Page 109 of 118 FirstFirst ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 2948
  1. #2701
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cuntecticut
    Posts
    1,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    The Super Trails are actually heavier than DD in some cases (DHR vs. BB).
    Yeah.

    I picked up a 29x2.4 Supertrail MM to replace on old 2.3 version and holy shit it was way heavier.
    More than I want to pedal around on the front of my trail bike for sure

    Only a couple rides on it anyone wants it!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  2. #2702
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Back in Seattle
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Yeah.

    I picked up a 29x2.4 Supertrail MM to replace on old 2.3 version and holy shit it was way heavier.
    More than I want to pedal around on the front of my trail bike for sure

    Only a couple rides on it anyone wants it!
    $?

  3. #2703
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    21,722
    I'd be curious to try a single ply Magic Mary up front. Just saying. Maybe go all the way up to 2.6, and pair it up with a Rock Razor.

    Still loving the e13's, just wish for more volume up front sometimes. So fast. So much traction. Really. Both.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  4. #2704
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Van
    Posts
    3,523
    I just put on a Minion SS 29x2.5 DH casing in back on my Sight. Weight is about 1250 g, and the tire profile is nice on a 30 mm rim, not too round and not too square.

    Coming off a DHR II, the reduced rolling resistance is noticeable. The tire feels so smooth on flatter trails when pumping to carry speed. When trying to drop the anchor on steep, wet terrain, not a whole lot of braking happens, and the margin for error is definitely reduced compared to the DHR.

    I was a religious semi-slick rider a couple years back, but have been using more aggressive treads in recent years. The reduced rolling resistance is nice, but Iím not sure itís worth less versatility.

    It is still wet around here, and I only did the swap because I put a hole in my DHR II and I had the SS in the closet. I may like the semi-slick better when things dry out, but I have been riding steeper trails recently, and I will be interested to see if I miss the braking traction in dry conditions as well.

  5. #2705
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    13,577
    Newest fave tire is the big betty. Running them front and back. Super predictable, shed mud well, hooks up in the corner, rolls decent , really good braking. I have f/r in the soft compound. Id like to try an ultra soft up front now. Dh34 has been really good. BB brakes better and edge rubber grips and big solid side knobs gove a lot of confidence. Very predictable tire. Its edgy but im guessing my 2.6 front would suit a 35mm inner rime even better. 6 weeks on the 2.4 bb soft on the rear and its definitely due for a new tire(1500km)

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  6. #2706
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    4,608

    New Season, New Tires, New Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I just put on a Minion SS 29x2.5 DH casing in back on my Sight. Weight is about 1250 g, and the tire profile is nice on a 30 mm rim, not too round and not too square.

    Coming off a DHR II, the reduced rolling resistance is noticeable. The tire feels so smooth on flatter trails when pumping to carry speed. When trying to drop the anchor on steep, wet terrain, not a whole lot of braking happens, and the margin for error is definitely reduced compared to the DHR.

    I was a religious semi-slick rider a couple years back, but have been using more aggressive treads in recent years. The reduced rolling resistance is nice, but Iím not sure itís worth less versatility.

    It is still wet around here, and I only did the swap because I put a hole in my DHR II and I had the SS in the closet. I may like the semi-slick better when things dry out, but I have been riding steeper trails recently, and I will be interested to see if I miss the braking traction in dry conditions as well.
    Depends where you ride. I was a diehard Minion SS fan when I was mostly riding in Southern California... where you are mostly riding dry sandstoney hard pack...

    I kept the SS on the back of my bike for a few months when I first moved up to the PNW. But ultimately it was replaced with a more aggressive tread.

    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  7. #2707
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,305
    I recently switched from a 2.4 DHR II to a 2.5 Aggressor in the rear and I'm spinning out on ledgy rock climbs much more so with the new tire. Guessing it's the tradeoff for better rolling but have any of you found the Aggressor needs to run a few psi lower to get similar grip to the minion? Techy climbing challenges are kinda my favorite part of riding so it's been a little frustrating to get more wheel spin than I'm used to (helpful for technique though I guess). Cornering grip has been great and braking seems fine too, it's just more pingy and slippery on rocky climbs which throws me off line occasionally
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

  8. #2708
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,884
    I had the same issue with the Aggressor when I switched over from the DHR II. IMO it had to do more with the harder dual compound than the tread pattern but after riding on it a bunch I adjusted to it and it was no longer an issue.

  9. #2709
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imaginationland
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Techy climbing challenges are kinda my favorite part of riding
    Name:  does-not-compute.jpeg
Views: 325
Size:  21.2 KB

  10. #2710
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    I had the same issue with the Aggressor when I switched over from the DHR II. IMO it had to do more with the harder dual compound than the tread pattern but after riding on it a bunch I adjusted to it and it was no longer an issue.
    Ah yeah that makes more sense - I hadn't thought of that. I was riding a Maxx Terra DHR which is pretty gooey
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

  11. #2711
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    21,722
    I would imagine the DHR 2.4 to Aggressor 2.5 is quite a bit bigger, no? That would need lower PSI.


    Short bit if info: idk that the E13 at 2.4 feels as locked in as a DHF, but that might be because there's basically no transition zone. It's quite square on Stan's Flows. But I've had it horizontal and it doesn't release. Haven't had it horizontal on loose stuff, but the grip is good enough that I think it's me holding back, not the tire. Would be a great tire in a 2.6 if someone wanted a rounder tire or had wider rims. The SS on the rear loses out a little in short, punchy bursts up steep kitty litter to something like an Aggressor, but it's otherwise just as good or better at braking and cornering. Way bigger than Minion SS 2.3. And it brakes way better.
    Anyone want anymore info?


    Also, sorry for the grammar in this post. I haven't been sleeping well.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  12. #2712
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imaginationland
    Posts
    4,147
    Were you testing all these tires while leaning back in the turns?

  13. #2713
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,884
    ^^^ Inquiring minds want to know.

  14. #2714
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    5,541
    Shorty 27.5 DH MaxxGrip 2.5" $39 at Universal Cycles. Boom.

    Also got a couple Magura Ebike rotors to try on the DH bike this summer. See if the 2mm thickness holds up all season.
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  15. #2715
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    21,722
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Were you testing all these tires while leaning back in the turns?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    ^^^ Inquiring minds want to know.
    Haha, fair question. Thanks to TGR forum crew, I am keeping my weight lower and longer and trying to get my chest more toward the bars, and drive weight through the front wheel. Also, the 19+ inch reach of the Guerilla Gravity makes leaning too far back pretty hard. I even have it set up better now in CRUSH MODE RAWR (TM) so there's way more support in the turns (and more pop off water bars, weeeeeee). Maybe less than stellar small bump sensitivity now, but I have the LSC adjustment. Bike and tires are like a freaking magic carpet. The faster you go, the better.
    I might try Butcher/Slaughter combo again one day in a 2.6 if it fits (heard it runs small), but right now I'm happy and not super stoked on how little the Butcher's knobs are ramped anymore.
    Anyway, if you have 30mm rims and under and ride dry, fast trails, buy e13!
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  16. #2716
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    3,062
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Newest fave tire is the big betty. Running them front and back. Super predictable, shed mud well, hooks up in the corner, rolls decent , really good braking. I have f/r in the soft compound. Id like to try an ultra soft up front now. Dh34 has been really good. BB brakes better and edge rubber grips and big solid side knobs gove a lot of confidence. Very predictable tire. Its edgy but im guessing my 2.6 front would suit a 35mm inner rime even better. 6 weeks on the 2.4 bb soft on the rear and its definitely due for a new tire(1500km)

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Cool to hear about the BB, interesting tire to me. My new bike is coming with 2.4 MM SuperTrail up front and 2.4 BB ST out back, so I also was surprised to see the weights of those tires be closer to DD than Exo. I'm a Maxxis guy but did a summer on Magic Mary SG/DH Ultrasoft/softs a few years back on my DH bike and did like those tires.

    Mostly I'm impressed/jealous you can ride 1500km in 6 weeks! Wish I had the time.

  17. #2717
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    13,577
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Cool to hear about the BB, interesting tire to me. My new bike is coming with 2.4 MM SuperTrail up front and 2.4 BB ST out back, so I also was surprised to see the weights of those tires be closer to DD than Exo. I'm a Maxxis guy but did a summer on Magic Mary SG/DH Ultrasoft/softs a few years back on my DH bike and did like those tires.

    Mostly I'm impressed/jealous you can ride 1500km in 6 weeks! Wish I had the time.
    They are heavy! Bit wierd for the first day or 2. Everything feels good though with rubber and casing. I thought they might feel too stiff but both the rubber and sidewall seem to have some sort of dampening. Im sure the inserts are doing something but no squirm but still initial compliance. I can only imagine how much grip itd be to have a front ultra soft. Hopefully try one this year. I liked the MM i had a few years ago as well. Nothing bad to say about it anyway. Only rode it a couple months then sold that bike. I just liked the look of the BB tread pattern and took a chance that it wasnt too round across the top for a front. Held that thought for a couple weeks but it just kept working. Never have to think about it. Really digs in the corner or for braking. Rolls pretty well for a full knob tire with that much traction. I guess this is the year to experiment with whatever you can find. Ill see how the new butcher gravity with t9 rubber compares. Not sure when ill mount that.
    Overdid it on the mileage or atleast the intensity, not that its crazy mileage just lost some fitness with a 50-55hr winter work schedule. The goal was to be consistent and thats been working with the E together with 8 bad discs(2broke,2shatttered, 6compressed, 2 herniated) getting out everyday. Working on a loose training regime with a month of endurance base then after that adding intervals that were basically fun little tech climb projects to work on and then gradually increasing length of endurance and length of intervals or more intervals(adding more climbing tech segments). Took my 4 days off after the last macro cycle and then came out of the gate too quick. All pumped up looking to make too much of a gain, even though its nothing to write home about. Thorasic breaks havent been an issue but bit concerned after my 5k vert, 50km day with some focus on sections with efforts. Probably shouldve have waited til atleast next week and build to it, its still spring. Ive been given a 2nd chance, more like 3 or 4, i just have to chill and be grateful i can ride most days. Hoping to add the enduro bike into the mix more soon if this discomfort recovers as i suspect it will. Park opening soon. I want to buy my pass knowing im ok

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  18. #2718
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SEA>DEN>Spokanistan
    Posts
    2,036

    New Season, New Tires, New Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post

    Mostly I'm impressed/jealous you can ride 1500km in 6 weeks! Wish I had the time.
    He should have added an asterisk as this was on an electric moped. Iíll be impressed when he pedals that on a MTB.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  19. #2719
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    13,577
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    He should have added an asterisk as this was on an electric moped. Iíll be impressed when he pedals that on a MTB.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Over 20 yrs before you knew what a mtb was(not sure you do yet) i rode a santa cruz super 8 w a boxxer and a f der and granny ring on many 50, 60 and 70km rides over many mt passes with 20km highway approaches. Probably about your age. Wouldve stomped you on your enduro rig bud. Up and down ripping the shit out of you the whole way. Couple months from now with the way the training is going on the eeb ill be able to safely say i could do that on my enduro bike. The stomping you part. Maybe a month but ill be conservative for arguements sake. Pay attention son. Lots to learn. Especially when your slow

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  20. #2720
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SEA>DEN>Spokanistan
    Posts
    2,036
    Cool story bud


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  21. #2721
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    13,577
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Cool story bud


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Borders going to open in a couple months, drop by. I know where the trails are. Ill draft you where i can and try and pick up some tips. Youre welcome to camp in the yard.

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  22. #2722
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SEA>DEN>Spokanistan
    Posts
    2,036

    New Season, New Tires, New Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Borders going to open in a couple months, drop by. I know where the trails are. Ill draft you where i can and try and pick up some tips. Youre welcome to camp in the yard.

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Iíd love to man, where are you based out of? I give you shit cuz itís TGR and I donít doubt your MTB skills far surpass mine; but, one thing is true ó we share a joy for bikes.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  23. #2723
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    13,577
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Iíd love to man, where are you based out of? I give you shit cuz itís TGR and I donít doubt your MTB skills far surpass mine; but, one thing is true ó we share a joy for bikes.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Meh, there seems like a million faster riders these days. A million slower too i guess. Our most popular trail by a long shot is a pretty boring 2 way flowish type trail. I slide on to it at the half way for an ez spin up, if its a slow traffic time, for the better blue trails and havent ridden down it in years. Thats the xc area in revelstoke. The parking can have a number of cars but if you avoid that one trail theres few riders. Theyre all mostly blue trails, maybe slightly different shades of blue but fun and not boring. A few decent blacks. The dbl blacks are at the dh trail areas. The riding is pretty well rounded these days since the bike park came on line. Good xc, good slab riding, good steep dh, great alpine and now good bike park type trail. Not often they meet though. All different trail networks for the most part

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  24. #2724
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NorCal coast
    Posts
    1,065
    I've got a set of the new Spec tires coming, interested in comparing them to my standard Assegai / Dissector (or DHR) combo. I can get a *set* of them for less than I can get a single Maxxis tire, so if they're close, I'll definitely use them. I went with a Butcher 29x2.6 Grid Trail T9 up front, Eliminator 27.5x2.6 Grid Gravity T7/T9 out back. 2.6 because Blister tire guide says it actually measures 2.5. Eliminator out back because there were no 27.5 Butcher GT T9s were in stock, and I heard the Eliminator is somewhere in between a Dissector and DHR for grip. And the T7/T9 combo is only available in GG, so that settled that. According to the published weights, this combo should be just a bit heavier than an Assegai EXO+ / DHR DD combo, so seems reasonable.

  25. #2725
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Masshole
    Posts
    661
    Going to try an Assegai 2.5/ Aggressor 2.5 combo for New England summer conditions. Currently rolling DHF 2.5 / DHR II 2.4 for spring and loving it. At this point my DHR looks like an Aggressor due to all the rocks locally. MaxTerra 3c EXO all around except Aggressor which is dual compound.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •