Page 130 of 131 FirstFirst ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 3275
  1. #3226
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,213
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    ^^ what casing? Exo+ was changed this year and I killed 2 tires in 10 days. A buddy just did the same on the first day out on a brand new tire.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It was like 6 years ago so I don't know. Guy at the bike shop let me return them and said he would show Maxxis. Never followed up.

  2. #3227
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    77
    Why can I purchase 2 tires + pay international shipping from Europe to US for almost the same cost of a single tire purchased in the US?

  3. #3228
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Why can I purchase 2 tires + pay international shipping from Europe to US for almost the same cost of a single tire purchased in the US?
    Right? I got 2x Vittoria Syerras shipped from Spain for less than the cost of one stateside. Almost seemed too good to be true til they showed up

  4. #3229
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    871
    Anybody been on Conti Baron/Kaiser f/r and now on Kryptotal f/r? Or other comments on the Kryptotals? Specifically enduro/soft versions?

    Been on the Baron/Kaiser combo for a couple of years, and probably need to put on new tires before autumn. Have a new set as well as a set of the Kryptotals.

    Enduro bike, lots of roots and tech - both up and down. Not very steep or fast, at least not for long at a time. Primarily natural, somewhat tight trails - seldom get to lean the bike over properly - which you can tell from my current pair.

  5. #3230
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NorCal coast
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Anybody been on Conti Baron/Kaiser f/r and now on Kryptotal f/r? Or other comments on the Kryptotals? Specifically enduro/soft versions?

    Been on the Baron/Kaiser combo for a couple of years, and probably need to put on new tires before autumn. Have a new set as well as a set of the Kryptotals.

    Enduro bike, lots of roots and tech - both up and down. Not very steep or fast, at least not for long at a time. Primarily natural, somewhat tight trails - seldom get to lean the bike over properly - which you can tell from my current pair.
    I just ordered a set of Kryptotals Fr/Re to try once my current tires wear out, mostly out of curiousity. The front is still backordered but the rear arrived. I got the Enduro casing, which feels like it's basically EXO+ but with a very stiff reinforcement at and just above the bead. The actual carcass might be slightly thicker and stiffer too, but it's definitely thinner than DD. Here's a side by side of the rear to a DHR. Can't speak to ride feel, but it looks like the knobs are larger and taller, but more ramped on the front.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2770.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	424000

  6. #3231
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    152
    [QUOTE=sf;6670529]Anybody been on Conti Baron/Kaiser f/r and now on Kryptotal f/r? Or other comments on the Kryptotals? Specifically enduro/soft versions?

    Heh. My burning question as well for all the new continentals.
    Looking forward to your thoughts.

    In other news, new Specialized Eliminator makes for a pretty decent XC front tire. Moved the old worn out continental Mt King to the back which makes for squirrely rear end XC action. Makes flat trails interesting.
    Last edited by HotSchmoo; 08-17-2022 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Tires!

  7. #3232
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,025
    I have a 2016 process 153 that's a pig to climb with, especially since I put assegai and dhr tire combo on it. I am looking to do some xc trails. If I put continetal cross king tires on the bike will it actually make enough of a difference to actually enjoy the up? I know the ideal bike would be a 29 hardtail, but I really rather avoid getting a new bike right now.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  8. #3233
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    5,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    I have a 2016 process 153 that's a pig to climb with, especially since I put assegai and dhr tire combo on it. I am looking to do some xc trails. If I put continetal cross king tires on the bike will it actually make enough of a difference to actually enjoy the up? I know the ideal bike would be a 29 hardtail, but I really rather avoid getting a new bike right now.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I have Cross Kings on the front of my Epic Evo at the moment. They aren't going to make the up feel fun, especially on the Process.

    Go with a more worthwhile tire to make the up more palatable and the down still fun.
    On the more aggressive end, a 2.3 Eliminator on the front and Purgatory on the rear would be a good combo.
    The most XC I'd go would be a Maxxis Rekons or Specialized Ground Controls.

  9. #3234
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,025
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I have Cross Kings on the front of my Epic Evo at the moment. They aren't going to make the up feel fun, especially on the Process.

    Go with a more worthwhile tire to make the up more palatable and the down still fun.
    On the more aggressive end, a 2.3 Eliminator on the front and Purgatory on the rear would be a good combo.
    The most XC I'd go would be a Maxxis Rekons or Specialized Ground Controls.
    . On the flip side maybe I should grab the toughest carcass tire for my titanium gravel bike and let it rip. So many ways to burn money fucking around without actually going for the right solution.

  10. #3235
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,762
    So had the dreaded maxxis exo plus failure

    Bought a 2.6 magic Mary for the front cause that is what LBS had. I really like it. So what schwalbe 2.5 27.5 for the rear?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

    2021/2022 (13/15)

  11. #3236
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,762

    New Season, New Tires, New Thread

    Big Betty? Hans damph?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by whyturn; 09-04-2022 at 06:47 AM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

    2021/2022 (13/15)

  12. #3237
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NorCal coast
    Posts
    1,359
    Big Betty is more DHR shaped and will corner better. HD is more round profile and will drift more. Check out the Blister Review comparisons.

  13. #3238
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Snowttingham
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I just ordered a set of Kryptotals Fr/Re to try once my current tires wear out, mostly out of curiousity. The front is still backordered but the rear arrived. I got the Enduro casing, which feels like it's basically EXO+ but with a very stiff reinforcement at and just above the bead. The actual carcass might be slightly thicker and stiffer too, but it's definitely thinner than DD. Here's a side by side of the rear to a DHR. Can't speak to ride feel, but it looks like the knobs are larger and taller, but more ramped on the front.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2770.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	424000
    I've had a few rides on the conti kryp rear on my enduro. Hardpack and rocks a bit skitty compared to the DHR2 but all manageable, in the loam and soft dirt a dream, the big nobs drive in deep. I got the enduro casing soft nobs. Next time round I'll go for extra soft nobs, I dont think the soft are as soft as maxxterra. They're at a good price for me from Deutschland with out the VAT.

    Sent from my SM-G780G using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

  14. #3239
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    11,786
    I'm going to look for some of these new contis, they look to check a lot of boxes.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

  15. #3240
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NorCal coast
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    I've had a few rides on the conti kryp rear on my enduro. Hardpack and rocks a bit skitty compared to the DHR2 but all manageable, in the loam and soft dirt a dream, the big nobs drive in deep. I got the enduro casing soft nobs. Next time round I'll go for extra soft nobs, I dont think the soft are as soft as maxxterra. They're at a good price for me from Deutschland with out the VAT.

    Sent from my SM-G780G using TGR Forums mobile app
    I ended up returning the Enduro casing Contis. I'm a bit too hooked on stiffer casings and lower pressures - the sidewalls just felt too thin. And the DH models are heavier than DD, even though the casing appears to be similar. The knob pattern does look like it would do better on soft soil than hardpack, and given that I ride hardpack about 9 months of the year, seeing it in person made me less excited about it.

    I did find that you can now get Ultra Soft Super Trail Magic Marys from Germany so grabbed one of those to try. It's been a while since I ran them. I remember really liking them in the wet months but that was with the old SS casings. When they came out with the new "Super" layups, I wasn't used to heavier casings, and the Super Trail is a lot closer to DD than EXO, so when that came out it felt like a pig. And they didn't offer Ultra Soft in Super Trail. So, I'll give those a try once DHL finally delivers it via the Mayflower.

  16. #3241
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I ended up returning the Enduro casing Contis. I'm a bit too hooked on stiffer casings and lower pressures - the sidewalls just felt too thin. And the DH models are heavier than DD, even though the casing appears to be similar. The knob pattern does look like it would do better on soft soil than hardpack, and given that I ride hardpack about 9 months of the year, seeing it in person made me less excited about it.

    I did find that you can now get Ultra Soft Super Trail Magic Marys from Germany so grabbed one of those to try. It's been a while since I ran them. I remember really liking them in the wet months but that was with the old SS casings. When they came out with the new "Super" layups, I wasn't used to heavier casings, and the Super Trail is a lot closer to DD than EXO, so when that came out it felt like a pig. And they didn't offer Ultra Soft in Super Trail. So, I'll give those a try once DHL finally delivers it via the Mayflower.
    I've been enjoying the Krypto/Xyno combination quite a bit because the single-ply casing is stiffer than my old Specialized Butcher/Slaughter single-ply setup. I'm running lower pressures, too, but only down to 25-30. I was north of 30 on the Specialized tires to try to avoid the sidewall squirm under hard cornering. But it's definitely more weight and rolling resistance than my old tires. So I guess that's the tradeoff.

    Agreed that they feel more planted in loose conditions than on hardpack.

    There's a flow trail about a 1 mile bike path ride from my house that I often hit as a lunch break lap, so that means I pedal a little pavement at least 3 days per week if not more. Maybe I'm imagining things but I think the rear tire is already starting to show a little wear, which I'm not thrilled about. I've probably got less than 100 miles on it so far.

    Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

  17. #3242
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,762
    So rode the magic Mary and big Betty combo yesterday in dry singletrack with some soft sand. Super grippy with great brake bite. I am impressed with this combo after giving up DHF/DHR

    Just canít trust maxxis exo + and itís grippier so thatís a win


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

    2021/2022 (13/15)

  18. #3243
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    I got the enduro casing soft nobs. Next time round I'll go for extra soft nobs, I dont think the soft are as soft as maxxterra.
    Shit. That's not what I wanted to hear for my front tire. Do you have any previous experience with the Conti black chilli compund to compare to?

  19. #3244
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    14,946
    I've got two brand new Continental Kryptotal Front in the DH super soft casing... $50 each if anyone's interested. Probably would only do pickup around Boulder, since shipping tires generally sucks.

  20. #3245
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Conformist, Complacent State
    Posts
    195
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

  21. #3246
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    33,078
    Hunh, I was willing to try the 27.5 Enduro Basinite (kind of an aggressor-ish clone?), but they are sold out.
    Last edited by rideit; 09-14-2022 at 02:45 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  22. #3247
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,358
    Bought a couple of those Specialized Eliminator tires that were selling for less than $10 online. Got a T7, T9, and a T7/T9 to try out. Low expectations but at least one of them should be ok.

  23. #3248
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SLC burbs
    Posts
    3,505
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Bought a couple of those Specialized Eliminator tires that were selling for less than $10 online. Got a T7, T9, and a T7/T9 to try out. Low expectations but at least one of them should be ok.
    Less than $10 online? Shit, if you're not that inspired I'll take them off your hands, they're good tires for what I do with them...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

  24. #3249
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Van
    Posts
    3,609
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Bought a couple of those Specialized Eliminator tires that were selling for less than $10 online. Got a T7, T9, and a T7/T9 to try out. Low expectations but at least one of them should be ok.
    There was a 2 for 1 sale on Specialized tires in Canada earlier this summer, and I picked up a Butcher and Eliminator, each 29x2.3 in Grid Trail T9. I only have a few rides on them but so far, so good. The 2.3 Butcher up front is a bit square in profile for my liking on a 30 mm rim; the 2.6 may have been better. They seem solid for the price.

  25. #3250
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Less than $10 online? Shit, if you're not that inspired I'll take them off your hands, they're good tires for what I do with them...
    Are they good tires for going slideways on loose over hard conditions?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •