you get close to the limit. That feels really weird at first coming from Maxxis, but once you get used to it, it's kind of helpful, and I no longer panic when I feel it do that, I just don't lean over any further.

I'll just add that Schwalbe offers some of my new favorite tire combos, with the Addix soft-compound Magic Mary on the front of my bike in all conditions (although I may switch to a HD on the front of my trail bike next year). Big Betty for BC and wet trails in CO, Hans Dampf for dry/loose conditions, and the Nobby Nic for the back of my lighter trail bike.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'll just add that Schwalbe offers some of my new favorite tire combos, with the Addix soft-compound Magic Mary on the front of my bike in all conditions (although I may switch to a HD on the front of my trail bike next year). Big Betty for BC and wet trails in CO, Hans Dampf for dry/loose conditions, and the Nobby Nic for the back of my lighter trail bike.
    Hans Dampf is an awesome rear tire for CO/UT.

Eddy Current (F) w/ Hans Dampf (R) = DHF/Aggressor combo
    Eddy Current (F) w/ Big Betty (R) = DHF/DHR2
    Magic Mary (F) w/ Big Betty (R) = Assegai/DHR2

Hans Dampf is an awesome rear tire for CO/UT.

Eddy Current (F) w/ Hans Dampf (R) = DHF/Aggressor combo
    Eddy Current (F) w/ Big Betty (R) = DHF/DHR2
    Magic Mary (F) w/ Big Betty (R) = Assegai/DHR2
    I’ll have to give the Eddy Current a try next year.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I’ll have to give the Eddy Current a try next year.
    Like most Schwalbe's they are kinda heavy, but seem to roll better than their weight would suggest.

The Super Gravity and Super DH versions of the Eddy Current are "eBike Specific" and too heavy for me. The Super Trail casing version is not eBike specific and still weighs 1200g. It's good.

The Super Trail version has inserts on the sidewall that help stiffen them up nicely. I can run the same pressures with them as I run Double Downs in order to avoid folding when cornering. I'd agree with the statement that they roll faster than you'd expect for the weight.

Super interesting stuff about the Eddy Current.
    At risk of falling too deeply into the Empty Beer realm, what are widths likely to look like compared with Maxxis? My vague impression is that Schwalbe runs fatter, so maybe a 2.4 Schwalbe would look like a monster compared to a 2.4 Maxxis?
    I'm weirdly giddy to try something new. Especially weird after a couple seasons of disappointment experiment with the new Butcher T9.
    edit: Nevermind, just re-reading Toast's comments about sizes. Thanks fellas.
    However many are in a shit ton.

The 2.5 WTB Verdict in Light/High Grip makes an excellent Tahoe front tire if you have 30mm+ rims.
    It's the best front tire I've found so far for our sandy, loose end-of-summer conditions.
    It works great on freshly rained-on trails too.

The "Light" casing is still incredibly stout, which means it weighs 1100g...but it's on par with Maxxis and Specialized tires of the same toughness. I can't keep track of everyone's alphabet soup naming conventions, but the weight is comparable to a DHF of similar casing.

FYI, Bikeinn has a lot of good tires on sale right now. Bikeinn shipping costs negate all the savings, but Jenson will price match and ship free.

Mentioned it over on the MTBR Conti thread a bit ago: per the (WWC) MTB Podcast, Conti is coming out with Trail casing Super Soft (at least) Kryptotal tires. Current breakdown is SuperSoft/Soft in DH, Soft in Enduro, Endurance in Trail. They were talking about Jeff's new bike (don't remember/care) and how they put some hush-hush unreleased tires on it. Real brief, few details, but the tires exist (allegedly).

I have been looking for a competitor to the EXO+ MaxxGrip Assegai and it doesn't sound like I'll have to wait much longer. Assegai is good, but doesn't last long on rocks. Conti also cheaper (when ordered from Germany).